I put black electrical tape over it (nicely cut to size) as the trackpad can't handle UV rays from the sun outside. It makes my screen scroll all over the place. When that happens the touch screen hardly works since the trackpad has "control".

Black tape solved it. Do I like that? NO.
    Now we know why they've made the trackpad so small. So that the tips of our thumbs can cover it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 08:58 PM
    I put black electrical tape over it (nicely cut to size) as the trackpad can't handle UV rays from the sun outside. It makes my screen scroll all over the place. When that happens the touch screen hardly works since the trackpad has "control".

Black tape solved it. Do I like that? NO.
    We us ours (26 of them in my crew) outdoors very frequently. NO "sun crazy" on our Classics. Yet. A warranty issue, IMO. If you have any?

Simple trackpad replacement fixed the problem on our 9900s, when it happened. Usually just swapped whole keyboard. 5 minutes & $5 on our 99s. Always attributed it to accumulation of "micro scratches" on the surface. Some success with ultra fine polishing... Using chamois. One coworker swore by a "headlight lens restore" product. Idk. Too easy & too cheap to simply R&R keyboard on 9900. Not so easy on our Classics, unfortunately.

Capacitive input isn't without downsides also. We've seen "wind crazy". Also "screen numbness" in sub 5% humidity environments. Capacitive touch IS amazingly resilient, tho. I've used spiderweb cracked touchscreens with no perceptible operational impact. Amazing technology.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    09-20-15 09:42 AM
    We us ours (26 of them in my crew) outdoors very frequently. NO "sun crazy" on our Classics. Yet. A warranty issue, IMO. If you have any?

Simple trackpad replacement fixed the problem on our 9900s, when it happened. Usually just swapped whole keyboard. 5 minutes & $5 on our 99s. Always attributed it to accumulation of "micro scratches" on the surface. Some success with ultra fine polishing... Using chamois. One coworker swore by a "headlight lens restore" product. Idk. Too easy & too cheap to simply R&R keyboard on 9900. Not so easy on our Classics, unfortunately.

Capacitive input isn't without downsides also. We've seen "wind crazy". Also "screen numbness" in sub 5% humidity environments. Capacitive touch IS amazingly resilient, tho. I've used spiderweb cracked touchscreens with no perceptible operational impact. Amazing technology.
    I tried to get away from the track belt. I actually returned my upgraded ATT SQC100-2 thinking I wanted something smaller like a Q10/Q5 or maybe a P9983. One week without a track pad and the Q5 was returned to Amazon. Ordered another SQC100-2 and now using it was my personal phone and the 99 as work phone. Pretty hard to beat the 99 as a work phone. .....Forgot how nice it is to swap batteries.

Has your IT replace anything on the Classic?

BTW this last SQC100-2 has a flawless screen so a tempered glass protector fits perfect with no bubbles. The first 2 (two) Classics I could never get the bubble out of the lower right hand corner.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 09-20-15 at 11:49 AM.
    09-20-15 11:25 AM
    I use it a ton on webpages, so useful for precise navigation

I'm a Classic Man
    Xenolock and Baritone Astoria like this.
    09-20-15 12:20 PM
    I use it permanently - even more than the touchscreen.
    It is handy for editing and browsing.

The only thing I using the touchscreen for is "zooming in/out" and scrolling through the Hub.

I'm so glad that BlackBerry released the Classic!
    It is the device I have been waiting for since OS7!

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 01:02 PM
    I tried to get away from the track belt. I actually returned my upgraded ATT SQC100-2 thinking I wanted something smaller like a Q10/Q5 or maybe a P9983. One week without a track pad and the Q5 was returned to Amazon. Ordered another SQC100-2 and now using it was my personal phone and the 99 as work phone. Pretty hard to beat the 99 as a work phone. .....Forgot how nice it is to swap batteries.

Has your IT replace anything on the Classic?

BTW this last SQC100-2 has a flawless screen so a tempered glass protector fits perfect with no bubbles. The first 2 (two) Classics I could never get the bubble out of the lower right hand corner.
    We dissected one of our classics. Keyboard R&R will certainly take more than 5 minutes... Lol.

I LOVE the dual device concept. Wonderful for reading info from Classic in right hand while messaging with 99 in left hand. . Thanks to trackpad, 99 can be FULLY operated with left hand only. Classic's size and less polished trackpad interface make it a "mostly single handed" device. I can't really simultaneously operate any other pair of devices with one in each hand. Trackpad makes single handedness SO much better. Which, of course, makes simultaneous dual use possible.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    09-20-15 04:53 PM
    The only thing I using the touchscreen for is "zooming in/out" and scrolling through the Hub.
    They did a pretty decent job of utilizing the trackpad, but I DO wish they incorporated the ALT + trackpad scroll up/down to zoom in/out as it currently exists on legacy devices... This would make zooming within the Hub as well as on the Web far more desirable as per my tastes...

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 04:55 PM
    I use it permanently - even more than the touchscreen.
    It is handy for editing and browsing.

I'm so glad that BlackBerry released the Classic!
    It is the device I have been waiting for since OS7!

