I was extremely happy that BlackBerry added the tool belt to the Classic, but the end button is completely useless. It's annoying when I'm trying to hang up when I'm outside of the phone application because hitting the end button just brings you back to the phone call, and then, after you press it a couple more times, it ends the calls. It's also annoying that you can't end a call when you're phone screen is locked. I really wish BlackBerry would make it so pressing the end button would be the equivalent of shutting the face of a flip phone. That is all.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    06-10-15 02:20 AM
    Arguable on the reasoning for it as mentioned in several other threads. - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...pushes-984810/

It's a religious debate of epic proportions...on one hand you had people accidentally hanging up phone calls a lot on BBOS (wooooops!) because of the single key press when they were attempting to multi-task, and on the other hand you have a second key press, but some assurance you're not going to accidentally kill the call...

Posted via CB10
    But yeah, if I used my Classic all the time that would be annoying.
    06-10-15 02:25 AM
    I was extremely happy that BlackBerry added the tool belt to the Classic, but the end button is completely useless. It's annoying when I'm trying to hang up when I'm outside of the phone application because hitting the end button just brings you back to the phone call, and then, after you press it a couple more times, it ends the calls. It's also annoying that you can't end a call when you're phone screen is locked. I really wish BlackBerry would make it so pressing the end button would be the equivalent of shutting the face of a flip phone. That is all.

Once in the phone app, you should only need to press it once. It might take a few seconds for the call to actually disconnect, the extra presses you're doing is not necessary. Try it out, call yourself from your home phone, press it once to bring it back to the phone app, then press it once more and just wait and you'll see that the call will end...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    06-10-15 06:48 AM

but it's basically the "Home" button, so it isn't useless. I think that specifically for the phone app and multitasking while in a call, it's not intuitive. At the same time, it's not often that I need to do that. I just have to remember that to minimize the phone app you hit the back button and not the end call button.
    06-10-15 08:28 AM
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

The entire tool belt is pointless on a BB10 device.
    06-10-15 08:38 AM
    I do think hard buttons should overwrite the many "touch" based failsafe things that are built in to bb10.

The most annoying thing for me is pressing hangup (bluetooth) or other end hangs up and the darn thing has to goto the phone app and end.. I am like who cares! Just stay in the app I am in

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 09:03 AM

I like the track pad and back button, but the end button makes me upset.

donemt and ErnstMach like this.
    06-10-15 09:03 AM
    I understand your points, I just want the end button to abruptly end the call is all. I haven't tried it on my 9930, but I feel like that's how it was. That's what the lock button does on the iPhone.

mdmullis likes this.
    06-10-15 09:05 AM
    Arguable on the reasoning for it as mentioned in several other threads. - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...pushes-984810/

But yeah, if I used my Classic all the time that would be annoying.
    Thanks a lot. I read some posts in the thread above and gained some understanding of the end button's purpose. It makes sense that you have to press it a couple of times to make sure you don't accidentally hand up on a person, but they should allow a settings option for those who don't accidentally hang up on people. I think the iPhone lock button is annoying because it doesn't give you the option to not end calls, but I do like the fact that it does end the call whenever you press the button, which is what an end button is supposed to do, in my opinion.

06-10-15 09:48 AM
    I understand your points, I just want the end button to abruptly end the call is all. I haven't tried it on my 9930, but I feel like that's how it was. That's what the lock button does on the iPhone.

This should be a toggled setting in the phone app. Problem solved for everyone.

The End-key is why I always wanted the Classic. So far I've just been unimpressed with its implementation. That and the whole toolbelt's implementation really. It's not quite right. And the non-island keys that resemble a screen are pretty much the worst physical buttons ever designed.

An improved touch keyboard and a physical end key would be the ideal combination for me. Cursor placement that doesn't get in the way of a gesture-based BB10 and a good end call key for gtd efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:43 AM

Just because you haven't figured out how to make effective use of it isn't the toolbelt's fault.

ErnstMach and Denny_Crane like this.
    06-10-15 12:03 PM

It's not the button's fault though. If you use a Q10 and use the software button to end the call, the same delay is there. It's an OS issue if it is one...

