Its finally official. Blackberry stops Classic production.

SOURCE : BlackBerry to Stop Making Classic Smartphone, Shares Fall - NBC News

Classic is one of the 'VERY' few handsets that I fell in love with. In these days where screens are big, phones are smart and people are dumb Classic was an icon and completely different from the breed. I have been using phones since 2006 and have used almost 50+ different phones.

I can easily say that Classic has always been in the top 5 of my list. In fact top 3.

You don't have to worry about battery. You don't have to show off the big bulge in your pocket. You don't have to use all you hands to use the phone.

A perfect combination of versatility and ease of use.

We'll miss you Classic.
    07-05-16 01:31 PM
    07-05-16 01:37 PM
    Agreed. BlackBerry and JC have been pretty forward about their future plans regarding Android vs. BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-05-16 01:41 PM
    The blue is already gone from shopblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 07:26 PM
    So in the end was this BlackBerry Classic device an overall success for BlackBerry? Yes, no, somewhat??

I purchased mine and I simply love it. It's amazing how quickly I got back to using the trackpad and the physical belt. For whatever reason I am the ADD type guy who is hard on the keys and I repeatedly press the buttons hard so I love having them their for phone calls and such.

I don't know the total sales for the device but it was probably in the 2-3 million range I suspect with whatever remaining stock going to go quickly to loyalists, government and corporate users.

It was initially launched to assist with the transition to BlackBerry 10, get users onto the arguably better, modern and quicker OS and help to save the device business. It was a unique phone in that for every user that BlackBerry converted from BBOS, they lost the Service revenue but the hope was to update and cross sell government and corporate clients value added services.

I will continue to use this phone as long as possible and look forward to many more great times with this device. I had posted in another forum today that I am simply amazed at how much press this particular decision today has gotten. It's not a phone that sold in large numbers and outside of hardcore loyalists, BlackBerry isn't really in the phone business much. Here in Canada it was splashed everywhere that the production had ended.

In any event I have enjoyed mine and have enjoyed the users on this forum who have made it a fun device to use!

Posted via CB10
    outlawglamour and Karan Riar like this.
    07-05-16 07:42 PM
    So in the end was this BlackBerry Classic device an overall success for BlackBerry? Yes, no, somewhat??

Posted via CB10
    I believe the Classic would have been a greater success if they launched it Instead of the Q10 at bb10 initial launch.

Posted via CB10
    danderson146, pgg101 and acovey like this.
    07-05-16 07:49 PM
    I believe the Classic would have been a greater success if they launched it Instead of the Q10 at bb10 initial launch.

Posted via CB10

I also agree it would have given the way the market moved with screen size, battery life etc.

Hindsight is 20/20 but there were so many factors I don't even know where to begin. I loved my time with the Q10 but I recall sitting in my office and having clients come in over and over again with corporate issues BlackBerry Q10's. A lot of people struggled with learning and using them in the proper way. It was a frustrating experience for a lot of users.

I do sometimes wonder if the Playbook wasn't ever launched and the resources from QNX started building BB10 right away and launched in late 2011 as was part of the plan, how BB10 would have fared. Back in 2011 there was still a growing user base and the fianncial's of the company were very strong. Their US market was being hurt but they still had decent market share. I don't know if it would had been a strong come back but even maintaining sales @ 50% of 2011 numbers would have been decent looking back. BlackBerry with 25 million phones a year is still a viable company but at a much smaller scale than the Samsung and Apples of the world.

Ahh well

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-05-16 08:02 PM
    I really hate to see the Classic go, but I am going to order another Classic and Passport to have in my collection. I love the form factor and the hub is really cool for a glance at emails, text and more. Looking on ebay in a few minutes to start ordering. The classic will be missed by many who use it as a daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    kertong, acovey and Avenzuno like this.
    07-05-16 08:10 PM
    I really hate to see the Classic go, but I am going to order another Classic and Passport to have in my collection. I love the form factor and the hub is really cool for a glance at emails, text and more. Looking on ebay in a few minutes to start ordering. The classic will be missed by many who use it as a daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    I will hunt around for a used blue Classic. Always wanted one. It will make a great back up phone.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-05-16 09:24 PM
    I'm going to keep mine for as long as possible.
    I'm doing my best to even stick with BlackBerry and the new Blackberry with the PKB on Android is my only option but that's not till next year. I need something before then when Whats App goes (I use it for about 80% of communications) and really don't like Android or full touch screen phones. And don't even get my started about the keyboard on the Priv.
    I just hope Blackberry don't forget those fans who's always had a PKB!

