Hi there again fellas

So don't ask me why or how, but this time I was able to get a BlackBerry Classic for a test and a review. As you may already know from my previous thread about the Passport, I an editor at SmartMania.cz, so I wrote my first impressions article (which was published just minutes ago) and took a bunch of photos for those who weren't particularly impressed with Passport and are still waiting for the Classic to come to the market. Again, I don't have time to translate the article to English, so you have to rely on the clever monkeys of Google Translator, but if you have any questions about the device, don't hesitate to ask, I'll try to answer as much as I can.

My last thread with Passport was rather popular, so I'll add a small disclaimer this time for other editors all around the world - if you share my photos or quote my text, please don't forget to refer to my original article as a source. Thank you!

BlackBerry Classic: Back to the roots (exclusive first look) --- CZECH // ENGLISH (via Google Translator)

A few images:

Got my paws on the BlackBerry Classic (HQ photos, Q&A)-dsc_5526_sm.jpg
    Got my paws on the BlackBerry Classic (HQ photos, Q&A)-dsc_5533_sm.jpg
    Got my paws on the BlackBerry Classic (HQ photos, Q&A)-dsc_5548_sm.jpg

...more images (20 in total) to be found in my original article.

Hope I raised a mood of some of ya, have a nice day and ask questions if you have any
    Last edited by Ruslan Botsyurko; 10-15-14 at 07:11 PM.
    10-15-14 05:24 PM
    How do you like it? Do you notice any difference in performing tasks compared to the passport due to weaker specs? Build quality?

Do you know the specs on the phone?

Edit: thanks in advance!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 05:37 PM
    How do you like it? Do you notice any difference in performing tasks compared to the passport due to weaker specs? Build quality?

Do you know the specs on the phone?

Edit: thanks in advance!!!

Posted via CB10
    1) I like the build quality, it's a pretty heavy, solid piece of quality materials, it just feels like BlackBerry and the tool belt is very useful.
    2) I didn't notice any major differences or lags, both devices are snappy.
    3) I don't know the specs, I only have the phone itself and I'm certainly not gonna rip it apart to see the insides But the specs are already leaked, the only parameter I figured out myself is the weight and it is 179 grams.
    JGoodard, Catinboots and canook like this.
    10-15-14 05:49 PM
    Awesome! Thank you!

One more them I'm done....hows the screen look?

Edit: does the keyboard feel solid? Any creaky keys from board or tool belt?

One more...how does the os navigation feel with the tool belt?

I'M DONE. Thanks
    gregt12 likes this.
    10-15-14 06:08 PM
    Awesome! Thank you!

One more them I'm done....hows the screen look?

Edit: does the keyboard feel solid? Any creaky keys from board or tool belt?

Posted v
    The screen looks amazing, probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Classic and Passport (except for the size of course). But side to side the Q10 display looks like crap compared to Classic, which is much crisper, has more natural colours and the backlight is stronger on max settings.

Got my paws on the BlackBerry Classic (HQ photos, Q&A)-dsc_5457_sm.jpg
    Otherwise I tried to squash the device in my hands and didn't hear any cracks or odd sounds, it just feels very solid including the keyboard, but as far as I've read the problems on Q10 occured after a longer period of everyday use, so hopefully BlackBerry fixed that.
    10-15-14 06:16 PM
    Does the track pad light up?
    10-15-14 06:17 PM
    Thanks Ruslan. How does the os navigation feel with the trackpad? Does it feel tacked on or natural?

Thanks again for your time.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:21 PM
    Does the trackpad light up? Do the frets between the keys feel like metal or plastic?
    10-15-14 06:25 PM
    The more I see pictures of the Classic, and get more information about it, the more I want it!

One question, were the speakers loud when on full (if you tested that, if not, I won't mind :P)?

Thank you for all the pictures and info.
    10-15-14 06:29 PM
    Is it a nano sim?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:32 PM
    Does the track pad light up?
    Sadly not, I also love how the 9900 trackpad lit up nicely
    JGoodard likes this.
    10-15-14 06:35 PM
    USB OTG?

What the what?
    10-15-14 06:37 PM
    I've been waiting to ask questions for some time and now that the opportunity is presented, I don't know what to ask.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky and yueytan like this.
    10-15-14 06:41 PM
    Thanks Ruslan. How does the os navigation feel with the trackpad? Does it feel tacked on or natural?

