Hi, I've been with BlackBerry since the 83xx series, been through many phones including Curve, Bold 9900 and now the Z10. I stuck with BB because it was always about getting things done fast.
    I was looking forward to the Classic but now have a dilema...

1. The Classic is woefully underpowered for 2015 compared to other similarly priced hardware. (Yes, I fully understand why this was done.)

2. I want a full physical keyboard for text entry, or none at all (therefore no Passport).
    Data security, productivity with task managment, and web browsing are the main priorities. Yet, since BlackBerry have left a void between the Classic and Passport I'm considering leaving. It's hard to 'downgrade' to Classic hardware from a Z10 when devices like Galaxy Note 4 (that converts handwriting to text/++apps/complete mobile office/etc) are being offered to me.

Hence this question:

Does anyone use a non-BlackBerry phone that has become their main/sole device for productivity in getting things done? (i.e. A phone you'd recommend to be as useful as a BB?) If so, what is it, and why do you like it over BB?

(Fanbois, save the hate - it pains me to be asking this )
    NecroSemen likes this.
    01-04-15 02:36 PM
    Data security, productivity with task managment, and web browsing are the main priorities.
    this alone screams stick with BlackBerry. Seens gaming is not a priority the Classic should fit your needs just fine. However, if you feel the Classic spec is not up to par, then pay the extra $100 and get the Passport with more power and larger screen real estate.
    anon(3072139) and d-signer like this.
    01-04-15 02:39 PM
    Have you seen or used a Classic? What is under powered about it for mobile office? I'm curious how you know. There are lots of reviews around here. Maybe someone will have a better opinion that you can share.
    01-04-15 02:40 PM
    With the Z10 I've become used to it's multimedia prowess, that the Classic is unable to match (e.g. HDMI connecting to projector, 16:9 screen, etc). Not sure I can go back to reading documents on a smaller screen now. If the Passport had the full keyboard it would have been PERFECT, but I can't stand typing without the full keyboard (2 yrs with the Z10 and it still bugs me). I see phones like the Galaxy Note 4 with 8 core CPUs that you can write in like a book, and wonder if it's time for me to move on? I'm just wondering if anyone else has used something they thought was comparable with their BB? (Hoping to try a Classic soon, but not seen it in stores yet )
    01-04-15 02:50 PM
    Hi I'm not sure you have used the classic. I went from the Z10 to the classic, and have been using it since Dec 19. The phone is as fluid and quick as the Z10 and the Q10. It may not be as fast as the Z30 or the passport, but I don't really care. Go for an iphone or samsung android if one of those phone suits your need. Personally you have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted via CB10
    cappi likes this.
    01-04-15 03:02 PM
    "Personally you have no idea what you're talking about." Huh? I was only asking a question, but thanks for your input on the swap from Z10 to Classic anyhow.
    01-04-15 03:08 PM
    Goodbye. Go get another phone. Stop your griping, and get a phone that suits your needs. Why would you post a bunch of non-sense.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 03:17 PM
    Why don't you try the Classic or the Passport for yourself? You have 30 days to return it if you buy through shop blackberry
    NYTOC83, d-signer, thedose and 1 others like this.
    01-04-15 03:17 PM
    Hi, I've been with BlackBerry since the 83xx series, been through many phones including Curve, Bold 9900 and now the Z10. I stuck with BB because it was always about getting things done fast.
    I was looking forward to the Classic but now have a dilema...
    1. The Classic is woefully underpowered for 2015 compared to other similarly priced hardware. (Yes, I fully understand why this was done.)
    2. I want a full physical keyboard for text entry, or none at all (therefore no Passport).
    Data security, productivity with task managment, and web browsing are the main priorities. Yet, since BlackBerry have left a void between the Classic and Passport I'm considering leaving. It's hard to 'downgrade' to Classic hardware from a Z10 when devices like Galaxy Note 4 (that converts handwriting to text/++apps/complete mobile office/etc) are being offered to me.
    Hence this question:
    Does anyone use a non-BlackBerry phone that has become their main/sole device for productivity in getting things done? (i.e. A phone you'd recommend to be as useful as a BB?) If so, what is it, and why do you like it over BB?
    (Fanbois, save the hate - it pains me to be asking this )
    I've used the Samsung S5 and a mid tier Lumia (friends' loaners - to have a cross platform look) quite extensively.
    (Gave up the iP5s after 1 day, the Home button almost made me throw the device out of the window.)

I've found that BB is closest to a PC as far as multi tasking and productivity are concerned (I still use XP Professional SP3 + Ubuntu on my main desktop).

Except for the Note4's handwritten to text feature I don't think any other feature would warrant that Android/ WP would be more productive platforms for the usage you describe. Unless you get the Surface maybe.

Like others have suggested try the Classic and see how it works for you. The GSM Arena's reviewers (always not so happy with previous BB10 devices) especially commented that the Classic's low specs and benchmark scores don't effect the device's performance.

