Hello everyone,

I've seen similar posts but none that address my specific issue. I have a Classic, and the display / screen seems to be dead. What I mean is the phone still runs, the backlight on the keyboard still works and the phone seems to respond when I swipe or press a button. "Respond" meaning the keys light up and the screen actually lights up, too (albeit in black). When I get an email notification, the notification light blinks like normal. When I power it down and charge it, the amber light pulses to let me know it's charging.

I hooked the phone up to my computer, and the computer detects my phone--both on Blackberry Link and the internal / external storage volumes. So, I can pull information off the phone. One thing I've tried that doesn't work is creating a backup. This function errors out every time.

At this point, I'm starting to believe the display is truly dead. I've tried hard- and soft-resetting the phone multiple times to no avail. The good news is I can access the internal storage on my computer. The bad news is there are some apps where the files seem to only be available from within the app itself.

Two questions:
    1. Is there any possible way to recover the display capabilities of this phone?
    2. If no to #1 , is there any way to hack the device to get the app files? Specifically, I'm looking for a way to access the Parrot app (not the paid version of the app), as I have many, many music demos stashed in there. Albums' worth of material I never backed up outside the app (I know, bad on me).

Honestly, if the device is dead, that sucks, but I mainly just want to access those sound files I created from Parrot if at all possible. I don't care what it takes and would be willing to pay someone if it requires some sort of advanced support. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but the point is, I really want those files back.

Again, I think I have all the basics covered (hard and soft restarting, Blackberry Link, etc.), but feel free to suggest whatever so we can establish a solid baseline in moving forward with a possible solution.

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance!
    12-09-18 09:38 AM
    Perhaps purchase a replacement screen, change it out yourself or pay a shop to do it for you.
    12-10-18 08:40 AM
    Connector ribbon can get loose and cause this behavior - easy to split it open and check - just reseat the connector.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-18 09:23 AM
    I'm selling 2 for parts Classics in the marketplace If all you need is to get your files, one has a shattered display that still works. Good enough to take files off, but it could get damaged during the swapping process. Other one is like new condition, if you want to keep using the phone. Gotta be careful when swapping displays, the main board is fragile! I'd recommend going to a pro.

https://forums.crackberry.com/market...parts-1160690/
    12-12-18 05:43 PM
    Try this. Triple press the power button quickly to turn on screen reader. If your touchscreen still works, the phone will read everything you're touching, then double tap that spot to activate it.

If you can do that, then pull down the settings menu, go to WiFi, Miracast, share screen on a compatible device. You should then be able to retrieve any data from apps and such.
    12-15-18 11:04 AM
    Try this. Triple press the power button quickly to turn on screen reader. If your touchscreen still works, the phone will read everything you're touching, then double tap that spot to activate it.

If you can do that, then pull down the settings menu, go to WiFi, Miracast, share screen on a compatible device. You should then be able to retrieve any data from apps and such.
    Hi all,

Apologies. It's been a busy week; I was going to check in, though, and mention that yesterday morning, working in accessibility at my company, I had the same idea as the poster above! I knew there had to be a way to access the screen reader without accessing the menu (otherwise, what's the point?). I used and learned the reader to access the Parrot app. Trial and error, but I finally was able to find the correct option to backup all the files! Just another great reminder on how accessibility can benefit ANYONE!

I'm not aware of Miracast, but I should probably look into that for my contacts and Remember backup. Once I have those things, I should be set.

Also... I'm awaiting a SlimPort cable in the mail and was hoping that could help.

I'm curious about trying to open the device and checking the ribbon.... Are there video tutorials or detailed instructions/pictures on how to check this? I was just going to buy a Key2 or Key2 LE, but if there's an easy fix out there, I might just hold off...

Thank you all for the replies!
    12-15-18 11:38 AM
    Good to hear that worked!

Back cover just gets pried off, don't know about the rest. Be careful not to pry around the bottom of the phone as that silver piece is only plastic.
    12-16-18 12:32 PM
    if you give up on it
    give me a chance hahaha
    12-19-18 02:07 AM