I would say that my Q10 feels clicky, while the Classic I have briefly used feels more 'cushioned' but easier to press.

Another side note and advantage of the Q10 is it has an Amoled screen and as a result has a dark theme at certain spots throughout the OS. Like the file manager for example, while the classic has light blue folders on top of a white background, the Q10 has blue folders on top a black background. All blacks and dark colors melt away with the device on the Q10, and of course saves on batter life.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately LED screens like the one on the Q10 do not replicate colors accurately. Everything is over saturated. Not to mention it is super dim compared to LCD. When I look at my Q10 now I always ask myself "why is it so dark?" then I remember...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-02-16 02:18 PM
    The whole 'one handed' typing debate really confuses me. I can type one handed on the Passport, however it's extremely slow and awkward. The Classic and Q10 therefore are definitely easier to use one-handed, however, you are never going to come close to what you can do with both hands.

So, really anytime someone asks this, my brain interprets it as either they are interested in convenience OR productivity because you can't have both. One-handed typing is WAY easier with BlackBerry's virtual keyboard so, if that is what is important to you, you should stick with that. If it's only 'occasional' then any device will do. But for the most efficient typing, you are going to be using both hands regardless.

As others have mentioned, with the Classic's trackpad and toolbelt, you will be able to do most things with one hand but you're still going to want to use both for serious typing. The Classic is a great device. I've recently switched back to the Passport but the beautiful design of the Classic, along with the added functionality of the toolbelt (nothing beats the trackpad for text editing) always tempts me back to it. It's a great device and could be the one that you would still be using years from now. The Classic IS an upgrade to the Q10, for sure. The battery even seems comparable to the Passport for my use which is quite something. The smaller screen must be why.

If you start with the Q10, I guarantee the Classic will still tempt you eventually. If you go with the Classic, you won't look back.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-02-16 03:20 PM
    Unfortunately LED screens like the one on the Q10 do not replicate colors accurately. Everything is over saturated. Not to mention it is super dim compared to LCD. When I look at my Q10 now I always ask myself "why is it so dark?" then I remember...

I definitely agree about the brightness on the Q10, it is pretty dim. But I would take the true and deep blacks of Amoled over the grayish blacks and light bleed of typical lcd panels any day. The last classic I handled had pretty bad light bleed in the top left corner. That's just something you don't have to worry about with Amoled screens.

I also don't really understand the need for a finely calibrated and accurate display. Unless your editing photos on your device, there's no need for such calibration. In fact I would think most consumers would gravitate towards a display that 'pops' rather than a display that's accurate.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-02-16 04:32 PM
    I definitely agree about the brightness on the Q10, it is pretty dim. But I would take the true and deep blacks of Amoled over the grayish blacks and light bleed of typical lcd panels any day. The last classic I handled had pretty bad light bleed in the top left corner. That's just something you don't have to worry about with Amoled screens.

I also don't really understand the need for a finely calibrated and accurate display. Unless your editing photos on your device, there's no need for such calibration. In fact I would think most consumers would gravitate towards a display that 'pops' rather than a display that's accurate.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    For me, it's not about the actual 'look' of the display at all. If I could choose, I'd go LED for the battery savings but the Classic seems to handle it pretty well. I don't put LCD above LED but if the battery life is great, regardless, it's a non-issue for me.
    01-02-16 04:38 PM
    The Classic is definitely more productive, but the low weight of Q10 is a huge plus on the other side...
    One has to try for oneself BUT be sure, there is no perfection in this universe specially with smart phones...you'll aways find a feature once being better on one phone and then like another more on an other...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 05:24 PM
    The AT&T Classic is said to support PMA wireless charging, but in fact it supports both qi and pma. I currently use a qi charger with my AT&T Classic and it works fine.

Good to know. But my ultimate Classic would both have wireless charging, and be colored Cobalt Blue. But this blue model comes only in -1 and -4 variants. The latter is sold through Shop BlackBerry, but no Cobalt Blue version supports any wireless charging, correct?

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    01-02-16 06:42 PM
    I've seen and used both. The classic definitely seems like the better choice. Bigger screen, bigger battery, better design and build quality (imo), the tool belt, and the fact that's it's a newer device.

Sent from my Passport
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-02-16 11:51 PM
    Good to know. But my ultimate Classic would both have wireless charging, and be colored Cobalt Blue. But this blue model comes only in -1 and -4 variants. The latter is sold through Shop BlackBerry, but no Cobalt Blue version supports any wireless charging, correct?

Yes, correct, only the -2 and the ones Verizon would use would support wireless charging. All of them black.

Avenzuno likes this.
    01-03-16 08:59 AM
    I've been using a Classic for a few weeks now and it's slowly growing on me. At first I wanted my Q10 back right away. I still prefer the form factor of the Q much better, and I prefer the look and feel of the Q as well.

The Classic is so much bigger and heavier, but it is something I'm getting used to.

If the Q had a trackpad it'd be a no-brainer: Q10!

BBM @ 2C018E13
    01-03-16 11:45 AM
    Don P1, I agree with you. BlackBerry may not have needed a Classic if they had added a tool belt to the Q. Then again, there are many people out there who love the Q because it doesn't have a tool belt.

I go back and forth between the two a couple of times a week. Both kb's are fine for me and I can go with either screen. It comes down to size/weight vs tool belt.

