I thought I would share my story with you guys about my first blackberry experience and ask for some tips as well. I'm on verizon and in January signed up with the edge program and a note 4. I liked the phone but it was a little to big and was a time waster. Well yesterday I accidently dropped it into a lake (don't ask). I needed a new phone but couldn't afford to edge up so soon. I've been a long time lurker here on crackberry and enjoyed reading about their success and rebounds. So when I went to the store today I bought a classic. I wanted something a little bit smaller than the note and could help me be more productive and not tempt me with boom beach lol. I stayed up late reading posts and watching videos on the classic and decided to take the plunge. After only a few hours messing with it I really like it. It is going to take some getting used to since I've never used blackberry or even had a physical keyboard. So if you guys have any tips or must have apps I would appreciate it. I'll try and update this in a few days on my transition to a new style.

Ps...this thing is smooth!

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-23-15 04:03 PM
    So, I know you said don't ask, but come on... Please, lol. :-D

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-23-15 04:16 PM
    If you ever fiend some boom beach http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=985344

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 04:17 PM
    Do you need any specific tips? Getting used to a new OS and, especially going (back?) to a physical keyboard will take some time for sure. Learning the keyboard is just like sports or any other hobby: the more you do or rather use it, the better it gets.

Besides that, take your time learning the basic gestures, peek and flow, double-finger swipe down from any app for quick settings, tapping and holding on that little navigation bar at the bottom to quickly scroll through homescreens, etc.

Another great advice would be getting used to keyboard shortcuts. You can learn about many app specific shortcuts by checking the side menus, quite some options have little letters besides them - which represents the shortcuts. There are also some global shortcuts which work virtually anywhere, a small selection of those:
    Spacebar - scroll one page down
    T - go to the top of the page
    B - go to the bottom of the page
    Also taking your time to set up custom shortcuts for apps and customize your sound profiles is also pretty handy.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 04:19 PM
    All right. Well I was standing on this bridge taking some pics of a boat house and some boats when a truck drove behind me. I wasn't paying attention and they honked their horn at me which made jump and the phone just bobbled out of my hands into the water below. I've never dropped a phone or even broke one but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 04:28 PM
    Oh, but tips, read up on all of the available keyboard shortcuts. Make use of the long press one-button shortcuts, customize them from settings - shortcuts and speed dial.

To close an active app, simply press the call end button to minimize it, then press the back key to close it. You can use the trackpad to highlight other open apps to close them with the back key as well.

While browing the internet with the native browser, there are a lot of useful shortcuts at your disposal.
    -Back button goes back one page, or exits your cursor from a text entry field if it's inside one.
    -T will bring you to the top of the page.
    -B will bring you to the bottom of the page.
    -U will bring you to the url, will highlight it for you as well so you can just hit U then type the new URL for the page you want to go to.
    -W brings up the left menu which allows you to choose to go to your homepage, bookmarks, open new tabs, switch tabs, and close tabs.
    -G brings you to a screen with your most visited/recently visited pages, and it also allows you to start typing a new URL right away

To highlight text, simply move the cursor using the trackpad to the beginning of where you want to start highlighting, hold shift, then drag the cursor over what you want to highlight with the trackpad. Press the menu key, the highlight option SHOULD be "Copy" (I've seen a few rare occasions where it isn't), press menu key again will select it, so basically you press menu key twice. Then when you go to where you want to paste it, place the cursor where you want to paste the text, press the menu key, the highlighted option should be "Paste" so press menu again to select it (so basically press menu twice again).

I'm not sure if the base 10.3.1 has this, or if they put it back in a more recent update (learn to load leaks, that's a whole other topic, but it's great, 10.3.2.500 is out now, I've read it)
    From the homescreen, if you want to post a facebook status, don't open facebook. Just start typing "fb This is my status" and press enter, it should show a dialog box with "This is my status" already filled in, just touch "Post" to post the facebook update. The same can be done with twitter, just type "tweet This is my status"
    Right now the universal search is still a little laggy unfortunately, but maybe 10.3.2 fixes it, I'll give that OS a try sometime tonight or tomorrow and I'll let you know.

