No they won't, but you know why android has a HUGE market share? Because there's SOOOO many cheap android phones.

If blackberry could make a REAL cheap BB10 phone, then MAYBE they could have some new users that are willing to give BB10 a chance buy they phone which in return would make devs spend $ developing apps for this platform.

So if they could've found a way to sell the classic at MINIMUM profit then maybe, just maybe more people would've bought it. Because having it sold out means jack, it's sold out because they haven't produce enough of it.

The passport was also sold out, and they sold 200k (supposedly) the first day. 200k is a freaking joke.

And don't tell me the classic outsold the passport, because even if they managed to sell 500k, that's still a joke.

BBRY wants to focus on enterprise, that's fine, but more and more entreprise users are using Ios/android because these platform do have a lots of business friendly apps which BB10 lacks.

I do believe blackberry can and will survive as a software company, but if they think they'll survive by leveraging the entreprise side, then they better get their crap together and find a way to at least get business devs to make apps for BB10!

Anyway, that's just my 2cents.

Posted via CB10
    Regardless of how cheap they made it, if someone doesn't want a pkb, they will not buy it. If BB wants to make a cheap marketable device, it has to be all-touch. The market for pkb with trackpad pretty much belongs to BB, which is why they could charge a bit more for it. Now if they release an all-touch device with entry-level specs and charge a premium for it, then that's definitely a mistake. But with the Classic, it's pretty much their opportunity to squeeze out a bit more profit margin. Price it low or high I don't think it would have made a significant difference in the number of units sold...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Bbnivende and ChainPunch like this.
    01-03-15 02:24 AM
    A bigger problem than the price and specs for consumers is that none of the stores that I have visited have an actual working model. The carriers obviously do not feel that the Classic has any sales potential. With respect to the price and specs, BlackBerry seems to have aimed below the premium Bold concept and higher than the bargain basement Curve concept.

If a business wants to buy the Classic for their employees, I do not think that the price / specs enters into the equation. The trouble for BlackBerry is that most employees and consumers would have preferred the BlackBerry flagship all touch phone or even a Z30 (with a better screen).

I can understand why BlackBerry wanted to correct the Q10 but I think Chen was wrong in thinking that the lack of a tool pad was the problem. The Q10 screen was too small. Chen should have realised that a 1:1 screen was the real problem.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-03-15 at 03:17 AM.
    01-03-15 02:46 AM
    Always found gsmarena to be objective on their reviews. Glad that the review on the classic is a fair one.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 03:42 AM
    No they won't, but you know why android has a HUGE market share? Because there's SOOOO many cheap android phones.

If blackberry could make a REAL cheap BB10 phone, then MAYBE they could have some new users that are willing to give BB10 a chance buy they phone which in return would make devs spend $ developing apps for this platform.
    The thing that makes Android phones so cheap is also that OEMs have minimal software development costs related to the OS. Android is there and ready to go, while BB must continue developing BB10 on their own.
    01-03-15 05:42 AM
    I'm trying to figure out what BB is doing with this phone. I work for a huge corp everyone has Iphones and I live in Cincinnati and I see Proctor and Gamble people with iPhones as they sit in Starbucks. My wife is a teacher and every email she gets from an administrator the tag reads.... Sent from my iPhone. People are using personal devices for work and they don't want this type of device.

I really want to come back to BB but I need a good camera which rules out the Passport and I want a decent screen for media consumption that rules out the Classic. The price point for the Classic is a joke and if you disagree you need to take off your blinders. If BB has to account for software costs that is their problem not mine and part of a business model problem.

I currently use a galaxy S3 off contract from Verizon hoping for a Blackberry to come out that I can use. I really don't want to go back to Samsung because of bloat but when the new S6 comes out it'll once again put BB behind 3 years at least.
    01-03-15 07:31 AM
    I think it's bigger than that. They also come in a lot of choices, and offer a lot of flexibility that Apple haters want. But certainly other parts of the world may focus on the cheapness.

I suppose they could try this, but that's a bit like saying "If Mercedes could just make a cheap model there'd be more of them driving around". People already think of BB as a useless nothing phone....why give them more fuel to think this. BB is obviously going for a premium look and build and experience, even if it doesn't require battery sucking specs just for the sake of having them.

