I'm still on the fence about replacing my Q10 with a classic. It has a lot that I'd appreciate, especially the physical button to end calls and the trackpad would be useful for selecting things too tiny for my large fingers to hit without expanding a bunch. I was disappointed that it didn't upgrade the RAM or CPU vs the Q10 but can live with that. The non replaceable battery concerns me. I have 3 batteries for the Q10. Originally just for making travel easier by swapping batteries vs charging.

2 of my BlackBerry brand batteries now both run down much more quickly than when I bought it 18 months ago. Not handy but I can get new ones on Amazon for $8. I doubt that replacements for Classic will be as cheap, and unless Classic is easier to work on than others I'll have to pay a shop for installation as well. I HOPE that a Classic battery life is longer than I'd seen from Q10 but need to know what to expect. Can anyone tell me if they're having issues yet? If so, when did it start being noticeable? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:23 PM
    No issues yet 10 months old .
    10-08-15 02:35 PM
    My "smart guys" dissected one, including battery R&R, and reported that they'd rather pay for a new one than repeat the experience... One commented he'd schedule his next root canal for that day, next time... lol. These are guys who typically shirk at NOthing. That said, it IS possible to R&R the thing, should it go bad. If that's your concern.

My need for swappable battery derives mostly from the unpredictability of my daily routine. I really like and use the ability to restore my drained to shut down 9900 back to 100% charge in 3 minutes. I'm not aware of ANY fixed battery device that can be restored to service 3 minutes after drain to shut down. I also really like the ability to restore charge to 100% according to my schedule... such as before returning a call that i expect to be prolonged. Swappable battery also permits customization so that i can use a relatively heavy and bulky extended battery (5000mAhr) on days when needed but swap back to compact and light weight OEM batt on lighter use days.

The fixed battery in our Classics is sized to provide impressive endurance under heavy use conditions. Which means you're packing excess weight during lighter use days. Batteries are a significant part of device weight.

Quite a few folks seem to not mind these limitations. I carry and use my Classic but find it a better use of pocket space to pack a spare 9900 than to pack a usb battery pack. You'll need to evaluate your needs. If you don't really swap Q10 batteries as part of daily routine, i'd predict you'd be OK with Classic's fixed battery. My plan is to simply purchase a new Classic once its battery gets weak.

Edit: The Classic's physical "End" key IS worth what ever price of admission... IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-08-15 at 07:22 PM.
    10-08-15 06:58 PM
    What about a battery pack?
    10-09-15 05:03 AM
    I already have one for travel, but my concern is whether the battery still lasts reasonably well 6-12mo after purchase. If you're in a meeting or any other place other than your desk it isn't simple to use one that doesn't make it simple to charge. So if the Classic starts not holding a charge unless you want to have a wire running from your BlackBerry and the battery pack. Then if you're trying to move at the same time having to juggle battery and Classic then you'll appreciate a longer usable lifetime before you must replace the battery.

Thanks for commenting though!

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 06:26 AM
    I always wonder how many folks routinely recommending USB battery packs actually routinely USE the things. Lol.

In effort to more precisely address your question, my Classic is going on 8 months old and no detectable battery degradation so far. My Z30, somewhat analogous battery config, is about 1.5 yrs old. No battery weakness noticed so far. I ABUSE batteries, prioritizing client needs over phone's naggs. If that helps.
    10-09-15 06:53 AM
    Won't help with the phone battery degradation.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 10:00 AM
    I'm one of those people that have a 10k battery pack. I don't have to use it often but if I forget to charge the Classic I use it at work instead of a charger. It also comes in handy for a backup to the LM1 batteries. The Classic holds its charge all day.

I tried to get away from the Classic because like other I like the size and removable battery of the 9900. So I sold my SQC100-4 Classic 2 months ago and bought a Q10. Well after 5 days the phone was returned to Amazon and I purchased a SQC100-2 Classic with wireless charging.

The track belt is unsurpassed. Once you use a pkb with a track belt you won't go back. If RIM/ML would bave made a Bold II instead of the Q10 BlackBerry would not be struggling now.

Order your phone from Amazon if you don't like it return it within the 30 day return window.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 10-09-15 at 07:44 PM.
    10-09-15 06:50 PM
    All I have to say is don't break the screen on the Classic I took one apart and I'm not going to put it back together. The most difficult BlackBerry I have ever taken apart (I have not attempted Passport)
    It does not rate well in my books for repairing.

