I have to say that all and all BlackBerry has done a great job making the toolbelt interact in a way that makes since. But give the fact that the Classic has send and end keys it's annoying that it takes several pushes of the end key to hang up and get back to the home screen. The way the bb10 dialer functions made since on my Z10 but it's unnecessary with a tool belt. Does this drive anyone else crazy? I'd like an option to automatically close the dialer completely out when pushing the end key.

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    04-29-15 06:20 AM
    This was probably the very first reason for people to complain about the Classic, right after its release.
    The majority of users agreed that a call needs to end after one push only.
    Unfortunately, this was not changed until today, not even in the latest leaked OS version.

Posted via CB10
    scott082801 likes this.
    04-29-15 06:28 AM
    The only time you should need to press the End button more than once to end a call is if you are multitasking and the Phone app does not have focus on the screen, this is by design since the End key is configured to minimize an app to an active frame by default so it prevents you from accidentally ending a phone call when you're trying to minimize or switch apps.
    kitmo likes this.
    04-29-15 07:52 AM
    The only time you should need to press the End button more than once to end a call is if you are multitasking and the Phone app does not have focus on the screen, this is by design since the End key is configured to minimize an app to an active frame by default so it prevents you from accidentally ending a phone call when you're trying to minimize or switch apps.
    True but the back key also minimizes the dialer to an active frame also when you're in a call. It'd be awesome of they'd simply make it two pushes of the end key. One to go back to the call list and one to totally kill the processes for the dialer.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 10:46 AM
    All depends on priorities. I agree with OP in preferring BBOS's priority on making "call end" actually end the call. This works nicely when you've navigated to a spreadsheet to discuss, for example, and wish to seamlessly continue working the spreadsheet after ASSUREDLY ending the call.

I can see where others, accustomed to "consumer grade" platforms, might find that priority disconcerting.

I, for one, would rather error toward having to call a client back than risk having him inadvertently listening in on "shop talk". Others would rather not have to explain to their wife for "accidentally hanging up". Lol.

"End" key on Classic's in my office get multiple presses routinely. Much, much, MUCH (!!!!) preferred over "glass guess", IMO.
    04-30-15 08:04 AM
    Kind of related�how about starting a call.. if you're in a text message or email, and you hit the phone key, will it dial the sender? (provided the email has a contact entry with phone number of course).

I was playing around on one in the verizon store, opened a text in the hub, hit call, but it just opened the phone app. Is it really just a global shortcut to open the app? On my 9930 I use it all the time to initiate a call within a text thread.

Is this another example of BB shoehorning a toolbelt in without properly integrating it?

edit to not be totally off topic: On BBOS, the back key would 'minimize' the dialer so you could do other things on the phone, and no matter what you were doing, the end call would end the call, so you had to be careful not to use the end key to close an app, which I open do, inadvertently ending calls. Does hitting the end key on the classic bring the dialer to focus automatically, then you press end again to actually end the call? Is that what happens? If so, that kind of seems like a welcome change, as I wouldn't accidentally end calls as often.
    04-30-15 09:31 AM
    I have to say that all and all BlackBerry has done a great job making the toolbelt interact in a way that makes since. But give the fact that the Classic has send and end keys it's annoying that it takes several pushes of the end key to hang up and get back to the home screen. The way the bb10 dialer functions made since on my Z10 but it's unnecessary with a tool belt. Does this drive anyone else crazy? I'd like an option to automatically close the dialer completely out when pushing the end key.

Posted via CB10
    I'm confused about "several" pushes to hang up and get back to home screen. The first push will hang up. The second push will get back to the home screen. How is this any different than the 9900, etc?

The only difference now is that the hangup function only works if the phone app is on the screen, so if you went somewhere else during the call you need to get back to the call app to hangup. I actually prefer this since before on my 9900 I would sometimes navigate away to look at something, then out of habit, I'd hit the home button (also the hang up button) and hang up the call even though I wasn't on the call screen. Now, if that happens, you just go home and always see a green bar on top telling you there is a call active.

As far as back vs. end to go to home screen, yes...sometimes both with do this....but not always. End call is ALWAYS go home, while back is not. Back button only goes home if there is no other back function left inside the app (browser pages, email, etc). Also, the back button, if you hit too quickly, can close an app if you weren't paying attention.

What I do now is add a quick vibe when the call connects and when the call disconnects (I have an app doing this). This deals with two issues: First, the horrible 10.3.1 software has a delay when you actually make a call and you don't see the call connected screen immediately, and sometimes you're not sure if it's working. The quick vibe is an assurance that you are connecting even though you never saw that on the screen before putting the phone to your head.