So if they could've found a way to sell the classic at MINIMUM profit then maybe, just maybe more people would've bought it. Because having it sold out means jack, it's sold out because they haven't produce enough of it.
    Sure, you could sell more at minimum profit, or sell less at a maximum profit. Either way....you made a profit. I'm guessing the insiders at BB now this forumla better than people guessing on blogs.

Having it sold out means jack no matter WHAT price it sells at. Moot point.

The passport was also sold out, and they sold 200k (supposedly) the first day. 200k is a freaking joke.

And don't tell me the classic outsold the passport, because even if they managed to sell 500k, that's still a joke.

I'm not sure I understand the joke. It means that A: they didn't make the mistake of making too many at a loss, and that B: they can make another run to meet the demand and tweak from there. it's a careful approach from a company that doesn't have money to spare and is trying make some sort of comeback. You don't think they actually expected to see Iphone numbers....did you?

BBRY wants to focus on enterprise, that's fine, but more and more entreprise users are using Ios/android because these platform do have a lots of business friendly apps which BB10 lacks.
    BB10 doesn't lack business friendly apps. It's BB's job to convince the world that people still want to use them, they are still serious and dedicate to business, and that making BB apps....even if you charge more for them....is a worthwhile endeavor.

I do believe blackberry can and will survive as a software company, but if they think they'll survive by leveraging the entreprise side, then they better get their crap together and find a way to at least get business devs to make apps for BB10!

Anyway, that's just my 2cents.

Posted via CB10
    On this we agree. Handsets are just part of the strategy. They aren't gong to get rich selling a handset to every grandma and 13 year old like some other company.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 01-03-15 at 07:48 AM.
    01-03-15 07:33 AM
    I'm trying to figure out what BB is doing with this phone. I work for a huge corp everyone has Iphones and I live in Cincinnati and I see Proctor and Gamble people with iPhones as they sit in Starbucks. My wife is a teacher and every email she gets from an administrator the tag reads.... Sent from my iPhone. People are using personal devices for work and they don't want this type of device. .
    You just made a massive assumption. Some people may be just fine with their Iphone and have never experienced anything different and don't know the difference. The reason you see people everywhere with Iphones, etc. is that they've chosen to buy them compared to the old BB that they knew before. They don't know anything about the new ones at all....so those that might be interested in a PKB, or a more efficient operating system, or getting away from all the drawback of Iphone, don't really know they have that choice. That's BB's horrible marketing (or complete lack of it).

I really want to come back to BB but I need a good camera which rules out the Passport and I want a decent screen for media consumption that rules out the Classic.
    Z30?????

The price point for the Classic is a joke and if you disagree you need to take off your blinders.
    Or...YOU need to take off yours. Because that's PURELY a subjective statement. If the people interested in the only phone in existence that gives them the feel of their beloved BB of the past, but with the modern advantages of today, and know they have only one choice for this, they may not really care if it's $50 on contract as opposed to free on contract. To them, that $50 premium is completely worth having their life changed each and every day.

And, do you think that simply lowering the price, say $100, is going to make all of those people you describe in the paragraph above suddenly go "hey, there's cheap BlackBerry that isn't good for media consumption and doesn't have an amazing camera....I think I'll buy it"? Of course not.

If BB has to account for software costs that is their problem not mine and part of a business model problem.
    BB has to account for the fact that they need to sell phones and define their market and get them used to paying a bit more for something different. So far, with their limited run of phones.....they've had NO problem doing that.

I currently use a galaxy S3 off contract from Verizon hoping for a Blackberry to come out that I can use. I really don't want to go back to Samsung because of bloat but when the new S6 comes out it'll once again put BB behind 3 years at least.
    Soooo.......you just described the reason why BB might be able to charge a premium over the "bloat" of Samsung. Maybe the problem is just you. BB can't please everyone, especially those only looking for cheapness.

