Pretty much 90% of the time for me!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 03:10 PM
    This thread reminds me of other tech that we gave up in the name of "progress"...

- CRT TV's, which had better viewing angles and contrast. IBM had a tech that would have reduced CRT TV's to about 6 inches thick, but by then, consumers were too enamored with thinner and thinner LCD TV's. Hopefully OLED TV's will get us back the viewing angles and contrast.

- switch based keyboards, which required less force and provided better feedback. Thankfully these types of keyboards have made a comeback.

Back to the trackpad...

The cursor placement circle was made a huge difference, but the trackpad is still much easier. (It's really amazing how willing we were to accept zoom/zoom/zoom/click when the trackpad already solved that problem but was considered old tech.)
    Just Me likes this.
    09-11-15 03:30 PM
    BB10 is definitely not intended for trackpad use so I often just use the touchscreen for navigating around on my homescreen and the Web. However, the real use of it for me is when editing text, selecting, and copy / paste. Everything else is a very big compromise (or perhaps sacrifice) in comparison.

I do wish though that the overflow menu had everything in a scroll down menu rather than having to scroll to the bottom and press "more". I suppose the reason for this is screen size but I think it would be more efficient if it was all on the same column. Otherwise, BlackBerry has done a great job at re-integrating the trackpad back into BB10!
    09-11-15 03:40 PM
    BB10 is definitely not intended for trackpad use so I often just use the touchscreen for navigating around on my homescreen and the Web. However, the real use of it for me is when editing text, selecting, and copy / paste. Everything else is a very big compromise (or perhaps sacrifice) in comparison.

I do wish though that the overflow menu had everything in a scroll down menu rather than having to scroll to the bottom and press "more". I suppose the reason for this is screen size but I think it would be more efficient if it was all on the same column. Otherwise, BlackBerry has done a great job at re-integrating the trackpad back into BB10!
    Don't scroll to press more, swipe in the direction of the more arrow on the trackpad. I don't use touchscreen for the overflow menu anymore, trackpad only, when you try what I just told you, you'll know why.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve, ZayDub and Qaddafi like this.
    09-11-15 07:15 PM
    Don't scroll to press more, swipe in the direction of the more arrow on the trackpad. I don't use touchscreen for the overflow menu anymore, trackpad only, when you try what I just told you, you'll know why.

Nice! Thanks for the tip!!!

I love these forums for this exact kind of stuff. I'm going to try to stay away from anything Slider / Android related until BlackBerry announces anything officially. Way too much whining and complaining and just negativity about completely 'unofficial' facts. It's a far better use of the forums to help other users troubleshoot and learn new things about their 'Berries'!
    kgbbz10 and DolemiteDONS like this.
    09-11-15 07:38 PM
    I've been using my BlackBerry Classic for about six months now (before that a Bold 9900 and two others). Since the Bold, the usage of the trackpad went down and down - and now I am nearly only using the touchscreen. How about you?

Matze, 21, Germany (2BF822F1 - feel free to add!)
    I use it all the time. Makes it easy for me when I'm laying in bed being lazy.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    09-11-15 08:47 PM
    I say often! I like it wish I could use it with word predictions!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 09:32 PM
    Never use it.

Posted from my Blackberry Classic
    09-11-15 10:14 PM
    Mostly only on Internet some site. That's about it. I think it is time for the trackpad to faze out for good .

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 12:30 AM
    Mostly only on Internet some site. That's about it. I think it is time for the trackpad to faze out for good.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 12:31 AM
    Mostly only on Internet some site. That's about it. I think it is time for the trackpad to faze out for good.

Posted via CB10
    There are more options for those who don't like it to use. Those who like it are limited to this phone.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-12-15 12:58 AM
    Pssst... a virtual trackpad is coming to the new iPhones...
    09-12-15 03:28 AM
    BlackBerry threw us all off with the Q10, by eliminating that row of buttons. Those that used Q10 transitioned into using the touch screen, and now the trackpad seems almost superfluous.

Try using the trackpad to navigate text in an e-mail for instance; now do the same with your fingers on the touch screen. The advantage of the trackpad will be very clear. The trackpad offers finer control of the cursor.

All this confusion wouldn't have happened if there had been a unified vision of what BlackBerry is as a device and as a company.

Posted via CB10
    I guess, you are right - I had a Q10 for about a year, and there I lost my trackpad love!

Matze, 21, Germany (2BF822F1 - feel free to add!)
    09-12-15 03:35 AM
    All the Time, only use the touchscreen when I have to really

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 03:44 AM
    I used it all the time on my 9860. In fact, I bought the device 3 times because my trackpad failed twice and it was so useful to me. Bought a classic when they first came out and have not been able to naturally use the trackpad once. I have had to consciously force myself to use it and it doesn't seem to be a better experience when I do.

I don't know whether this is a result of me changing or poor implementation.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-12-15 03:46 AM
    People that have an abundant of emails and text messaging don't have the time or the patients to place the cursor between two letters using gestures.

Why even have a Classic?

This was the one thing that prevented me from going the Q5/Q10/P9983 route. Tried the Q5 and could not live without it. After using the Q5 for a week I sent it back.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    09-12-15 04:21 AM
    Never
    09-12-15 04:29 AM
    I missed the pad when I had the q10. It's one of the better features of the Classic - not to mention there is a lot less "swiping" needed with this phone. So to answer the question, I do use the track pad and use it a lot.
    09-12-15 06:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just because YOU haven't learned to make good use of it doesn't mean it should be phased out so nobody else can use it. I know you'd like to think that you are the gold standard everyone else should follow, but unfortunately that's not the case... Sorry.

kgbbz10 likes this.
    09-12-15 12:02 PM
    I'm surprised that people on this post do not use it. This is the whole reason I have a Classic. Not using the trackpad is similar to eating without cutlery. You can get away with it... but it just feels strange.

Posted via CB10
    kgbbz10 likes this.
    09-12-15 12:26 PM
    I love the trackpad! Use it all the time

Posted via the cutest little fantastic phone ever!
    09-12-15 12:57 PM
    All the time
    09-12-15 01:01 PM
    I do not have a Blackberry Classic, but even if I did, I'd use that trackpad a lot.
    09-12-15 02:32 PM
    99% of the time, but the implementation in the browser is a bit buggy so i find i have to touch the screen more while using it than in most apps.
    09-12-15 02:52 PM
    I do not have a Blackberry Classic, but even if I did, I'd use that trackpad a lot.
    Well, that's what I thought too until I had one and I didn't. I think it might have to do with how ******* small the trackpad is

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    ZayDub likes this.
    09-12-15 03:09 PM
145 1234 ...