I've added my email addresses on my new BB Classic. On my old Bold 9780 I was able to create email filters. I used these emails on my work email so that I could ensure that I only received important emails (or on weekends/holidays, none at all). I liked being able to turn my work email 'off'. I work in recruitment, so we get hundreds of resumes a day, and I really don't need them on my phone.
    12-19-14 08:29 AM
    Ok, so add the email filters on the server itself. As of OS10, it no longer uses the bis servers for anything email related therefore email is delivered unfiltered. If it enters the in box, it gets delivered to the handset.
    12-19-14 09:43 AM
    I have created an app called No Mail. Basically it allows you to setup the day and time to check for new messages.
    so on the weekend and evenings you wont receive any email from that account.

the only problem is that if you check for all messages in the Hub it will force all accounts to refresh.

the workaround is just check for a specific account in the Hub.

here is the link No Mail - Control When to Check for Email - BlackBerry World
    12-19-14 10:58 AM
    Really? That seems like quite the oversight on BB's part!

I can't add filters on my server, because I need the hundred or so emails on my work computers, just not on my phone.

I seriously hope they patch this issue soon. It seems like a great hassle and bother to not be able to create filters, or to not be able to 'turn off' your email when needed. During the week I don't need to receive emails on my phone, but I like being able to send one if needed. As it stands now, I really don't have an option, its just on all of the time.
    12-21-14 06:33 PM

I can't add filters on my server, because I need the hundred or so emails on my work computers, just not on my phone.

I seriously hope they patch this issue soon. It seems like a great hassle and bother to not be able to create filters, or to not be able to 'turn off' your email when needed. During the week I don't need to receive emails on my phone, but I like being able to send one if needed. As it stands now, I really don't have an option, its just on all of the time.
    Although I consider the device to be an extension of my desktop, I can certainly see where it might be useful to have certain emails NOT delivered to the handset. That is why I never have work emails and personal emails in the same account. NEVER.................
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-21-14 07:15 PM
    I've added my email addresses on my new BB Classic. On my old Bold 9780 I was able to create email filters. I used these emails on my work email so that I could ensure that I only received important emails (or on weekends/holidays, none at all). I liked being able to turn my work email 'off'. I work in recruitment, so we get hundreds of resumes a day, and I really don't need them on my phone.
    how about>hub>3dots>settings>email accounts>work email>edit>turn off sync.....for that week-end
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-26-14 at 10:40 PM.
    Xenolock and ViaCassian like this.
    12-21-14 08:23 PM
    Although I consider the device to be an extension of my desktop, I can certainly see where it might be useful to have certain emails NOT delivered to the handset. That is why I never have work emails and personal emails in the same account. NEVER.................
    I don't have personal and work emails in the same accounts. I have a work email, then my three personal emails. I don't like them being mixed, so I removed all of them from appearing in my Hub (I only receive texts there). It is a little overwhelming to see that you have 300+ emails waiting for you on Monday! Once I'm at work these emails are easy to deal with, but on the weekend we treat our email as an emergency measure, and I don't need the day to day stuff that I'm used to being able to filter out. It is very difficult to maintain a worklife balance on the weekends/vacation/holidays/etc. when we have no control on what is important enough to receive on our phone.

how about>hub>3dots>settings>email accounts>work email>edit>turn off sync.....
    I guess this is an option... but I still can't send emails unless I turn the sync back on... plus once I turn sync back on every single email gets uploaded to my phone that wasn't there before. When I first put my work email on my new BB Classic it synced at least 750+ emails to my device! Holy cow right?!
    12-21-14 09:13 PM
    I have the same exact issue. Except I've had it since I got the Z10, Q10, and Z30 all on launch day. You honestly get use to. One think about is "Priority Hub". Take who ever you emergency emails from and make them a Priority Contact. That will at least put those in a separate spot. Like I have my partners, my supervisor, and my assistant all as Priority Contacts. I might get 300 emails in my work email on a Saturday, but I can ignore them because if it's from my boss it goes to Priority Hub. To make the person priority just find an email from them and long-press their name and hit the up arrow. Hope this works in some way for you.

