Anybody know what's up? I read somewhere that wireless charging might be included in an AT&T version of the phone, but not sure if this is true. Might hold off pre-ordering if there will be a second edition with wireless charging.
    11-23-14 04:27 PM
    Yeah...the AT&T Classic is said to be getting wireless charging (PMA, not Qi.) And apparently the Verizon one is too (Qi.)
    11-23-14 05:04 PM
    Yeah...the AT&T Classic is said to be getting wireless charging (PMA, not Qi.) And apparently the Verizon one is too (Qi.)
    This ^

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 05:27 PM
    It's going to take FOREVER to charge with wireless. Not effective enough for me at this point. Cool idea though.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    11-23-14 06:34 PM
    It's going to take FOREVER to charge with wireless. Not effective enough for me at this point. Cool idea though.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, a lot of these wireless charging are almost as fast normal charging. I personally would prefer a slower charging since it doesn't heat up the battery as much, and I charge it overnight anyway, I don't need any crazy charging speed with that method...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    11-23-14 08:14 PM
    Actually, a lot of these wireless charging are almost as fast normal charging.
    There are 2A (output) wireless chargers now? Can you link me to one?

I personally would prefer a slower charging since it doesn't heat up the battery as much, and I charge it overnight anyway, I don't need any crazy charging speed with that method...
    But here's the thing: with wired charging, you can still accomplish slow, overnight charging: just plug the USB cable into a computer's USB port or a sub-750 mA wall charger. But you can't accomplish rapid charging with wireless charging. So wired charging presents more choices.

Wireless charging is cool, but IMO it's still a novelty and will stay that way until they can bring up their amperage outputs, efficiency, and transfer distance (which Rezence addresses.)
    11-23-14 08:27 PM
    There are 2A (output) wireless chargers now? Can you link me to one?

But here's the thing: with wired charging, you can still accomplish slow, overnight charging: just plug the USB cable into a computer's USB port or a sub-750 mA wall charger. But you can't accomplish rapid charging with wireless charging. So wired charging presents more choices.

Wireless charging is cool, but IMO it's still a novelty and will stay that way until they can bring up their amperage outputs, efficiency, and transfer distance (which Rezence addresses.)
    Not like you're forced to only charge wirelessly, if you need fast charging, use a cable, then for overnight use wireless. I personally RARELY use quick charging during the day. Maybe like a few times in the year and a half that I've had my Q10. My battery usually lasts a whole day for me...

11-23-14 09:09 PM
    I'm confused. Help me out here. Is it REALLY wireless charging? I mean that mat or station or something is plugged into a wire and the phone has to be in contact with the mat right? So what exactly is the benefit wireless charging unless it's speed or something else, etc.

Back to the Berry...like riding a bicycle.
    raino and spikesolie like this.
    11-23-14 09:25 PM
    I'm confused. Help me out here. Is it REALLY wireless charging? I mean that mat or station or something is plugged into a wire and the phone has to be in contact with the mat right? So what exactly is the benefit wireless charging unless it's speed or something else, etc.

I think that thing you plug in is for phones without it built in or something...

11-23-14 09:30 PM
    The "benefit" I've heard described most often is that you can set it down on a the large surface (mat/base) and simply pick it up when you need to. Apparently people find this quicker/more convenient than plugging and unplugging phones.

And yes--the base/mat is always plugged in. 'Wireless' describes the phone to charger connection.
    11-23-14 09:34 PM
    I have it on my nexus 4, 5 and 7. Love it. I have a bunch of 5 dollar eBay Qi charges and whenever I put my phone down it instantly starts charging. No need to plug in a wire, no worries about loosening the USB port or anything. It's not about charging it quickly even thought it's only a fraction slower. It's about it being easy. Same idea as the old bb docks. Just drop it down and walk away. Whoever would not use one, given the option is out to lunch. If the phone has it and comes with the charger, throw it nest to your bed or wherever you put your phone at night and enjoy it.
    anon(9184750) and Mr4aces like this.
    11-23-14 09:39 PM
    The "benefit" I've heard described most often is that you can set it down on a the large surface (mat/base) and simply pick it up when you need to. Apparently people find this quicker/more convenient than plugging and unplugging phones.

And yes--the base/mat is always plugged in. 'Wireless' describes the phone to charger connection.
    Ah, I see. So a gimmick to make money by convincing lazy people that in some way it's a benefit? [sarcasm voice]. Hey, I'm all for it if the people want it. I just don't need it, I guess. But I don't speak for anyone but myself.

11-23-14 11:55 PM
    Think like this and it will be very convenient. You have multiple devices with wireless charging. Finding the charger alone is bad, and what worse is those devices have different connection port. Wireless charging is the solution here. Drop all on that mat and that' it.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-24-14 12:07 AM
    Ah, I see. So a gimmick to make money by convincing lazy people that in some way it's a benefit? [sarcasm voice]. Hey, I'm all for it if the people want it. I just don't need it, I guess. But I don't speak for anyone but myself.

It saves the micro-usb port a lot of wear and tear.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 06:16 AM
    I've used over a dozen phones and have never had the unfortunate displeasure of a charging port wearing out, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone I know. And I can be pretty rough on my phones.
    howards and spikesolie like this.
    11-24-14 08:59 AM

Yes, a gimmick that means you don't wear out your micro-usb port (which definitely happens with constant plugging and unplugging.)...

11-24-14 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    What a gimmick. A worn-out usb port gives the phone character... ;-)

11-24-14 09:31 AM
    Too bad they never implemented the little connectors on the edges of the phone like the 9700 to use with a charging dock.
    11-24-14 11:38 AM
    Too bad they never implemented the little connectors on the edges of the phone like the 9700 to use with a charging dock.
    I'm a 9900 user hoping to upgrade.
    That's one of a few things the Q20 will not have. The wireless charging replaces that.

I think I might like the wireless charging, because it will work on different phones.

I just don't understand why they didn't do it for all 4 versions. Just confuses the uneducated new buyers.
    11-24-14 12:53 PM
    Will wireless charging be available on unlocked phones? I am on Att, but have no interest in Powermat. I'd much rather use Qi.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 01:25 PM
    I have the verizon z30 version with wireless charging and it charges faster using Qi than plugging in!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-24-14 02:06 PM
    Will wireless charging be available on unlocked phones? I am on Att, but have no interest in Powermat. I'd much rather use Qi.
    As long as you can buy the Verizon/Qi phone unlocked, yeah. But keep in mind, the trade-off in using a Verizon phone on AT&T is compatibility--your phone will catch LTE in fewer places.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-24-14 02:41 PM
    I LOVE wireless charging! I have it on my Verizon variant of the Z30 and it is awesome! I have a Tylt Vu charger and it's a no-brainer. Holds the phone nicely either portrait or landscape mode and charges at the same time.
    Mr4aces and Plazmic Flame like this.
    11-24-14 02:55 PM
    I LOVE wireless charging! I have it on my Verizon variant of the Z30 and it is awesome! I have a Tylt Vu charger and it's a no-brainer. Holds the phone nicely either portrait or landscape mode and charges at the same time.
    Tylt Vu has a nice design to hold the phone. Also angled so you can still use it with one hand from your desk.
    11-24-14 03:08 PM
    I get that it's easier and very convenient, but there are many articles online suggesting that the small amount of heat generated from the wireless charger can shorten overall battery life. I had the Tylt Vu for my Verizon Z30 and sent it back because the phone felt warm when I took it off the charger.

If it was a removable battery that would not be an issue. But with a permanent battery the added convenience just wasn't worth it to me.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.3289
    11-24-14 03:44 PM
147 123 ...