• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    I have had my Classic for 2 1/2 years. It stays on almost all the time and I have charged it almost every night. Until two weeks ago, it was seldom less than 60% when I put it on charge. Then, it started "draining".

Each day it got a bit worse. I ensured that Locations were off (that was my standard anyway), I turned off LTE on the phone (we had issues here after a thunderstorm anyway). it seems that it isn't just draining, it has gone into some kind of short charge/discharge cycle. After only about 30 minutes of charging, it will claim a full battery, which will then go into Battery Saving Mode (@20%) after about 2 hours of standby (not even using the phone).

Last night I did a security wipe and reload. I put nothing except 2 email accounts on the phone and left it to charge with the original Blackberry wall charger (cube) and cable. This morning I unplugged it, it said 100% then 30 minutes later it was at 20%.

I then plugged the phone back in and watched while within 15 seconds the charging light went on, the phone said 100% charged and the light went off.

I plugged it in again and just checked now, lights were off indicating it wasn't charging - when I unplugged it, it said 97% but then when I plugged it in it said 34% and started charging again.

Is the battery somehow ruined? I admit to not using the real Blackberry charger very often and sometimes charging using my PC (I synchronize with Link & Outlook).
    Is there anything I can do to salvage my phone? The phone has been perfect until 2 weeks ago.

More Information:
    I took the phone and charger with me today. In general, the battery charging "lightning bolt" icon goes on for about 1-2 minutes and turns off; the battery indicates 100%. If I then unplug the charger for at least 20 seconds and plug it in again, the battery charging icon turns on and the battery state indicates anywhere from 2% to 87% charged; shows that it is charging for 1-2 minutes then the icon stops flashing and the battery says 100%. I have plugged and unplugged it dozens of times today with the same results. I'd have to say that it just isn't charging; somehow it thinks it is full and turns off the charger. If you leave it unplugged for any length of time, it goes into Battery Saver Mode. I've attached my Graph of today.
    Attached Thumbnails How do I fix, Classic battery draining and recharging fast?-20170829-battery.png  
    Last edited by Cathy Calvert; 08-29-17 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    08-29-17 06:17 AM
    My last update: It has now been about 4-5 weeks since I first noticed a problem with my phone. It took about a week for the battery "draining" problem to be severe - that is that within a few hours it would indicate a seriously depleted charge and I would panic to plug it in - then it would indicate that it was fully charged in a very short time (10 minutes or less).
    I almost bought a new phone. I almost bought a new battery but did neither. It probably helped that those decisions were coming on a Friday and I had the weekend to think further. We did take the back off and unplug the battery (it is not meant to be replaced really) but that didn't seem to help. I also did several system resets; but even running a factory load with no other apps or data didn't help.

What did help was leaving the phone active at "0%" one evening. It indicated 0% and I continued to use the phone; played a couple games of solitaire and watched a YouTube video and turned off Battery Saver Mode. When I plugged it in that night, the graph at Settings>App Manager> Device Monitor> Battery Usage showed I had used the phone for 5 hours at 0% battery.

Since then, the calibration of the battery charge indicator has been back to "normal" or what I expect to see. This morning after unplugging, it shows 1 day and 12 hours of battery life - a number which seems accurate for me and my phone.

Still think it was a software problem. I hope this "analysis" helps someone. I know I just saved a few hundred dollars I was willing to spend because I love my phone.
    Hi Cathy,

I seem to have a similar problem although yours is much worse. My BlackBerry Classic is about 2.5 years old. In the last few weeks the battery charge/discharge cycle length has rapidly decreased.

I initially thought that the battery capacity was degraded due to age/cycle count (I've seen this many times with laptops). However one time when the battery reached 0% I ignored it and to my surprise the phone continued to operate for hours.

I think there might be a problem with the battery calibration in the operating system but I don't know how to reset it in BB10. I have done lots of searching but have found nothing. This is a common thing on Android.

Perhaps you could try to see how long your phone operates once the battery is "empty" and reaches 0%?

