It really wouldn't. Most battery is used by the screen, and radio. That's why if you go on airplane mode your phone can last many days.
    This would be my only reason for turning it off.

There are times as work when I would need my phone for hours for only communication and no browsing etc.

If, and only if there was a significant battery savings and only if it was easy to turn off and back on, I would sometimes disable the touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 07:42 AM
    [QUOTE=greenberry666;11049609]For me these devices are primarily small computers. I like the phone part being a bit buried, with document features up front and communication mainly through "chat apps". Having said that, people on this thread have made the solid "end call" button sound attractive.

Z30 STA 100-2[/QUOTE

Small computers are what they are. Do you notice any laptops or deskto with touch screen keyboards? No because nothing beats the precision of a track pad and in the sense of the classic a tangible belt of buttons that when you press you know 100% certain they end an action just like on your desktop/laptop when you hit backspace you know exactly what's gonna happen. The only thing that happens on a touchscreen is a potential for a misclick and a smudge on the screen (don't get me wrong I like touch screen too, I have a bold 9900)

I think the touchscreen keyboard combination is best because it's like having a car that has automatic and manual. Auto will get you through the gears no problem but if you reall want that precise control and accuracy then you have the keys and the track pad.
    11-07-14 02:32 PM
    I know there's been huge discussion in regards to the Passport vs Classic, but here is the BIG thing which I'm not hearing nor seeing discussed about.. That is, the "one-handed use" you get from the Classic vs Passport. The Passport is for two handed uses generally with getting one-handed use by a struggle and the Classic gives you that Classic "one-handed' use. With that factor, the Classic is ur choice if u want truly one-handed use. Why hasnt that been mentioned by anyone??
    lactose likes this.
    11-08-14 03:11 AM
    The screen looks amazing, probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Classic and Passport (except for the size of course). But side to side the Q10 display looks like crap compared to Classic, which is much crisper, has more natural colours and the backlight is stronger on max settings.
    Otherwise I tried to squash the device in my hands and didn't hear any cracks or odd sounds, it just feels very solid including the keyboard, but as far as I've read the problems on Q10 occured after a longer period of everyday use, so hopefully BlackBerry fixed that.
    Can you tell me if I can change the brightness or if autobrightness is always on like on the q10?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 03:42 AM
    I know there's been huge discussion in regards to the Passport vs Classic, but here is the BIG thing which I'm not hearing nor seeing discussed about.. That is, the "one-handed use" you get from the Classic vs Passport. The Passport is for two handed uses generally with getting one-handed use by a struggle and the Classic gives you that Classic "one-handed' use. With that factor, the Classic is ur choice if u want truly one-handed use. Why hasnt that been mentioned by anyone??
    Oh yes it was mentioned, in a couple of threads.
    I'm sure this will be a decisive criteria for some - at least for me it will be. As much as I love my PP after some weeks of using it, I still miss one handed use, actually quite often.
    Marlon06 likes this.
    11-08-14 04:50 AM
    Oh yes it was mentioned, in a couple of threads.
    I'm sure this will be a decisive criteria for some - at least for me it will be. As much as I love my PP after some weeks of using it, I still miss one handed use, actually quite often.
    Yah, it's pretty much the number 1 issue brought up about the Passport. I wonder if he's been living under a rock...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-08-14 01:20 PM
    Just watched the video and it worked fine for me when I clicked on the link, maybe it's territory restricted?

I have a question for the miss who has the Classic, now that you have used the Classic for a little while. Do you feel the Q10 / Q5 screen is too small? Or do you think they are the same size and wouldn't notice much difference?

The reason for me asking is, I have a Q5 but I prefer to get a "bigger" screen for my next device. But if the screen size isn't noticeably bigger then ill go for the passport

Look forward to hearing from you.
    The Q10 screen is definitely smaller and you can notice it when you hold both devices side by side . There's my comparison photo floating around the thread, check it out

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ruslan Botsyurko; 11-08-14 at 09:13 PM.
    11-08-14 08:49 PM
    So does the tool belt actually matter? How often do you see yourself using it?

