Hey Everyone!

Here’s some backstory really quick. I was a BB user from back in the day, however a few years ago I moved over to Apple’s ecosystem. (I know..) My iPhone is now broken so I’m going back to what I once loved..

Now, I was able to pick up a Q20 for a really good price, plus I got the OE Blackberry dock and case for it. I’m having a hard time finding a carrier that will support the phone. It’s apparently GDMA, but I’m not too sure. Those “Check Compatibility“ pages on the carrier’s websites always come up with “Unfortunately, this device is not supported.” Even though I see people with them working.

Before you comment.. I know your probably gonna say: “Why don’t you get a Key2 or a KeyOne?” Short answer is that the keyboard is too small for my kielbasa fingers.
    12-14-19 09:41 PM
    Hey Everyone!

Here’s some backstory really quick. I was a BB user from back in the day, however a few years ago I moved over to Apple’s ecosystem. (I know..) My iPhone is now broken so I’m going back to what I once loved..

Now, I was able to pick up a Q20 for a really good price, plus I got the OE Blackberry dock and case for it. I’m having a hard time finding a carrier that will support the phone. It’s apparently GDMA, but I’m not too sure. Those “Check Compatibility“ pages on the carrier’s websites always come up with “Unfortunately, this device is not supported.” Even though I see people with them working.

Before you comment.. I know your probably gonna say: “Why don’t you get a Key2 or a KeyOne?” Short answer is that the keyboard is too small for my kielbasa fingers.
    Welcome to CB!

You'll probably need to share which country you're located in for optimal results...

Not that I really care, but the Classic definitely doesn't have a bigger keyboard than the Key2 - you'll need to think of something better than that.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-14-19 10:01 PM
    Hey Everyone!

Welcome to CrackBerry. Post early and post often!!!
    12-14-19 10:14 PM
    I had a buddy with a KeyOne and that keyboard was too small. Is the Key2 board bigger than the KeyOne?

Also, I’m in the United States, specifically the Southeast.
    12-14-19 10:30 PM
    I had a buddy with a KeyOne and that keyboard was too small. Is the Key2 board bigger than the KeyOne?

Yes the KEY2 keyboard is bigger than the KEYone. It's much more comfortable and has a matte finish, and also the KEY2 weighs 12g less than the KEYone so that helps in comfort as well.

The KEYone is still a great phone to type on, but the KEY2 is just better
    12-14-19 11:19 PM

20% bigger keys.

Btw, what is the model of the Classic you have (settings, about)?
    Last edited by conite; 12-15-19 at 09:44 AM.
    12-15-19 09:04 AM
    20% bigger keys.

Btw, what is the model of the Classic you have (settings, about)?
    BlackBerry Classic - SQC100-3

I believe it’s Verizon locked, but I’m not too sure.
    12-15-19 11:23 AM
    BlackBerry Classic - SQC100-3

I believe it’s Verizon locked, but I’m not too sure.
    The -3 is indeed the CDMA model, and would be locked to Verizon. It was never made available to Sprint - nor can it be made to work.
    12-15-19 12:42 PM
    The -3 is indeed the CDMA model, and would be locked to Verizon. It was never made available to Sprint - nor can it be made to work.
    Though, as a WiFi device, it's still useful for everything an unlocked Classic is except for phone calls and SMS. That's a pretty specialized use case, but it's not a complete brick.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-15-19 01:14 PM

Verizon will no longer activate phones that don't fully support its VoLTE, as they will be turning off CDMA shortly which will cause those older, incompatible phones to no longer be able to make or receive phone calls.

AT&T, and perhaps T-Mobile, are the only carriers that will still activate BB10 phones anymore, and not even all models. It was only a matter of time before network changes forced those devices into incompatibility...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-18-19 06:31 PM
    Verizon will no longer activate phones that don't fully support its VoLTE, as they will be turning off CDMA shortly which will cause those older, incompatible phones to no longer be able to make or receive phone calls.

AT&T, and perhaps T-Mobile, are the only carriers that will still activate BB10 phones anymore, and not even all models. It was only a matter of time before network changes forced those devices into incompatibility...

Tory,

What is your best guess on what type of runway we have with BlackBerry 10 devices for calls and texts on most networks in North America?? I'm on Freedom Mobile in Canada and most Canadian carriers have plans for 3G shut down in 3-5 years. Do you think carriers will reposition bands to support 4G calls?

I'm not the most technical person so I am not sure how much longer we got for calls and texts on most networks.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-15-20 01:28 AM
    In Europe is a bit better situation. In my country, we got 4G only few months ago, so I am good for a few more years.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-20 04:28 AM
    Tory,

What is your best guess on what type of runway we have with BlackBerry 10 devices for calls and texts on most networks in North America?? I'm on Freedom Mobile in Canada and most Canadian carriers have plans for 3G shut down in 3-5 years. Do you think carriers will reposition bands to support 4G calls?

I'm not the most technical person so I am not sure how much longer we got for calls and texts on most networks.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    For the US, AT&T is going to be the last carrier standing with 3G, and it doesn't officially end until next year, though they've been transitioning towers off of 3G for a year already, so existing coverage will get steadily worse until then. Canada typically runs a year or two behind the US, but you'd have to check with the Canadian Big-3 to see what their specific plans are. I'd guess there's still 2 years or so for Canada. And of course that will vary around the world, as countries push out 5G and decommission 3G.

As far as carriers re-using frequencies for 4G calling, that may happen in some cases, but it's more likely that those frequencies will be used for 5G rollouts in most territories. The other thing is that the carriers have to support VoLTE on a specific band in order for it to work, and it's unlikely that carriers will shuffle that around because it would affect a lot of infrastructure. Frequency usage plans are usually made about 5 years in advance, given the lead time for equipment and for that equipment to be installed on tens of thousands of PoPs across the country, and the fact that these plans have to be coordinated with cellular equipment manufacturers - and not just phones, but every other device that can access the network. With IoT, that number is going to grow exponentially.
    01-15-20 09:31 PM