Posted via CB10
    Never been real fond of "pinch zoom", myself. takes too many hands... Lol . Always liked "I" for zoom in and "O" for zoom out. Quick easy single handed. Just personal preference. Classic's trackpad finally provides us with a singlehanded friendly BB10 device!
    CivilDissident likes this.
    09-20-15 04:59 PM
    Never been real fond of "pinch zoom", myself. takes too many hands... Lol . Always liked "I" for zoom in and "O" for zoom out. Quick easy single handed. Just personal preference. Classic's trackpad finally provides us with a singlehanded friendly BB10 device!
    "I" and "O" work wonderfully for quick zoom, but for more precise zooming ALT + Scroll via trackpad was fantastic! Plus "I" and "O" never zoomed in email nor does it do anything (as far as zooming goes) in the Hub...

Classic is DEF a perfect one-handed device though... Its` form factor is definitely one I adore!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 09-21-15 at 03:49 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-20-15 05:32 PM
    About 50\50

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    09-20-15 05:45 PM
    I actually do pinch zoom one handed. Hold the phone with my last three fingers, bring the index finger to the screen and pinch with that and the thumb. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    09-20-15 07:39 PM
    I use my touch screen more than anything. It's really useful when using your phone with one hand or when you have to reach the top of the screen.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    09-22-15 02:25 AM
    Not often at all. Just takes up space that could be added to the screen size.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 07:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why didn't you just get the Q20 then?

09-23-15 10:47 AM
    This thread makes no sense. Why would you guys get the Classic when BlackBerry clearly made a phone for people who don't use a trackpad, which is the Q20?

idssteve likes this.
    09-23-15 10:48 AM
    This thread makes no sense. Why would you guys get the Classic when BlackBerry clearly made a phone for people who don't use a trackpad, which is the Q20?

You mean Q10, right? Or even Q5... The Q20 is the Classic...

But yes, I agree overall with the point you are trying to make... Fact is people will always complain about something... Human Nature... Far from flawless yet we expect flawless in every other aspect of life... Que Sera, Sera!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 10:55 AM
    You mean Q10, right? Or even Q5... The Q20 is the Classic...

But yes, I agree overall with the point you are trying to make... Fact is people will always complain about something... Human Nature... Far from flawless yet we expect flawless in every other aspect of life... Que Sera, Sera!

Posted via CB10
    You're right. That's what I meant. I used to have the Q10, but then I got the Classic because I wanted the trackpad.

09-23-15 11:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Learn to use the trackpad and screen size becomes irrelevant for navigation.

Can't see the Classic screen? Consider holding it closer. Sorta like building a smaller fire and sitting closer... .

Classic already provides the second widest screen BB has ever made, afaik. Any length added would require corresponding width to maintain 1:1 ar. Or wind up with odd ball ar.
    slagman5 and Xenolock like this.
    09-23-15 08:02 PM
    If you're going to complain about the size of your Classic screen, you should've just gotten the Passport. The Classic device is specifically for BlackBerry users who wanted to be able to use the Tool Belt as they did on their Legacy device.

09-23-15 08:46 PM
    If you're going to complain about the size of your Classic screen, you should've just gotten the Passport. The Classic device is specifically for BlackBerry users who wanted to be able to use the Tool Belt as they did on their Legacy device.

Yep. The relatively tiny screen on my 9900, for example, works quite nicely thanks to the toolbelt. Especially thanks to the trackpad. If I weren't using the trackpad, I also would want a larger screen to make room for my thick digits on the screen. As it is, because I USE the trackpad, my Classic's screen is oversized for my use. Making the device itself uncomfortably oversized for my use. Certainly usable, but less comfortable than my 99.

My company toughed it out with Q10s for three months, a couple years ago. That device's screen size was too small for efficient touch operation and its lack of toolbelt crippled its effective potential even further. Classic's toolbelt/trackpad finally corrected that handicap.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    09-23-15 09:32 PM
    Yep. The relatively tiny screen on my 9900, for example, works quite nicely thanks to the toolbelt. Especially thanks to the trackpad. If I weren't using the trackpad, I also would want a larger screen to make room for my thick digits on the screen. As it is, because I USE the trackpad, my Classic's screen is oversized for my use. Making the device itself uncomfortably oversized for my use. Certainly usable, but less comfortable than my 99.

My company toughed it out with Q10s for three months, a couple years ago. That device's screen size was too small for efficient touch operation and its lack of toolbelt crippled its effective potential even further. Classic's toolbelt/trackpad finally corrected that handicap.
    I use a combination of both so I like the screen size. Not too big to where you have to constantly shift your hands to reach the edges and not too small where you can't do anything on it. At least in my opinion.
    09-23-15 09:37 PM
    I use a combination of both so I like the screen size. Not too big to where you have to constantly shift your hands to reach the edges and not too small where you can't do anything on it. At least in my opinion.
    At first I thought it was too big for my liking (I had just come from reverting back to my 9810 for a while which was a much smaller device.

I agree that the Classic is a pretty perfect size. Both for form and function. It really combines all the legacy 'goodness' of the design but still allows it to fit in with most other modern phones with the dimensions. I think they've hit a home run with the Classic.
    slagman5 likes this.
    09-23-15 10:46 PM

I completely agree with you. However; I don't find my Classic's screen to be "oversized" because it has the tool belt. If I didn't have the trackpad, I would still have it because, like you said, the Q10 screen is too small for efficient touch operation.

09-24-15 01:24 AM
    Not very often.

Posted via CB10 on Passport
    09-24-15 01:56 PM
    After the Z10, I use the screen a lot more than the trackpad. Probably just habit!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 02:22 PM
145 ... 3456