Just curious, how will the S6.....specifically.....put BB behind by "3 years at least"? Will they come out with a new way to blink twice at your phone to wake the screen or some other gimmick? Will they put in 16 cores that you don't need to make a phone call and post a picture? Will it be the size of an encyclopedia? Please, tell what the "next big thing" is. I really need to know.
    DeliFresser likes this.
    01-03-15 07:47 AM
    Apple phones are a must have item for the herd mentally, people who want to queue up all week to be the first to own a phone shows its not about owning the best phone. It's a status thing an image some people need and want for reasons they don't even understand themselves. Is a Volkswagon better than a Ferrari because you see more of them on the road? Apple have created a monster by clever advertising and marketing and by having very little competition for a long time, while BlackBerry lost their way. Now Jacky Chan is in charge watch BlackBerry go back to the top where they should be. But I don't think any one phone will suite everyone. But from day one for some unknown reason to me I've always had a BlackBerry and always will, no matter how many iPhone's I have seen in my family!

Chris. London UK
    01-03-15 08:17 AM
    I don't know what the next big thing is but I think the curved screen is a big start. At least Samsung is innovating, I hope BB sticks with the square and upgrades it.

You can argue about the Classic all you want but the price is high for a small screen and outdated specs...why should a physical keyboard require a premium price? I'm not looking for cheapness but 450 for this?

The Classic is geared towards maybe .01% of the population and I don't see how that brings BB back to legitimacy unless you are a poster on Crackberry.

I understand BB can't please everyone but they aren't pleasing many right now. If they want to grow they need to appeal to people like myself and not die hards who will buy anything BB.

I'm not going to go back and forth about a phone that is outdated on the day of release... Was just hoping for more from them.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 08:27 AM
    When I went to Verizon Wireless about 3 days ago looking to see if they carried Passport's, the Representative basically said the 3 things you mentioned. Then she tried to tell me getting an iphone 6 would be better..
    Why are you even going to Verizon store asking a sales rep about new Blackberry devices in the first place? There is better information on Crackberry, then what the Verizon reps would know. There has been no passport version that has passed the FCC that has Verizon cdma bands and thus will be no Passport coming to Verizon until that happens. I am willing to think that Verizon will not care the Passport, just like AT & T did not carry the Z30. Once Verizon sells out existing inventory of Z10s and Q10s, it would not surprise me to see Verizon carry the Passport 2 as long as the Classic sells well. Verizon is more likely not willing to take chances on new Blackberry devices that don't have a history of doing good sell numbers because of them getting burned with having Z10 and Q10 inventory that they are finding hard to sell.
    01-03-15 08:49 AM
    My wife wanted a keyboard Phone and I order it ,but it didn't arrived and now she cancel it. I ask here why and see really says it's to expensive to buy a downgrade in specs and she wanted to wait till it drops around 300 euro.

I ask her how she knows about the specs and she told me people at her office where checking the Phone last Friday and told here to wait because they saying it was overpriced at the moment. She like bargains and groupon, etc . I understand here it's the price and if you save some you can spend some.

I think that is what gsmarena also think. It;s good hardware but not spectatulair and the body is great and the OS is good but the price (and most reviews are touchscreen user) for a qwerty ? I don't think so.

For me it works out great with the Passport . I was used to use touchpad phone's for at least 8 years but after a few days a started to like the keyboard and the model of the Phone. I had my doubt but there are al gone and BlackBerry OS 10.3.1 works great.

edit: She useing a Z30 now and before a bold and she also has a iPhone 5 from work but that one she brings back because she don't like the homebutton and touchscreen keyboard. She also likes the hub but she really want something like here bold... so nothing negative here and YES other phones like samsung and iPhone are over the top if you think about palm, hp or even a notebook with 17 inch and keyboard is much cheaper that a iPhone and cost more to build. crazy or not ?
    Last edited by whatsever; 01-03-15 at 09:18 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 08:53 AM
    I don't know what the next big thing is but I think the curved screen is a big start. At least Samsung is innovating, I hope BB sticks with the square and upgrades it.
    Soooo.....they are just "innovating" for innovation sake. You just made my point. Too bad they couldn't innovate a way to organize all my messages on a device who's primary purpose is to communicate.

