Not sure if this is the right forum but it relates to the Classic so...

Picked up my new Classic today and have been in the process of moving everything over from my Q10. Everything else has transferred with no trouble at all except for the SD-Card. When I pop it in the device just does not accept that it works, despite the fact this has come straight out of the Q10 where it worked perfectly. First time I went into the settings to check whats going on it tried to download some drivers but since then nothing. I just get this screen:

Help! My Blackberry Classic hates ALL SD-Cards!!-img_20150117_003134.png

Regardless of which SD-Card (I've tried both a 32gb Samsung and a 128gb Sandisk, both work on the Q10 instantly) I try to use the Classic adamantly refuses to recognize it. I've tried formatting it in FAT32 and exFAT both on the device and via Windows and it still doesn't accept it. On the device I just get this screen before it stops:

Help! My Blackberry Classic hates ALL SD-Cards!!-img_20150117_003142.png

Again the Q10 accepts anything that's put it's way:

Help! My Blackberry Classic hates ALL SD-Cards!!-img_20150117_003305.png

The Classic is running 10.3.1.747 straight out of the box.

Help! My Blackberry Classic hates ALL SD-Cards!!-img_20150117_003027.png

This is driving me up the wall, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    01-16-15 06:51 PM
    Try formatting on your pc then install, or you might be missing some drivers on your device.
    01-16-15 07:03 PM
    I've tried it a few times formatting on my laptop but it doesn't work, I suspect it's a driver issue but I have no idea how to reload them without resorting to wiping back to factory settings and starting again. Which seems a little drastic just to get something as simple as the SD card to work.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 07:07 PM
    Try reloading the OS using link (it will wipe the device, so backup) if that doesn't fix it, it very well could be a hardware issue, use the 30 day return to get an exchange.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-15 07:07 PM
    Or you can load the newest leak as its pretty good, it should have all the latest drivers for your device.
    01-16-15 07:10 PM
    I'll try reloading the OS, is it just a case of connecting it to my laptop and clicking 'factory reset'?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 07:12 PM
    Open blackberry link, and do the factory reset
    01-16-15 07:16 PM
    I've tried it a few times formatting on my laptop but it doesn't work, I suspect it's a driver issue but I have no idea how to reload them without resorting to wiping back to factory settings and starting again. Which seems a little drastic just to get something as simple as the SD card to work.

Posted via CB10
    Now's the time to do that while it's new rather than later when you have more things customized.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-16-15 07:20 PM
    Maybe the port is bad? It does happen.
    01-16-15 07:47 PM
    Take it back. You bought it TODAY and it's having problems. A replacement is in order.
    01-16-15 10:41 PM
    I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro paid big $. Could not get it to work either. Ended up using a Micro 128.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-17-15 at 06:59 AM.
    01-17-15 06:23 AM
    I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro paid big $. Could not get it to work either. Ended up using a Micro 128.

It's not the phone.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. SanDisk are usually pretty good cards. Maybe you just got a bad one. Seems their card works in other devices so to me that points to his one it doesn't work in.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 01-17-15 at 06:36 AM. Reason: s
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-15 06:35 AM
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. SanDisk are usually pretty good cards. Maybe you just got a bad one. Seems their card works in other devices so to me that points to his one it doesn't work in.
    Could be right. I have used bdfore SanDisk without a problem. It could be the Classic didn't like the higher speed of the Extreme Pro.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-17-15 at 01:45 PM.
    01-17-15 06:58 AM
    Could be right. I have used SanDisk without a problem. It could be the Classic didn't like the higher speed of the Extreme Pro.

