You removed one of those files and re-added it and it still didn't encrypt? I'm stumped.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 07:21 PM
    Yeah I am confused too, I was able to remove a whole folder fill with about 1000 photos and re-add them without a problem. I notice the encrypted file I couldn't remove are gone now. I put SD Card in and try testing another encrypted file from the blackberry by adding another document but its actually view-able again with a SD card reader from the laptop.
    02-26-15 08:37 PM
    Ok, last suggestion I can come up with. Try removing your files, erase and formatting in the phone then re-adding them.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:54 PM
    Re-add with the card in the phone via USB cable.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:55 PM
    Encryption of the SD card seems like an very basic precaution everyone should take.
    I use a 64GB card, and it doesn't affect performance at all.
    Full backup using Link also backs up the encrypted card with the key.

The idea of the card being readable by anyone if I were to lose or get my phone stolen is not acceptable. Basic files and pictures or videos don't need to be "top secret government Classified" stuff for the user to desire the peace of mind of privacy and personal space.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2708 CB10
    04-11-15 12:06 PM
    Encryption of the SD card seems like an very basic precaution everyone should take.
    But that's the thing... You should not be needing encryption on the SD. If you are putting anything important there, you're asking for trouble.

I have a 64gb one as well and all I'll lose is a copy of music and audiobooks.

I don't even bother with the (VERY FEW) pictures I have there since they are mostly social media crap. The important stuff syncs to box and goes to my PC (and I tend to delete them from the device within a week).

So. That, pretty much.
    04-11-15 07:09 PM
    We recently had a Q10 stolen from the locker room during a rugby game, theft happens unfortunately in this day and age.

IMO the SD card should definitely be encrypted because it is removable.

The device is already password protected but the SD can be removed and breached if not.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    04-11-15 08:43 PM
    No... they're decrypted on the go... or else it would take forever to decrypt the entire card and encrypt each time you open your phone. So they are always encrypted.

OP, the best way to u understand how the encrypted media card works is to think that, once encrypted, it's part of the phones internal storage. So if your phone breaks, data is gone.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that...

I'm going to decrypt my SD card asap.

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    04-11-15 09:26 PM
    I use a 64GB card, and it doesn't affect performance at all.
    Full backup using Link also backs up the encrypted card with the key.

The idea of the card being readable by anyone if I were to lose or get my phone stolen is not acceptable. Basic files and pictures or videos don't need to be "top secret government Classified" stuff for the user to desire the peace of mind of privacy and personal space.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2708 CB10
    You have me really curious now as to what is on your media card that makes you feel the need to implement encryption and I disagree that it is a precaution that everybody should take.

I have never had a mobile device stolen before nor have I lost one for any period of time longer than a few days (it's always been somewhere in the office or my home). I have had multiple devices fail due to water damage, being dropped or malfunctioning.

The trade-off for having everything on your media card encrypted means that if you damage your phone or it decides to stop working (much higher chance of this than being stolen) then your data cannot be accessed using another device.

Having a removable storage card is great because I can create and edit documents, take photos and save other data which has been created by me using my phone and know that if for any reason my phone stops working I can simply eject the tray and put it on my computer or new phone. If I had enabled encryption then unless I get my device to work again - it's just a useless collection of 0's and 1's.

In my opinion, most personal users are much better off leaving their cards unsecured because the risk of damaging the device is far more likely than having the device stolen - and if the device is stolen the data the average user has does not contain anything of value to the common drug addicted phone thief.

I think the reason this feature exists is to assist with corporations complying with legal obligations to protect certain data using reasonable methods. There is certain data that is much better off being protected from a 1% chance of being discovered by a technologically savvy phone thief than it is being protected from a 40% chance of the phone being dropped or suddenly malfunctioning. The vast majority of everyday consumer data falls into this latter category.

I really feel that many people are going to think they are protecting their data by activating encryption only to regret it when they discover their phone didn't survive that drop onto the concrete. I don't think anyone is going to have their phone stolen only to discover their recent vacation photos have been uploaded onto someone else's facebook profile.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-12-15 01:54 AM
    If you do backups to Box, etc. or copy via Link, you do not have to worry about loosing data whether encrypted or not.
    I respect your opinion, but I agree that it's a good idea to use encryption for the SD regardless of what you have on it.
    For me once that card goes in it becomes a part of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Fastmarc; 04-12-15 at 11:02 AM.
    04-12-15 10:04 AM
    So if I switch on encryption and then perform a back-up to a cloud service, the files will not be encrypted on the cloud and can be viewed by any other device? If this is the case then I understand why some users may decide to utilise the encryption setting on their memory cards for personal data - I still believe that most users do not require this degree of privacy and that for normal photos and documents the benefits of not using encryption outweigh that of securing it.

Encryption Advantages:
    - If BlackBerry is stolen and the thief decides to remove the memory card and put it into another device before you are able to perform a remote wipe, the files on the memory card are available to the thief.
    - Files that are encrypted may offer a higher level of protection against hacking or malware.

