Has anyone ever changed a Classic keyboard / keypad. As in physically taking it out and replacing it with a new one?

If so, how difficult is it?

Thanks!
    04-04-19 07:08 AM
    Has anyone ever changed a Classic keyboard / keypad. As in physically taking it out and replacing it with a new one?

Thanks!
    No one has answered your question yet and I have never had a Classic but have you checked out YouTube for videos? I think you can find Classic tear-downs there. Having briefly looked at them, I doubt that the process is very difficult.
    bb_geezer likes this.
    04-04-19 09:13 AM
    I did it and it's not difficult, as brookie sad, nothing you can't find on youtube...
    You need to take everything off, including the motherboard ( after the screws, pry off carefully with plastic tools, cause is held down by adhesive). The keyboard itself is held down by two screws on the front ( the chin) and adhesive tape...

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and bb_geezer like this.
    04-04-19 09:43 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys. I did check youtube, but didn't see a specific video about changing the keyboard. Will check again, thanks.
    04-04-19 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys. I did check youtube, but didn't see a specific video about changing the keyboard. Will check again, thanks.
    Or you can just buy a key 2..problem solved
    04-05-19 07:18 PM
    Doesn't have a toolbelt.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    04-06-19 05:34 AM
    Not what op is asking.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-19 07:14 AM
    Likely full teardown videos that also include keyboard removal. Then reverse the steps.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and bb_geezer like this.
    04-06-19 07:16 AM
    Yes I have done it and you just need the right tools. You don't say how far along with opening the device you are, so assuming from the start.
    Things you'll need Torx T5 & PH000. Helpful items soft pry tool, hard pry tool like spatula (not the one you use to make pancakes), tweezers, medium and fine tipped.
    I went to fleabay and bought "80 in1 Mobile Phone Repair Tools Kit Spudger Pry Opening Tool Screwdriver Laptop" kit. Its 20 bucks and has overkill the items you'll need to do the job. You can find a $5 kit somewhere for just the tools you need for this phone.

There are 5 types of screws to take out. They are different colors or sizes or heads. Long black screws, long silver, short silver, tiny black and tiny silver. They all have a place to go, so do your self a favor and trace the phone on a piece of paper and mark where each screw goes. You may want to trace a new layout for each layer you take off. Say for example the first step is removing the front lower cover, there are two screws there, first trace will be just the shape of phone with two screws marked. The next step soft pry off the back cover, that black piece has 13 screws to remove, trace and mark those 13 locations. Then the next layer is circuit board, you'll see 3, short silver T5 and two PH000 holding ear jack in, also three connections to pop off for power button, keyboard, and charging port. The next layer is the frame holding glass and keyboard. 10 screws here with some rubber piece on bottom. Careful here to pop out the glass assembly forward from the frame. The keyboard also pops out of the frame via the black tabs with screw holes. Once the screen assembly is out, gently ply the keyboard off the bottom of the assembly. Its backing is with thin adhesive. Matter of fact you'll notice lots of hesitation in each layer because at some point you'll notice double sided copper sheets, joining the circuit board to the screen assembly. Be gentle and have really good lighting to see where you are working. Assemble in reverse exactly as you took it apart. Don't force things because you might break something. Everything has small tolerances.

Helpful tips. Power off before working. Sim/SD trays out. If you can't get the lens housing back in the frame, the power button is likely in the way, so compress it and then it will go in. Attach the screen and volume connection first before keyboard and charging port. Don't over tighten screws and no finger tight, when they stop you stop. One more thing but I forget, I''ll update later if it comes to me.
    bb_geezer and hazmaju like this.
    04-06-19 12:00 PM
    Yes I have done it and you just need the right tools. You don't say how far along with opening the device you are, so assuming from the start.
    Things you'll need Torx T5 & PH000. Helpful items soft pry tool, hard pry tool like spatula (not the one you use to make pancakes), tweezers, medium and fine tipped.
    I went to fleabay and bought "80 in1 Mobile Phone Repair Tools Kit Spudger Pry Opening Tool Screwdriver Laptop" kit. Its 20 bucks and has overkill the items you'll need to do the job. You can find a $5 kit somewhere for just the tools you need for this phone.

There are 5 types of screws to take out. They are different colors or sizes or heads. Long black screws, long silver, short silver, tiny black and tiny silver. They all have a place to go, so do your self a favor and trace the phone on a piece of paper and mark where each screw goes. You may want to trace a new layout for each layer you take off. Say for example the first step is removing the front lower cover, there are two screws there, first trace will be just the shape of phone with two screws marked. The next step soft pry off the back cover, that black piece has 13 screws to remove, trace and mark those 13 locations. Then the next layer is circuit board, you'll see 3, short silver T5 and two PH000 holding ear jack in, also three connections to pop off for power button, keyboard, and charging port. The next layer is the frame holding glass and keyboard. 10 screws here with some rubber piece on bottom. Careful here to pop out the glass assembly forward from the frame. The keyboard also pops out of the frame via the black tabs with screw holes. Once the screen assembly is out, gently ply the keyboard off the bottom of the assembly. Its backing is with thin adhesive. Matter of fact you'll notice lots of hesitation in each layer because at some point you'll notice double sided copper sheets, joining the circuit board to the screen assembly. Be gentle and have really good lighting to see where you are working. Assemble in reverse exactly as you took it apart. Don't force things because you might break something. Everything has small tolerances.

Helpful tips. Power off before working. Sim/SD trays out. If you can't get the lens housing back in the frame, the power button is likely in the way, so compress it and then it will go in. Attach the screen and volume connection first before keyboard and charging port. Don't over tighten screws and no finger tight, when they stop you stop. One more thing but I forget, I''ll update later if it comes to me.
    Talk about an informed and super detailed response from someone who's been there and done it. Thanks a lot for the info.

The process does seem to have many steps, and quite frankly probably a few too many more than I was envisaging or hoping.
    04-06-19 02:01 PM
    With this kind of tip, you can do everything! That's a professional instruction and if I did it just being careful and semi methodical, with this tutorial, you can't go wrong.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-19 02:45 PM
    Tearing down / rebuilding a BlackBerry sounds far worse than it is. It takes less than an hour or so, and after you've done a few it goes pretty quick.

 Classic SQC100-2 | 10.3.2.2813
    Last edited by Cainamzak; 04-07-19 at 04:56 PM.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-07-19 04:33 PM
    Tearing down / rebuilding a BlackBerry sounds far worse than it is. It takes less than an hour or so, and after you've done a few it goes pretty quick.

 Classic SQC100-2 | 10.3.2.2813
    ^^^^^^This--Yep, it's always easier than it reads. Not a problem for anyone with a tiny bit of handiness and a lot of patience.
    04-07-19 06:07 PM
    Be careful when removing the motherboard, my friend had one part snap off on 2 of my phones. Both are bricks now. : /

Posted via CB10
    04-07-19 08:56 PM

Thanks!
    Not being a smartarse, but it's almost better at current prices to find a replacement device on Amazon, eBay, swappa, you get the point...
    04-07-19 09:31 PM
    Not being a smartarse, but it's almost better at current prices to find a replacement device on Amazon, eBay, swappa, you get the point...
    You have nothing to loose, either you buy a new one or you try to salvage the old one and try replacing the old keyboard. if you were thinking of replacing the keyboard obviously one had it in themselves to do the job, i say if you cant that's because you didn't try, you wont know how hard it actually is until you try. definitely go for it , the q5 and q10 were very easy assuming its similar in some way. .
    bb_geezer likes this.
    04-14-19 02:07 AM