Am bummed that the q20 will have a convenience key and the passport wont. An instant shortcut to the priority hub would be gold. Suppose they could just put customizeable icons on the bottom of the home/multitasking screen but they sure seem to be taking their time with hub shortcuts.
    08-03-14 04:43 AM
    I was a BB user from 2005 to 2011; I had a 75xx series (on the MiKE network, no less), a Curve 83xx, and a Bold 9700. I was happier with each than the one before, especially the jump from the Curve to the Bold.

I moved to an iPhone 4 in early 2011 for a couple of reasons; I needed to deal with a lot of PDF files, and the Bold was very, very slow to render them. The screen size was prohibitive for viewing these files (building plans) as well.

Fast forward to today; I'm trying to simplify my daily workflow. I literally wanted a device that would do a couple of things well, and a couple better than my current iP5. I want to make calls (to the tune of about 3K minutes per month), email and text message. I realized that I've been increasingly working in more of a desktop space via my laptop in the truck (connected via Hotspot on my phone when needed).

That said, I wanted better performance from my device in terms of battery life, connection strength, call quality, and solid WiFi and BT connectivity. iOS doesn't seem to play nice with Ford's SYNC in this regard. I remember that my Bold was excellent in these areas, so...

Off I went to my local carrier shop, and walked away with a new Q10. After two day's use, here is my impression (and why I'm posting in THIS thread).

I'm generally impressed with BB10, but without the tool belt, the Q10 is only half the solution I was hoping it would be. I can't operate the basic functions I mentioned without both hands, due to the width of the handset. The smooth surfaces of the back and edges don't help in this regard. A trackpad functions as an anchor for the thumb, allowing your grip to remain somewhat static while navigating the screen icons and menus.

The touchscreen retains all of my gripes from that of the iPhones; when dialling a call while driving - I use a dash-mounted cradle and handsfree via BT connection to SYNC, of course - it's all too easy to misdial a number nearby in the contacts list. The Keypress Speed Dial function was one I was looking forward to experiencing again, and it doesn't disappoint, however the lack of a send/end button is vexing.

When dialling from contacts, pressing a letter on the keypad should jump to that letter of the contact list, NOT search all contacts with, for example, the letter "E" in them! That 'feature' of BB10 is so counter-intuitive as to be absurd.

The other function of a tool belt is that the 'back' and 'menu (BlackBerry?)' keys function like a home button of sorts, which after years immersed in iOS is a tough habit to break.

Lastly, the feel of the keyboard on the Q10 is not as positive as was that of my 9700; I know this because I dug the old unit out of a drawer and have spent lots of time comparing the two. The straight rows of keys on the Q10 are ergonomically inferior to the slightly curved ones on the Bold, IMO. (I don't believe this will change with the classic.) The more compact size of the 9700 also allows me to type one-handed, if need be. On the Q10, the reach to Q/W/A/S/alt/Z/0 is just too far to maintain a good grip on the handset.

When the Classic is released, I'll take a long, hard look at one in hand. If it (and BB10.3) doesn't solve these gripes for me, I'll probably be looking for a N.O.S. 9900 or even a 9790 in the secondary market.
    Last edited by JF2014; 08-04-14 at 12:38 AM.
    goUSAFblue likes this.
    08-03-14 11:53 PM
    @JF2014

Hey man, your gripe with the search results is something I completely hate about BB10. I never had this issue with my Bolds, somehow the algorithm BB10 uses is completely nonsensical. It cares more about the overall alphabetical order of the results rather than how much what you type matches the result...

For example, if I type "mom" I'll get "Andrew's Mom" and "Jennifer's Mom" before it'll show my actual mother who is saved simply as "Mom." Seriously, shouldn't the 100% match show up first? And with the old OS7, the search results would show most used results first as well. Another thing BB10 is missing. And I agree that while in the contacts the first letter you type should bring you to the contacts with that letter as the first letter. That makes the most sense. But again, it'll show you all contacts with the letter "E" in it in alphabetical order... SOOOOO stupid!!

Anyway, I brought up this issue in the "icanmakeitbetter" website so HOPEFULLY they have improved it in 10.3... *fingers crossed*

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-04-14 12:30 AM
    Wouldn't say "no interest." The Q10 works (for my needs/priorities etc.) better than expected. I would give up some screen for a toolbelt, but I don't think I'd go to a yet larger phone to get one as the Q10 is already bigger than I'd have liked.
    08-08-14 11:47 PM
    Personally I'm sure the CLASSIC will sell like hot cakes because of all legacy users upgrading but I'm still really hoping for successors to the Q5 / Q10

So what I mean is a device without a tool belt. Just allows for more screen space. So a Q5 / Q10 with say a 3.7" screen. 1.2Ghz (Q5) / 1.5Ghz (Q10) (Quad - Core) with Q5 having 16Gb memory and the Q10 having 32GB.
    With both coming stock 3GB RAM.
    Q5 with a 8MP camera and the Q10 with a 13MP camera.

I'm only due for an upgrade in Jan 2016 but thought I would share my "dreams" for my upgrade. Hopefully there are people here who are also hoping for the same thing

Posted via BlackBerry Classic SQC100-2
    08-09-14 05:15 AM
    I love my Q but yes, I think the classic will be better. I miss the toolbelt for the reasons you said and agree about the contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 05:43 AM
    Guys don't you feel Q10 looks better than classic?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 03:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 05:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Depends on the person looking at it...
    08-09-14 05:49 PM
    I don't want to ever go back to a trackpad, cellphones will not use that in the future to come so it's better to get used to touch screens and learn to be as fast as possible with them.