P.S. I did some cutting and pasting on this very post and I was quickly reminded why I really like the tool belt/track pad - so much faster and easier than it would have been with the Q. Funny.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 12:13 PM
    Ok, I finally found one of my old posts with the tips:

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.
    2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.
    3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.
    4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.
    5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.
    6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.
    7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.
    8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.
    9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

01-03-16 12:56 PM
    Ok, I finally found one of my old posts with the tips:

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.
    2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.
    3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.
    4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.
    5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.
    6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.
    7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.
    8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.
    9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

I learned stuff. Thank you.

BBM @ 2C018E13
    01-03-16 01:34 PM
    Q10.
    Looks great in all black. The back is fantastic. Removeable battery is the best!!!!!

Posted via PP
    01-03-16 01:57 PM
    I am typing this on a Q10 which I love. But I would say if you are in the market for a BB10 with a keyboard in 2016 the Classic is the way to go. The internals are the same with both but the Classic is still newer so in that sense it is a safer bet.

I would only consider the Q10 if price is an issue. The Classic is still expensive. Or if you prefer the smaller form factor. If there is a slight price drop in 201f I'll probably pick up a Classic myself.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 05:01 PM
    Classic all day every day of the week.

I personally see absolutely no reason to recommend a Q10 to anyone over a Classic unless they want a very small, pocket friendly phone, a back up BB device, or a swappable battery is absolute must.

I have owned both devices and even got rid of my first Classic wanting the Q10 again. But the minute I got a Q10 back I'd realised what a mistake I'd made.
    The Q10 was way too small. The small screen makes it difficult to do anything on (for me) and though AMOLED is generally a more desirable screen then LCD, the Classic screen is much much brighter and performs better in direct light.

I'm also a huge fan of that Classic keypad. For me, the best keypad BB have made.

It's funny too, as the Classic screen on paper doesn't sound like it'd be much bigger than the Q10's, but in reality it is a massive jump.
    I love the build quality of the Classic, it's very well made. Feels weighty, substantial, and expensive, whereas the Q10 now feels like a toy (to me).

So yeah, plump for Classic, unless you absolutely need the things mentioned above! Night and day the better device. Even without the fact that it also has a tool belt!
    Avenzuno and J_Apryono like this.
    01-04-16 10:34 AM
    Well, I've made my decision, but not for the reasons I expected. I knew I wanted to start off the New Year with a PKB device I can hold easily in one hand. While the Q10 could have worked, in the end I felt attracted to using the toolbelt and do less glass swiping. Originally I wanted a Verizon Classic because of the Qi wireless charging, and the flexibility of carriers, as I've gone back and forth between Big Red and at&t. But emotion and looks won out, so last night I took advantage of Shop BlackBerry's holiday sale, which ends today BTW, and ordered me a Cobalt Blue Classic bundle! I'll get me new, cool-looking BlackBerry 10 badboy in only a couple of days. I hope I can be even more productive with the Classic than I've been with my beloved Z30. We shall see!

01-05-16 12:20 PM
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 02:54 PM
    Can't really go wrong either way!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 03:35 PM
    Well, I've made my decision, but not for the reasons I expected. I knew I wanted to start off the New Year with a PKB device I can hold easily in one hand. While the Q10 could have worked, in the end I felt attracted to using the toolbelt and do less glass swiping. Originally I wanted a Verizon Classic because of the Qi wireless charging, and the flexibility of carriers, as I've gone back and forth between Big Red and at&t. But emotion and looks won out, so last night I took advantage of Shop BlackBerry's holiday sale, which ends today BTW, and ordered me a Cobalt Blue Classic bundle! I'll get me new, cool-looking BlackBerry 10 badboy in only a couple of days. I hope I can be even more productive with the Classic than I've been with my beloved Z30. We shall see!

You are going to REALLY dig your Cobalt Classic. I am one happy camper and switched from my Z30. Give it a week or two and brush up on all of Slagman's awesome helpful hints and you won't be able to put it down. Congrats!

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-05-16 07:32 PM
    So it's been about a week or so with my classic... perhaps longer and I freakin love my qwerty keypad. Additionally, the battery life is pretty stellar... 3 days with ease. I hardly use any apps and mainly for text/email/whatsapp and calling. Bluetooth is on most of the time while in the car. Thanks guys for helping me make the decision. I got an otterbox case for my phone and this thing is a tank.
    Avenzuno and bigjman like this.
    01-06-16 09:36 PM

Make sure to give us a review of what you think of the Classic. We all think it's stellar.

 Blackberryist 
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-07-16 03:37 AM
    Yes indeed. Would like your take after a couple weeks settling into the keyboard. Remember to learn all the functions of the tool belt, track pad and shortcuts.

Avenzuno likes this.
    01-07-16 04:34 PM
    Yes indeed. Would like your take after a couple weeks settling into the keyboard. Remember to learn all the functions of the tool belt, track pad and shortcuts.

Yes! I will need that long to see if I can get used to my first PKB device in over 4 years, particularly when that was an hp Pre3 and I've never owned a BBOS device! So far the biggest adjustment is going from VKB to PKB. I'm intent on making this transition work!
    01-08-16 11:36 AM
    It will once you've gotten used to it. ;o)

Avenzuno likes this.
    01-08-16 05:46 PM
    This thread has a lot of good info new Classic owners might be interested in.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 03:06 AM
75 123