I've been waiting for The BlackBerry Classic since first mention. I've purchased each BlackBerry 10 device at launch and have been eager to add The Classic to my collection. Then I came across this article http://news.ebscer.com/2014/12/the-b...tep-backwards/ and it definitely has me thinking. The author is a BlackBerry Developer and makes a really strong case for the redundancy of the ToolBelt. Give it a read if you'd like but I think a strong case is made that all you're really getting is a TrackPad to make selecting type easier. The Android apps won't support it other than to close the app with he end button and BlackBerry 10 Developers have been developing without the ToolBelt in mind for 3 years now and are not required to start now. Meh, I'll probably buy it anyway...even if it ends up being a slightly bigger Q10 with bump up in battery. Love my Q10 and why not add to the collection?
    12-14-14 11:08 PM
    Yeah just add it. Cant hurt. You might even like it better than the Q. Do you have a passport?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-14-14 11:10 PM
    Bought The Passport off ShopBlackBerry...AT&T is solid where I live around Philadelphia. So I was test driving it for 2 weeks cause I'm on Verizon, but would port over if I really liked it. Loved it...Passport was hands down best device I ever used. Only one problem, zero, zilch, nada....service in my home. I'd go outside and like 5 new voicemails would come through. I simply couldn't have a phone that doesn't work in my house. So I even went as far trying the MicroCell Tower. That didn't work either because my server, modem, router, etc. is downstairs in my office in the basement and you need to connect the Tower to your router or modem and it has to be able to get the GPS signal which of course my luck it doesn't get in my basement. Tried everything, even T-Mobile, same result. So no Passport. Maybe even no Classic as still on GSM available and until launch date we don't know 100% if Verizon will get it. We know there's a CDMA model, but there's no guarantees with Verizon???

Yeah just add it. Cant hurt. You might even like it better than the Q. Do you have a passport?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-14-14 11:18 PM
    I doubt that any android app will ever support the toolbelt. The only think that will would be BlackBerry 10 OS functions such as end call, text selections...

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-14-14 11:18 PM
    Totally agree. So it's almost like, I'm already a BB10 user with a Q10 and is perfectly happy without the ToolBelt. And sure the battery is larger, but the Q10 allows me to carry a spare. Decisions, decisions...

I doubt that any android app will ever support the toolbelt. The only think that will would be BlackBerry 10 OS functions such as end call, text selections...

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 11:21 PM
    Buy it, try it, don't like it, return it.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-14-14 11:25 PM
    The toolbelt was viable in the bold 9900 because there was no touchscreen. With the touchscreen, most of the best function of that toolbelt were taken away already.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 11:26 PM
    The toolbelt was viable in the bold 9900 because there was no touchscreen. With the touchscreen, most of the best function of that toolbelt were taken away already.

Posted via CB10
    Uhh, you must be new here...
    BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - Full phone specifications
    donemt, Euan, emkay47 and 14 others like this.
    12-14-14 11:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Clearly you didn't own a 9900..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-14-14 11:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I can tell that you didn't own or ever handle a 9900/9930

Sent from my Q10
    LuisCast and andy957 like this.
    12-15-14 12:09 AM
    I'm not expecting miracles from the trackpad. I don't care for extra function for Android apps either. I just want to select text better, easier navigation in the browser (moving the cursor) and highlight things. That's more or less all I expect.
    emkay47, LuisCast, gfonger and 6 others like this.
    12-15-14 12:20 AM
    if you could enable showing a mouse in some apps or if the app has no trackpad support it would just be a way to input the same gestures as you would on the touchscreen, then it wouldnt be too bad even if its an android app or an unsupported app
    12-15-14 12:28 AM
    Personally I'm not interested in the Classic, and in all honesty think it's a mistake to bring back the toolbelt. Of course I understand that's my personal opinion and that there are a lot of people who want the trackpad back.

That being said however,

A LOT of people are complaining about a lot of things. Why?

The specs? They're more than good enough to run BB10 and are actually pretty decent. Find me another phone at the same price point that has 2gb of ram?

There is even a point to using an underclocked CPU as it will save battery, like the 2.2ghz quad in the passport that can actually perform at higher speeds.

And the weight? That's a problem?

And the trackpad not lighting up. Well, I can see how that would be an issue. But if the keys light up, and the keyboard lights up, you'll always know where to place your finger for the trackpad.

The Classic is a device for people who want older devices, to move up from the legacy phones, and have been complaining forever about not having the belt. And there is more complaining now?

No wonder Blackberry is doing so bad, all their customers do is complain, at least Apple has fans that will buy anything no matter what (for better or worse)

Honestly, if you want the classic, it's because you want the trackpad back. If you don't want the classic, don't get it. People have gone on and on about how it's just a different Q10 anyway. Get one of those for cheap. They're still good devices.

And as for the trackpad not working on android, I don't really know how it will work out. BUT. The touch keyboard on the passport works on some android apps, so don't count out the trackpad just yet.

Passport on Wind
    12-15-14 12:34 AM
    Also don't care about the Android apps. Gonna be awesome to navigate, text, anything on the phone without touching the screen!