To illustrate this issue I've attached a screen shot from my phone's device monitor showing the unusual rapid loss of battery and the device continuing to operate for 6+ hours on an "empty" battery.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails How do I fix, Classic battery draining and recharging fast?-img_20170829_223956.png  
    Kangaberry likes this.
    08-29-17 08:35 AM
    I am having the same problem, my classic isn't making it through the day anymore and while I hate to leave blackberry, I can't change the battery and they yet to make a classic/android. I see they have the passport in android but not the classic, and I would prefer a 9900 in android.
    08-31-17 11:29 PM
    So the situation with my Classic didn't really change, but like RVumbaca I just let it run yesterday. About 2 pm it said 0% and went into battery saving mode. I continued to use the phone to send texts, make phone calls etc. At about 8 pm, my son watched a short YouTube video (for testing purposes). The phone continued to work and still said 0% when I plugged it in at 10 pm. Before 10:30 pm, it said 100% but I just left it overnight.
    Today, I had a quick drop in battery when I first unplugged it (100 down to 80) but then it the battery capacity is going down at a more normal rate (about 1.5 x my old rate though). It now says 35% where it should say about 65% but, it hasn't "drained" today. I even turned off the battery saving mode this morning . I feel that the phone might be straightening itself out -- I still feel that it is a software problem, not the battery.
    09-02-17 06:32 PM
    My problem is kind of simillar. I use my Classic for over two years and despite some issues with compatibility with other, non-BB users it was fine. But for the last week, maybe two, something strange is happening when it comes to battery usage. After eight hours at work battery level dropped to 7% before I reached home. At the moment it consumes about 10-12% per hour. I read about some Android apps issues, BBM causing problems, Hub refreshing... None of these worked for me just like resetting the device.

The most curious thing is that it's standby that uses 1/3 of the whole battery life, with system consuming another quarter. Apps are far far behind with marginal use over the time - 4% or so at its maximum.

I admit that I still have to check whether whole 0% thing works at my phone, but does anyone have an idea what I might try next?

Posted via CB10

[EDIT]

My battery didn't run on 0% however after uninstalling several Android applications everything seems to be back to normal. After eight hours of work I still have 81% of battery life and standby mode used 1.8% in this time. Nonetheless I still havent found which exact app caused these problems.
    Last edited by arvedui89; 09-11-17 at 09:17 AM.
    09-08-17 10:51 AM
    Hello everybody,

So the situation with my Classic didn't really change, but like RVumbaca I just let it run yesterday. About 2 pm it said 0% and went into battery saving mode. I continued to use the phone to send texts, make phone calls etc. At about 8 pm, my son watched a short YouTube video (for testing purposes). The phone continued to work and still said 0% when I plugged it in at 10 pm. Before 10:30 pm, it said 100% but I just left it overnight.
    My Classic faces exactly the same problem, which seems very strange.

I still feel that it is a software problem, not the battery.
    Yes, I think this sounds possible.

Does anyone knows how to read the status file from the Battery Manager?

If opening file:///pps/system/BattMgr/status you will get a text file in JSON format, but I don't know what excactly the values should tell me.

Regards,
    Ingo
    09-14-17 05:30 AM
    I experienced the same problem, and I may have found a solution. I used the phone until it died completely, and then let it charge until the led indicator turned green. The first time it worked for a couple of days. I did this a few more times, in addition I did not use the phone while it was charging and left it in the charger all night. I also download an app called battery charger from BlackBerry world to monitor the health of the battery. Originally when I installed the app, it was showing my battery health at 20% currently it shows 100%, and bbve is also showing health as green. I should add, one or two times after letting the phone die when the battery showed 69%, and I was multi tasking the phone shut off. I plugged it in and let it charge WITHOUT using the phone until device monitor showed 100%. I recommend you try this and see if it works. As a side note I only used the original BlackBerry charger while doing the above mentioned. If you have any questions or I was not clear feel free to post below or pm me.
    09-14-17 07:30 AM
    My last update: It has now been about 4-5 weeks since I first noticed a problem with my phone. It took about a week for the battery "draining" problem to be severe - that is that within a few hours it would indicate a seriously depleted charge and I would panic to plug it in - then it would indicate that it was fully charged in a very short time (10 minutes or less).
    I almost bought a new phone. I almost bought a new battery but did neither. It probably helped that those decisions were coming on a Friday and I had the weekend to think further. We did take the back off and unplug the battery (it is not meant to be replaced really) but that didn't seem to help. I also did several system resets; but even running a factory load with no other apps or data didn't help.

What did help was leaving the phone active at "0%" one evening. It indicated 0% and I continued to use the phone; played a couple games of solitaire and watched a YouTube video and turned off Battery Saver Mode. When I plugged it in that night, the graph at Settings>App Manager> Device Monitor> Battery Usage showed I had used the phone for 5 hours at 0% battery.

Since then, the calibration of the battery charge indicator has been back to "normal" or what I expect to see. This morning after unplugging, it shows 1 day and 12 hours of battery life - a number which seems accurate for me and my phone.

Still think it was a software problem. I hope this "analysis" helps someone. I know I just saved a few hundred dollars I was willing to spend because I love my phone.
    09-18-17 06:34 AM

Kangaberry likes this.
    09-18-17 06:34 AM
    Hello everybody,

I would like to say thank you to eiruvrav who encouraged me to do the "run at 0 %" for a long time.