Posted via CB10
    That would be bad. A brand new phone just released not supporting that. But who knows.
    01-17-15 07:02 AM
    I'm running samsung 64gb evo sdxc on my classic works perfectly, wouldn't hurt getting it changed

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 07:10 AM
    Try using your blackberry for format the SD card

Z10
    01-17-15 07:20 AM
    I have a SanDisk 128Gb. Had a problem with it at first where the driver would fail to download. Fixed it by turning on mobile networking in settings. Formatted it with the Passport and no problems since. I've got no idea why that worked.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    01-17-15 07:39 AM
    So... the reloading the OS didn't work. Booted it back up after and it does the same thing again, recognizes there's a card in the device but refuses to format it. First time round it tries to install drivers and then it repeats the process in the original post. I'm guessing there's a hardware issue now as it still affects any SD card I put in it, not just my 'SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card'. The device won't format it (it appears to make the standard file structure on the card but doesn't allow it to be used). The card still works in my Q10 (instantly) and laptop so it's definitely not an issue with the card itself. This is pretty annoying, particularly as O2 in the UK don't carry the Classic in-store and I can't just pop my sim back into my Q10 due to the size difference.
    01-17-15 07:42 AM
    I have a SanDisk 128Gb. Had a problem with it at first where the driver would fail to download. Fixed it by turning on mobile networking in settings. Formatted it with the Passport and no problems since. I've got no idea why that worked.

Can you run me through the steps on this? I've had wi-fi on previously so do I just turn that off and try again? How do I actively make the device download new drivers? It seems to only do it first time round so it would seem I'd need to re-load the OS again and insert the SD Card on a clean install, making sure the wi-fi is off when it seeks the drivers...?
    01-17-15 07:47 AM
    If you need to use your Q10 again for a while, you can get a SIM adapter.
    01-17-15 09:41 AM
    Can you run me through the steps on this? I've had wi-fi on previously so do I just turn that off and try again? How do I actively make the device download new drivers? It seems to only do it first time round so it would seem I'd need to re-load the OS again and insert the SD Card on a clean install, making sure the wi-fi is off when it seeks the drivers...?
    Didn't turn WiFi off. After enabling mobile networking, tried to format card again from phone. Driver downloaded, card was formatted and it just started working. Might need a proper BlackBerry nerd to explain what's going on with the driver download.

01-17-15 12:12 PM
    Return it for a bold 9900, it uses the same processor anyways
    01-17-15 12:34 PM
    Going to try and reload the OS again, this time without the memory card in the tray. See if it needs to wait for full boot-up before recognising the extra storage. Failing that it's back to O2 with it...

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 12:37 PM
    So... the reloading the OS didn't work. Booted it back up after and it does the same thing again, recognizes there's a card in the device but refuses to format it. First time round it tries to install drivers and then it repeats the process in the original post. I'm guessing there's a hardware issue now as it still affects any SD card I put in it, not just my 'SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card'. The device won't format it (it appears to make the standard file structure on the card but doesn't allow it to be used). The card still works in my Q10 (instantly) and laptop so it's definitely not an issue with the card itself. This is pretty annoying, particularly as O2 in the UK don't carry the Classic in-store and I can't just pop my sim back into my Q10 due to the size difference.
    The latest BB10 releases want the card formatted as "exFAT" ; It is quite possible that it's FAT32 at the moment.

What I did a few months ago when I got my 128gb Sandisk and had initial issues was connect the card to my PC (your card probably came with a little USB or SDCard adapter) and backed up the card to the PC temporarily. I changed the formatting of the card and experimented with FAT32 and exFAT and found that exFAT worked fastest/best.

There are utilities for the PC to force the card into FAT32 if you want to try it; Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Conversely - you can put the card into the PC and check what it is "now" (Properties) and see if it's FAT32 already which might be your grief. Again - back it up while it's on your PC, format it to exFAT using the default parameters and stuff it back into the Classic.

if THAT fails - using the PC again - go into Disk Management on the PC and delete any partitions (thus effectively setting the card back to Zero) and then let the phone sort it out.

I have a few devices here including two passports and a Classic and they're all happy with exFAT formatted 128gb Sandisk cards.

PS: on a new device it can take a little while for the phone to recognise and index the contents of your card..
    01-17-15 12:48 PM
    I have used guiformat to format my 64 gb sd card, it worked when I transferred my card to new passport
    01-17-15 01:31 PM
39 12