I hate smudges on my screens! Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Posted via CB10
    Euan, emkay47, mfurman and 4 others like this.
    12-15-14 12:37 AM
    Also don't care about the Android apps. Gonna be awesome to navigate, text, anything on the phone without touching the screen!

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, as long as trackpad works on hub, browser, text, email, I'm goooooood.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    12-15-14 12:45 AM
    Most of the people buying this phone is coming from legacy BBOS and those who want the tool belt. And some would care less if the track pad didn't work on android apps. The Classic is aim towards a very specific group of mobile users. It amazes me that people assume everyone uses their mobile devices the same

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 and H3000 like this.
    12-15-14 01:48 AM
    A Q10 with a toolbelt lol. Blackberry loves to waste money. So clearly the q10 what overpriced when they released it for 650-699
    12-15-14 07:58 AM
    The classic will still do everything that the q10 did with the touch screen.

In addition it will have the tool belt.

I really don't know why people don't want this phone to exist.

Also, it is NOT just for people upgrading from a 9900, and the specs DO matter.

There are plenty of people who want this phone with specs that will last any upgrades over the next couple of years.

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    12-15-14 08:45 AM
    You're not the target audience for the Classic. You already know BB10 and have gotten used to not having the toolbelt.

The Classic is meant to ease people's fears about buying a BlackBerry that is too different from their existing pre-BB10 one. They don't know the gestures, or the text selection bubble interface, or the etc. Etc. So for them the toolbelt will be the initial primary interface, and the gestures (if they ever figure them out, will be a "neat" secondary thing).

It's meant for the supreme-luddites amongst the BlackBerry luddites. .. I'm surprised it doesn't have AA batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Zirak, SmileDahling and wincyUt like this.
    12-15-14 08:52 AM
    So if you're looking for toolbelt/track pad support in 3rd party apps, you may be disappointed, because the developers weren't thinking of them. Fair enough.

However, I would bet that most diehard fans holding out for the toolbelt want it for the native OS functionality, including text selection / hub navigation, etc.

Gestures are great and highly efficient for actions such as app selection, but are godawful for editing a mission critical email in a timely fashion.

People who want a 3rd party app platform likely prefer all touch devices. People who spend 3-4 hours a day using written language to communicate ideas and who need to do it in real time may prefer the physical keyboard with the tool belt.

The author of the article develops apps for a living, so his perspective makes sense, and I think it's great that he explained the issue, but that perspective may not reflect the real world needs of the Classic's target customers.

Posted via CB10
    iamagod likes this.
    12-15-14 09:00 AM
    I'm hoping efficiency will go up using the tool belt on the classic vs. Passport, just those fine movements and selection will be easier and make the phone faster to use... even if that's all I end up using the tool belt for

I'm hoping it will be like moving from the 9700 to 9900 all over again, the added touch screen of the 9900 and the tool belt together made the 9900 an phone amazing to use
    12-15-14 09:11 AM
    You're not the target audience for the Classic. You already know BB10 and have gotten used to not having the toolbelt.

The Classic is meant to ease people's fears about buying a BlackBerry that is too different from their existing pre-BB10 one. They don't know the gestures, or the text selection bubble interface, or the etc. Etc. So for them the toolbelt will be the initial primary interface, and the gestures (if they ever figure them out, will be a "neat" secondary thing).

It's meant for the supreme-luddites amongst the BlackBerry luddites. .. I'm surprised it doesn't have AA batteries.

Posted via CB10
    I hope this is a joke. If not then it shows a high degree of ignorance.

I bought a z10 as soon as I could. I love the gestures but the tool belt is simply better for somethings. Also, a real keyboard and real call and end keys are more efficient.

This isn't for "luddites" this is for people who want an efficient communication device.

Posted via CB10
    mfurman and andy957 like this.
    12-15-14 09:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    I guess you only answer calls using Bluetooth also?

As for the pad, meh, don't need it.
    12-15-14 09:35 AM
    I'm just getting kinda sick of some people acting like full touch is all we need.

Guess what even on bb10 which has the best text editing it still isn't great on full touch. Good but not great. It's why people still use keyboards and mice to do most real work. It not about being to lazy to learn the gestures. It's about efficiency. That's why the touchpad functions in the passport keyboard are great.

Even the keyboardless phones could benefit from the efficiency a touchpad brings.

Posted via CB10
    dale-c and mfurman like this.
    12-15-14 09:59 AM
    I hope this is a joke. If not then it shows a high degree of ignorance.

I bought a z10 as soon as I could. I love the gestures but the tool belt is simply better for somethings. Also, a real keyboard and real call and end keys are more efficient.

This isn't for "luddites" this is for people who want an efficient communication device.

Posted via CB10
    Not a joke, but you completely missed my point and got hung on the luddite joke.

The OP regards the apparent "uselessness" of the tool belt on a BB10 device perceived by the developer quoted in the article.

That is from the point of view of someone that is already familiar and comfortable with BB10 gestures. THIS IS NOT for whom they decide to add the toolbelt.

The toolbelt was added for people that (1) don't know the gestures, or (2) didn't like the gestures. If either of those apply to you, then there is no way that the toolbelt will feel "useless" and secondary, because it will be your preferred interaction method over gestures.

That's all I was saying.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 10:09 AM
64 123