I bought a preowned blackberry classic today and the person who sold the phone did not disable anti-theft protection. Is it possible to remove the protection myself?
    07-21-15 06:56 PM
    I bought a preowned blackberry classic today and the person who sold the phone did not disable anti-theft protection. Is it possible to remove the protection myself?
    The answer should be "no". Otherwise, it would defy the whole point of having that option.

The person should log in with their credentials and disable it.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2339 CB10 
    raino and CDM76 like this.
    07-21-15 07:02 PM
    Please return to owner

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 07:10 PM
    Please return to owner

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Sovereign sir mictol
    mkelley65 and Don_Henry like this.
    07-22-15 02:37 AM
    He probably stole it and sold it to you. It is also possible you may not be able to connect the phone

Posted via CB30
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 04-26-16 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Personal Attacks
    07-22-15 05:14 AM
    You may want to try this. I wanted to delete the anti theft on my wife's z10 and forgot the id password. I messed up the ID sign-in to the point where it kept asking for the password over and over again. It appears that I was unable to correct my problem with the version 10.3.2, although it was possible to do it if I had and older version. I wrote up my problem in Blackberry's Support Forum and waited for a solution. None ever came so I tried to wipe the Z10. This didn't work and according to Blackberry instructions it stated that it couldn't be done. I then hooked the phone to Blackberry Link and surprisingly was able to wipe the phone. I advised Blackberry Support what I did and put forth my thoughts on the fact that the latest OS version anti theft protection did not work. I have heard nothing to date. You can try this if you want to and see if it will work.
    07-22-15 05:56 AM
    You may want to try this. I wanted to delete the anti theft on my wife's z10 and forgot the id password. I messed up the ID sign-in to the point where it kept asking for the password over and over again. It appears that I was unable to correct my problem with the version 10.3.2, although it was possible to do it if I had and older version. I wrote up my problem in Blackberry's Support Forum and waited for a solution. None ever came so I tried to wipe the Z10. This didn't work and according to Blackberry instructions it stated that it couldn't be done. I then hooked the phone to Blackberry Link and surprisingly was able to wipe the phone. I advised Blackberry Support what I did and put forth my thoughts on the fact that the latest OS version anti theft protection did not work. I have heard nothing to date. You can try this if you want to and see if it will work.
    So you can wipe the phone and enter new bbid?

BlackBerry -Secured to the Core | CB MOD
    07-22-15 06:19 AM
    Are you positive you're not confusing password and BlackBerry ID? Many, many have tried what you describe without being able to circumvent the system. If you managed it, it must have been a one in a <arbitrary large number> glitch.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-22-15 06:28 AM
    If the device has a password lock, just enter a wrong password 10 times and it'll wipe the entire device.

Disclaimer: last time I used this last resort was on 2 legacy devices. I don't know if the same applies to anti-theft.
    07-22-15 06:31 AM
    If the device has a password lock, just enter a wrong password 10 times and it'll wipe the entire device.

Disclaimer: last time I used this last resort was on 2 legacy devices. I don't know if the same applies to anti-theft.
    Anti-theft is something else entirely.

When enabled, a phone will become useless if someone wipes it or runs an autoloader without knowing the owner's BlackBerry ID.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-22-15 06:36 AM
    You wiped the phone without entering the BlackBerry ID?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 06:45 AM
    So you can wipe the phone and enter new bbid?

BlackBerry -Secured to the Core | CB MOD
    I think he meant that you could wipe the phone from link by entering the credentials on the pc, because the phone is inaccessible to connect it to a network to sign in normally, since it doesn't know his home wifi.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 08:32 AM
    It will take some time, but word will get around. Lost or stolen BBs are useless. Rather than try to wipe them - wait for owner to locate and at least collect a small 'finders fee'. Most smart owner's put contact info on the lock screen for just this purpose.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-22-15 08:46 AM
    If you wiped the phone using Settings -> Security -> Security Wipe and that only, it will deactivate the Anti-Theft since you entered your BBID.

However, if you wiped using 10x wrong password, Blackberry Link or even using Autoloader, you're out of luck.

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | Globe PH
    07-22-15 08:51 AM
    This was not a screen password problem as suggested. That was still useable. I was unable to use the Blackberry ID to remove the Anti-Theft feature as I didn't know the password and attempted to replace it to no success on my part. The phone repeatedly asked me to enter my password which I didn't have. I was also unable to purchase apps from Blackberry without signing in to my Blackberry ID. I could still use the phone just like I had when the ID was present. The phone couldn't wipe itself to original state on its own but when it was connected to Blackberry Link it wiped itself back to Factory state. I then started up the phone just like it was new. Blackberry's own directives about ID changes states it cannot be done in Version 10.3.2 once the password has been lost. I tried to contact Blackberry support with my problem of not being able to change the password in my situation and that it would be a problem to future owners should the same happened. I was told BB was looking into it. I then found my way to wipe the Z10 and start it up clean. I advised BB support of my findings and the fact that the Anti-Theft feature is beatable. I never heard from them again.
    07-22-15 11:40 AM
    This my original query to BB Support Forum: Cannot disable my z10 Blackberry Protect after ch... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums. You can read it for more details specific to my previous problem and solution.
    07-22-15 11:50 AM
    Strange, shouldn't Link's wipe and factory reset trip the BlackBerry Protect check. This is indeed a bug.

I think their KB states that if reset this way, the phone should ask for the old BBID

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Z30 | STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | Globe PH
    07-22-15 12:38 PM
    hoser7, which version of 10.3.2?
    07-22-15 03:11 PM
    Houston you may have a problem!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 03:32 PM
    Just as an aside, one poster reports getting their phone back from service, going out on 10.3.2 and coming back on 10.3.1. Claims PIN and IMEI were same and phone had "identifiable" marks on chassis. I think we are early into this...
    07-22-15 03:52 PM
    Is anyone in a position with an extra phone on the newest OS to test this?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 04:50 PM
    The explanation is simple. If he bothers to confirm he might see he logged on to BBlink with his Blackberry ID. And as such he was able to do what he did. I meant he was already logged in to BBLink with the Blackberry ID.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-22-15 05:37 PM
    Nice!
    07-23-15 03:23 AM
    If someone does try to wipe the device and it becomes useless. Could you afterwards restore it with your BBID? Perhaps someone tried to screw you for instance and then gave your device back. Really stretching it here.
    07-23-15 03:26 AM
    The OS version on the phone I wiped is 10.3.2.440. It is still being used. Also the question re BB Link using BB ID, I went on it and see no correlation of this program to requesting the phones BBID. Plus you must remember that the password used originally to access the Anti-Theft feature was changed by me after having forgotten it and trying to re-establish it. Once I changed the BBID password sign-in, there was no way to recover it on the phone or network. In fact Blackberry still is unable to answer my original question as to how to restore the phone when the ID password is forgotten and messed up as in my situation. The solution I used makes the protection feature useless.
    07-23-15 09:04 AM
71 123