I'm pretty sure that the question is asked already (but I didn?t see the question nor the answer). When you enter text (in a mail, in a note, in an entry field) can you use the trackpad to navigate the cursor position?
    I understood that with alt (or shift??) + trackpad, you can mark the text.

And regarding the bottom icons (left/right): they are hardcoded to the Hub and the camera and not configurable, right?
    VeryBumpy and Xenolock like this.
    10-17-14 07:47 AM
    Ruslan

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 09:15 AM
    loll they are stainless steel a simple google search would reveal that. maybe the grey is painted on but i can assure you the entire frame plus the frets are stainless steel.
    I just did the sacrificial test on this because I was sure you were wrong and guess what? you are wrong, the frets are plastic and coated with a real nice compound that looks like metal. I took this photo with my Q5, clearly shows the scratch that I made with a tiny screwdriver.
    Got my paws on the BlackBerry Classic (HQ photos, Q&A)-img_20141017_135310.jpg
    10-17-14 01:01 PM
    I do not have another device to easily take a picture and post it at the moment. But I just pushed the top fret downward (as in toward the bottom of the device, not inward) in the very middle with my nail an it flexes just like plastic does. If it were stainless steel, it wouldn't flex as it does.

Other than posts from other users, there is absolutely no verifiable information out there that states the frets are either stainless steel or plastic. And as I stated above, I just flexed the top fret and it flexes as if we're plastic; so I'm quite sure the frets are plastic just like the bottom of the bezel is plastic and not stainless steel. In fact the only fret that is specifically stated to be stainless steel is the fret along the back, which is rock solid and doesn't flex, nor does it turn black when scratched.

If you have any verifiable information that proves me wrong, then post it; otherwise keep your opinions as opinions and do not post them as facts.

Posted via CB10
    I just scratched the silver paint off a fret on my brand new Q10, it is plastic... Now I have to live with a tiny scratch... I posted a picture in another response.
    Ruslan Botsyurko and sam_tek like this.
    10-17-14 01:07 PM
    I just did the sacrificial test on this because I was sure you were wrong and guess what? you are wrong, the frets are plastic and coated with a real nice compound that looks like metal. I took this photo with my Q5, clearly shows the scratch that I made with a tiny screwdriver.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141017_135310.jpg 
Views:	1248 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	306754
    Hey hey, no need to do that to your Q10, look above to my conversation with the person who suggested they are plastic, we have come to the conclusion that they are plastic...

Poor Q10, how could you??!? Lol

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    CpE CKS and Bbnivende like this.
    10-17-14 01:08 PM
    Hey hey, no need to do that to your Q10, look above to my conversation with the person who suggested they are plastic, we have come to the conclusion that they are plastic...

Poor Q10, how could you??!? Lol

Took one for the team... Luckily, my eyesight is such I will never notice the scratch. Much like I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 HD.
    10-17-14 01:13 PM
    I just scratched the silver paint off a fret on my brand new Q10, it is plastic... Now I have to live with a tiny scratch... I posted a picture in another response.
    No biggie, the frets are part of the keyboard assembly, we can always buy replacement keyboards later on and replace them, making the fret look brand new all over again.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:42 PM
    Took one for the team... Luckily, my eyesight is such I will never notice the scratch. Much like I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 HD.
    The difference between 720p and 1080 is only apparent on monitors/TV's 42 inches or larger.
    mikegcox likes this.
    10-17-14 01:46 PM
    Cut/Paste is similar to all the other BB10 devices, except you can use shift+trackpad to select text.
    Awesome!! This is the biggest failing of BB10 on the Q10 IMHO. Selecting text for copy/paste is tough on the Q's smaller screen. I got used to gestures and didn't think I'd ever need or want the trackpad, but after struggling with copy/paste I'm happy to see the return of the tool belt.
    10-17-14 02:07 PM
    Awesome!! This is the biggest failing of BB10 on the Q10 IMHO. Selecting text for copy/paste is tough on the Q's smaller screen. I got used to gestures and didn't think I'd ever need or want the trackpad, but after struggling with copy/paste I'm happy to see the return of the tool belt.
    Once you place your cursor, you can hold shift and slide your finger across the screen on trackpadless BB10 devices. You know that, right?
    RealGrouchy likes this.
    10-17-14 02:25 PM
    Once you place your cursor
    But that's always a struggle, especially when you want to place the cursor close to the screen edge or in a input field which contains more text than can be shown at once on the screen.
    10-17-14 02:34 PM
    [When you enter text (in a mail, in a note, in an entry field) can you use the trackpad to navigate the cursor position?
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. Please, pretty please with sugar on top?

