It's getting really old hearing people say that the classic is for people who don't care about specs.

Well, sure, many of us don't care about specs as far as bragging rights go. I don't care if the latest Samsung has a faster cpu etc.

However, I do carr about having specs that are enough to give me a great experience with BB10.

That is why if I have to pay $399 to "upgrade" from a 1.5 to another 1.5, I will be very disappointed.
    Sure,my z10 runs pretty well now, but it's getting outdated and Andriod apps could use a little more power.

So,I don't care about being able to brag that my phone is the fastest there is for two months until something better comes out.
    I do care about making a two year commitment that my phone will still be viable after several OS updates.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:18 PM
    Just an FYI -- the 10.3.1.1016 that's just out has done wonders for my Z10. It's like a new device. Android apps are running well. This might mae it easier for you to hold off until a new device that suits your tastes and requirements hits the scene. 10.3.1.xxxx, when it drops, may be enough to tide you over. Or you might check out the leak, if you're feeling adventurous.
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-31-14 05:37 PM
    yes. Better specs are needed the OS runs well on Z10 overall but still lags here and there. In fact, it lags A LOT with Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:38 PM
    I was thinking I might do the new update tonight.
    Did you happen to do a back up and restore from 10.3.0?
    I just did a leak a couple of weeks ago and wiped my phone. This time I would like to restore if I can.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:42 PM
    I do agree. Specs aren't everything.

Specs tend to be what android fan boys love to talk about.

Take for example apple's iPhone camera. It is one of the most amazing phone cameras i have used and yet it has been capped at 8 megapixels (something that android fan boys love to pick on yet they have no idea what they are talking about).

The specs of the phone need to be married with the applications so they are run at optimum.

If apps are lagging then blackberry isn't doing a very good job marrying specs with app needs.

for the most part my Q10 runs flawlessly with the native apps.... instagram on the other hand is an entirely different story.
    AndyYNWA likes this.
    10-31-14 06:20 PM
    Yea I would love a future proofed classic as well.

Posted via CB/Q10
    10-31-14 06:51 PM
    I was thinking I might do the new update tonight.
    Did you happen to do a back up and restore from 10.3.0?
    I just did a leak a couple of weeks ago and wiped my phone. This time I would like to restore if I can.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, just download BlackBerry Link program on your computer and connect your BlackBerry to it by usb--it has a one-button backup process. Very easy.

From a Z30
    10-31-14 07:21 PM
    yes. Better specs are needed the OS runs well on Z10 overall but still lags here and there. In fact, it lags A LOT with Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Not a function of specs, but rather the fact that we're effectively running an android vm over top an existing os.

A more powerful processor wouldn't hurt, but I don't think that's the solution in the case of android apps.
    10-31-14 07:23 PM
    Totally agree. Nobody wants to pay for a new phone, the upgrade fee, renew true contract and all for a phone with marginally different but not better specs.

I'm with you - I want an upgrade but don't need bragging rights over every phone ever made.
    I'm in the same boat. I don't need a Snapdragon 801 or the new 805. An 800 or even a quad core S4 Pro would be nice (yes I know the S4 pro is in the Z30 but it's the dual core variant).
    11-01-14 02:44 AM
    It's not all about specs but keep in mind people are buying phones to last a for some time. So releasing a phone with already outdated specs doesn't bold well for the future. Note, I'm not talking about having a "state of the art phone" because that would mean updating every ~6 months.

But there is a huge differense in terms of performance, battery life between a S800 and a S805 (probably the best smartphone chip you can buy right now). Yes, the Classich as to push less pixels but it also needs to be powerful enough to not lag as Android apps keep increasing in functionality.

My personal believe is, the Classic could have been so much more classic, built as a premium device with at least somewhat better specs.
    11-01-14 05:52 AM
    Cartman, I agree.

I still think a low end and high end would have been the way to go.

For the people upgrading from a Bold, a person who doesn't care about Android apps, the low end would be fine. Also, for a person coming from a 9900, there's no that they aren't about keeping up with the latest specs.

But then there are those of us who were bb10 early adopters that got a taste of the power of BB10 but miss some classic features, I think a higher end version would be good.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:02 AM
    Also, for a person coming from a 9900, there's no that they aren't about keeping up with the latest specs.
    Really? Anyone who cares about specs ditched their 9900 years ago. I think it's the exact opposite.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    11-01-14 11:31 AM
    Specs are important for the long term support of the device.

Os improvements tend to require more power, so getting a device that is spec'd just enough for right now doesn't show confidence for the device for the long haul.

If specs don't matter than everyone should be using 8310 curves. People assume business device don't need games or tons of apps therefore specs aren't an issue. The reality is that it does. Business apps can be just as dependent on specs like games.

If the classic is just a q10 with a tool belt then I fear bb has made a mistake. Having z30 specs should be the minimum.
    11-01-14 12:38 PM
    Cartman, I agree.