Posted by Rosco from my VZW Q10
    Chrisy, geekaren and Mr4aces like this.
    12-21-14 09:22 PM
    I have the same exact issue. Except I've had it since I got the Z10, Q10, and Z30 all on launch day. You honestly get use to. One think about is "Priority Hub". Take who ever you emergency emails from and make them a Priority Contact. That will at least put those in a separate spot. Like I have my partners, my supervisor, and my assistant all as Priority Contacts. I might get 300 emails in my work email on a Saturday, but I can ignore them because if it's from my boss it goes to Priority Hub. To make the person priority just find an email from them and long-press their name and hit the up arrow. Hope this works in some way for you.

Without getting into details, I've contemplated this option, but it really just won't work for the need I have. I guess you're right, have to get used to it. I was so free from certain emails on the weekend! Now I feel like I'm back to a ball and chain. I'm also super OCD about not having an unread email, so even just leaving the email untouched all weekend or throughout the week, is very difficult.

This is the biggest shock coming from my old bold
    12-21-14 09:43 PM

It is not an oversight. But a design decision. There were not enough like you in the world who wanted a BlackBerry and BIS. They all left for other platforms and not pay for bis. So BlackBerry had no choice. Don't expect this to be patched because there is nothing to patch.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:06 PM
    Without getting into details, I've contemplated this option, but it really just won't work for the need I have. I guess you're right, have to get used to it. I was so free from certain emails on the weekend! Now I feel like I'm back to a ball and chain. I'm also super OCD about not having an unread email, so even just leaving the email untouched all weekend or throughout the week, is very difficult.

This is the biggest shock coming from my old bold
    I'm really do feel your pain but I assure you in a couple weeks you won't even consider it an issue. I was like a mad man the first few weeks and then the pros began to outweigh the cons! Hang in there. The alternatives aren't any better. Good luck!

12-21-14 10:41 PM
    If you're using something like gmail or outlook, you can create a rule that everything but your important emails get filed (skips the inbox) into respective folders (probably also healthy for your desktop email experience),.. then only enable sync on the classic for Inbox (well, it's enabled by default and you can't disable it) and whatever other folders you do want.

You can still access (i.e. Pull) those non-synched folders from the classic by going to the account in the hub and tapping on the little down arrow on the top bar.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:51 PM
    You can't, you won't be able to and it's not coming back unless they bring back BIS which is why I constantly go on about it to come back.

They pissed off a lot of early adopters and 2 years later it still happens.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-22-14 03:04 AM
    It is not an oversight. But a design decision. There were not enough like you in the world who wanted a BlackBerry and BIS. They all left for other platforms and not pay for bis. So BlackBerry had no choice. Don't expect this to be patched because there is nothing to patch.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong, the Legacy user numbers are still higher then BB10 users after 2 years and 7 different models of BB10 devices released.

People left to other platforms for many other reasons, BIS and BIS features were things they missed and appreciated.
    12-22-14 03:08 AM
    I loved marking emails as spam and never ever get them in my BB again.
    12-22-14 03:10 AM
    You can't, you won't be able to and it's not coming back unless they bring back BIS which is why I constantly go on about it to come back.

They pissed off a lot of early adopters and 2 years later it still happens.
    I know you love BIS, but it really was a workaround to make up for most e-mail servers rudimentary lack of push functionality (and poor infrastructure bandwidth).

Email has evolved, and the idea of using filters at an intermediate location (BIS servers) instead of filtering what gets synced/transferred directly at the source server, is arguably outdated and unquestionably inefficient given the flexibility of most email services today.

The OP needs to stop looking at the problem from the point of view of his previous solution, and instead re-focus back on the problem to be solved:

i.e. receiving many emails, only some of which are important and should be delivered to a device, and others which should be kept but filed off of the inbox and into specific folders for later review if needed.

This is well within the capabilities of most free email services running IMAP (gmail, outlook, etc) and BB10's folder sync selection capability. Not only that, but setting up those rules on the server will have the positive side effect of organizing the OP's email when accessed through any device/PC.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:45 AM
    I know you love BIS, but it really was a workaround to make up for most e-mail servers rudimentary lack of push functionality (and poor infrastructure bandwidth).

i.e. receiving many emails, only some of which are important and should be delivered to a device, and others which should be kept but filed off of the inbox and into specific folders for later review if needed.
    Actually. In my outlook inbox I do have them separated into folder, but they are still coming into my phone. I guess there must have been a problem with the sync?

