OP is right.
    Having 3 GB RAM isn't crazy now a days - it's the reality. I need RAM RAM RAM so I can open as many tabs I want in the Browser while running 8 apps. I don't need Passport's weight and volume though.

Q10 will be 2 years old in March if I am not mistaken and BlackBerry doesn't deliver an upgrade by then they totally lost it.

Classic is a step a side from the Q10, not a step forward. It's also way too late.

Posted via CB10
    Q10 may be 2 years old, but these specs were out in the Galaxy S3 that came out the year before. So really, the specs will almost be 3 years old once the Classic comes out. And in terms of technology that is an eternity...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-02-14 09:22 AM
    The fact is, a phone used purely for communication and only running bb10 apps doesn't need more than q10 specs but that's only part of the market for this phone. That's why two models are needed.

Of course, if the passport continues to do well and the classic sells well, hopefully we will see more and more native apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:05 PM
    I don't get why ALL phone manufacturers don't put more ram in their phones? Its virtually standard in a PC to have 6-8 Gb minimum, and I run 16Gb in my Macbook Pro. Just don't get why a phone should be stuck at 2Gb when it's so cheap.
    Because everybody is cheap now a days. There is no innovation any more. The devices get cheaper and cheaper to manufacture.

First they took our keyboards away, then they made the navigation button not a button (so called resistive touch) and finally we don't even have buttons at all. What does this tell you? Savings, huge savings and less warranty claims.

And I think today's market needs devices that fall into "power user" segment, just like there is a Porsche Design and Vertu.

Hopefully project Ara will bring some fresh air but I doubt it. Everything that Google makes that seems cheap or free is actually very expensive but we don't realize it.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:35 PM
    What is project Ara?
    It's this modular phone idea. I could have sworn it was someone else who was talking about that. Wonder if Google bought the idea from that guy. Anyway, supposedly it is so you can "customize" the phone to how you like it, but from what I've seen, it's just all slabs of glass. So not so "custom" afterall. You can "customize" to exactly how you like it as long as you like it to be all-touch like all the other cool kids...

Edit: After reading about it, apparently there should be an option for a keyboard, but none of the pictures show it...
    11-02-14 10:19 PM
    Oh thanks. Thought was a BBRY device in the pipeline. Sounds interesting.
    Eh, still runs Android... Nothing against it or people who like it, but it's not my cup of tea.
    11-02-14 10:46 PM
    I know this is going slightly Offtopic but with regards to making things cheaper but removing the buttons.

Think about hard drives, they brought out Solid State drives so there are less components that can break. Which means less claims. They might be more expensive but the principal is still there.

For me, I use a phone for Texting, Calling, E-mail and browsing the web. So for me I don't mind what the specs are, provided I don't experience any lag.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3247
    11-03-14 03:59 AM
    The specs of the Q20 aren't finalized yet are they? I don't find anything on RIM's official website for specs yet, so they could be subject to change. Maybe they will increase the 2GB of RAM to the 4GB minimum, provide a quadcore CPU, and make this release a premium phone instead of a grocery store special that would expect to find near the checkout isle. Surely it didn't take them 2 years to add a Toolbelt to a Q10, so there's still hope. What would be the point of that when it's nearly 2015, lol? If RIM makes another booboo, just vote with your wallet and hold out for the Blackberry Classic v2 with modern 2014 specs that should be available by say 2016.
    11-03-14 05:06 AM
    Well I am hoping against hope that they delayed the launch by a month because they decided to improve the specifications
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-03-14 05:28 AM
    Well I am hoping against hope that they delayed the launch by a month because they decided to improve the specifications
    Me too.
    But I still think it will have z30 specs

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:09 AM
    Don't need high specs because BlackBerry 10 runs smooth on lower hardware compared to Android.

But I DO need contemporary specs. Need decent camera to make quality shots as much or better than iPhone, need a powerful GPU and CPU to run apps and games smoothly. Might need waterproofing or might need better WiFi reception. They just have to be contemporary

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:54 AM
    For me, I use a phone for Texting, Calling, E-mail and browsing the web. So for me I don't mind what the specs are, provided I don't experience any lag.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3247[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
    11-03-14 02:11 PM
    I am wary of the Classic. Remember the Playbook debacle!

The Playbook was euthanized before its time because it didn't have the specs required for an OS update. I have still not gotten over that. I won't be laying out full price for any BlackBerry hardware that doesn't have 'next-gen' specs.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-03-14 02:50 PM
    It's getting really old hearing people say that the classic is for people who don't care about specs.

Well, sure, many of us don't care about specs as far as bragging rights go. I don't care if the latest Samsung has a faster cpu etc.

However, I do carr about having specs that are enough to give me a great experience with BB10.

That is why if I have to pay $399 to "upgrade" from a 1.5 to another 1.5, I will be very disappointed.
    Sure,my z10 runs pretty well now, but it's getting outdated and Andriod apps could use a little more power.

So,I don't care about being able to brag that my phone is the fastest there is for two months until something better comes out.
    I do care about making a two year commitment that my phone will still be viable after several OS updates.

