First post here!

Just another person whose thinking of defecting (back) from the Androidverse. A few years ago I used to have a Curve 9300 (beautiful and tough as nails, if badly under-powered - but still my backup phone even today), then inherited a Bold 9780 (lasted well, faithful friend), before defecting to Android with an Experia SP. But, I always loved those QWERTY keyboards and the IBM TrackPoint-alike optical touch - so I'm glad to see Blackberry back in the game

Which brings me to the question, which BB to go for? I'm tempted by the big screen and CPU power of the Passport, as I do a lot of web surfing, Emails, PDF documents etc., but I'm a bit unsure about the keyboard and width of the device. Does the touch-enabled thing interfere when trying to type (I type a lot)? Does the non-standard layout get in the way? On the other hand, coming from an Experia SP, would the Classic just feel badly under-powered and cramped?

Ultimately, a good typing experience is what counts, but being able to read without endless zooming in and out would be a consideration too.
    02-27-15 05:45 PM
    I can only comment on the Q10. It is fantastic. I have a iPhone 6 plus as well. I have used most of the Android Devices currently available except the Nexus 5. While iPhones and Android devices work wonderfully I always rely on my Blackberry to get things done efficiently. I myself have ordered a Classic which is set to arrive on Tuesday. I look forward to getting getting the tool belt back especially for making and ending calls quickly as well as selecting text. I would however love to try the Passport but Verizon does not offer this device.

I don't think making the switch from Android will be an issue as for me it was like returning to a old reliable friend.
    02-27-15 06:38 PM
    I would recommend a Classic. A passport is quite wide and the keyboards are a bit stiff, and takes a bit of time to get used to (only 3 rows)

Classic is also perfectly sized for one hand usage. You'll feel it's heavier than expected when you unbox it but you will appreciate the added weight once you settled in

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 09:13 PM
    If you do a lot of email, pdfs, web surfing you might want to have the big screen. Yes the keyboard has three rows, but the flicking of the letters make it a breath of fresh air to finish a sentence.

You will just have to play with both Classic and Passport to know which You'll want the Most and satisfies your needs.
    02-27-15 10:53 PM
    thanks for your thoughts. I'll definitely have a play with both before settling for one. I might give the Q10 a try too if the contract price is competetive - here in the uk it seems to be going for a LOT less than the Classic at the moment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    03-17-15 06:37 AM
    I would recommend a Classic. A passport is quite wide and the keyboards are a bit stiff, and takes a bit of time to get used to (only 3 rows)

Classic is also perfectly sized for one hand usage. You'll feel it's heavier than expected when you unbox it but you will appreciate the added weight once you settled in

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly my opinion! I had the PassPort for 5 months and switched to the Classic four weeks ago. I prefer the size with its ability to one-handed use and writing texts is by far quiker and more comfortable for me.
    Battery power is recognizable lower but I always get two days with one charge.
    That's my experience.
    03-17-15 06:44 AM
    If you are ok with the size of the Passport and are willing to learn and figure out something really new and innovative, I would go with that. I passed on it because it's too chunky for me. I passed on the Q10 because the screen was too small and dark for my taste and it had no toolbelt. The Classic is great--the best form factor for everything but games and videos imo. And its screen is sharp enough and VERY bright.

However, the Classic has old processors and isn't that fast. For the basic stuff it's great, but struggles a bit with more graphic-intensive apps and websites. If you need something that multitasks very quickly between intensive apps and heavy web browsing, the Passport is probably the one for you. If your needs don't extend to graphically-intense stuff, more intense Android apps, or really heavy web-browsing, the Classic should work.

On the other hand, the Classic typing experience is heavenly. Most people will probably like the Classic's setup better, although the people who have gotten used to the Passport love it, too. I can assure you that the Classic is the best device out there for editing text (although Passport is no slouch with that capacitive keyboard). If you habitually tap and rest your fingers on the keyboard, that can throw your typing off with the Passport. Otherwise, you should do fine with it.

I would call around--try to find where you can play around with both. The Passport looks bigger in pictures than it feels in the hand, so the size probably isn't as bad as you're thinking. Plus, it's such a new design that you will have to play with it for a half-hour or so before really knowing whether you'll like it. Some do, some don't--and it's hard to predict who will or won't.

From a Classic
    03-17-15 08:08 AM
    If you can afford it use both, I don't think I could make a Classic my sole device (screen size, media consumption, SOC) it's perfect for calls, text, bbm, or apps like this but I couldn't get by on it just alone!

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    03-17-15 10:14 PM
    I see this is posted in the Classic section. No offense to Classic users, but OS 10 is a gesture based OS. That's just the way it is.

IF you like having the toolbelt, consider the Classic.

IF you like having a physical keyboard consider the Q10 or Passport as they offer both the PK and touch - though, the Passport may be too big for your liking.

IF you are accustomed to an all touch world, consider the Z30.

The best way, and if it is an option, test the devices first to see which works best for you. Either way, I hope BB10 works for you

emPowered by 
    03-17-15 10:32 PM
    I have a second phone for business use...it was a choice between the classic and the passport...tried out both at my carrier store...the classic was so much like the 9900...I selected the classic...no regrets...still rocking the BlackBerry Z30 as my personal phone :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:17 AM