Global News: Canadian man sentenced to 9 years for selling encrypted BlackBerry smartphones to criminals.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5328658/c...y-smartphones/

Perhaps shutting down BB10/BBOS at the end of this year isn't such a bad thing after all...
    05-29-19 08:38 AM
    Global News: Canadian man sentenced to 9 years for selling encrypted BlackBerry smartphones to criminals.

Perhaps shutting down BB10/BBOS at the end of this year isn't such a bad thing after all...
    I know you're being sarcastic but the whole encryption thing and freedom thing are so intertwined now. I'm sure it's the facilitating and not reporting criminal acts part, still, it's legally more confusing than ever.
    05-29-19 08:53 AM
    I expect the same thing could be done today using BES and KEY device.
    05-29-19 08:58 AM
    I know you're being sarcastic but the whole encryption thing and freedom thing are so intertwined now. I'm sure it's the facilitating and not reporting criminal acts part, still, it's legally more confusing than ever.
    Well this guy was a keen entrepreneur Chuck, where is your investor spirit?

Anyway doesn't seem like it was too confusing legally, considering the outcome. Wouldn't it be ironic if he got busted boasting about his sales using some fancy pants slab...
    05-29-19 10:50 AM
    Well this guy was a keen entrepreneur Chuck, where is your investor spirit?

Anyway doesn't seem like it was too confusing legally, considering the outcome. Wouldn't it be ironic if he got busted boasting about his sales using some fancy pants slab...
    The confusing part is more about creating levels of technology like Apple with either no encryption key or the ability to design with security concerns to bypass encryption. Purely theoretical confusion. Maybe fascination is a better word.
    05-29-19 11:28 AM
    He sold more phones than RIM !
    illsince1977 likes this.
    05-29-19 01:25 PM

I assume you read the article that stated these were gutted phones. Meaning the only thing BlackBerry about the phone was the case. Similar to President Obama's first phone. Outside BlackBerry, insides hand built by the NSA.

"Ramos ran a company called Phantom Secure that offered gutted, uncrackable smartphones that, for a subscription, could send encrypted text messages through a secure network based in Panama and Hong Kong."

I guess BlackBerry could have made money just selling phone cases.
    05-29-19 03:28 PM
    I assume you read the article that stated these were gutted phones. Meaning the only thing BlackBerry about the phone was the case. Similar to President Obama's first phone. Outside BlackBerry, insides hand built by the NSA.

"Ramos ran a company called Phantom Secure that offered gutted, uncrackable smartphones that, for a subscription, could send encrypted text messages through a secure network based in Panama and Hong Kong."

I guess BlackBerry could have made money just selling phone cases.
    "Gutted" was Global's characterization. Other news outlets have described the modifications as "enhanced encryption". Whether this involved swapping out the hardware as you are suggesting is anyone's guess. But we already know BlackBerry devices can be encrypted with a private key that no one would have access to, including BlackBerry Ltd - provided they were managed devices. Perhaps an unforeseen (and unavoidable) consequence of BlackBerry making its excellent security technology available commercially.
    05-29-19 03:51 PM
    He sold more phones than RIM !
    lol. BlackBerry's marketing arm should hire the guy.
    05-29-19 05:10 PM
    "Gutted" was Global's characterization. Other news outlets have described the modifications as "enhanced encryption". Whether this involved swapping out the hardware as you are suggesting is anyone's guess. But we already know BlackBerry devices can be encrypted with a private key that no one would have access to, including BlackBerry Ltd - provided they were managed devices. Perhaps an unforeseen (and unavoidable) consequence of BlackBerry making its excellent security technology available commercially.
    Yeah I don't see them actually gutting the hardware, but the functionality.

Nothing new to any of this... been a couple of other cases like this. And back in the day... street corner criminal were using BlackBerry smartphones before most of small business America.

But there is a difference is making a product that can be used by criminals, and specifically targeting a product for criminals.
    05-30-19 08:29 AM
    Yeah I don't see them actually gutting the hardware, but the functionality.

Nothing new to any of this... been a couple of other cases like this. And back in the day... street corner criminal were using BlackBerry smartphones before most of small business America.

But there is a difference is making a product that can be used by criminals, and specifically targeting a product for criminals.
    Yeah, they didn't gut any hardware. That's just Phantom, the feds and media being extra with the complaint info.

Whereas the standard BlackBerry handset is sold to the public with all the customary smartphone functionalities, PHANTOM marketing materials state that when PHANTOM SECURE receives the BlackBerry handsets, its technical team removes the hardware and software responsible for all external architecture, including voice communication, microphone, GPS navigation, camera, Internet, and Messenger service.

They basically just loaded their PGP apps and disabled other functions. It's an old trick that has been caught onto for a while now. Even El Chapo had a Canadian doing it to his devices. Might even be the same provider lol. Phantom Secure also offered the same thing for Samsung devices. - https://crackberry.com/feds-swoop-ph...-organizations

How do you sell 7000 BlackBerry phones to corporate clients?-phantom-secure-1.jpg
    05-30-19 11:00 AM
    Yeah, they didn't gut any hardware. That's just Phantom, the feds and media being extra with the complaint info.

They basically just loaded their PGP apps and disabled other functions. It's an old trick that has been caught onto for a while now. Even El Chapo had a Canadian doing it to his devices. Might even be the same provider lol. Phantom Secure also offered the same thing for Samsung devices.
    You watch the movie these big crime syndicates always have their own IT guys.... clearly that isn't the case.
    05-30-19 11:18 AM
    You watch the movie these big crime syndicates always have their own IT guys.... clearly that isn't the case.
    El Chapo really did. Debateable how good he was though, I suppose.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/ameri...uez/index.html

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...guy-screwed-up
    05-30-19 11:20 AM