Just another Q10 user trying to find a sensible reason to 'upgrade' to the Classic... And no, the Passport is not an alternative for me as the size and especially the sharp corners makes it extremely uncomfortable for everyday use.

As a side note, in your personal opinion, do you really think the Classic is a justifiable upgrade for Q10 users? I used to think so, but with the rumoured specs, it hardly seems worth it, unfortunately. I really don't understand what BlackBerry were thinking here (assuming the rumoured specs are true). Why on earth aren't they coming up with decent upgrade choices for existing Q10 and Z10 users..?
    10-17-14 02:37 PM
    If I am totally honest, I am a bit disappointed with the classic. I was hoping the device that will be used to bring over BB customers from legacy devices like Bold would have some legacy features that still have not made it to the BB10 platform.

Also I was hoping the functionality of the toolbelt would work the same as a legacy device, which it does not seem to be the case...

I also would like to thank Ruslan for answering so many questions, they have been very informative. I just have one question at the moment:

* Are there any differences in setting options/functions on the Classic compared to the Passport?
    George_B and Ruslan Botsyurko like this.
    10-17-14 02:43 PM
    How exciting for your paws!

Thanks for your generosity of time, answering questions about your experience using the Classic.

I'm going crazy, when editing long portions of text on the Z30 touchscreen, experiencing the time-consuming imprecise text selection of long sections of text when using touch method of selecting text on the Z30. My productivitiy (the whole reason I use a Blackberry) being reduced because it this.

Do you find text selection to be more precise with the Classic (than on touchscreen only devices), and is the cursor more easily, more precisely placed on the Classic, (making editing less time-consuming than it is on the touchscreen only devices -like Z30, for example?)

Maybe it is just me, (and the touchpad learning curve), but I find that precise text selection on the touchscreen of Z30 to be so randomly "hit and miss" (with multiple attempts at selecting needed to get the correct text selected on touchscreen. (I haven't upgraded to 10.3 yet, and maybe doing so will help with editing precisely on Z30)

But I really am looking forward to the Classic (with the keypad/trackpad/toolbelt/ trackpad for easier, more productive/less time-consuming editing.)

So, my main question is:
    Am I correct in assuming that the Classic will be better at this, especially more precise in text selection?

I look forward to the return of the toolbelt, (especially for more precise text selection (in addition to other toolbelt benefits.)

Hoping I can afford it when it comes to US, and hoping it will be available on Verizon ( with Verizon having different bands than other carriers.)

US members:
    Has an approximate US price been predicted yet for the Classic? and expected availability ETA in US?
    And does anyone know if it will be able to be used on Verizon (with the different bands needed for Verizon?
    Last edited by Judyam; 10-17-14 at 03:04 PM.
    10-17-14 02:45 PM
    I really don't understand what BlackBerry were thinking here (assuming the rumoured specs are true). Why on earth aren't they coming up with decent upgrade choices for existing Q10 and Z10 users..?
    I think the Classic is Blackberry's attempt to lure more of the legacy BB users to BB10. There isn't that many Q10/Z10 users out there...
    10-17-14 02:45 PM
    How exciting for your paws!

Thanks for your generosity of time, answering questions about your experience using the Classic.

I'm going crazy, when editing long portions of text on the Z30 touchscreen, experiencing the time-consuming imprecise text selection of long sections of text when using touch method of selecting text on the Z30. My productivitiy (the whole reason I use a Blackberry) being reduced because it this.

Do you find text selection to be more precise with the Classic (than on touchscreen only devices), and is the cursor more easily, more precisely placed on the Classic, (making editing less time-consuming than it is on the touchscreen only devices -like Z30, for example?)

Maybe it is just me, (and the touchpad learning curve), but I find that precise text selection on the touchscreen of Z30 to be so randomly "hit and miss" (with multiple attempts at selecting needed to get the correct text selected on touchscreen. (I haven't upgraded to 10.3 yet, and maybe doing so will help with editing precisely on Z30)

But I really am looking forward to the Classic (with the keypad/trackpad/toolbelt/ trackpad for easier, more productive/less time-consuming editing.)

