What are the odds that we see this tech integrated into the classic line of phones? I think it would really help the classic line sell if a fingerprint scanner was add only to this lineup and not to the non-trackpad devices. At least not right away.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    edberry12 likes this.
    03-02-14 03:59 AM
    It's a very real possibility. Both are optical devices with slightly different functions.
    toneytone likes this.
    03-02-14 06:04 AM
    Not necessary. iPhone users barely use the feature. It's a gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 06:05 AM
    Might also be a patent issue.
    03-02-14 07:50 AM
    Might also be a patent issue.
    IIRC BlackBerry owns the patent to fingerprint scanning. But patent laws are so wonky it may not make a difference. I'm sure the verbiage of the patent and actual use of the item could vary a judges decision.
    toneytone likes this.
    03-02-14 08:03 AM
    Fingerprint scanning is not a unique technology. Just because it is on a phone rather than a time clock, etc. does not warrant patent protection.

I would use it, don't want someone snooping if I misplace my phone but it is too much of a bother to enter a password or finger paint on the screen every time I want to check something.
    toneytone likes this.
    03-02-14 09:23 AM
    Tell that to Ryan Seacrest.
    Fingerprint scanning is not a unique technology. Just because it is on a phone rather than a time clock, etc. does not warrant patent protection.

I would use it, don't want someone snooping if I misplace my phone but it is too much of a bother to enter a password or finger paint on the screen every time I want to check something.
    edberry12 likes this.
    03-02-14 10:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you have any data to back this up? I know plenty of people that use it. I prefer the scanner over typing in my pw.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    03-02-14 10:16 AM
    Yep OP, it would nice if BB did. Samsung and Pay Pal have a joint fingerprint venture in the works.
    toneytone likes this.
    03-02-14 10:21 AM
    The problem, for Blackberry, in developing this or any other hardware technology, at this point, is that their economies of scale are working against them. It would cost Blackberry about 30 times more per unit to develop and implement this kind of technology because Apple and Samsung will put it on 30X more devices.

Apple bought Authentec for $356M in order to get the technology used in Touch ID. Perhaps Blackberry has that kind of technology lying around unused or expertise in this area that they haven't laid of yet but I would doubt it. It's possible that Foxconn could put something together but it seems that they aren't making the high-end phones.
    toneytone likes this.
    03-02-14 10:42 AM
    Hopefully not. I don't want anything collecting my biometric data like retina scans, fingerprint scans, or anything like that unless it's something that isn't connected to any kind of network like a safe at home or something...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Last edited by slagman5; 03-02-14 at 11:02 AM.
    03-02-14 10:44 AM
    Do you have any data to back this up? I know plenty of people that use it. I prefer the scanner over typing in my pw.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    Valid.

But my statement was made off my personal observation and conversations with users.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:08 PM
    Adding a fingerprint scanner could potentially reduce the security of a device.
    You leave your fingerprint on everything that you touch and can be used to gain access even if your unconscious.

Having keys in memory as well as a security card or device to authenticate a user, I think, is still the best solution

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:14 PM
    Hopefully not. I don't want anything collecting my biometric data like retina scans, fingerprint scans, or anything like that unless it's something that isn't connected to any kind of network like a safe at home or something...

I agree, unless BlackBerry could guarantee the security of this information I wouldn't be interested.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:16 PM
    I can understand people against using a biometric fingerprint scanner for one reason or another, but keep in mind that if it is implemented, there is no reason why you can just not use it. You know, just pretend it didn't exist so that others who would like to have the option can use it. Everybody wins

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually I use this often, to unlock my device every time and to download apps. It may be a gimmick, but its a damn helpful gimmick.
    03-02-14 12:20 PM
    Definitely aimed at consumers looking for a novel way of using their phones

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:36 PM
    I hope not. Its not necessary at all and there is absolutely no need for you to give your finger print to anybody just because of some perceived convenience and enhanced security. Neither are true.
    03-02-14 01:21 PM
    I can understand people against using a biometric fingerprint scanner for one reason or another, but keep in mind that if it is implemented, there is no reason why you can just not use it. You know, just pretend it didn't exist so that others who would like to have the option can use it. Everybody wins

Posted via CB10
    The problem is, if someone doesn't like it for security reasons, just because you're not using it to unlock your device doesn't mean it isn't still recording your fingerprint every time you press the track pad. I would rather they have 2 versions, one with and one completely without the hardware capability of it.

03-02-14 03:23 PM
    Ha! That's a tad anal. I don't see this as a James Bond security feature, but more of an easy, convenience security feature.

I would think there would be plenty of other issues on a phone to be more concerned about other than a fingerprint.
    The problem is, if someone doesn't like it for security reasons, just because you're not using it to unlock your device doesn't mean it isn't still recording your fingerprint every time you press the track pad. I would rather they have 2 versions, one with and one completely without the hardware capability of it.

03-02-14 04:17 PM
    Ha! That's a tad anal. I don't see this as a James Bond security feature, but more of an easy, convenience security feature.

I would think there would be plenty of other issues on a phone to be more concerned about other than a fingerprint.
    That's fine that YOU don't see it as an issue. Not every one is exactly like you unfortunately right? ;-)

03-02-14 05:22 PM
    Are you really concerned more about someone getting access to your fingerprints, more than your personal information?
    That's fine that YOU don't see it as an issue. Not every one is exactly like you unfortunately right? ;-)

03-02-14 05:34 PM
    Are you really concerned more about someone getting access to your fingerprints, more than your personal information?
    I'm concerned about both. Sorry I don't share the same opinion as you. :-)

Thalestr likes this.
    03-02-14 06:06 PM
    I predict we will not see the track pad fingerprint scanner that activates the front facing Iris scanner that unlocks the phone... this year.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 06:18 PM
    Touch ID does not store an image of your fingerprint. The chip in the sensor converts your fingerprint into a hash that is stored for future comparison. So, nobody can acquire an image of your fingerprint from the process. My iPhone is pretty secure since it is always locked, now, when I'm not using it. Yes, I'm still vulnerable to all sorts of things being done to me when I'm fast asleep - I haven't been able to mitigate that risk.
    03-02-14 06:50 PM
43 12