Thanks again for your time.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, after a few hours with Classic in my hands I was like “Oh, the buttons, I forgot about the buttons, let's see what those do” I got used to the gesture based all-touchscreen control of BB10, so it was weird to use the tool belt at first. But once you discover the function keys, you can do pretty much everything without even touching the screen. When in hub or homescreen you can see a half-transparent blue highlight over the active parts when you move around with trackpad, so it works just fine. On the home page when you press the menu button (with BB logo), when you highlight any Active Screen, you can close the app by pressing Back. I think one could get used to it pretty quick, especially those who skipped the Q10 and will be upgrading from the Bold 9900.

The trackpad itself feels natural, but it's a lot smaller than the one on Bold 9900, so sometimes when I use it I click on something at the bottom of the screen by mistake.
    JGoodard and flyingsolid like this.
    10-15-14 06:44 PM
    Do the frets between the keys feel like metal or plastic?
    Hard to tell as you can't really touch the frets, they are deeper under the level of the keyboard, but I'd guess they're made of plastic by the feel of the top fret which is accessible.
    10-15-14 06:46 PM
    Hard to tell as you can't really touch the frets, they are deeper under the level of the keyboard, but I'd guess they're made of plastic by the feel of the top fret which is accessible.
    Blah, hope they haven't reverted to using cheap crappy plastic...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-15-14 06:49 PM
    Can you use and navigate the whole phone ONLY using the trackpad?

When in an app, is there a square box sub menu that pops up when you push and hold the trackpad button down?

I assume the cut and paste works just like a Bold with the trackpad?

What version OS does your Classic have in it?

Do all the usual home screen app launch shortcuts work? M, L, U, O, H, T, K, D, A, etc.
    10-15-14 06:53 PM
    The more I see pictures of the Classic, and get more information about it, the more I want it!

One question, were the speakers loud when on full (if you tested that, if not, I won't mind :P)?

Thank you for all the pictures and info.

The speakers are pretty loud on full, with no noticeable distortion, but the Passport speakers are a wee bit louder. No problem by the way, I still got both devices, so I can test anything you want
    Dave Liao likes this.
    10-15-14 06:53 PM
    Is it a nano sim?

Posted via CB10
    USB OTG?
    YES and YES
    10-15-14 06:54 PM
    YES and YES
    Sweet, thanks!

What the what?
    10-15-14 06:56 PM
    Oh. Does the trackpad have a cursor by default on the browser? Will it scroll up or down in browser without having the arrow cursor?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:57 PM
    How is the camera? And there still gestures?
    Thanks ruslan, you rock!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:58 PM
    Can you use and navigate the whole phone ONLY using the trackpad?

When in an app, is there a square box sub menu that pops up when you push and hold the trackpad button down?

I assume the cut and paste works just like a Bold with the trackpad?

What version OS does your Classic have in it?

Do all the usual home screen app launch shortcuts work? M, L, U, O, H, T, K, D, A, etc.
    Nice couple of questions.

1) YES, you can navigate through the OS only using the trackpad and function keys.
    2) I didn't get what you meant by the square box sub menu, but if you mean context menu, then no. By holding the trackpad pressed on a text, the word gets selected, when on link, you get the regular right-side context menu.
    3) Cut/Paste is similar to all the other BB10 devices, except you can use shift+trackpad to select text.
    4) OS version 10.3.1.632
    5) Even better, you can assign those buttons to whatever you want, either a phone number or any app, you have to hold the key to make the shortcut work. Just typing opens BlackBerry assistant / Universal search.
    raino, VeryBumpy, JGoodard and 1 others like this.
    10-15-14 07:03 PM
    Oh. Does the trackpad have a cursor by default on the browser? Will it scroll up or down in browser without having the arrow cursor?

Posted via CB10

The cursor appears when you touch the trackpad in browser and you can scroll by moving it to the bottom/top and further. It disappears when you touch the screen.
    merli001 and JGoodard like this.
    10-15-14 07:05 PM
    How is the camera? And there still gestures?
    Thanks ruslan, you rock!

Posted via CB10

Didn't have time to test the camera yet, but I'll make some shots tomorrow (it's currently 2 AM in Czech Republic ) and post the photos Gestures are still there.
    10-15-14 07:07 PM
391 123 ...