My phone lasted one and a half day at zero percent, battery status was reported "dead" at this time.
    After that I charged it for a day it worked quite normal.

Today the health state of the battery is reported "good" again.

Regards,
    Ingo
    eiruvrav likes this.
    09-19-17 02:01 AM
    I am having the same problem as you describe above, Cathy. My usage graph looks almost identical. However, I have always only used the BlackBerry charger, so I do not think that is an issue.
    In reading further down the thread, I will try using at 0% until it dies. That's what has been even more bizarre: it goes down to 0% within 30 minutes of being unplugged, recharges to 100% in 20 minutes or so, and then stays on at 0% for over an hour, until I plug it in. I'll resist the temptation to replug and let it totally die.
    11-16-17 01:03 PM
    Hey, Cathy (and RVumbaca). You're lifesavers! Your keep-using-at 0% idea worked for me too. Had exactly the same scenario with my two-and-a-half year-old beloved Classic, which inexplicably started draining very quickly. Working normally again now. Thanks for the tip!
    eiruvrav likes this.
    11-29-17 02:35 AM
    Wished I had of read that before buying a Priv, mines is back to normal also after continuing to use it with 0%.

In some ways I miss the old Classic, but I miss my old 9900 more...
    12-25-17 12:28 AM
    I had the same problems with battery,i have replaced with a new one reloaded the firmware pushing the limits at o%. Now the issue is that when battery level is arround 30% the phone shut s down suddenly and the only thing to do is to plug in the charger.I also think it is a software problem regarding a desync between real level of battery and how the os understands that.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-17 04:11 PM
    Count me another member of this club. Also after 2 1/2 years, my phone started draining in 4-5 hours. Fortunately, I saw this thread before I started swapping batteries or buying phones, or even doing a factory reset . I charged my phone to 100%, then used it normally. Within 2-3 hours it went into battery saving mode ( which in my case means dim the screen and turn off location services), and within 5 hours it was down to zero%. I continued to use it normally for a total of...drum roll, please...47 hours! (I'm not a real heavy user, but still, some dead battery!) When it shut itself off, I gave it a half hour, then plugged it in. In short order, the green light came on, but I left it for five hours. Since then, two days so far, it's been normal. Thanks to the Crackberry community!
    BerryRipe likes this.
    05-20-18 08:56 PM
    Count me another member of this club. Also after 2 1/2 years, my phone started draining in 4-5 hours. Fortunately, I saw this thread before I started swapping batteries or buying phones, or even doing a factory reset . I charged my phone to 100%, then used it normally. Within 2-3 hours it went into battery saving mode ( which in my case means dim the screen and turn off location services), and within 5 hours it was down to zero%. I continued to use it normally for a total of...drum roll, please...47 hours! (I'm not a real heavy user, but still, some dead battery!) When it shut itself off, I gave it a half hour, then plugged it in. In short order, the green light came on, but I left it for five hours. Since then, two days so far, it's been normal. Thanks to the Crackberry community!
    Man after reading this I'm just hoping my Classic gives me these issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-18 09:01 PM
    This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing. I've had my Classic for 2-3 years now and always experienced excellent battery life so was surprised when this started. I'm following the advice on this thread and running it at 0%. The flashing light is annoying and it keeps going into battery saving mode even though I have always had that turned off, but whatever. I'll see how long it runs with at 0% before it really dies. I hope I have the same success as everyone is reporting here!
    Last edited by beanwean; 07-11-18 at 01:38 PM.
    07-06-18 10:14 PM
    Update: My Classic ran at 0% from July 6th to sometime in the early hours of July 10th. I plugged it in to the wall charger at 5am and left it there until I came home ten hours later. It's been fine since--at 82% now, which is typical for my usage. Hooray!
    pkcable likes this.
    07-11-18 01:38 PM
    Seems like Cathy answered her own question, AND has found a solution to this problem! I marked the answer so it goes to the top of the thread for future use!
    07-11-18 01:59 PM
    I am not able to solve the battery issue. For me it drains at a normal rate and also charges at a normal rate. But it just would last too long.

Is there any way I can see on screen time so I can use th guess whether it's normal or not.

New Classic user just bought used for 18 battery charge cycles

Posted via CB10
    07-13-18 05:45 PM
    I am not able to solve the battery issue. For me it drains at a normal rate and also charges at a normal rate. But it just would last too long.

Is there any way I can see on screen time so I can use th guess whether it's normal or not.

New Classic user just bought used for 18 battery charge cycles

Posted via CB10
    I think this is a problem everyone would like to have, can a battery last too long?

Swipe down from the top of your screen and hit the device monitor button, it will tell you how much longer the battery should last until it needs charging.

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    07-14-18 05:08 AM