If I think of more tips I'll chime back in.

04-23-15 04:38 PM
    All right. Well I was standing on this bridge taking some pics of a boat house and some boats when a truck drove behind me. I wasn't paying attention and they honked their horn at me which made jump and the phone just bobbled out of my hands into the water below. I've never dropped a phone or even broke one but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Posted via CB10
    Man, and what a sucky way to have it happen as a first time...

Get the BlackBerry Cares warranty program. It's cheap, and the deductible is low, and it includes water damage.

Also, make sure to have cloud backup turned on for your photos. Box, Dropbox, and One Drive all have options for automatic photo backups.

04-23-15 04:38 PM
    Take advantage of the Word Substitution feature that's built into BlackBerry 10, it'll make typing frequently used words and phrases a lot quicker.

To do this, navigate to Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction > Word Substitution. Tap on the "add" button at the bottom of the screen and follow the on-screen instructions.

For example, you can set up a shortcut so that when you type "omw" it will automatically be replaced with "I'm on my way".

Another tip, configure your Quick Settings so that you have easy access to the features you want the most. Under Settings > Quick Settings, you can enable/disable the options you want and rearrange them to your liking.

Enjoy your new BlackBerry Classic!
    04-23-15 10:48 PM
    To highlight text, simply move the cursor using the trackpad to the beginning of where you want to start highlighting, hold shift, then drag the cursor over what you want to highlight with the trackpad. Press the menu key, the highlight option SHOULD be "Copy" (I've seen a few rare occasions where it isn't), press menu key again will select it, so basically you press menu key twice. Then when you go to where you want to paste it, place the cursor where you want to paste the text, press the menu key, the highlighted option should be "Paste" so press menu again to select it (so basically press menu twice again).
    When I do the shift trackpad thing.. when the little piece of text is highlighted and I let my shiftbutton loose.. the copy/cut option is appearing on itself.. and when i'm on the place where i want to paste it.. I hit the trackpad one time and the past icon appears. ( I'm just on the official OS 3.1.1779)

Posted via my awesome Classic
    04-24-15 03:21 PM
    With the Hub, pinch to bring out all of the unread messages. Or press U for unread messages. StoryMaker is a cool app too.

Posted via Classic
    04-24-15 11:20 PM
    List of Classic shortcuts:

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...ard-shortcuts/

Keep in mind that you can configure your own Home Screen shortcuts in Settings -> Shortcuts and Speed Dial.

There are even shortcuts that aren't listed, like Alt+U to mark Read/Unread in the HUB, and using Space instead of a period when typing in a new URL inside the Browser. The more you use and play around with the Classic, the faster you'll get.

At any time, in the Home screen, you can just type in what you want to do. Typing 'wersdfzxc0' and hitting call button will call 123-456-7890. There's all kinds of shortcuts. BlackBerry phones are all about fluidity, stability, multitasking, and efficiency. Help it adapt it to you... then other phones will just seem awkward, imprecise, and cumbersome in comparison.

From a Classic
    04-25-15 01:07 AM
    Welcome to BlackBerry. Remember pressing space button when reading something causes the screen to make a page down avoiding touching it to scroll!!

Also you will like how you can swap from call to email to sms so fast with the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 06:33 AM
    Good choice in a phone. I keep flipping back and forth between using the screen and keyboard when browsing or navigating. I'd stick with just the keyboard until you're comfortable then add some of the touchscreen shortcuts. Enjoy!

The Classic
    04-25-15 08:26 PM
    Now that you have a BlackBerry, you're like a Jedi now. That's how we roll.....

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    If this happened to me I would fight with the truck driver, I mean why honk? He could just rev up the engine or something!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:28 AM