You can argue about the Classic all you want but the price is high for a small screen and outdated specs...why should a physical keyboard require a premium price?
    That is purely your opinion that YOU can argue all YOU want. It's not the PKB, the classic has something else. Did you forget that part?

I'm not looking for cheapness but 450 for this?.
    See, I could say the exact same thing about whatever phone YOU think is worth whatever money YOU will pay for it. ($XXX for a Samsung....for this?)

The Classic is geared towards maybe .01% of the population.
    Ah........and here it comes. Perhaps you and another guy over in another classic thread are the same person. The pointless speculative based argument that it's not for every person on the planet.

and I don't see how that brings BB back to legitimacy unless you are a poster on Crackberry. .
    Perhaps you don't see how it brings BB back to legitimacy because IT WASN'T DESIGNED TO DO THAT. FFS.

I understand BB can't please everyone but they aren't pleasing many right now.
    Except for all the people that bought every single phone they just manufactured and are back-ordering.

If they want to grow they need to appeal to people like myself and not die hards who will buy anything BB.
    People like yourself that want super specs to....well....I'm not sure why you want them.....so you can do some sort of non-productive type activities on your glass screen. There's already a very crowded marketplace catering to you. And, you forget that Apple has made a nice little business of catering to die hards that will buy anything apple. That's not always a bad thing.

I'm not going to go back and forth about a phone that is outdated on the day of release... \
    And yet you continue to try. Not everyone....in fact the vast majority of people have no idea what the specs are in their phone or consider something outdated because of some meaningless number that doesn't take into the variables of the software it interacts with.

Was just hoping for more from them.
    Sounds like you were hoping for higher specs, and that's it. For that, you have the Passport, or just wait for the next phone.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 01-03-15 at 09:07 AM.
    Vintage123 and Happystyle like this.
    01-03-15 08:55 AM
    My wife wanted a keyboard Phone and I order it ,but it didn't arrived and now she cancel it. I ask here why and see really says it's to expensive to buy a downgrade in specs and she wanted to wait till it drops around 250 euro. I ask her how she knows about the specs and she told me people at her office where checking the Phone last Friday and told here to wait because they saying it was overpriced at the moment. She like bargains and groupon . I understand here it's the price and if you save some you can spend some.
    That story PERFECTLY illustrates the point I've been making with others about this ridiculous "specs" argument. Your wife didn't care about, and didn't know about, specs. She wanted a keyboard phone and was willing to pay for it so she ordered it. Only when others convinced her of something that she didn't really care about to begin with and didn't have a chance to actually see if it made any difference, did she change her mind.
    Vintage123 and gnirkatto like this.
    01-03-15 08:58 AM
    From my understanding Chen was basing his views on toolbelt based on the feedback he got from some enterprise users, who more than likely have BES licenses and a good number of blackberry devices. Remember Chen personally visited these folks. So, the classic is a product of giving people what they want given that the Q10 was a failure in getting existing BBOS users to upgrade in large numbers. If the classic out sell the Q10 and/or achieves the goal of getting BBOS users to upgrade to a BB10 device then I would say Classic can be label as a success. Right now I imagine that Chen is trying to get a stable product portfolio, so that then they can work on other improvements.

The best information about planning future blackberry devices is information that most people don't have access to, which is the actual sells numbers of each Blackberry 10 device. What reviews and others seem not to get is that Blackberry does not have to sell the same numbers as Apples and others. They only have to sell enough devices that allows them operating the hardware division at a profit and provide their customers will the experience they are looking for.
    Xenolock and Amy wineBerry like this.
    01-03-15 09:04 AM
    Finally upgrading to the classic from a BB Torch 9810 (my second), a phone that only needs a spec/OS upgrade, otherwise perfect for my needs. I have tried the passport, my only complaint was no toolbelt and they messed with the original keyboard layout for no reason other than to fit it on the new form factor. That said, although the passport wasn't for me I do give them accolades for at LEAST trying something NEW, innovative....

It's like the old NASA saying, "Faster, Better, Cheaper... Pick two." In this case, it my opinion Blackberry elected Better and Cheaper for the classic, where the passport is Faster and Better.