06-10-15 12:04 PM
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret: The entire tool belt is pointless on a BB10 device.
    This exactly. The toolbelt was made before touchscreen phones became popular. Every BB10 device, except Classic, has no toolbelt and works perfectly. It's just there to lure in the Bold users who can't quite let go.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    06-10-15 12:15 PM
    I haven't used the new Classic but I know I used to spam the End Call button to try to end a call.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 12:19 PM
    This exactly. The toolbelt was made before touchscreen phones became popular. Every BB10 device, except Classic, has no toolbelt and works perfectly. It's just there to lure in the Bold users who can't quite let go.

or those users who would rather not have to touch or look at their screens to perform simple actions.
    06-10-15 12:28 PM
    "...has no toolbelt and works perfectly..."

That's the wrongest thing I've read all day.
    06-10-15 12:41 PM
    It's not the button's fault though. If you use a Q10 and use the software button to end the call, the same delay is there. It's an OS issue if it is one...

It funny that you mentioned this. That's the whole reason I switched from the Q10 to the Classic. See my point now?

06-10-15 01:36 PM

And here I was, really liking the toolbelt, finding it very useful. I also love the Classic way more than the Z10 I had.

.... but then again I must be wrong as " It's just there to lure in the Bold users who can't quite let go" ... Thanks for letting me know.

Posted via CB10
    ErnstMach likes this.
    06-10-15 01:44 PM
    This should be a toggled setting in the phone app. Problem solved for everyone.

The End-key is why I always wanted the Classic. So far I've just been unimpressed with its implementation. That and the whole toolbelt's implementation really. It's not quite right. And the non-island keys that resemble a screen are pretty much the worst physical buttons ever designed.

An improved touch keyboard and a physical end key would be the ideal combination for me. Cursor placement that doesn't get in the way of a gesture-based BB10 and a good end call key for gtd efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    This is all I want. The lock button is perfect as an end button, but it's annoying when you forget that you can't lock your phone during a call unless it's on speaker phone, especially when you switch back and forth between devices since you can use your lock button to lock your screen on both Android and BlackBerry devices. I would just leave my phone unlocked so I only have to hit my end button 7 times instead of 12, but if I don't, I accidentally mute myself, hold the call, or call people, ect.

06-10-15 01:59 PM
    or those users who would rather not have to touch or look at their screens to perform simple actions.
    Exactly, too many ignorant people now who believe in the "newer has to be better" philosophy. Good luck being able to operate everything easily and quickly one-handed and sometimes without looking at the phone... It drove me nuts with my Q10 having to look at my phone even to do the simplest things that I can do now while putting my phone away or whatever...

06-10-15 02:27 PM
    The toolbelt is the best thing ever.
    Stop hating.
    Not every new "invention" makes old one obsolete.

Last edited by Hulk123; 06-11-15 at 02:04 AM.
    06-10-15 02:45 PM

Your opinion isn't my fact. Love the tool belt.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann and slagman5 like this.
    06-10-15 02:47 PM
    Ok, I'll buy that you have to press the End Call button TWICE to end a call... to prevent accidentally ending calls while multitasking. That's the ONLY compelling reason I've ever seen for having to press the button twice. Now that there is a dedicated power button on BB10 devices, the End Call button shouldn't replicate the BBOS functionality, so a long press on the call end button could end a call no matter whether the device is locked irrelevant to what is displayed on the screen... accidental long presses are very rare.

...and by long, I mean held down for one second, not three or four.

User interface components (which includes physical buttons) that do only one thing, and are always available to do that one thing, are useful in some contexts, as anyone who has tried to hang up a call on a full-slab device having to navigate back to the phone app to hit the call end button can attest. Having to stop and and look at and manipulate the screen just to hang up a call on what is by definition a "phone"? It leads me to ask "how do you people live like this?" but unfortunately I'm forced to live like this because I don't want a tiny low-res screen on my daily driver.

It's not that it's actually that hard to hang up a call on a full slab device... it's just the act of doing so reminds me how great it is to actually have it, which makes its absence sting that much more.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 06-10-15 at 03:01 PM.
    zyxxiforr likes this.
    06-10-15 02:50 PM
    The BB10 toolbelt would have a lot more fans if it had island keys and a larger trackpad. BlackBerry just halfassed the Classic is all (and I'm saying this with a Classic arriving on my doorstep tomorrow).

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 03:14 PM
    It funny that you mentioned this. That's the whole reason I switched from the Q10 to the Classic. See my point now?

No argument there. But the point is, it doesn't require multiple button presses and isn't the fault of the button itself like the post kind of implies...

06-10-15 03:29 PM
95 123 ...