For example, I'm in recruitment, and received an exorbitant amount of job applications a day. I have a folder in my outlook that automatically puts these in a different folder. In my BB Classic, these emails are coming through to my inbox. I guess this is a different problem all together.
    12-22-14 09:47 AM

Email has evolved, and the idea of using filters at an intermediate location (BIS servers) instead of filtering what gets synced/transferred directly at the source server, is arguably outdated and unquestionably inefficient given the flexibility of most email services today.

The OP needs to stop looking at the problem from the point of view of his previous solution, and instead re-focus back on the problem to be solved:

This is well within the capabilities of most free email services running IMAP (gmail, outlook, etc) and BB10's folder sync selection capability. Not only that, but setting up those rules on the server will have the positive side effect of organizing the OP's email when accessed through any device/PC.

Posted via CB10
    I completely disagree, it wasn't broken and it didn't need fixing.

Those BIS servers were a godsend when roaming for example, now watch your data disappear with your phone constantly synching to maintain a similar fast experience.

Enail hasn't really evolved that much, the same protocols were available when BB had BIS and we bragged about our emails, apparently now we forgot and BIS was the worst thing ever.
    12-22-14 10:11 AM
    I completely disagree, it wasn't broken and it didn't need fixing.

Those BIS servers were a godsend when roaming for example, now watch your data disappear with your phone constantly synching to maintain a similar fast experience.

Enail hasn't really evolved that much, the same protocols were available when BB had BIS and we bragged about our emails, apparently now we forgot and BIS was the worst thing ever.
    And people cried when their messages were truncated. BlackBerry can not fo anything right according to the incessant whining of some.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-22-14 01:44 PM
    And people cried when their messages were truncated. BlackBerry can not fo anything right according to the incessant whining of some.
    That was an artificial limit imposed by BB themselves, they could've easily removed it and in fact they increased it over time, at least double.

They went from truncating emails to offering Video Calling powered by te same NOC.
    12-22-14 01:52 PM
    Plus BIS was sooooo slow. Very little bandwidth. In this age of media consumption, it is simply outdated. Data is also a lot cheaper these days. I get 6gb a month for $20.

And heaven forbid if the noc goes down! More anti-BlackBerry whining.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-22-14 01:55 PM
    That was an artificial limit imposed by BB themselves, they could've easily removed it and in fact they increased it over time, at least double.

They went from truncating emails to offering Video Calling powered by te same NOC.
    My point was that people cried not matter what they did, and apparently still do.
    12-22-14 01:58 PM
    Plus BIS was sooooo slow. Very little bandwidth. In this age of media consumption, it is simply outdated. Data is also a lot cheaper these days. I get 6gb a month for $20.

And heaven forbid if the noc goes down! More anti-BlackBerry whining.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    BIS wasn't slow, BBOS hardware was slow.
    12-22-14 02:02 PM
    Actually. In my outlook inbox I do have them separated into folder, but they are still coming into my phone. I guess there must have been a problem with the sync?

For example, I'm in recruitment, and received an exorbitant amount of job applications a day. I have a folder in my outlook that automatically puts these in a different folder. In my BB Classic, these emails are coming through to my inbox. I guess this is a different problem all together.
    What's happening here is that the email is hitting Outlook, and then Outlook is sorting it locally. It isn't being sorted server-side. I don't know what provider you use, whether that be GMail or some corporate server of some kind. I can at least speak in part with Gmail, when you look at your filtering settings, you can set numerous filters to move email to specific folders and whatnot, and then when your phone sync's with Google, it'll automatically come down in the same format, filtered, not just on your phone, but everywhere.
    12-22-14 02:10 PM
    BIS wasn't slow, BBOS hardware was slow.
    That too. But I assure you that there is no way that BlackBerry's infrastructure could process 60 million users+ (let alone the 200 million+ they would love to have) in today's high bandwidth world.

It worked fine in it's day for managing and pushing email with a bit of browsing.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-22-14 02:11 PM
35 12