why should a physical keyboard require a premium price?

If they want to grow they need to appeal to people like myself and not die hards who will buy anything BB.

I'm not going to go back and forth about a phone that is outdated on the day of release... Was just hoping for more from them.
    Because of exclusivity. BB is the only one offering a keyboard. Supply and demand, if you want a keyboard, you have to pay the price.

You are not the people they are trying to appeal to.

Want less outdated, you have the Passport.
    Vintage123 and Xenolock like this.
    01-03-15 09:31 AM
    The Benchmarks are brutal. Every 150$ smartphone out of China gets better benchmarks.
    The price of their hardware.... Is ridiculous.

The verdict, that it's an overpriced device for basically no one, is the same as in pretty other review.

It was written in a friendlier way than most other reviews though.
    Overall, the tone is basically the same in all of the non CrackBerry reviews I read:

Overpriced
    Underspecced
    Inexistant Ecosystem
    Allegedly for BlackBerry diehards, but....
    Who should actually buy this outdated and overpriced phone, even within the BlackBerry community?

But, to read a review that actually puts a focus on the potential target market (I doubt that this market actually still exists though), has practically no biased negativity, and was actually thorough, is nice for a change.
    If you want a BlackBerry to be priced at a Huwaii or some other cheap brand, then BlackBerry will be out of the hardware game by June. A cost leadership strategy requires marketshare which they don't have.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.1.1133 / Telus
    01-03-15 09:38 AM
    With all of the arguments made and I see some very well thought out ones on each side there is one sad reality.

Because BlackBerry has lost so much market share they can't get the best costs period.

Supply and demand was stated for selling price. But it applies to BlackBerry too.

Even using Foxconn they still have to pay a premium due to the small manufacturing volumes they must command now.

They have decided to pass that along because they can't probably afford not to any longer.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:50 AM
    I don't know about it being circa 2009, but what I do know...

The folks who don't care or pay attention to the Classic's specs now, will care when it's EOL is years shorter than the Passport, possibly even the Z30.
    Right.....just like all those 9900 owners holding on to them with a death grip. Gotcha. Obviously they don't care that much about some artificially declared EOL, they care about what they care about.

Lotta bloviating and accusations going on here. I don't want to put the thread on ice, but it's getting tempting.

FYI- Making the claim that someone is bloviateing is in itself an accusation.
    Vintage123 and gnirkatto like this.
    01-03-15 10:00 AM
    Guess that's why its sold out everywhere and on backorder.. canadian carriers can't get them quick enough... yeah.. nobody interested (rolling eyes)..

Posted via CB10
    lol lol lol yea I know looks like LOTS of ppl like the phone good to see
    01-03-15 10:01 AM
    Bold 9900/9930 phones are still being used and are useful for corporate businesses and they are a 2011 phone. The Classic will be relevant for its business partner customers for at least 3+ years as well. The Classic is for the Bold 9900/9930 customer base and some of the Q10 user base who want the tool belt and track pad.

Keep this thread simple.

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-03-15 10:01 AM
    Right.....just like all those 9900 owners holding on to them with a death grip. Gotcha. Obviously they don't care that much about some artificially declared EOL, they care about what they care about.
    How many could that possibly be, maybe a couple hundred thousand holding out for the perfect upgrade? The rest are using them because of BIS or don't want to spend money on any upgrade.

FYI- Making the claim that someone is bloviateing is in itself an accusation.
    No, this is an accusation:

Perhaps you and another guy over in another classic thread are the same person.
    You sir are pushing it, and if I close the thread, it will have absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on the topic, and everything to do with unnecessary circular arguments. Got it?
    MarsupilamiX and Bbnivende like this.
    01-03-15 10:12 AM
    Actually no.
    This is a typical case of an uninformed consumer getting the needed information to make a conscious buying decision.

The co-workers knew something about the phone,m she didn't and were friendly enough to tell her that she would grossly overpay for those specs.