The second vibe when hanging up confirms that, indeed, I have hung up and that I didn't press the end call button while in some other app, leaving the call active.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 04-30-15 at 10:14 AM.
    04-30-15 09:53 AM
    +1 for "quick vibe".
    04-30-15 10:01 AM
    I'm confused about "several" pushes to hang up and get back to home screen. The first push will hang up. The second push will get back to the home screen. How is this any different than the 9900, etc?

The only difference now is that the hangup function only works if the phone app is on the screen, so if you went somewhere else during the call you need to get back to the call app to hangup. I actually prefer this since before on my 9900 I would sometimes navigate away to look at something, then out of habit, I'd hit the home button (also the hang up button) and hang up the call even though I wasn't on the call screen. Now, if that happens, you just go home and always see a green bar on top telling you there is a call active.

As far as back vs. end to go to home screen, yes...sometimes both with do this....but not always. End call is ALWAYS go home, while back is not. Back button only goes home if there is no other back function left inside the app (browser pages, email, etc). Also, the back button, if you hit too quickly, can close an app if you weren't paying attention.

What I do now is add a quick vibe when the call connects and when the call disconnects (I have an app doing this). This deals with two issues: First, the horrible 10.3.1 software has a delay when you actually make a call and you don't see the call connected screen immediately, and sometimes you're not sure if it's working. The quick vibe is an assurance that you are connecting even though you never saw that on the screen before putting the phone to your head.

The second vibe when hanging up confirms that, indeed, I have hung up and that I didn't press the end call button while in some other app, leaving the call active.
    As far as the several pushes goes, the phone reacts different to hanging up incoming calls than it does to hanging up outgoing. On an incoming call the phone will go back the homescreen quickly after 2 pushes of the end key. However when hanging up an outgoing call it takes one push to end the call & take you to the call list. It then takes another to minimize the panel & then the third step is a tap to the phones screen to close the active pane.

It would have been more accurate to say that I feel there's too many steps to end a phone call.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 02:35 PM
    I wish the phone app would close automatically when a call is ended even on my z30! I also wish that if I close the phone app active frame, it would end the call!

Posted via CB10
    allwi likes this.
    04-30-15 02:59 PM
    It depends... when you are being called.. the app closes when you push the end call button.. when you make a call it indeed doesn't

Btw.. what is the name from that app ( quick vibe) ?

Posted via my awesome Classic
    04-30-15 04:15 PM
    As far as the several pushes goes, the phone reacts different to hanging up incoming calls than it does to hanging up outgoing. On an incoming call the phone will go back the homescreen quickly after 2 pushes of the end key. However when hanging up an outgoing call it takes one push to end the call & take you to the call list. It then takes another to minimize the panel & then the third step is a tap to the phones screen to close the active pane.

It would have been more accurate to say that I feel there's too many steps to end a phone call.

Posted via CB10
    Mmm....I'm not seeing that. Either way, incoming or outgoing, it's only 2 presses to get back to the home screen. I just tried both.

There is only one step to end the phone call. One step is too many? The phone responds no differently than nearly any other smart phone.
    04-30-15 06:43 PM
    It depends... when you are being called.. the app closes when you push the end call button.. when you make a call it indeed doesn't

Btw.. what is the name from that app ( quick vibe) ?

Posted via my awesome Classic
    The quick vibration is added by using Power Tools. There is a "Phone connects" menu that lets you get a custom length vibration upon connect or disconnect or both. Mine is set to 100ms.
    04-30-15 06:47 PM
    This is very annoying, glad im not the only one that noticed this

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 02:59 AM
    You know, all of your 'complaints' are actually things done to prevent accidents when multitasking right? How ridiculous would it be if people are used to End=minimize, and then and update came along and suddenly everyone starts randomly Ending Calls instead.

And if you could just close the Active Frame to End a Call, that would also cause all sorts of unwanted behaviour. Imagine opening eight Active Frames during a call, would you want the call to be dropped because the Active Frame disappeared?

And unless you manually opened the Phone app, it already closes automatically after an incoming call. If you opened it manually, how would it make sense for the phone to close it?

All of this is done to prevent confusing behaviour for 'the average user'.
    _____
    @ pressing Call from an overflow menu: it should already start calling automatically, and not just open the Phone app.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ Nintendo Social BBM Channel @ C001221B2
    05-01-15 03:17 AM
    I hate the "phone app"
    It should be completly separate from being an app,
    Another thing is when i search for some from scratch, and the universal search finds them, the call key doesnot dial!! Hate it
    05-01-15 10:21 PM
    I hate the "phone app"
    It should be completly separate from being an app,
    Another thing is when i search for some from scratch, and the universal search finds them, the call key doesnot dial!! Hate it
    I think the problem within the search results is that they didn't to make it automatically dial because some results might have more than one number assigned. I think maybe they can allow you to set a "default" number for each contact so that feature can be allowed...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-01-15 10:28 PM