Most phone users are used to justifying unnecessary annual upgrades by seeing higher numbers (they seldom understand) to satisfy their 'Ooh shiny' complex. The devices and software themselves are unremarkable except if you think about how much they add to the landfills. $700 devices shouldn't shatter when you drop them because everyone including the manufacturer knows you will at some point.

Consumer gadgets and the users they attract don't care so much for innovation, utility, security or build quality. They don't need their devices to last because they will lose interest by the time the next one comes out. For that reason the manufacturers of phones they buy have to tell their audience what they like and why they like it (usually marginal spec and size differences), and the herd continue to buy it justifying that model... FOLLOWERS.

Blackberry is different, they tried the consumer approach and diehards like me (that didn't realize they were diehards until they tried to get work done on the alternatives) knew what they wanted. Instead of accepting inferior products they asked for it, got it and now more people are seeing the light.... LEADERS.

P.S. Peer pressure is something most well adjusted people grapple with early in adolescence, it's not healthy to require validation your entire life. You may have a social media addiction problem if you do.

P.P.S. I do see the temptation for the Apple & Android fanbois to come troll here, circle-jerking their one dimensional views in the vacuum of their own forums must get awfully boring.
    01-03-15 09:08 AM
    That story PERFECTLY illustrates the point I've been making with others about this ridiculous "specs" argument. Your wife didn't care about, and didn't know about, specs. She wanted a keyboard phone and was willing to pay for it so she ordered it. Only when others convinced her of something that she didn't really care about to begin with and didn't have a chance to actually see if it made any difference, did she change her mind.
    Actually no.
    This is a typical case of an uninformed consumer getting the needed information to make a conscious buying decision.

The co-workers knew something about the phone,m she didn't and were friendly enough to tell her that she would grossly overpay for those specs.

Which is directly linked to the price/performance ratio. A ratio where basically nobody is worse than BlackBerry.
    anon(832122) likes this.
    01-03-15 09:09 AM
    The point being the phone is overpriced and circa 2009.�..I'm sorry you get so defensive over BB but you are not who BB needs to win to survive they already have you. They need me and the guy's wife which they did not get initially with the Classic. For $250 or maybe 300 I'd leave Verizon and try it but I can also shell out 300 for a Note 4... Put the two side by side and ask an average person walking in the mall which phone they want...this is who they need to win.

I don't know the relationship between BB and US carriers but it is a shame the Passport is not on display next to the Note 4 or IPhone.... I just don't see how BB gets market share with the Classic.....I'd love to know how many Classic sales are new to BB or just upgrades.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 09:14 AM
    Actually no.
    This is a typical case of an uninformed consumer getting the needed information to make a conscious buying decision. .
    You could say that EXACT SAME THING about anyone buying an iphone not realizing all the things they are getting screwed on or are not getting by not buying some other phone.

The only information she "needed" was that it has a keyboard and she wanted a keyboard. Only when her "friends" scared her out of it by filling her head with information she doens't understand did she cancel the order. I'd be willing to bet if her "friends" told her this AFTER she had the device, she would most likely have said "seems to run fine and I love this keyboard".

The co-workers knew something about the phone,m she didn't and were friendly enough to tell her that she would grossly overpay for those specs.

Ha, that's funny. I know something about the Iphone that people who grossly overpay for those don't know. Perhaps they should send them back.

Which is directly linked to the price/performance ratio. A ratio where basically nobody is worse than BlackBerry.
    Performance.......of what? Of typing on a keyboard? In that case, nobody is BETTER than BlackBerry.

You can talk in circles all day if you'd like, you're still saying the same thing over and over and over. That the only thing anyone should ever choose their phone on is how many cycles the processor makes per second.
    01-03-15 09:15 AM
    Actually no.
    This is a typical case of an uninformed consumer getting the needed information to make a conscious buying decision.

She was "uninformed" because the specs never mattered to her to begin with! If you asked her why they matter now, she couldn't tell you other than her coworkers said the phone was overpriced & she likes a bargain. When something matters to you, you take the time & research it. If it doesn't you rely on others to tell you what's best. Sheeple.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-03-15 09:18 AM
    I don't know about it being circa 2009, but what I do know...