Which is directly linked to the price/performance ratio. A ratio where basically nobody is worse than BlackBerry.
    I find myself in this situation all the time (I suspect many here do as well). Because I know more about tech many friends will ask me about the phone they want to purchase. It happens with not just BB but also with iPhones and Androids, someone will love the phone for a single feature, advertised feature(s) or perception of the phone, and a lot don't like the opinion I give (one that they asked me for). Anyone that doesn't get as much information as they can (either on their own or asking someone) on any large purchase they make is foolish in my opinion.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 10:34 AM
    You sir are pushing it, and if I close the thread, it will have absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on the topic, and everything to do with unnecessary circular arguments. Got it?
    The pros & cons about the phone, the specs, the price, etc are all "circular arguments". It's the same thing posted over & over again on both sides of the fence with a slightly different title or wording. I really don't understand why it's circular to defend something the same way over and over but it's not circular to criticize it in the same manner.

Posted via CB10
    Happystyle likes this.
    01-03-15 10:57 AM
    I really want to come back to BB but I need a good camera which rules out the Passport and I want a decent screen for media consumption that rules out the Classic. The price point for the Classic is a joke...
    It's funny, you talk about the price point, yet you ruled out the Classic already because of something else... So basically, even if it was cheaper, you STILL wouldn't have bought it. So tell me, how would that have helped BB in terms of profits?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    sk8er_tor and Vintage123 like this.
    01-03-15 10:59 AM
    The pros & cons about the phone, the specs, the price, etc are all "circular arguments". It's the same thing posted over & over again on both sides of the fence with a slightly different title or wording. I really don't understand why it's circular to defend something the same way over and over but it's not circular to criticize it in the same manner.

Posted via CB10
    If it's circular pro or against, it's circular. At some point almost every thread reaches a dead end. This one was heading towards a brick wall.
    ponpiri likes this.
    01-03-15 11:01 AM
    Apple phones are a must have item for the herd mentally, people who want to queue up all week to be the first to own a phone shows its not about owning the best phone. It's a status thing an image some people need and want for reasons they don't even understand themselves. Is a Volkswagon better than a Ferrari because you see more of them on the road? Apple have created a monster by clever advertising and marketing and by having very little competition for a long time, while BlackBerry lost their way. Now Jacky Chan is in charge watch BlackBerry go back to the top where they should be. But I don't think any one phone will suite everyone. But from day one for some unknown reason to me I've always had a BlackBerry and always will, no matter how many iPhone's I have seen in my family!

Chris. London UK
    Remember kids, racism is ok as long as it's against Asians. How much you guys want to bet nobody says anything about that? Lol :-D

01-03-15 11:03 AM
    I don't know what the next big thing is but I think the curved screen is a big start. At least Samsung is innovating, I hope BB sticks with the square and upgrades it.

You can argue about the Classic all you want but the price is high for a small screen and outdated specs...why should a physical keyboard require a premium price? I'm not looking for cheapness but 450 for this?

The Classic is geared towards maybe .01% of the population and I don't see how that brings BB back to legitimacy unless you are a poster on Crackberry.

I understand BB can't please everyone but they aren't pleasing many right now. If they want to grow they need to appeal to people like myself and not die hards who will buy anything BB.

I'm not going to go back and forth about a phone that is outdated on the day of release... Was just hoping for more from them.
    Would you have bought one if it was cheaper?

01-03-15 11:04 AM
    The point being the phone is overpriced and circa 2009.�..I'm sorry you get so defensive over BB but you are not who BB needs to win to survive they already have you. They need me and the guy's wife which they did not get initially with the Classic. For $250 or maybe 300 I'd leave Verizon and try it but I can also shell out 300 for a Note 4... Put the two side by side and ask an average person walking in the mall which phone they want...this is who they need to win.

I don't know the relationship between BB and US carriers but it is a shame the Passport is not on display next to the Note 4 or IPhone.... I just don't see how BB gets market share with the Classic.....I'd love to know how many Classic sales are new to BB or just upgrades.
    But that's kind of the point, the Classic was only meant for us, their next all-touch phone would likely be the one they will try to get more mass appeal out of.