So, my main question is:
    Am I correct in assuming that the Classic will be better at this, especially more precise in text selection?

I look forward to the return of the toolbelt, (especially for more precise text selection (in addition to other toolbelt benefits.)

Hoping I can afford it when it comes to US, and hoping it will be available on Verizon ( with Verizon having different bands than other carriers.)

US members:
    Has an approximate US price been predicted yet for the Classic? and expected availability ETA in US?
    And does anyone know if it will be able to be used on Verizon (with the different bands needed for Verizon?
    Leaked model numbers point to a Verizon version but no date or price confirmed yet.
    10-17-14 03:16 PM
    But that's always a struggle, especially when you want to place the cursor close to the screen edge or in a input field which contains more text than can be shown at once on the screen.
    Damn, I must have superpowers of some sort, because I always get it on the first try.
    10-17-14 04:45 PM
    If I am totally honest, I am a bit disappointed with the classic. I was hoping the device that will be used to bring over BB customers from legacy devices like Bold would have some legacy features that still have not made it to the BB10 platform.

Also I was hoping the functionality of the toolbelt would work the same as a legacy device, which it does not seem to be the case...

I also would like to thank Ruslan for answering so many questions, they have been very informative. I just have one question at the moment:

* Are there any differences in setting options/functions on the Classic compared to the Passport?
    Yes there are many differences, the classic comes with 10.3.1 the passport is 10.3

I don't know if you have been following the 10.3.1 leak news at all, but that software version brings back several more features from BBOS (not all). (See IdSteve, I can be reasonable )

basically unlimited shortcuts, mappable to either speed dial, or an app, or another function by long pressing a button.

as in q for silent k for lock I put the calculator on d. but you still have universal search, just by typing...that is one feature improvement, we used to have one or the other.

Notifications have gotten way more robust on your selections, although I guess there still aren't holster specific settings yet.
    idssteve and Ruslan Botsyurko like this.
    10-17-14 05:03 PM
    Damn, I must have superpowers of some sort, because I always get it on the first try.
    Yep, you must have superpowers.

Xenolock likes this.
    10-17-14 05:19 PM
    Wow, amazing thanks for the pics. The device is very good looking.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:42 PM
    You have paws?!#$!$$?

Via Z10
    10-17-14 06:19 PM
    Once you place your cursor, you can hold shift and slide your finger across the screen on trackpadless BB10 devices. You know that, right?
    Of course. But a fat finger is not as precise as a trackpad/cursor. Maybe I'm clumsy, maybe I'm over-caffinated, but I often end up losing the last character or two I want to copy or I get a couple extra characters from the next sentence.
    Last edited by rambo47; 10-17-14 at 10:44 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-17-14 09:09 PM
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. Please, pretty please with sugar on top?

Just another Q10 user trying to find a sensible reason to 'upgrade' to the Classic... And no, the Passport is not an alternative for me as the size and especially the sharp corners makes it extremely uncomfortable for everyday use.

As a side note, in your personal opinion, do you really think the Classic is a justifiable upgrade for Q10 users? I used to think so, but with the rumoured specs, it hardly seems worth it, unfortunately. I really don't understand what BlackBerry were thinking here (assuming the rumoured specs are true). Why on earth aren't they coming up with decent upgrade choices for existing Q10 and Z10 users..?
    I use copy/paste a lot, and this is still not enough of a reason by itself to upgrade from my Q10. The larger screen is also an "upgrade" but until I see it live, I don't know if this is enough to upgrade from my Q10. With the faster processor, *maybe* a better battery, larger screen, trackpad, etc., the Classic might barely be a worthwhile upgrade for me.
    10-17-14 09:14 PM
    I REALLY wanted the Passport, but it's looking more and more like it won't come to Verizon. So I'm looking at the Classic and hoping against hope that it's also a killer device. And just maybe the overall dimensions of the Classic will be ergonomically superior to the Passport, enough so that the Classic will be a "must have" device.
    10-17-14 09:21 PM
    Any news on the Classic for AT&T? I will no doubt be getting the classic!

Loved my Q10 and bold 9900, just wish they had a baby.....hence the Classic....bam!
    10-17-14 10:41 PM
391 ... 56789 ...