Hi.. I am want to switch over from Android to BB.
    I am planning to buy Blackberry Classic, but I have no idea, as how an Android user can switch over without having much problem. Anyone who have made such decision and are not regretting, please help me with this.
    Does after switching over, one feel confined due to less number of apps?
    Does small screen of Classic is too small ?
    I am asking you this because I don't want to buy a BB with Full Screen, I want to try it's Keyboard (frankly keyboard is what attracts me to BB)
    I love the interface of Blackberry, but I am not sure whether I will be happy to use it as my daily driver or not.
    I am not fond of "apps", but I want apps which are essential for day to day activities. I does not like Android as it is uncertain and I does not feel confident when I hold an Android Mobile in my hand. They hang a lot..
    07-26-15 12:16 AM
    Get a Passport. Bigger screen. Better specs so that you can run needed Android apps better. Etc.

You didn't give a lot of specifics. But the Passport is better in every way except:

It's big. Maybe too big for some. And that means typing on it is a bit different. And of course means it's less pocketable.

It has the three row keyboard which honestly is fine. Unless you hate that. Lol.

No trackpad. Though I see some Classic users saying they don't use it much. BlackBerry10 was not really designed for a trackpad keep in mind. Though it can be very useful for selecting text.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 12:20 AM
    I hava both: Passport and Classic.

Password is powerful and the best for "desktop" ops. Specs, screen... all.

Classic is excellent for "one-handed", street ops. Trackpad and toolbelt keys make a huge difference here.

Different devices for different use.

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 and southlander like this.
    07-26-15 12:57 AM
    Coming straight from an Android (Samsung Note 4) I'd say you'd have a real blast migrating to a BlackBerry. And I mean that in a good way. The Note 4 is now my backup phone in case I run out of juice but that has never happened yet as my Classic has pretty excellent batter life as well.

A couple of things I simply love about the Classic (most of which are shared by the bigger brother Passport too):

- the absolute best keyboard
    - the absolute best messaging management system (BlackBerry Hub)
    - excellent battery life
    - pocketability
    - premium feel
    - wow factor (stands out in a sea of iphones and similar slab devices)
    - the BlackBerry just feels so tight and properly integrated with things that actually matter (eg. Interconnected schedules with contact linkedin info etc)
    - overall general usefulness

And yes, you can get TOO Dependent on your BlackBerry. In fact, I now prefer writing emails, notes and scheduling appointments on the phone even if I'm in front of my iMac.

An iphone/android can be an exciting occasional flirtation. But the BlackBerry is the one you rely on and end up going home to at the end of each day, the way I see it.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 01:17 AM
    Coming straight from an Android (Samsung Note 4) I'd say you'd have a real blast migrating to a BlackBerry. And I mean that in a good way. The Note 4 is now my backup phone in case I run out of juice but that has never happened yet as my Classic has pretty excellent batter life as well.

A couple of things I simply love about the Classic (most of which are shared by the bigger brother Passport too):

- the absolute best keyboard
    - the absolute best messaging management system (BlackBerry Hub)
    - excellent battery life
    - pocketability
    - premium feel
    - wow factor (stands out in a sea of iphones and similar slab devices)
    - the BlackBerry just feels so tight and properly integrated with things that actually matter (eg. Interconnected schedules with contact linkedin info etc)
    - overall general usefulness

And yes, you can get TOO Dependent on your BlackBerry. In fact, I now prefer writing emails, notes and scheduling appointments on the phone even if I'm in front of my iMac.

An iphone/android can be an exciting occasional flirtation. But the BlackBerry is the one you rely on and end up going home to at the end of each day, the way I see it.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    I second everything this comrade said here.

The main issue with BlackBerry is scarcity of apps in the native app store, but google play store and/or snap on your BlackBerry solve this problem. Double typing is also seems to be less of a problem with a new update. So go for it

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno and Aman1007 like this.
    07-26-15 02:13 AM
    Does passport feels awkward in hands as some people have said that while calling or receiving a call, its kinda awkward..
    Is it ?
    07-26-15 02:46 AM
    Does passport feels awkward in hands as some people have said that while calling or receiving a call, its kinda awkward..
    Is it ?
    Ive had it and I say it is, yes. For me Its just too big and I love the classic that I have now.

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 02:49 AM
    I am a law student, so I would like to know which platform will be most suitable for me ( android or BB) (more apps or BB)...
    As a student will I be more productive on BB or Android..
    I asked this cuz I know that BB is known for its productivity but does apps on android will be more beneficial or not ?
    07-26-15 02:53 AM
    I'm a lawyer myself, and frankly I don't know what apps you need as a lawyer / law student. Text editor? BlackBerry has it, and it's awesome. Working with pdf? Check. Making presentations? BlackBerry express does an amazing job

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 03:04 AM
    Is it ?
    Not really IMHO. Is a question of get used

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 03:05 AM
    I'm a lawyer myself, and frankly I don't know what apps you need as a lawyer / law student. Text editor? BlackBerry has it, and it's awesome. Working with pdf? Check. Making presentations? BlackBerry express does an amazing job

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha Yeah, I'm a lawyer as well. I guess birds of the same feather do have the same hairdresser? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 03:34 AM
    Hahaha Yeah, I'm a lawyer as well. I guess birds of the same feather do have the same hairdresser? Lol

Posted via CB10
    I guess not, but I'm really interested what apps a lawyer specifically would need. I manage with BlackBerry hub, docs to go and adobe reader

Posted via CB10
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 04:25 AM
    Apps not for the Lawyer as such but for a Student..
    MS Office
    Adobe
    Evernote
    Pocket (Offline Web Page Saver)
    Apps related to news, legal updates.
    Blogger
    07-26-15 04:43 AM
    I switch when BB10 came out and still love the OS. The android support on apps are great and if an app is not working there is always an alternative in the Android store but also BlackBerry World has there alternative apps like igrann or other apps.

