Hi all.

I'm new to the Classic forum, although I have had several BBs and have posted to a number of forums.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a Classic while they're still available. I love it except for one thing - the audio in the earpiece when using the phone seems to overload and distort. The signal level appears to be too high, as I have to set at it's lowest level and it still peak distorts. It's good when using the speaker. No volume settings I use will correct it.

I'm not sure if the problem is too high a volume level or a physical defect in the tiny speaker. I've done some forum searches but haven't found a definitive answer. Other people seem to have had the same problem on Classics and earlier models. Some think it's a software problem and others that it's the speaker.

Anybody have any more insight into this? I'd hate to take the phone apart only to find there is some other option. If I did attempt to replace the speaker does anybody have any idea where I might be able to get one, short of buying another phone to scavenge just the speaker?

03-31-17 10:04 PM
    I can't help unfortunately, but I'm wondering if you've run BBVE on it to see if anything shows up. BlackBerry virtual expert is one of your embedded apps. ๐Ÿ˜€
    04-01-17 11:30 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that. I'll post what the results are.
    04-02-17 08:52 AM
    Did the audio tests with BBVE and found there is a defect in the unit. The headphone jack doesn't work at all, in fact it won't even sense when the headphones are plugged in. I got it off Amazon.ca and have contacted the seller. Thanks again for the tip about BBVE. I rarely use the phone with it up to my ear, I usually either use the speaker phone or a bluetooth earpiece. Also I was planning on keeping my music on my Priv so it might have been a while before I plugged in a headset and clued in that there was a real problem on the Classic.
    04-02-17 11:46 AM
    Just curios, did you test the phone using the BlackBerry headphones? It shouldn't matter, just curious.

Also, did you try the 32 second re-set? Hold the power button down for 32 seconds, it's the equivalent of a battery pull. Time it.
    04-02-17 02:56 PM
    Hey, guess what - the 32 second power off "battery pull" worked! Headphones and audio now work OK. Btw I was using Bose earbuds. I knew that shouldn't have been the problem because I use them on other BBs. Saves me sending them back. Thanks again.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    04-02-17 05:02 PM
    BBVE and 32 sec power push sorts lotsa stuff, lol ๐Ÿ˜€
    04-02-17 05:45 PM
    Hello all,

here weird problem: Classic 10.3.2 and original BB basic earbuds.

Suddenly it happened that:
    • with BB earbuds plugged in, I ear very very very low only from one side
    • with other earbuds plugged in everything works fine
    • BB earbuds on other devices they work fine!!!

Any idea? Thanks!
    05-03-17 09:26 AM