It is my understanding that it is possible to install and run Google Play Store on the BlackBerry Classic Q20 via Developer Mode, and that some Android applications run fine whereas some do not. I've been eyeing the Classic since it came out, and absolutely love the design and ergonomics of the phone (I've owned MANY BlackBerrys). However, with my continued disappointment of BlackBerry's OS's, and prehistoric hardware specifications, I decided not to purchase one.

I tried going Android (S5) after I got fed up and tired with BlackBerrys going downhill. I last used a 9900 (and always a flagship BlackBerry before that). It has now been about a year, and I can't stand the S5 (thought I would get used to it). It's frustrating that there is no phone that performs the way I want. I was looking forward to the new "Android" BlackBerry but that turned out to be a joke (form factor). At one point I was carrying both a 9900 and an S5 for maximum productivity but got annoyed of carrying two phones and managing data between 2 devices.

So, after a year S5 ownership, I realize there are only a handful of applications I need from the Android OS. I don't game, or do anything fancy with it. I would really like to come back to the physical keyboard and push email system that BlackBerrys offer.
    The only Android apps I NEED are:

-Google Maps (including it's real time traffic updates during navigation)
    -Chrome Web Browser (a similarly performing browser would suffice)
    -Microsoft OneDrive
    -Microsoft Office Word
    -Microsoft Office Excel

So, if I can have these applications run on a Classic Q20 (and run well, not just execute), I would be able to make the switch back over to a BlackBerry. Can anyone comment on their experiences with these applications via the Google Play Store on their Classic Q20, and how they compare on flagship Android devices?

Are there any disadvantages of running the Google Play Store on a Classic Q20 that I'm not aware of? I have no problem running hacks or custom firmware, as long as everything functions correctly.

Also, am I better off with a Passport? Looking at pictures I find it hard to believe the keyboard would be as good as the Q20's, the ergonomics of how one would hold and type on that device doesn't make sense to me, though I have yet to try it.
    Last edited by Carthik; 01-22-16 at 04:04 AM.
    01-22-16 03:48 AM
    I guess you are better off using a PRIV with all the Google crap baked in already, Classic and Passport devices are OS10 devices, the Google spy toyshop is not available to OS10 regarding other issues.
    Yes there is a way of compromising a BB OS10 device by sideloading an unofficial app, but that is entirely on your own risk if anything going wrong. not recommended at all.

Fact is as soon as you allow any Google app to get access to your device you automatically surrender and loose controls of your data.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    WanderingMindNYC likes this.
    01-22-16 05:03 AM
    I recently bought a Classic. When I have the time I'll try to put the Play Store on it. Afterwards I'll post again with the results of this experiment.
    01-23-16 01:48 AM
    I recently bought a Classic. When I have the time I'll try to put the Play Store on it. Afterwards I'll post again with the results of this experiment.
    Following the instructions in this thread is not an experiment. Read the first post and follow the instructions: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11189556
    01-23-16 04:24 AM
    I use OneDrive (and DropBox). Word & Excel are ok. Excel lacks provision for inserting rows but it CAN be done, thru convoluted procedure. Idk about Chrome. I use native, Zeus and QBrowser.

Native Maps works fine for me. It provides some "real time" traffic accident etc reporting. If possible, I don't use Google for ANYthing (too many old friends at Sun from a previous life. ) so... Fwiw.

I have a Passport but rarely use it. Still use my 9900 along with Classic. Two single handed devices makes for two simultaneously used devices. One for each hand. If you're already accustomed to 9900 toolbelt, you might find PP's configuration frustrating. I do. But you might be different. Only way to know is try it.
    01-23-16 02:27 PM
    OP, if you really don't want to go through the hassle of side loading or using two devices, I suggest getting a Priv. It has all the all apps you could want bundled with as much security as BlackBerry could muster to secure Android.

I use BlackBerry Maps although it doesn't pick the best route sometimes. Dropbox works perfectly. You have access to Docs To Go on BlackBerry so that should be able to take the place of Excel and Word if you don't need google docs or google sheets.

Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.1.2267 T-Mobile Unlimited Data
    01-23-16 07:05 PM
    OP, Microsoft Excel and Word require Kitkat Android 4.4. The BlackBerry Android Runtime is limited to v4.3. You can load the older MS Office Mobile, but it is substantially inferior.

GMaps can run quite nicely though.
    01-23-16 10:01 PM
    I'm not interested in the PRIV, form factor is a deal breaker. I'm quite positive I will not like the Passport, the ergonomics look awful. I will test one out when I get a chance though.

Luke Beauchamp, looking forward to your testing, thank you.

idssteve, can you clarify what applications you are using for Word and Excel? Is the native maps application similar to Google Maps for navigation? Are all your applications standard BB OS ones?

