Last night I spent a very long time, too long in fact, trying to install a Ghost Armor screen protector onto my Classic. It was a wet install, so the application solution got everywhere, my bad. After an hour of letting the screen protector set, the screen itself was behaving weirdly and non-responsive, so I figured I would let it dry overnight and see.

Just woke up this morning and found that the screen now works normally again, but now the trackpad is malfunctioning. It will still register clicks when I press on it, no problem, but scrolling in any direction doesn't work. Does the phone need more time to dry? Or have I killed the trackpad?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:54 AM
    I'd give it a couple more days of air dry before I'd conclude anything....

maybe you can accelerate it with a hairdryer...
    10-17-15 10:39 AM
    I'd give it a couple more days of air dry before I'd conclude anything....

maybe you can accelerate it with a hairdryer...
    Thanks, that sounds like what I'll do.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 11:07 AM
    Could be some moisture on the underside of it. Since it is an optical sensor that could mess with it. Hopefully it dries clear..

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-17-15 01:58 PM
    Does anyone think a moisture displacer like WD-40 would help, or would that just make it worse?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 02:44 PM
    You could try the rice trick, but I wouldn't use wd40 or add anything else.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 05:03 PM
    Wd40 will likely leave residue, so don't use that...

10-17-15 08:56 PM
    Like Slagman said, it's an optical sensor. Very dependent on refraction/reflection characteristics. Observe your fingerprint thru the inside of a drinking glass. Then fill the glass and observe and you'll see what the sensor is dealing with.

I've seen 9900 trackpads recover from water soak after a couple days. Probably your best hope, IMO. We've tried everything from 111 to R12 to help drive water out... It just takes its own sweet time. Gentile heat might help. One coworker swears by sunlight for that...??? Idk.

I've also permanently wrecked two 9900 TPs myself with diesel fuel soak. Off road red dye might have contributed to confusing IR refraction?? Idk. WD doesn't evaporate "clean". Some residue might behave similarly to fuel oil so... Caution there.
    10-18-15 06:33 AM
    Okay well after being in a bag of rice overnight, the trackpad is still not working. I'll give it another day or so...

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:32 AM
    Okay well after being in a bag of rice overnight, the trackpad is still not working. I'll give it another day or so...

Posted via CB10
    How long have you had it?

And where did you buy it?

10-18-15 12:21 PM
    How long have you had it?

And where did you buy it?

I've had it since mid August, from Bell.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 03:16 PM
    I've had it since mid August, from Bell.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, was just thinking of if there are any other option...

10-18-15 03:19 PM
    Well it's been in the bag of rice for over 24 hours now, and the trackpad is still not working

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 07:43 AM
    My phone dropped completely in water. Removed cover, case, battery. Immersed in rice for 3 days and it worked just fine. In my case 24 hours where not enough.
    10-19-15 08:01 AM
    My phone dropped completely in water. Removed cover, case, battery. Immersed in rice for 3 days and it worked just fine. In my case 24 hours where not enough.
    I'll give it a few more days then...

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-19-15 08:11 AM
    What precisely does the Ghost Armor "application solution" consist of? Is it an adhesive?
    10-19-15 11:01 AM
    What precisely does the Ghost Armor "application solution" consist of? Is it an adhesive?
    I drop of dishwashing liquid soap and water.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:28 PM
    Well it's been a few days now since first having issues with my Classic. Now I'm getting the bberror.com/bb10-0020

Now what??!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 07:27 PM
    Well it's been a few days now since first having issues with my Classic. Now I'm getting the bberror.com/bb10-0020

Now what??!

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help but I seem to recall 0020 had something to do with charging?? How many days since the device was charged?

Always hesitant about plugging in ANY wet device but, if possible, you might want to get your data backed up, if you haven't already. ??

My vague recollection with 0020 was after drenching my Z10 by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee while answering a VERY critical call. Long story but swapping the Z10 battery did not help.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can offer better advice but I'd be getting sd & simm out and risk usb to pc for backup. Fwiw. Sorry to say but your Classic might be taking a trip soon.
    10-22-15 07:30 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone. I fear that I may have to succumb to the phone being ruined from moisture. It still displays the same error message all the time and will not boot up past that error screen. I looked online and there doesn't seem to be any replacement batteries available to buy online. I though maybe I could take a crack at replacing the trackpad/keyboard and the battery, but if I can't find a replacement battery, then why bother? I'm not actually sure even if replacing the battery will even help. Oh well. I still got the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 04:50 PM
    Dead trackpad from moisture?-img_20151020_193710.jpg

:'(

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:47 PM
    That sucks man. Just say no to wet install screen protectors... Well, I don't use anything on my phone, fully naked, lol.

10-22-15 11:02 PM
    That sucks man. Just say no to wet install screen protectors... Well, I don't use anything on my phone, fully naked, lol.

Yeah and I used to think wet installs were the way to go...

I suppose now then I'll have to part with the Classic, unless it decides to make a spontaneous recovery, which I have read about happening on these forums.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 11:34 PM
    So just an update: I took my phone to Mobilifix. They had it for about 2 weeks and they were able to get the Classic to boot past the bberror screen, which was good. But the trackpad they were unable to fix. So now I basically have a Classic that is fully functioning, except for the trackpad scrolling, and I'm guessing that the trackpad probably just has some residue inside.

Are they any special cleaning solutions that I could try that might help to dissolve any contaminants in the trackpad?

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 09:17 AM
    So just an update: I took my phone to Mobilifix. They had it for about 2 weeks and they were able to get the Classic to boot past the bberror screen, which was good. But the trackpad they were unable to fix. So now I basically have a Classic that is fully functioning, except for the trackpad scrolling, and I'm guessing that the trackpad probably just has some residue inside.

Are they any special cleaning solutions that I could try that might help to dissolve any contaminants in the trackpad?

Posted via CB10
    So they had it apart? And they didn't fix or repair the trackpad? I wonder if they sell spares... If they took it apart, chances are they didn't reglue the battery, so it should come apart more easily the second time around... maybe you can attempt to replace the trackpad if it is sold somewhere, lol.

11-22-15 09:53 AM