Hi all,

For those Classic users who had the legendary 9900 can you talk a little about the difference in build quality and durability?

I had the 9900 and it was rock solid, zero issues and was just a tank. I also have the Q10 and it's been excellent as well but the quality always appeared higher on the 9900.

I have heard the Classic is assembled with glue as opposed to screws and such. Any other signs of obvious cost cutting in terms of quality?

I am aware of some of the minor issues like trackpads not being center etc. Truthfully this was an issue with the 9900 too so I would like to know about the bigger issues.

Thanks so much!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 02:14 AM
    The build quality does seem a bit higher than the Q10 but the execution seems a bit worse.

The 9900 was great for its day and in a lot of ways seem better but also in some ways seem dated and lower in quality.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    10-26-15 09:46 AM
    Myself and 26 coworkers have used scores of 9900s since day one. We've used our 30+ Classics since month two. Our unusual application could be considered a torture test. Including 12 hr/day QC marathons where we use our devices to edit spreadsheets for validating thousands of conductors & terminations, for example. (A role once filled by Panasonic toughbooks with an additional technician to operate.) A high percentage of nomenclature is numeric and we'd expect to see paint wearing thin on our 9900's numeric keys after about 6 months, or so. Replacement on our 99s is cheap and quick. I've replaced 9900 KBs in five minutes while drinking coffee during breaktime. We've dissected a few Classics and swapping keyboard is NOT a five minute operation. BUT, after 8+ months, we haven't noticed paint wearing through our Classics' keys, yet. In fact, other than damage from dropping the oversized things (statistically double+ the drops experienced with our 99s), our Classics have been superbly trouble free. Not even DTs. We still haven't updated to latest non-DT OS. The things seem impressively resilient even when dropped on concrete. That "force fed" OS update, a couple months ago, caused excruciating frustration but that's not hardware related.

As far a "glue" goes, modern adhesives can hold things tighter, longer, than threaded fasteners. We used a LOT of adhesives in my NASA days mostly because they provided superior reliability. The downside is disassembly. Our Classics certainly weren't meant to be user serviced.

Many of us still use our 9900's because of other issues but 8 months in to the Classic have been satisfyingly impressive, IMO. FWIW.
    10-26-15 10:07 AM
    Myself and 26 coworkers have used scores of 9900s since day one. We've used our 30+ Classics since month two. Our unusual application could be considered a torture test. Including 12 hr/day QC marathons where we use our devices to edit spreadsheets for validating thousands of conductors & terminations, for example. (A role once filled by Panasonic toughbooks with an additional technician to operate.) A high percentage of nomenclature is numeric and we'd expect to see paint wearing thin on our 9900's numeric keys after about 6 months, or so. Replacement on our 99s is cheap and quick. I've replaced 9900 KBs in five minutes while drinking coffee during breaktime. We've dissected a few Classics and swapping keyboard is NOT a five minute operation. BUT, after 8+ months, we haven't noticed paint wearing through our Classics' keys, yet. In fact, other than damage from dropping the oversized things (statistically double+ the drops experienced with our 99s), our Classics have been superbly trouble free. Not even DTs. We still haven't updated to latest non-DT OS. The things seem impressively resilient even when dropped on concrete. That "force fed" OS update, a couple months ago, caused excruciating frustration but that's not hardware related.

As far a "glue" goes, modern adhesives can hold things tighter, longer, than threaded fasteners. We used a LOT of adhesives in my NASA days mostly because they provided superior reliability. The downside is disassembly. Our Classics certainly weren't meant to be user serviced.

Many of us still use our 9900's because of other issues but 8 months in to the Classic have been satisfyingly impressive, IMO. FWIW.

Fantastic post! Thank you so much

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 12:30 PM
    We had been using 9930s for 3yrs at work before switching to the Classics, and in an aviation environment, outside in all weather, in hangars, in the field etc..with drops and all and I have to say the Classics are holding their own.

Subjectively speaking, I would say the 9930 (9900) was definitely of a better refined and polished build, but the Classic has shown to be just as durable. I guess it's an appearance thing, because I still think the 9930(9900) series was BBs best looking phone.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and mhw100 like this.
    10-27-15 12:41 AM
    @rotorwrench, have your folks noted rotor wash causing any odd behavior from either 9900 or Classic? We experienced phantom inputs in windy, and ultra low (<5%) RH, conditions with our 9900s. My smart guys hacked an app that locked the 9900's touch HMI, ending the issue for us. A crew returned from that part of the world last August reporting NO issues with their Classics.

We've also occasionally experienced "sun crazy" trackpads on our 9900s during outdoor projects. No reports of that yet on our Classics.

just curious. ?
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-27-15 12:05 PM
    As a matter of fact, I know of one instance one of our guys had taking a video of an actuator operation with the ship spun up and he was standing on the left side. The phone was acting a little bonkers, stopping recording as if he had touched the screen, then start again. We never really thought much about it at the time but now looking back, he was the only guy on our crew who wasn't using an OtterBox with the screen protector. Other than that, I'm not aware of any repeatable discrepancies like that. I've used my 9930 several times while standing directly in the rotorwash of various ships and never noticed that particular issue, but then again, mine was in an OtterBox with the screen protector in place.

It's cool your guys came up with a fix.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-28-15 12:51 AM
    I actually had the opportunity to disassemble all the BlackBerry I owned, including Z10/30, Q10/20/30. I happened to find out that Q20 is assembled in a way pretty much similar to iPhone 4S, which I happened to disassembled twice. I can't really say that Q20 is any worse regarding the build quality. What I am sure about is that it does use a lot of glue, which is not bad in build quality but kind of annoying in disassembling. I would much prefer the way Q30 handles the assembling since it is much easier if you have to replace something.
    My answer to your question is : No, Q20 is not worse in build quality, but worse in the way they put it together

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 12:03 PM