The Android Apps i'm using is one from our cable supplier so I can watch 40 streaming TV channels, but I also using Netflix and just pluged it in on HDMI and it works great when your in a Hotel or Bungalow . I also use Spotify and a banking app. The rest are all native apps and I don't care about google maps or whatever. You can live without them.

My history with Android was since 1.4 and still love the layout of Android 2.6 and the malware, data mining is crazy on Android the also had problems with there own google store these days, and they still have that problem that apps are getting replaced with some code lines. So when I finally get the chance to test out BlackBerry OS 10 I was glad. I also tested windows then but BB10 is much better and easier to use .

I'm an happy user these days and using my Passport and my wife gets back twice to the BlackBerry Z30 (she made a trip with windows because she bought a windows tablet and she get an Apple iphone 6 she dislike because the OS was clumpsy to use and bad speakers in the Iphone 6.

She like the virtual qwerty, reception, real mutlitasking, stereo speakers and the HUB from het Z30 and I like my Passport.
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 05:10 AM
    Welcome to the forum dedicated to the best physical keyboard device in current production! If you haven't yet, i recommend to give this keyboard shortcut listing a look:

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...ard-shortcuts/

No need to learn them all at once. Just learn a couple at a time and practice incorporating them into your flow. Once hooked on pkb shortcuts, speed dial, toolbelt, etc... you just might wonder how you ever got along without them! Enjoy!

The PassPort is a real PDF powerhouse but if you do enter legal practice, you might just find the Classic's physical "end" key affords added privacy assurance...??

I'm no attorney but as an engineer I've encountered privacy issues with the "soft end" predominantly used in touch oriented devices. Issues that I don't believe have been adequately addressed by some professions, nor by the industry at large. Classic's physical "end" key affords added assurance that your last caller isn't still unintentionally listening. IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-26-15 at 06:06 AM.
    Aman1007, southlander and andy957 like this.
    07-26-15 05:56 AM
    Welcome to the forum dedicated to the best physical keyboard device in current production! If you haven't yet, i recommend to give this keyboard shortcut listing a look:

No need to learn them all at once. Just learn a couple at a time and practice incorporating them into your flow. Once hooked on pkb shortcuts, speed dial, toolbelt, etc... you just might wonder how you ever got along without them! Enjoy!

The PassPort is a real PDF powerhouse but if you do enter legal practice, you might just find the Classic's physical "end" key affords added privacy assurance...??

I'm no attorney but as an engineer I've encountered privacy issues with the "soft end" predominantly used in touch oriented devices. Issues that I don't believe have been adequately addressed by some professions, nor by the industry at large. Classic's physical "end" key affords added assurance that your last caller isn't still unintentionally listening. IMO.
    Totally agree with the above, +1 on the 2 points that I can't believe I overlooked in my earlier post considering these were heavy factors in my choosing the Classic:

- keyboard shortcuts (yes, you can't believe how you managed without them when you've made them part of your habit alread)

- Physical END Call button (as mentioned, the Paranoid in me would sometimes make me look thrice or more in touchscreen phones) lol

Again, very good points mentioned by the author above.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 06:22 AM
    Is it ?
    Yes a little. I am used to it. The thing I DON'T like about my Passport is the fact that I have a hard time "handling" it at times. When I reach for it with one hand, the size and weight means I sometimes need to shuffle it in my hand so to speak in order to feel I have good grip. It's a bit heavy which is not a help in this respect.

To me the Passport is almost more like a very small tablet with a physical keyboard than a phone.
    Aman1007 likes this.
    07-26-15 09:12 AM
    I am a law student, so I would like to know which platform will be most suitable for me ( android or BB) (more apps or BB)...
    As a student will I be more productive on BB or Android..
    I asked this cuz I know that BB is known for its productivity but does apps on android will be more beneficial or not ?
    Depends. If you need apps that require Google Play Services to operate then they won't work. You'd have to list the apps and let folks chime in if they use them. And of course that does not include apps "to come" which might not work.

Edit: I see you listed some apps you would use. Most of those seem fine. Not sure about MS Office, or Blogger though. Others will chime in I am sure...

PS. Some apps use Google Play Services but do not require it. They will occasionally throw a prompt, etc. but will function nonetheless.
    07-26-15 09:14 AM

The definitive listing of BlackBerry Classic keyboard shortcuts | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    Thanks for that link! Extremely useful.
    07-26-15 04:01 PM
    Is it ?
    Think about it. It's shaped like no other, average, smartphone so yes it is awkward. I've had one for only a couple days and while I haven't made a final decision, the Classic is better suited for one hand use and pocket ability. The Passport has a beautiful screen though.

Posted via CB10
    southlander and Aman1007 like this.
    07-26-15 05:09 PM