I mean, sure the trackpad is more convenient than the touch screen but I don't believe that's the future.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 06:29 PM
    I don't want to ever go back to a trackpad, cellphones will not use that in the future to come so it's better to get used to touch screens and learn to be as fast as possible with them.

I mean, sure the trackpad is more convenient than the touch screen but I don't believe that's the future.

Posted via CB10
    Well, we can only hope that the future isn't going to be just style over substance and that people don't perpetuate this current "if it's newer it has to be better" attitude and realize that giving the user the option to choose between options is the way to go. Because if the "future" is everyone using the exact same type of phones or buying the exact same things of any kind, then I'll be hard at work on a time machine to go back... I don't want to "fall in line" with whatever is popular and cool. That's a sad way to live. We might as well just get rid of the concept of names and just be numbers.

Sincerely,
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    08-09-14 06:56 PM
    I love my Q but yes, I think the classic will be better. I miss the toolbelt for the reasons you said and agree about the contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    my main reason for missing the the toolbelt??
    CUT AND PASTE
    God, the q10 is a hideous beast to try to do that on.
    So much effort, and half the time it doesn't end well and have to start all over.
    08-09-14 07:45 PM
    my main reason for missing the the toolbelt??
    CUT AND PASTE
    God, the q10 is a hideous beast to try to do that on.
    So much effort, and half the time it doesn't end well and have to start all over.
    Try editing 100+ spreadsheet cells per day...
    08-10-14 11:03 AM
    Does anyone here feel that Thorsten was right? That the Q10 is the perfect marriage of old and new?

Whenever I pick up my bold to play, I love the hardware, but man bb10 is so much better than bb7.

We can all agree that the classic will be an amazing device for those that love the bold. But has anyone here used a bold, then got a Q10, and has no interest whatsoever in getting a classic?

I'm on the fence. I'll have to wait to read CrackBerry.com and watch some video reviews before I decide.
    Passport has thrown a huge wrench in my love of the classic....I use a bold very rarely now ie girlfriends phone who's waiting on the classic to upgrade... And my q10 is nicer but way more annoying to use. I do a lot of copy pasting and phone calls all of which the bold kills the q10 on.. Also the amount of data usage is astronomical between bbos and bb10. Not sure if it's when I leave my browser running minimized or bbm channels but it's easily 5-10x as much data usage..
    08-10-14 11:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    The future is what we, the customer, demand of it. If enough bail on the "more convenient" strategy, why would producers build it? I remember when "flip phones" were "THE future". BB even made a fine device to satisfy that "future". Efficiency of operation eventually proved BB's "classic" form factor to be superior and the market ultimately agreed. Sooner, or later, it will eventually dawn on the iCrowd that S Jobs didn't have ALL the answers. Track navigation provides efficiency through precision, IMO. Efficiency that even iKids will eventually come to value... once they grow up and are forced into "110% mode" competitive environment, that is. SOMEone must do the work of the world...
    08-10-14 11:20 AM
    I have not been on CB in months, so please forgive this newb question, but will the Classic that is being re-released be OS10 or OS7? Personally I don't think I could go back to OS7 (that's just me)

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 11:36 AM
    I have not been on CB in months, so please forgive this newb question, but will the Classic that is being re-released be OS10 or OS7? Personally I don't think I could go back to OS7 (that's just me)

Posted via CB10
    Q10 with larger screen and the toolbelt back ie call buttons, trackpad, app button or variant of it for using bb10 os. probably the new unreleased beta 10.3 os. A bb10 version of the bold with current spec and way larger screen.. What the q10 should have been.
    dollface and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    08-10-14 11:57 AM
    Q10 with larger screen and the toolbelt back ie call buttons, trackpad, app button or variant of it for using bb10 os. probably the new unreleased beta 10.3 os. A bb10 version of the bold with current spec and way larger screen.. What the q10 should have been.
    Omg!!! Thank you for your quick reply. This has caused a great jubilation for me. I'm getting one for sure.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 12:16 PM
    Nailed it. But more specifically, 10.3.1 OS that brings toolbelt support. The Passport will launch before with 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 of course

Posted via CB10
    dollface likes this.
    08-10-14 12:52 PM
    Many Q10 users disagree with that "what the Q10 should have been"

Posted with my ? Q10.
    bigjman likes this.
    08-10-14 04:12 PM
    Many Q10 users disagree with that "what the Q10 should have been"

Posted with my ? Q10.
    maybe but q10 sales suffered while bold continued to sell. based on that id say q10 should have had the tool belt if it had, sales of the device would have been better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-10-14 05:23 PM
    maybe but q10 sales suffered while bold continued to sell. based on that id say q10 should have had the tool belt if it had, sales of the device would have been better.

I'd say Q10, Classic, and Z10 should have all come out within a 6 month period of each other.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    08-10-14 09:19 PM
    I'd say Q10, Classic, and Z10 should have all come out within a 6 month period of each other.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    that would have been nice

08-10-14 09:33 PM

Posted with my ? Q10.
    That would have been sweet. An option for everyone! Not sure if it is a practical thing to do that, but still.

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    08-10-14 10:16 PM
237 ... 678910