As I stated in the first post, I don't mind side loading.

conite, thanks for that information regarding MS Word an Excel. That's a disappointment. Are there plans for an update? I assume my GMaps your referring to Google Maps?
    01-24-16 12:02 AM
    idssteve, can you clarify what applications you are using for Word and Excel? Is the native maps application similar to Google Maps for navigation? Are all your applications standard BB OS ones?
    Word & Excel are really Docs to Go. Sorry for confusion. Docs to Go came preloaded. As did BlackBerry maps. I haven't used Google maps enough to really compare but I'd say BB maps is at least analogous, if not similar to G maps. I use it a LOT and am pleased enough with it. .
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-24-16 at 02:46 AM.
    01-24-16 12:48 AM
    wonder why so many people try to replace well sorted BB system app's by putting crippled Google app's next to it just to find out that there is no need to go though all that hassle of side loading this Google Toyshop, and most important putting there device at risk of data leaks too.

01-24-16 02:07 AM
    Nothing wrong with Google Android apps on the Classic or any BB10 device. The problem lies in your ability to follow the Cobalt instructions. I could never master it completely .. or perhaps I did for most of the apps. If I were to go that route again I would just stick with what Snap offers. The reference to the Google Toy shop above is unwarranted. Google Maps for one is my most needed app and the main reason I left BB10.
    01-24-16 02:15 AM
    I'm not interested in the PRIV, form factor is a deal breaker. I'm quite positive I will not like the Passport, the ergonomics look awful. I will test one out when I get a chance though.

Luke Beauchamp, looking forward to your testing, thank you.

As I stated in the first post, I don't mind side loading.

conite, thanks for that information regarding MS Word an Excel. That's a disappointment. Are there plans for an update? I assume my GMaps your referring to Google Maps?
    Im an owner of BlackBerry Classic.. I do have apps downloaded at playstore

-NBA
    - Chicago bulls
    -Google Map
    -Speedtest.net
    -Waze
    -PhotoGrid

and two locally made apps

Its working just fine even the google map though u will received notifs once in a while the you need to get google play services.

Dont download games from playstore its just wont work.. the screen is too small

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 02:49 AM
    wonder why so many people try to replace well sorted BB system app's by putting crippled Google app's next to it just to find out that there is no need to go though all that hassle of side loading this Google Toyshop, and most important putting there device at risk of data leaks too.

One can't discount the specific app requirements of an individual or an organisation. Some people need must-have apps, many of which could be dictated by others.
    01-24-16 04:03 AM

Unfortunately, BlackBerry explicitly stated they will not be updating the Android Runtime.

And yes, I was referring to Google Maps.
    01-24-16 04:06 AM
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry explicitly stated they will not be updating the Android Runtime.

And yes, I was referring to Google Maps.
    Great news... Hurrah, hopefully BB allows to delete sys.android.xxx.bar as well, clean OS10 finally

01-24-16 07:28 AM
    Great news... Hurrah, hopefully BB allows to delete sys.android.xxx.bar as well, clean OS10 finally

You can through Sachesi. Although the Runtime lays dormant if not invoked by an Android app, and actually takes very little space.
    Last edited by conite; 01-24-16 at 08:53 AM.
    01-24-16 07:30 AM
    One can't discount the specific app requirements of an individual or an organisation. Some people need must-have apps, many of which could be dictated by others.
    exactly that's why I'm hoping we are no longer forced to use this "permanent" Android RT nor the Amazon shop altogether, because I don't like being dictated that I have to have this memory waste running at any time even if I don't use this RT.

let us have the choice to decide but not press anyone in running Google spyware, the ones who like it, fine to me, but if there is no need for it let us have a safe escape sticking with a clean BB OS10

01-24-16 07:31 AM
    well Religion... isn't it an OS war... or at least a point of view...

The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.

01-24-16 07:47 AM
    You can if you like through Sachesi. Although the Runtime lays dormant if not invoked by an Android app, and actually takes very little space.
    looks like you misunderstand the fact that sys.android.xxx.bar can't be deleted from the system it's marked "a permanent" file, only sys-androis.shell.xxx.bar can be deleted and that actually renders the RT and any Android port to be able to start up.

sys.android.xxx.bar = 84.5MB
    sys.android.shell.xxx.bar = 56.1KB

still sys.android.xxx.bar running permanent with 300KB at any time even if non Android app or service exist on the device, even the /misc/android/*** relevant folders on the device are not there anymore. (the Amazon app's are taken out by DBBT)
    so conclusion is that this demon Server, call it the hidden RT still eating up valuable memory needed for other OS10 app's to run headless.

01-24-16 08:48 AM
    sys.android.xxx.bar can't be deleted from the system it's marked "a permanent" file, only sys-androis.shell.xxx.bar can be deleted
    Correct.
    01-24-16 09:01 AM