Posted via CB10 on my Classic
    danderson146 and Avenzuno like this.
    07-06-16 05:59 PM
    The blue is already gone from shopblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    They're sold out already? Glad I bought my Cobalt Blue Classic during the site's holiday sale last New Year's. Now I'm sure it'd be a pretty penny if I wanted to buy another blue one elsewhere.
    07-06-16 06:01 PM
    The Classic was slow, underpowered and had a small screen. And it was expensive for such low specs.
    illlya likes this.
    07-06-16 08:42 PM
    The Classic was slow, underpowered and had a small screen. And it was expensive for such low specs.
    I am a classic user, and I don't find it being slow, under powered, or having a screen to small. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 08:57 PM
    well, its end for all OS 10 devices already..
    07-06-16 09:24 PM
    I am a classic user, and I don't find it being slow, under powered, or having a screen to small. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I had it too and at the time I also didn't mind it. Or at least I told myself that. I soon sold it because there wasn't much I could do with it other than type emails and even that felt better on the SE Passport. But I never was a big fan of physical keyboards...too much effort to depress physical keys. Tapping virtual keys is so much faster and more efficient and made even moreso with BB10's amazing word prediction software.

In any case, I don't mean to start an argument or anything like that. But there's a reason the Classic basically failed. It just wasn't a very good phone. It had hardware from 2012. The toolbelt and trackball were neat but ultimately unnecessary.

Anyway, BB is going into a good direction by going android and abandoning goofy form factors that nobody buys. Hopefully it's not too late.
    07-07-16 07:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes the Classic with BB10 that induced all the familiar keyboard shortcuts... would have been better received in 2013 by those coming from BBOS. But at the end of 2014 they only ones buying a BB10 device were hardcore fans and a very few niche enterprise users. Most of the fans didn't see the Classic as an upgrade (as it was the same hardware), so they either stuck with their Q10, went with the bulker Passport or they just moved on....

In the end I don't think the that form factor mattered all that much anymore....
    DeliFresser likes this.
    07-07-16 11:16 AM
    I have been using phones since 2006 and have used almost 50+ different phones.
    That's excessive. How much did you spend on those 10 phones per year?

Also, "almost 50+"? Which is it, almost 50, or more than 50?
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-07-16 12:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    I concur, though I was coming from a Z30 to the Classic. I now type more slowly, but more accurately. The hardware slowness doesn't really matter to me, and here's why. My overall user experience is better because of not only the Classic's PKB, but also the toolbelt. Swiping and otherwise spending more time interacting with the screen slows me down. I noticed this when I rested my Z30 in favor of a Q10. I found myself clicking on a toolbelt that did not exist, and resorting to swiping up screen and clicking on tiny buttons to close windows. That is why in my view the Classic was the best overall BB10 device purely in terms of user experience.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    acovey likes this.
    07-07-16 12:51 PM
    Should be a great phone a Classic 2. The same form factors of classic but the same hardware of passport. Wow.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    07-07-16 02:50 PM
    Mine isn't slow,isn't under powered and the small screen is in proportion to the phone to fit the wonderful keyboard.
    It all depends what you need it for and people complain about the Classic when the fact is they didn't really understand what the Classic was built for.
    The Nokia 3210 had low specs and I'm sure no one would say that phone was slow if they used it now.

Posted via CB10 on my Classic
    kertong likes this.
    07-07-16 03:27 PM
    After the Q10 (which was my first BB phone) the classic was really amazing to use for me. Touchpad and toolbelt are absolutely a feature I will be missing in future devices (1-Handed use!!!). I think if Classic would have had a little bit more power and the Android App integration worked a little bit better: Best phone for my needs. Sad to see it go. Sad to lose BB10.

Q10 had just a better feeling for me. So lightweight and it looked kinda really nice. I think Classic was a free upgrade low-mid device with my Contract (germany). I never regretted the decision.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno and Hans im Glueck like this.
    07-07-16 05:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    This has been the problem with all of BlackBerry's hardware of late. The Z30 and Classic should have been the first devices out of the gate as opposed to the Z10 and Q10. Even the Passport Silver Edition should have been the device that launched that form factor just because of the improved ergonomics of it.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-07-16 06:55 PM
    Is this the end of keyboard + physical belt combo?
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-07-16 08:15 PM
    BlackBerry said the keyboard is here to stay. :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 08:38 PM
    BlackBerry said the keyboard is here to stay. :-)

Posted via CB10
    First off, I'll believe it when I see it. And second, what about the iconic BlackBerry toolbelt? The Classic's likely the final BlackBerry device to have one.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    Last edited by Avenzuno; 07-09-16 at 02:11 PM.
    07-08-16 12:00 AM
69 123