So, have a new Classic and love it! Overall, I am not a heavy app user and have found most of the apps I need/use via the BB Store and Amazon Store. Just wondering who has chosen to put Google Play on their Classic and what the reasons were? Does downloading the store come with any risk?
    09-03-15 11:09 AM
    So, have a new Classic and love it! Overall, I am not a heavy app user and have found most of the apps I need/use via the BB Store and Amazon Store. Just wondering who has chosen to put Google Play on their Classic and what the reasons were? Does downloading the store come with any risk?
    You wont be able to install the official version of Google Play, nor Google Play Services, as Google precludes BlackBerry from using those.
    Here is why:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-store-953753/

You can get around that mostly by using CrackBerry regular Cobalt's patched Play Store and patches to get around Google Play Services for most apps, here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/

There is also SNAP, which can browser Google Play and install apps from there, however if they are dependent on Google Play Services heavily, the install or app may not work:
    Snap - Red Light Of Love, Ltd.
    09-03-15 11:16 AM
    The only risk is letting Google register your phone, since they will monitor every android app you use. So if you don't want Big Brother Google watching you don't use it. Other than that, we don't get android viruses or malware since the apps use the emulator and have no access to our core BlackBerry system.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-03-15 11:36 AM
    The only risk is letting Google register your phone, since they will monitor every android app you use. So if you don't want Big Brother Google watching you don't use it. Other than that, we don't get android viruses or malware since the apps use the emulator and have no access to our core BlackBerry system.
    BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    But some of the malware can effect the device, see:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...86/index2.html
    In the above case, it was still limited to the Android sandbox, so the fix was to delete all the android apps or do a wipe.
    But, malware or adware within the Android sandbox can negatively effect the device as a whole.

Currently there is no known BB10 malware, but that is only "at this time"
    09-03-15 11:50 AM
    But some of the malware can effect the device, see:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...86/index2.html
    In the above case, it was still limited to the Android sandbox, so the fix was to delete all the android apps or do a wipe.
    But, malware or adware within the Android sandbox can negatively effect the device as a whole.

Currently there is no known BB10 malware, but that is only "at this time"
    I've downloaded a lot of apps from shady websites with no issues. I suppose that is the risk one takes when installing apps from unofficial sources. But seeing how it only affects the emulator and not the BB10 OS I'd say that's a small price to pay and one with an easy fix. If you got that malware on your android you'd be SOL.

And until someone actually does infect BB10 it's all speculation that it can happen. Everyone wants to believe BB10 is just as virus prone as Android but there's zero evidence for that theory.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-04-15 12:23 PM
    I've downloaded a lot of apps from shady websites with no issues. I suppose that is the risk one takes when installing apps from unofficial sources. But seeing how it only affects the emulator and not the BB10 OS I'd say that's a small price to pay and one with an easy fix. If you got that malware on your android you'd be SOL.

And until someone actually does infect BB10 it's all speculation that it can happen. Everyone wants to believe BB10 is just as virus prone as Android but there's zero evidence for that theory.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    There was a recent post in CrackBerry about Hacking Team in Italy that was hacked and had all of their info, documents, client list, and source info posted.
    Among all that was exploits for the Legacy BBOS.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...y-oss-1027860/

So, yeah, hopefully BB10 is bullet proof, but until then I think it shouldn't be fully treated as such.
    09-04-15 01:48 PM
    I installed Google Play Store on one of my Classics. I did it just because... If you're using the Amazon app store to download Android apps than there's no other downfall in particular by installing Google Play via alternate methods mentioned above and throughout the forums. The Amazon app store isn't any more or less secure than Google Play anyways... An Android app is still an Android app regardless of method used to install it. If you're already accepting of the "risks" associated with downloading Android apps from Amazon, than Google Play is just as fine...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 09-04-15 at 03:34 PM.
    09-04-15 02:48 PM
    There was a recent post in CrackBerry about Hacking Team in Italy that was hacked and had all of their info, documents, client list, and source info posted.
    Among all that was exploits for the Legacy BBOS.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...y-oss-1027860/

So, yeah, hopefully BB10 is bullet proof, but until then I think it shouldn't be fully treated as such.
    I'm sure it isn't bullet proof, someone will eventually find a way, but look how long it took to hack BBOS. It's the core of the OS that matters and BlackBerry has a pretty strict policy regarding access to its core, where as Google just slapped together some Unix with a GUI and said here you go hack away. Google is an Internet company that makes $ off of exploiting the Web, gathering every piece of information it can find and doesn't care about risks to users. BlackBerry was founded on security. These are not the same OS by any means.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    DaFoxGrey and CivilDissident like this.
    09-04-15 02:58 PM