Posted via CB10
    You will have this problem forever. Clock speed won't increase much, but MIPS (millions of instructions per second) will . That has been the case the last 10 years.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 02:54 PM
    If the classic is just a q10 with a tool belt then I fear bb has made a mistake. Having z30 specs should be the minimum.

Isn't that exactly what it is pretty much???
    I thought I read months and months ago that the specs where essentially a q10, repackaged and given new paint job
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-03-14 04:21 PM
    Isn't that exactly what it is pretty much???
    I thought I read months and months ago that the specs where essentially a q10, repackaged and given new paint job
    Surely it didn't take them 2 years to add a Toolbelt to a Q10, so there's still hope. What would be the point of that when it's nearly 2015, lol? If RIM makes another booboo, just vote with your wallet and hold out for the Blackberry Classic v2 with modern 2014 specs that should be available by say 2016. What a nasty paradox that would be.
    11-03-14 04:53 PM
    Surely it didn't take them 2 years to add a Toolbelt to a Q10, so there's still hope. What would be the point of that when it's nearly 2015, lol? If RIM makes another booboo, just vote with your wallet and hold out for the Blackberry Classic v2 with modern 2014 specs that should be available by say 2016. What a nasty paradox that would be.
    I agree "vote with your wallet".

I have been hollering for MORE RAM since day one. Two (2) RAM today is no good tomorrow. You can never have enough RAM and Z30 spec is yesterdays specs.

Oh.....they're adding a tool belt to a Q10 and it takes 2 years? ROFL

Typing this post from my 9900 with a tool belt.

Thanks guys you made my day.
    11-04-14 12:58 AM
    I don't get why ALL phone manufacturers don't put more ram in their phones? Its virtually standard in a PC to have 6-8 Gb minimum, and I run 16Gb in my Macbook Pro. Just don't get why a phone should be stuck at 2Gb when it's so cheap.
    Can't totally compare phone components to PC ones since miniaturization and optimizations required (battery saving etc) makes the phone parts more expensive on a spec vs spec basis. Not to mention the price effects of limited supply in the hot mobile market for higher end parts vs. A likely glut of parts at time in the PC market. My guesses.
    11-04-14 01:17 AM

Here are reasons off the top of my head for why manufacturers don't willy nilly add more RAM:

1. Takes more PCB real estate
    2. Parts forecast availability may be months or year in advance
    3. Uses more power and generates more heat
    4. Adds cost to BOM
    5. Not always needed, doesn't have high return on 'investment'
    6. They cannot buy RAM off the shelf from anyone, there is a parts qualification involved

Phones are not PC's.
    11-04-14 01:47 AM
    5. Not always needed, doesn't have high return on 'investment'
    Seems likely. After all while some power users would benefit the majority of normal users tend to under utilize top spec hardware.
    11-04-14 02:05 AM
    I rarely go over 1.5 GB used so I don't think having more than 2 GB is needed for a mid tier phone.

The Classic needs to be better than a q10 but not necessarily Passport specs.

Also, that's silly that PCs come with a minimum of 6-8 GB RAM.

Dell just intro'd a new full Windows tablet with 1 GB.

Most mainstream laptops come with 4 GB these days. Windows tablet usually just have two.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 12:10 PM
    What is the point? the Iphone has 1GB and beat all phone in benchmark tests..
    11-04-14 12:51 PM
    I rarely go over 1.5 GB used so I don't think having more than 2 GB is needed for a mid tier phone.

The Classic needs to be better than a q10 but not necessarily Passport specs.

Also, that's silly that PCs come with a minimum of 6-8 GB RAM.

Dell just intro'd a new full Windows tablet with 1 GB.

Most mainstream laptops come with 4 GB these days. Windows tablet usually just have two.

Posted via CB10
    I have 8GB of RAM in my PC and wouldn't mind 16GB, but I also game on it so...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-04-14 01:32 PM
    What is the point? the Iphone has 1GB and beat all phone in benchmark tests..
    "According to Business Korea, Apple opted to use triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash storage in the iPhone 6 Plus to save costs over multi-level cell (MLC) NAND flash storage that’s used in other iPhone models. The problem, Business Korea explained, is that while TLC can store more data, it’s also slower and less stable than the other options available, which may be one reason why the iPhone 6 Plus with 128GB of storage crashes. The site also points to known problems with the controller IC, or integrated circuit, that has also been recognized in Samsung SSD products that use the same NAND flash."
    11-04-14 03:43 PM
    I don't care what the specs are so long as the phone is 100% lag free with lots of apps, files and browser tabs open.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-14 05:14 PM
    You will have this problem forever. Clock speed won't increase much, but MIPS (millions of instructions per second) will . That has been the case the last 10 years.

Posted via CB10
    I understand. I don't care about higher clock speeds. But this is the same cpu that is rumored for the classic.
    If it was an all new design, I don't care what the speed is.

The iPhone 6 is a 1.4 if I recall.

New iMacs have as low as a 1.4 in a desktop.

It just needs to be demonstrably faster than the previous generation to justify the expense.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:53 PM
57 123