I'm late for the thread but hopefully this gets answered!
    You have to switch your brain back to the Bold mode, I couldn't get myself using it at first. It is useful when you realize it's there and start integrating it into your flow, but still for me personally it's not that much of a deal as the Passport innovations. Some of you might hate that Classic got in my hands and not to someone who might appreciate it more, but I'm that kind of person who likes to go forward and never look back, so I didn't really get excited about the whole classic concept. But it's just my opinion, I'm glad to see how many of you are enthusiastic about the Classic and I hope the sales will go well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ruslan Botsyurko; 11-08-14 at 09:06 PM.
    11-08-14 08:54 PM
    What does the BlackBerry/Menu button do when you are just on the home screen? - It seems to me it would be an intuitive idea for it to just jump straight to The Hub?
    It opens the quicklaunch menu (same if you make a gesture from top bezel), but you have an extra BlackBerry Hub software button above it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:57 PM
    Surprising! I expected the image to be blurrier as the screen res is the same as the Q10 though it's bigger?

Posted via CB10
    It seemed sharper, but it might be because of the different technology or because my friend had a screen protector on his Q10 (I don't own one). But we both agreed that the screen looks better.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:01 PM
    I re-uploaded to Vimeo, hopefully this works.
    Ruslan: Please tell me if you'd like me to take it down, I don't want to steal page views from you.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=bFCBVZt4
    Of course I DON'T mind and thanks for reuploading it. The video got blocked in some countries by YouTube, I didn't restrict it on purpose. I'm really sorry I couldn't make a better video, I was in a hurry, because I thought I have 3 more hours to make more photos and a video of the Classic, but my contact called me earlier, so I grabbed a Passport and at least made this short crappy video to show the behaviour of the toolbelt and the trackpad on the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:11 PM
    Can you tell me if I can change the brightness or if autobrightness is always on like on the q10?

Posted via CB10
    It's software-related, so nothing special on the Classic. Brightness control is the same as on all the other BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:15 PM
    You have to switch your brain back to the Bold mode, I couldn't get myself using it at first. It is useful when you realize it's there and start integrating it into your flow, but still for me personally it's not that much of a deal as the Passport innovations. Some of you might hate that Classic got in my hands and not to someone who might appreciate it more, but I'm that kind of person who likes to go forward and never look back, so I didn't really get excited about the whole classic concept. But it's just my opinion, I'm glad to see how many of you are enthusiastic about the Classic and I hope the sales will go well.

Posted via CB10
    No offense, but I never believe in that arbitrary direction in technology that people like to assign to things. As Ford has discovered with trying to replace the normal physical controls with touchscreen controls, just because it is newer doesn't mean it is better for everything. That's why they are going back to physical control for things like a/c where they tried integrating the controls in the in-dash infotainment center...

Same thing in terms of this. Sure you can make virtual answer and end call buttons, but there's no way around it, where a button allows you to end a call for sure without having to look at the phone, the same cannot be said for the virtual button...

sam_tek and JGoodard like this.
    11-08-14 09:21 PM
    No offense, but I never believe in that arbitrary direction in technology that people like to assign to things. As Ford has discovered with trying to replace the normal physical controls with touchscreen controls, just because it is newer doesn't mean it is better for everything. That's why they are going back to physical control for things like a/c where they tried integrating the controls in the in-dash infotainment center...

Same thing in terms of this. Sure you can make virtual answer and end call buttons, but there's no way around it, where a button allows you to end a call for sure without having to look at the phone, the same cannot be said for the virtual button...

Completely agree with the Slagman! Just because something newer has come, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. And going with something thats older (but obviously that works for you) isn't necessarily "going back".

Personally, I am open to tech in general. I've had the 1st iphone before others had it, had the htc One, Samsungs (S, S2) and even the gigantic (for it's time) Note, Nexus, Q10 and even the Passport. Had the Surface Pro 3 as my laptop as well. Keen on the Moto 360 but putting off to the lack of features at this time, not to mention the frequency at which I'd need to recharge the battery. Like the Amazon Echo concept (although nothing new as the Moto X 2014 does most of it); And I am always open to try and see how tech can help me personally - notwithstanding what others might think.