01-03-15 11:10 AM
    It's always the same people joining every thread complaining about price. We got you the first time you complained about the price so you don't need to come in every thread and say the same thing over and over again. It's like starting from the beginning every time with these people; they clearly don't get it and refuse to understand the other side.
    Alain_A, jmr1015 and Vintage123 like this.
    01-03-15 11:11 AM
    It's always the same people joining every thread complaining about price. We got you the first time you complained about the price so you don't need to come in every thread and say the same thing over and over again. It's like starting from the beginning every time with these people; they clearly don't get it and refuse to understand the other side.
    At times, it's easy to forget this is actually a fansite. Shame.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    01-03-15 11:18 AM
    If I could get the Classic cheaper I would consider it.....I will not buy it through Verizon when they get it and be stuck with it for two years. I can't see myself with a tiny screen for that long. If Verizon got the Passport I would consider it but the camera horror on the Passport forum scares me.

My only point about the Classic is that I don't see how it brings in more customers. BB needs more to improve apps because Amazon isn't always going to cut it. When I first read about it I was interested then I saw the specs and screen size and just couldn't believe it. And sorry we are a spec driven world.

Bottom line I'm going to wait a month or so and see what is coming out from anyone not named Apple. I'm still hoping for something to bring me back to BB.... I still fire up my Storm every now and then.
    01-03-15 11:25 AM
    Not everyone who buys a car cares about horsepower, even when buying a luxury vehicle, and the same is true of phones. If you run a bunch of games and Android Ports, you probably care more. If you can do 90% of who you need with the native apps, then the phone is already "futureproof" until your needs change.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 11:26 AM
    I own a white Z10, black Q10, and Z30....and yes, I am getting a Classic once Verizon has available. And even if the Passport was available on Verizon, I'd most likely skip it because of its wide form factor. I like one handed devices and use my Z30 mainly at nights and weekends at home.

Conclusion: it's what YOU want and not what others think you should have!

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    01-03-15 11:27 AM
    How is it marking BS when its actually true? .
    As if Q5/Q10 were not developed as upgrade devices for Curve/Bold users... Obviously, BB tried to avoid a comparison to existing BB10 keyboard devices cause that would have revealed to everybody that the only major difference is the return of the toolbelt and the specs haven't changed much in 2 years. The "9900 successor" thing is just a lame excuse for the outdated hardware.
    Due to the specs, Classic is the new Curve. Still hoping John Chin brings a new Bold.
    jmr1015 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-03-15 11:32 AM
    And what about new users in the blackberry world? Q10, classic? Hm...
    01-03-15 11:38 AM
    This phone has been released for almost a month and you guys are still having the same argument? The Classic has been completely sold out multiple times, so clearly the demand is exceeding the supply. If you don't plan on purchasing the phone, what is the point of arguing with people who will? You guys need to get a grip.
    Vintage123, pgg101 and 7onZ like this.
    01-03-15 12:35 PM
    Folks who have both the Classic and Passport - which has the better keyboard? For those who have the Q10 and Classic is there any performance increase or decrease?
    01-03-15 03:19 PM
    I have both and I think that the Classic keyboard is better. Feels more natural and effective with the 4-row keyboard. No real learning curve and requires less effort than the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Bbnivende like this.
    01-03-15 03:44 PM
    I really want to come back to BB but I need a good camera which rules out the Passport and I want a decent screen for media consumption that rules out the Classic. The price point for the Classic is a joke and if you disagree you need to take off your blinders. If BB has to account for software costs that is their problem not mine and part of a business model problem.

I had an inward chuckle on New Years Eve at a fairly large charity gala party. My wife and I were seated at a table for 8 (people we did not know). Everyone was snapping pics left and right and the wives wanted pics etc. The woman closest to my wife had an iPhone 5s and asked if she could take a pic of us and then everyone at her table. The ambience of the room was dim and her flash went off and she kept exclaiming that the pics were not that great. I have a Passport so I whipped that out and took a pic of her and her hubby. Then showed her whereupon she immediately asked if I could transfer it to her phone. Well she of course did not have NFC so I had to get her email and send it to her that way. The WHOLE table was blown away by the quality of the Passport pics. I spent the next 1/2 to 1 hour showing the phone off to people as they kept buying me drinks
    01-03-15 04:15 PM
181 ... 23456 ...