Anyone else wonder if the Classic has a latent design flaw? Love it but just had to replace it (with another Classic b/c I love the old school style and am praying this one is OK and stays OK) b/c it started acting up on its own, like possessed, and became un-usuable.

By this, I mean that it starts opening and closing apps on its own, opening the Hub and starting text messages, BBMs and making calls, and jumping around as if it is being swiped at warp speed. There have been NUMEROUS posts and questions about Classics doing this all over this site but they have never been adequately answered so no one has any idea what the actual cause is and whether it can be corrected or not. There are even posts on YouTube where people have been able to post video of their device as it does this crazy stuff, and a Google search shows people asking about it all over the internet.

Seems like this same issue has been reported all over the place. Maybe that's why they stopped making them? No one could give a real answer as to the cause and good luck trying to even talk to a person at BB f/k/a/ RIM. I heard every theory imaginable...from bad chargers to humidity to sunlight to software updates to digitizer, etc... Fact is, the problem kicked in after about a year and a half on a pampered phone that was never dropped or wet or anything like that. It happened no matter what the environment. I'm thinking a latent design flaw. I wonder if that's a reason why they are not making them anymore.
    Last edited by BbClassic; 07-25-16 at 02:56 PM.
    nicu oancia likes this.
    07-25-16 11:49 AM
    A latent design flaw would likely come down to a hardware issue, which wouldn't be a reason to stop manufacturing a device. There are always hardware revisions that get made during the course of a product's life cycle, so that even if one batch of handsets had bad components, another batch would have updated components to resolve the issue. Just because two devices (of any type) look identical externally, there may be parts inside that differ very slightly, to completely rebuilt. The manufacturing process isn't static.

If a contract manufacturer was at fault, it would be up to them to fix the issue in a newer hardware revision.
    If BlackBerry was at fault from their specs, they would send updated specs to the manufacturer.

What's the issue with your handset anyway? You're not really clear on the issue...
    07-25-16 12:15 PM
    I updated my post to give more info since you asked. Thanks
    07-25-16 02:57 PM
    Really? Give us a link, I've never heard of this problem before where it opens the HUB and starts texting on its own.

#whatisclassic
    07-25-16 03:09 PM
    I have had a Classic for a year and never had issues even remotely like that.
    07-25-16 03:24 PM
    And if you had told me about this problem about a year into my Classic, I'd have thought and said the same thing. When it happens though, it is a nightmare. It also stops for a while and can come back weeks later for no reason.

I have had a Classic for a year and never had issues even remotely like that.
    07-25-16 03:29 PM
    Really? Give us a link, I've never heard of this problem before where it opens the HUB and starts texting on its own.

#whatisclassic

Just do some searching on Crackberry board or Google. You'll find the stuff.
    07-25-16 03:29 PM

#whatisclassic

Just one of many things about this if you bother to look. I hope you never get hit with this issue b/c it is a nightmare and if my new Classic does it, I am done with BlackBerry after a long long time, sadly. Too much $ wasted for no support and unreliable devices if it happens again.

07-25-16 03:34 PM
    I seen this before... I can't say for sure exactly... I have suspicions... using different chargers or while charging might have something to do with it.... I think it's a digitizer problem where it doesn't have the proper shielding... not all classics run into this issue though...

it is NOT a software issue though... I tried many different OSs...
    07-25-16 03:49 PM
    Maybe search in here a bit - I thought I saw a thread once where there's a setting that affects how the screen operates - if you get too close then it can pick up motion and start doing things that you don't want it to do.
    07-25-16 04:40 PM
    Anyone else wonder if the Classic has a latent design flaw? Love it but just had to replace it (with another Classic b/c I love the old school style and am praying this one is OK and stays OK) b/c it started acting up on its own, like possessed, and became un-usuable
    Which Classic do you have? The AT&T or Verizon branded models, or the shop BlackBerry one?
    07-25-16 05:26 PM
    Which Classic do you have? The AT&T or Verizon branded models, or the shop BlackBerry one?
    CDMA Verizon
    07-25-16 07:24 PM
    Possessed Classic??? :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 07:46 PM