Else the Z30 would be an upgrade from your Z10, sans the handwritten to text feature of the Note4, but like I said before nothing much more on offer in the latter case from productivity point of view.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-04-15 03:22 PM
    "Personally you have no idea what you're talking about." "Goodbye. Go get another phone" "Why would you post a bunch of non-sense." you say, but apparently I'm the one that's "griping"?
    I was just asking a straight forward question, and even thanked you for your input.
    01-04-15 03:24 PM
    "Personally you have no idea what you're talking about." "Goodbye. Go get another phone" "Why would you post a bunch of non-sense." you say, but apparently I'm the one that's "griping"?
    I was just asking a straight forward question, and even thanked you for your input.
    ??? You're surely not replying to me ???

Nevermind, just saw the post you replied to :-)

CB10 @ Q5
    d-signer likes this.
    01-04-15 03:26 PM
    I'm hoping to try it when it arrives in stores (its still listed as "coming soon" in the UK), I've been watching the vids and reading up on others experiences to date.
    01-04-15 03:26 PM
    "Personally you have no idea what you're talking about." Huh? I was only asking a question, but thanks for your input on the swap from Z10 to Classic anyhow.
    Expect more snarky remarks from fanboys/apologists here. :-(

Posted from a D618
    01-04-15 03:27 PM
    ??? You're surely not replying to me ???

CB10 @ Q5
    No not at all! It was @transportin I was quoting/replying to.
    Thank you for the pointers and input! Very insightful.
    (I'd like to click on a "Thanks" button to thank you, but it only showed up for the first 3 replies to the thread.)
    01-04-15 03:28 PM
    I wonder if the OP is too quick to assume he won't like the Passport keyboard. Most of us who've tried it have found it to be more than satisfactory. There's a learning curve, but it's not that steep, and for viewing and editing documents the screen is great.
    brookie229, jas1978, Al1n and 8 others like this.
    01-04-15 03:32 PM
    Expect more snarky remarks from fanboys/apologists here. :-(

Posted from a D618
    Not a fanboy. I was suggesting to the OP to get a phone that suits his/her need, and if spec is important then go for a non-blackberry phone. Security is no different than other phones if you're not on BES.

Posted via CB10
    d-signer likes this.
    01-04-15 03:32 PM
    No not at all! Thank you for the pointers and input!
    It was @transportin I was quoting.
    Nevermind, edited that post.

+ like tacsniper said try out the Passport too, the 30 day return window does help :-)

CB10 @ Q5
    d-signer likes this.
    01-04-15 03:33 PM
    Wow some sensitive BlackBerry fans here. The OP raised some valid points and just wants advice, chill people..

I have the Passport and the Classic, to me the Classic is too underpowered and that's why it's going back to where it came from..

It's been pointed out plenty of time that the Classic is targeted for legacy users..

To the OP: I also once wished the Passport came with full keyboard but now that I used the phone for about a month I can tell you that I like it even better than the classic keyboard, i've gotten very quick at typing on it and integrating the touch screen symbols so don't knock it till you try it.

And that is just my personal opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 03:36 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Buy the classic... then get on with the rest of your life... omg.. drama queen....

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 03:40 PM
    Security is no different than other phones if you're not on BES.

Posted via CB10
    Offtopic/ Sorry

But IIRC App Permissions control for Android apps is available in 10.3. That alone is a step up from non-rooted Android phones. WP comes on top among iOS, Android and WP.

I'd put it this way - chances of inadvertent security/ privacy issues due to user negligence are lesser on BB10 devices.

CB10 @ Q5
    d-signer likes this.
    01-04-15 03:41 PM
    I wonder if the OP is too quick to assume he won't like the Passport keyboard. Most of us who've tried it have found it to be more than satisfactory. There's a learning curve, but it's not that steep, and for viewing and editing documents the screen is great.
    I agree totally with this. The OP states that 2 of his main priorities are text editing productivity and web browsing..web browsing on the Passport is, simply put, awesome, and productivity with text is, in my opinion, very good also. I have not used a Classic, other than a few minutes at a Telus store, but even tho the Passport does not have the physical 4 row keyboard, I find that 80% of my typing does not even involve that virtual keyboard row. It was very easy for me to adapt to that virtual row with a little practice. I just think the OP should not, so quickly, discount the Passport. It is an awesome device IMHO.
    jas1978, mk2234 and d-signer like this.
    01-04-15 03:46 PM
    To the OP: I also once wished the Passport came with full keyboard but now that I used the phone for about a month I can tell you that I like it even better than the classic keyboard, i've gotten very quick at typing on it and integrating the touch screen symbols so don't knock it till you try it...

Posted via CB10
    I got a Z30 recently but Q5 is still my main device. And now I'm beginning to think that I might get the Passport, it would be like a bigger and faster Q5 with touch enabled pkb.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-04-15 03:46 PM
    Thanks all for your input. I won't write off the Passport just yet, and will also try out the Classic when it becomes available.
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-04-15 04:01 PM
    This. I think you dismissed the Passport too quickly.

01-04-15 04:11 PM
    if you are willing to go with a touchscreen phone why not replace the Z10 with a Z30? Realistically the classic is only a phone for people who are unwilling to sacrifice the keyboard and toolbelt and have held on to legacy devices for that reason.
    01-04-15 04:28 PM
83 123 ...