The folks who don't care or pay attention to the Classic's specs now, will care when it's EOL is years shorter than the Passport, possibly even the Z30.

Lotta bloviating and accusations going on here. I don't want to put the thread on ice, but it's getting tempting.
    01-03-15 09:20 AM
    You can talk in circles all day if you'd like, you're still saying the same thing over and over and over.
    Umm hmmmmm
    01-03-15 09:22 AM
    You could say that EXACT SAME THING about anyone buying an iphone not realizing all the things they are getting screwed on or are not getting by not buying some other phone.

The only information she "needed" was that it has a keyboard and she wanted a keyboard. Only when her "friends" scared her out of it by filling her head with information she doens't understand did she cancel the order. I'd be willing to bet if her "friends" told her this AFTER she had the device, she would most likely have said "seems to run fine and I love this keyboard".
    Could you even imagine? I'm so glad I have a brain & make it a point to make my OWN informed decisions.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:22 AM
    The point being the phone is overpriced and circa 2009.…...
    And now.....the loss of credibility stage. The phone has the same specs of the previous BB10 devices running the same software, that came out in........2013. Exaggerate much?

TI'm sorry you get so defensive over BB
    This is known as the attack stage. Maybe it's you who gets so offensive.

but you are not who BB needs to win to survive they already have you.
    Makes no sense. If they already have me it's because I choose what they sell. Clearly they want to KEEP me. That is exactly what Chen said when introducing this device. You might as well have said "Apple doesn't need to make another slight;y different I-device because they aleady have people who bought those." See how silly that sounds?

They need me and the guy's wife which they did not get initially with the Classic..
    EXACTLY. They GOT the guys wife until people like you talked her out of it based on things she most likely would never have cared about even after getting the phone.

For $250 or maybe 300 I'd leave Verizon and try it but I can also shell out 300 for a Note 4...
    So............wait. You think the Classic is for the average person waling in the mall? Now I know where your confusion has originated.

..this is who they need to win..
    to win WHAT?

I don't know the relationship between BB and US carriers but it is a shame the Passport is not on display next to the Note 4 or IPhone.... I just don't see how BB gets market share with the Classic.....I'd love to know how many Classic sales are new to BB or just upgrades.
    What difference does it make? A SALE IS A SALE. If a guy buys a Ford Truck, then buys another one 5 years later (an upgrade) didn't Ford still sell a truck?
    Amy wineBerry and sk8er_tor like this.
    01-03-15 09:23 AM
    Pure marketing bullsh1t to hide the fact that the Classic has no competitive specs. It's quite easy to pretend huge proceedings when comparing a new phone to another one that is nearly 4 years old...
    It is not marketing bs because there is no point in upping the cost of the device by putting better specs in the phone, when in reality you don't know how well the device is going to sell. I imagine that Chen and Blackberry have high hopes for the Classic, but at the same time you don't want to put yourself in a hole or back yourself in a corner like they did with the Q10. The Classic 1 is the first step in a much longer process and my view is that the Classic was built to get a certain price point and profit margin on a per device basis. Since the Classic has the same specs as the Q10, then this gives Blackberry a direct comparison on helping them to decide where they need to go for the upgrade device for the Classic/Q10. If the Classic outsells the Q10 in overall numbers, then the debate about what the device is what is the feature of the classic keyboard blackberry device is over and Blackberry will know what model of the device that they need to focus on and thus can work on upgrading the specs for the follow up device of that model.

This I my hope that Blackberry is playing chess not checkers, as they are doing moves now that are a setup for better things to come down the line. Only time will tell if my faith in Blackberry and Chen is correct. I am keyboard and toolbelt person, so the first generation classic will be fine for me coming from a curve BBOS device. If there is a Classic 2 in the pipeline, my hope that it at the very least has Passport 1 specs if it release a year from now.
    Alain_A likes this.
    01-03-15 09:24 AM
    Most of these Classic phones are going to be purchased by huge corporate businesses for their employees. They will gladly spend the money for the functionality and SECURITY those higher spec phones can't provide...

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    01-03-15 09:25 AM
181 12345 ...