But, when it comes to a communication device, nothing screams comfort to me at this time than the Classic. Really looking forward to it! (Not backward - )

Posted via CB10
    Ruslan, I'll be honest and you are right to an extent. I did wish at times through this thread that the Classic been reviewed by someone who could relate to its 'soul' better (oh boy! did I just sound like Kimmie K !?) Having said that, I'm glad that you were honest to yourself and the rest, and I love that about your views. But here's the thing - despite you taking an unbiased look, there's so much good going for the Classic throughout this thread. And I'm thoroughly excited in anticipation. Thanks again for such an awesome thread!
    11-09-14 12:27 AM
    I agree. Even if the Classic is a total bust, I'll still gladly use mine everyday as my main phone. Since day 1, I've always wanted my Bold 9900 and my Q10 to have a baby.....and we are getting it in the form of a Classic!

I also watched the video and was quite impressed how fast and snappy the OS system was. The trackpad also worked exactly how I'd had hoped. Gonna be a great phone and only going to get better with updates, accessories, etc....

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 12:51 AM
    great screenshots,
    11-09-14 01:23 AM
    So is the classic a non touchscreen device or can it be used in combination with the traackball?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 02:32 AM

None taken I never said it's BETTER, just that I got used to the touchscreen the same way as I fell in love with the capacitive keyboard on Passport. I enjoyed the toolbelt back in the days when I was using my Bold 9700 and 9900. It's always about priorities and the way every person uses their smartphone. I think resurrecting the tool belt on Classic was a very clever move from BlackBerry as many users were holding back from buying a Q10 because of its absence. I used to prefer physical buttons on all of my smartphones before Z10, I've been using a legendary HTC Universal, then an Xperia X1, loved the X2 also and when I saw that WinMo is going down and deciding where to go next I was hesitating between an iPhone 4, which was the first and the last iPhone which I liked by design, and a BlackBerry 9700. I chose BlackBerry because of the keyboard, the toolbelt and the trackpad. So I totally get your point. But after owning a Z10 for almost 2 years and having tried both the Passport and the Classic, I decided to let go of the toolbelt because I preferred the big screen of Passport, the modern design and its innovative keyboard. It's just my personal preference

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:32 AM
    So is the classic a non touchscreen device or can it be used in combination with the traackball?

Posted via CB10
    It's a touchscreen device and it has a trackpad which you can use to your advantage. You probably misunderstood the conversation in this thread where others discussed that it could be useful to be able to turn the digitizer (touch layer) off in some cases

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:35 AM
    None taken I never said it's BETTER, just that I got used to the touchscreen the same way as I fell in love with the capacitive keyboard on Passport. I enjoyed the toolbelt back in the days when I was using my Bold 9700 and 9900. It's always about priorities and the way every person uses their smartphone. I think resurrecting the tool belt on Classic was a very clever move from BlackBerry as many users were holding back from buying a Q10 because of its absence. I used to prefer physical buttons on all of my smartphones before Z10, I've been using a legendary HTC Universal, then an Xperia X1, loved the X2 also and when I saw that WinMo is going down and deciding where to go next I was hesitating between an iPhone 4, which was the first and the last iPhone which I liked by design, and a BlackBerry 9700. I chose BlackBerry because of the keyboard, the toolbelt and the trackpad. So I totally get your point. But after owning a Z10 for almost 2 years and having tried both the Passport and the Classic, I decided to let go of the toolbelt because I preferred the big screen of Passport, the modern design and its innovative keyboard. It's just my personal preference

Posted via CB10
    Again, I have no problem with your preference, it's simply the whole labeling of the tech in terms of direction that people like to do, not just you. It was just the whole "going back" and "looking forward" terminology that I don't really like...

Ruslan Botsyurko and 1TIME like this.
    11-09-14 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Trackball?? What?? Lol

11-09-14 09:36 AM
    do you have pointer to control in the web browser with the trackpad at all?
    11-09-14 01:40 PM
    do you have pointer to control in the web browser with the trackpad at all?
    Yes of course. He posted a video showcasing it as did another cb user dbhabkirk

Posted via CB10
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    11-09-14 02:29 PM
    It opens the quicklaunch menu (same if you make a gesture from top bezel), but you have an extra BlackBerry Hub software button above it.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 02:37 PM
    I'll have a check on the classic. I think, it might not be everyone's bet but, it will be a good one.
    11-10-14 01:50 AM
391 ... 13141516