Hi all,

I just bought a Blackberry Classic and I love it! I had Android and iOS devices up until now; I'm brand-spanking-new to the world of Blackberry. The BB Classic is so damn sexy it was love at first sight; I'm an instant convert.

There's a learning curve getting into the Blackberry way of doing things, but it's all for the better so far -- so many delightful little quirks about the platform that are just so right! -- and I can't wait 'til I'm blazing through emails and text messages with the help of that amazing keyboard and the trusty BB "hub".

Question, though: how do I change the text-message alert sound?

This device is clearly designed for the business-minded, text-message and email-oriented client. (Hello, that's me! On call 24-7 and replying to your texts and emails, day and night.) BUT! Whenever I receive a text or email, the BB Classic emits nothing but the faintest, dullest, weakest, drippiest little lethargic, barely-audible "ding" sound. I can't even hear it through my coat pocket; it definitely won't get my attention when the phone's charging at my bedside after I've hit the snooze button a couple times.

It's weird that Blackberry's "notification settings" offer a slew of different options for how actual, old-skool telephone calls should sound ("Normal", "Bedside", "Meeting", "Silent"...), but this phone is all about the keyboard, right? So isn't it obvious that users would want total control over how keyboard-based communication (i.e., email and text) is handled?

Sorry if this is just a totally stupid newbie question. (I hope it isn't so stupid that it's flame-worthy; but if it is, by all means, skewer me! I'm not worthy!) I swear I've done a lot of Googling; for the life of me I can't find a way to customize my text-message and email alerts, and it's driving me crazy!

Any help on this -- plus any general advice or well-wishing for a brand-new Blackberry convert -- would be awesome, and most welcome.
    01-21-15 11:09 PM
    Settings--Notifications--Applications--Text Messages (or email or whatever) and then customize from there...is that what you were looking for or did I misunderstand?

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-21-15 11:19 PM
    I go to Settings - Notifications, but I don't see an "applications" option. Am I missing something?

edit: has the "settings/notifications/applications" option been moved in os 10.3 perhaps?
    Last edited by Beau Mec; 01-21-15 at 11:52 PM.
    01-21-15 11:34 PM
    I go to Settings - Notifications, but I don't see an "applications" option. Am I missing something?
    Click on normal profile. And you'll see "Customize App Notifications "

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-21-15 11:42 PM
    Welcome to a new exciting way of life...can't go wrong with the Classic as your first BlackBerry device, excellent choice.

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-21-15 11:47 PM
    Also please use the on board Help app. Also go through the tutorial app if you didn't do it.

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-21-15 11:48 PM
    Yes, Welcome to CrackBerry and the BlackBerry Community
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-22-15 12:19 AM
    This might sound dumb, but the first thing to learn about entering this community: Blackberry is a fruit, BlackBerry is a phone. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-22-15 12:28 AM
    Boom. That solved it. My faith in Blackberry is restored. Thank you so much, y'all! (especially Dave Bourque.) You gave me some of your valuable time, and it saved me literally hours of dead ends and frustration. The system works! I owe you. Many, many thanks.

Merci! Bisous!
    01-22-15 12:30 AM
    haha lol! I need to remember that. It's BlackBerry. CamelCaps. Duly noted.
    01-22-15 12:39 AM
    Rofl
    CamelCaps

Like Toes?

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-22-15 02:01 AM
    Welcome !!!

Posted via CB10
    Beau Mec likes this.
    01-22-15 02:47 AM
    haha lol! I need to remember that. It's BlackBerry. CamelCaps. Duly noted.
    Yes sir, and enjoy the Classic. I didn't chime in on your issue since it seems that others already gave you the solution. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-22-15 09:38 AM
    Welcome, I think you will love your new ohone.

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    01-22-15 09:44 AM
    you go to Settings, Notifications, then go to Normal , then Customize App notifications , and then you see :

BBM
    BBM Video
    Text Messages

And you can choose which one you want to customize and pick your tone or music from there .
    08-23-15 08:55 PM
    Boom. That solved it. My faith in Blackberry is restored. Thank you so much, y'all! (especially Dave Bourque.) You gave me some of your valuable time, and it saved me literally hours of dead ends and frustration. The system works! I owe you. Many, many thanks.

Merci! Bisous!
    Salut Beau Mec!!!
    Comment t'as fait?? I have the same phone exactly the same issue. I go to settings then notifications then I have an option : active profile (set to normal-- other options are as you mentioned ; phone calls only or vibrate only)

I scroll down and I'm able to change volume and ringer type for calls only but not for texts or emails

There is no customize applications thing that everyone is talking about in this forum where you can access BBM/text/email alert sounds, this doesn't exist here ..

All I have for options under the ringer volume and type is: profiles (normal, phone calls only, vibrate only, silent, meeting, bedside)
    Then I have the option on the bottom to create contact notifications (I get it, for choosing different ringtones for incoming calls based on contact name), also level 1 notifications

Nothing about customizing applications blahblah. This is my first crack berry from my job and I love everything about it except for this -- help someone?

Thanks !!
    05-08-16 09:24 PM
    All I have for options under the ringer volume and type is: profiles (normal, phone calls only, vibrate only, silent, meeting, bedside)
    Then I have the option on the bottom to create contact notifications
    You're so close.

When you see profiles(normal, phone calls only, vibrate only, silent, meeting, bedside) just click on the profile you wish to tinker with.

Click on the word normal, then you will edit what sounds your 'normal' phone makes.
    Click on the word vibrate, and you can edit what sounds are made, if strictly vib isn't your thing.
    Click on silent, if you wish to edit how your phone responds when it's in silent mode

Etc
    Etc

Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 09:34 PM
    And since you're asking about sound profiles, here's a quick tip.

If you push the  BlackBerry menu key from the home screen, you will open your quick settings menu.
    If you click on the bell icon beside notifications, then it will quickly cycle through normal, silent, and vibrate.
    How do I change the text message notification sound?-img_20160508_204112.png

I also set my letter Q longpress shortcut to set the phone to silent. Now each time I longpress the letter Q from the home screen, the phone will switch to the silent sound profile.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 09:46 PM
    thanks I was having the same problem with my passport!
    07-20-16 01:10 PM
    Settings/notifications/normal/custom app notifications/text messages/ringtone
    07-31-18 09:24 PM