Hi all,

I've been an avid user of BlackBerry for years. Recently upgraded to the Classic. It seemed to work fine for a while but now the battery drains itself at an unbelievable rate. The culprits are "System" and "Pims" while the phone is in standby.

I don't really have any major apps or anything. The phone is about a week old as is the latest official OS update.

Tonight at midnight I left it at 100% charge and woke to a 34% at 7 am.

Help.
    07-18-15 09:33 PM
    Since it's only a week old. Just reinstall with autoloader.
    Then set up only one email account. Make it push and sync last 30 days only. Sync only email. No contacts or calendar or tasks.
    See how it goes for a few days. Then start adding the rest one by one.
    07-19-15 07:20 PM
    Hate to be sceptical but new poster, "long time BlackBerry user" and post a thread about how (insert product name) is bad.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    07-19-15 07:33 PM
    I would be sceptical but the issue is coming in every other thread since forever.
    That poster has a real problem so let's help him out.
    Zazi8 likes this.
    07-19-15 07:42 PM
    I once had severe battery drain. Seemed to be due to something getting stuck in the calendar/email sync. Remove/add account + restart fixed it.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:08 PM
    Hate to burst the self-righteous bubble, but I always used other people's threads to sort out my issues. This time, no solutions around.

However, this is what I managed to do. I did as suggested and synced just one email account. Did a shutdown and full charge. That killed all the android apps running in the background. Those are the real battery drain and I don't know of any good task managers to manage them.

Battery levels were back to substantially normal times. And running smoothly thus far. System usage and pims statistics are marred and won't display since last charge. But an improved battery life is what I needed and got so no worries on that note.

Can anyone suggest a good task manager app?
    07-19-15 11:14 PM
    Hate to burst the self-righteous bubble, but I always used other people's threads to sort out my issues. This time, no solutions around.

However, this is what I managed to do. I did as suggested and synced just one email account. Did a shutdown and full charge. That killed all the android apps running in the background. Those are the real battery drain and I don't know of any good task managers to manage them.

Battery levels were back to substantially normal times. And running smoothly thus far. System usage and pims statistics are marred and won't display since last charge. But an improved battery life is what I needed and got so no worries on that note.

Considering you joined CrackBerry less than 48 hours ago, surely you can understand the skepticism of some.

There is a task manager already pre-loaded in the phone. Open BBVE (BlackBerry Virtual Expert) and within that, you can't miss seeing Device Monitor. From that, you can kill apps and see what is draining your battery.

Posted with my  Classic
    Zazi8 likes this.
    07-20-15 01:28 AM
    How frequently did you have (and now have) the sync interval set for your email, calendar, contacts, etc?
    If set for frequently it will be a drain.
    Since I respond to emails via my phone both directly or via Blend when on the computer, I have most set from a few hour to 24 hours. The only one I left at 30mins is my calendar as there's the possibility I may access via other means and would prefer it be up to date and I'm still going to lengthen it a bit.
    Also, sync interval will not affect how frequently you receive email.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 07:13 AM
    I am a new BB user (Classic) and would like to know what are PIM services and System? I am looking at Device Monitor right now and since the last charge usage is 9.8% for PIM services, 9.4% for display, 8% for System, and 2.6% for Standby. I have had the phone for about 2 weeks and I have the most recent update to the OS.
    07-20-15 10:12 AM
    I had the same thing happen after the most recent BBM update. Pulled down the update and walked away. Came back a few hours later and PIM Services had chewed through 80% of the battery. A simple restart solved the problem.
    07-20-15 06:54 PM

What I've done is added the Device Monitor to quick settings. At any time two finger swipe down and there it is. From there I'll open the CPU tab and close anything that's currently running or idle that I don't want.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 07:10 PM
    Here's an advice.

Android apps are known notoriously for battery drainage. Most android apps works in the background.
    So, if you're planning to close an android app, close ALL android apps that's running in the background as well. And if you have Google Play Store in your phone, when you open an android app, it will automatically push Play Store to run in the background again. As I said, close ONE android app, close them ALL.

Here's how to close it from running in the background.

Setting > app manager > device monitor > cpu > (tap 'close') on any of the apps you wanted.
    But keep in mind, it will run again in the background when you open the app. And you have to do the above instruction (again) to close it.
    And all the apps running in the cpu will run again as usual after a reset. So, you have to the close app again to make sure it doesn't run in the background.

And as one of the posters mentioned above, you can just add device monitor as one of the shortcuts in the quick setting for easy access.

I use the above method to close all android apps I'm not using, and also all the native apps I'm not using as well. And the battery life will be improved tremendously if you close apps using the method above.

Posted from my SECURED to the CORE RedBerryan PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-20-15 07:58 PM