I still think a low end and high end would have been the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the way they released both the Q5 and the Q10. I like that idea a lot. As far as worrying about the specs though, I couldn't be happier with my Q10. I find my experience to be very smooth and I'm not sure how upping the cores or increasing the pixel density is going to improve my experience with the phone. Adding a bit bigger screen and the tool belt will improve my experience though and that's what I'm excited for.

I'm excited for the classic because it's the phone I was waiting for and expected when they first announced BB10 phones. I wish they would have released the classic first and then released the Q10 except with a touch capasitive key board like the Passport. I guess we'll just have to see what BB has in store for us in the future.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    11-01-14 01:28 PM
    Specs only matters when the device in question under performs due to hardware defficiencies.... other that.. "Specs do not matter"!!!!
    11-01-14 01:33 PM
    Specs only matters when the device in question under performs due to hardware defficiencies.... other that.. "Specs do not matter"!!!!
    That true if you're ok with the OS to just stay stagnant and never evolve to include more advanced functions that wouldn't run on current hardware...

I like the interface of BB10 but every 2 months I hear about some new feature on the Androids and iphones, but with BB10, it's still just the same...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-01-14 02:04 PM
    Really? Anyone who cares about specs ditched their 9900 years ago. I think it's the exact opposite.
    That's what I said.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:24 PM
    That's what I said.

Posted via CB10
    Woops, must have misunderstood lol
    11-01-14 05:00 PM
    Woops, must have misunderstood lol
    I think I missed a word that threw you off.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:01 PM
    + 1 your first paragraph.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:22 PM
    Really? I see constant new media on Android and iOS devices, but I don't see new features that didn't exist before, it's just re-hashing old news or features that were's popularly discussed before. For example, 8 months after iOS 7 places like BGR were putting out "the newest features you've never used in iOS7!" and would listed "enabling multitasking gestures, eg pinch inward with five fingers to get back to the home screen (iPad only)". Its just clickbait junk like that which I see get passed around, not brand new features.
    Not saying I actually want these particular features, but what I'm talking about are things like the built-in heartbeat monitor, fingerprint sensor, basic photoshop functions built into the camera app (like the ability to stack multiple photos to create one of those photos that show multiple versions of a person in motion), and other things like that. Again, not saying I want those particular things, but if the hardware never changes, then we'll pretty much be stuck with the same feature-set as we have now...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    11-01-14 07:55 PM
    Thought the built in heartbeat monitor was an Apple Watch feature, not iPhone or iPad? Kinda cool you can send your heartbeat to someone else btw
    Actually think Android phones by Samsung have it...

Edit: I personally don't care for it and don't see a point to it. I exercise until I'm tired, I don't really need to know what my pulse is, and if I did, I know how to take my own pulse in 15 seconds time the old fashioned way. But just giving an example of how the industry keeps moving while BB just kind of sits at a certain spot for a long time before any changes are made...
    11-02-14 01:10 AM
    Not a function of specs, but rather the fact that we're effectively running an android vm over top an existing os.

A more powerful processor wouldn't hurt, but I don't think that's the solution in the case of android apps.
    it is not a solution but a necessary condition. Android phones with Z10 specs do not run Android apps all that smooth really, and it's impossible for BB10 OS to run Android apps more smoothly than an Android phone with the same specs. Therefore, better specs is a necessity. In fact, the Passport performs a lot better than Z10 in terms of opening and running android apps.
    11-02-14 01:54 AM
    It's not all about specs but keep in mind people are buying phones to last a for some time. So releasing a phone with already outdated specs doesn't bold well for the future.

My personal believe is, the Classic could have been so much more classic, built as a premium device with at least somewhat better specs.
    Agree with you 100%

When I purchase any phone I always think about quality and performance since I keep every phone I buy for 3 Years. So if I buy a phone that's a little out of date now. In 3 years time it's turned to stone already lol

My previous phone was a 8520 which had no buttons on the side or top by the time 3 years was up. The phone lagging big time lol. Was counting down the days. Purchased a Q5 since it was similar to my 8520 and that seemed to last quite well.

I have a financial thing that I always live by and I know it won't work for everyone but I believe that if you can't afford 2 of what ever you are buying. It's too expensive for your budge. (Cars, houses excluded) the reason I say this is because.

What happens if you phone gets stolen? What happens if you drop it in the pool. You need to replace it and normally people buy a seriously cheap phone and hold on till their next upgrade comes because they can't afford another one. :P that's why I got a Q5 for $229 because you can always just buy another one since its cheap

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3247
    11-02-14 05:38 AM
    OP is right.
    Having 3 GB RAM isn't crazy now a days - it's the reality. I need RAM RAM RAM so I can open as many tabs I want in the Browser while running 8 apps. I don't need Passport's weight and volume though.

Q10 will be 2 years old in March if I am not mistaken and BlackBerry doesn't deliver an upgrade by then they totally lost it.

Classic is a step a side from the Q10, not a step forward. It's also way too late.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-02-14 07:51 AM
57 123