I think swapping the battery wouldn't be too bad, they sure try to deter the DYI'er.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 07:09 PM
    I haven't found a need for this, as the battery has long outlived my previous BlackBerrys!
    Has anyone replaced the battery on their Classic?-img_20151010_040310.png

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 04:03 AM
    I've had my Classic for a few months now and it is a champ when it comes to battery. I'll admit I'm more of a light/medium user but the battery has been nothing short of amazing, again, for my use-case.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 09:48 AM
    I'm sure the OP can speak for himself but re-reading it looks to me like he's more concerned with long term battery performance than short term endurance. A valid concern, IMO. Put another way, if i may, how impressive will Classic's daily endurance be a year from now? 2 or 3 yrs from now? What data can indicate this? Also, what are options as Classic's battery ages to unacceptable daily endurance performance? I can safely say that Classic's battery is NOT DIY-user friendly for swap.

Z30 is closest analogy we might find to derive long term performance data. As stated above, my 1.5 yr old Z30 battery seems fine. Perhaps Z30 forums might provide relevant experience? IDK.

I do know that the Classic's current endurance is impressive but BB itself attributes only 15% of that to the fixed battery configuration. The rest is simple oversize. I use a 5000mAhr extended battery in my swappable battery 9900 that reliably provides 3 to 5 days of endurance. I still carry, and use, a spare. The OEM battery for THAT 4+ yr old device died years ago but required 30 seconds to replace. Different, and relevant, story for our Classics.
    10-10-15 12:37 PM
    I know that I haven't had my Classic for as long as some of the respondents here (only about a month) but no issues with battery degradation here whatsover. I previously had a Z30 in use for about two years and that thing's battery had no issues either with degradation.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-10-15 02:32 PM
    Idssteve, thanks for a concise and usable response!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 06:15 AM
    Standby time is awesome on this device. Depending on my usage my device lasts all day, on heavy days I may get to 20% by the end of the day but that is a rarity.

Now my Note 4 on the other hand does die at least once per day, so having a spare battery pack works wonders. From video watching etc it's easy to drain any device battery.

For email text and phone the Classic is perfect battery life, I tried some days only using my Classic and the battery couldn't handle all the extra stuff lol

J Be....Here But Gone...
    10-11-15 07:16 AM
    I'm sure the OP can speak for himself but re-reading it looks to me like he's more concerned with long term battery performance than short term endurance. A valid concern, IMO. Put another way, if i may, how impressive will Classic's daily endurance be a year from now? 2 or 3 yrs from now? What data can indicate this? Also, what are options as Classic's battery ages to unacceptable daily endurance performance? I can safely say that Classic's battery is NOT DIY-user friendly for swap.
    Idssteve, you again grasped my point! Kudos! When I 1st used my Q10 the battery life was much better than I had gotten from my Palm Treo Pro (850) so I was very satisfied. Six months later it was below 50% before lunch. I bought a new BlackBerry battery from Amazon for $7 and I was back in business. Now it's been less than a year, with my needing to charge multiple times a day on heavy phone or browser days.

Aggravating, yes, but since I can easily slap in a new battery it isn't going to stop me from working more than the 1-2min it takes to reboot. Since I depend on my Q10 for so many things, having to be without it for several days while it's being fixed would be a big loss. THAT plus the cost has kept me from enjoying the benefits of the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 08:46 AM
    I have a Q10 and Z10 on Verizon but I'm thinking of switching to Tmo or ATT. My only concern besides losing unlimited data is which phone would best suit my needs. I don't want to fork out a lot of money for a phone that I can't the place the battery. I'm thinking of just getting an unlocked Q10 from Amazon since I already have accessories for it but at the same time I want the tool belt or the Passport. I'm also worried of buying a Q10 to only get double typing again.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 09:35 AM
    I have a Q10 and Z10 on Verizon but I'm thinking of switching to Tmo or ATT. My only concern besides losing unlimited data is which phone would best suit my needs. I don't want to fork out a lot of money for a phone that I can't the place the battery. I'm thinking of just getting an unlocked Q10 from Amazon since I already have accessories for it but at the same time I want the tool belt or the Passport. I'm also worried of buying a Q10 to only get double typing again.

Posted via CB10
    With the latest update, the double typing issue has largely been fixed.

If you still have the double type issues, you could easily replace the keyboard of the Q10.

By the way, the Classic keyboards are as just as likely to double type as the Q10 keyboard, except, with a Q10, you can swap the keyboard quite easily.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 12:29 PM