Encryption Disadvantages:
    - If BlackBerry is dropped, water damages or malfunctions then all files on the memory card are unable to be read using another device.
    - Encrypted files are slower to work with, your BlackBerry may take longer to boot up, may take longer to open, move, share or delete encrypted files.
    - Encrypted files may not work with certain file sharing applications (I know, this is kind of the point).
    - Encryption may give some users a false sense of security. The BlackBerry Classic can utilise SD cards up to 128GB (a massive amount of data) and if a user thinks that because everything on the card is encrypted, they may be more inclined to store sensitive data which may have no place being on a physically small, extremely portable and reasonably unreliable storage device. I won't give a specific example, but I own a business and had a staff member try to justify having a copy of very valuable data because she thought the device was safe.

I am not against the idea of encryption and it is a tool which I make use of frequently as a part of my job, in fact it is a legal requirement that I protect certain data using 'all reasonable means' and there are very good reasons for doing this.

I am just pointing out that there are disadvantages to encryption and I wouldn't refer to it as something which all users should switch on as a basic precaution. Most personal users would be better off leaving their cards un encrypted as the data stored and created is generally designed to be shared with other people such as posting photos on facebook or forwarding documents as email attachments etc.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-12-15 10:18 PM
    I find encrypting the media card to be too much of a headache, so I only have the device encrypted. I have nothing that I think anyone would want and I do not use blackberry cloud or dropbox so I don't have much to worry about in terms of being hacked.
    04-14-15 02:36 PM
    We recently had a Q10 stolen from the locker room during a rugby game, theft happens unfortunately in this day and age.

IMO the SD card should definitely be encrypted because it is removable.

The device is already password protected but the SD can be removed and breached if not.
    Once again, I must state: If you have important stuff on your SD and your leave the device where you know it can be stolen, you're doing it wrong.
    04-21-15 02:17 PM
    Once again, I must state: If you have important stuff on your SD and your leave the device where you know it can be stolen, you're doing it wrong.
    You must live in a very safe part of town where there are no muggings.
    Keep not "doing it wrong" lol
    Just teasing.

I kid, but it's clear from this thread that some of us value being able to encrypt our cards, while others feel it's not necessary.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2726 CB10
    04-21-15 04:48 PM
    It was my daughter's phone I handed down to her. While there likely isn't anything life changing on it, it's still a privacy violation from my perspective.

I take a lot of pride in owning some of the most secure devices available (Berries), almost seems foolish not to use the tools I bought and paid for.

Let's face it, if someone wants to steal your device, they more than likely can unless you keep it in your chastity belt. Long gone are the days of leaving our house doors unlocked as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 06:56 PM
    I have both device and my 64 gb SD card encrypted. Weekly, I unencrypt my card and copy it to my PC. This is necessary regardless of encryption as BBLINK doesn't backup your card.

Posted via my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    You can use BB Link to sync your device pics, docs, and videos with your pc. That's what I do. Everything on my encrypted device and media card is backed up, unencrypted, on my laptop's hdd which itself is password protected. New pics, videos, and docs I take with the camera, download from the net, or create on my BlackBerry start to automatically sync to my pc as soon as I'm within my wifi's range. I can access all the files on my pc (including the ones I've chosen not to sync and keep on my device/media card) remotely over the mobile network when I'm away from home using Link's Remote File Access.

I don't see what the big deal is, why people advise against encryption. The key is to back up your device and media card data somewhere else. Why would you only have one copy (the one on your phone) of your precious pics, videos, and docs?!? Encrypted or not, if you lose your phone they're gone anyway. Kind of foolish.
    04-21-15 06:58 PM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:02 PM
    You must live in a very safe part of town where there are no muggings.
    Keep not "doing it wrong" lol
    Just teasing.

I kid, but it's clear from this thread that some of us value being able to encrypt our cards, while others feel it's not necessary.
    It's not really a necessary step for the regular Joe. And let's face it, most of us here ARE regular Joes with inflated egos. I can't say anything on my phone warrants the security measures I take to protect that info. It's not like the contracts and documents I carry around can't be accessed if requested by a court of law. It's an optional step.

And yes, I live in a somewhat safe place. Not that I go around flinging my Z30 for everyone to see... That would not be too wise. But hey, before they can get to any content, I'll be on Protect either locking the device or wiping it.

I don't see what the big deal is, why people advise against encryption. The key is to back up your device and media card data somewhere else. Why would you only have one copy (the one on your phone) of your precious pics, videos, and docs?!? Encrypted or not, if you lose your phone they're gone anyway. Kind of foolish.
    That's the poit. You don't see what's the big deal. No one here is against encryption. But being on these forums since 2009 tought me general users are ill equiped to handle that particular function (SD encryption) and are better off not using it. Do a search. See the amount of posts of people desperate because they lost important pictures because they said "hey, let's encrypt the SD, what could go wron, eh?".

But hey, what do I know. Do it. Maybe you're the 1% that actually won't mess it up and come here asking us for help.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-22-15 12:33 PM
    But being on these forums since 2009 tought me general users are ill equiped to handle that particular function (SD encryption) and are better off not using it. Do a search. See the amount of posts of people desperate because they lost important pictures because they said "hey, let's encrypt the SD, what could go wron, eh?".

But hey, what do I know. Do it. Maybe you're the 1% that actually won't mess it up and come here asking us for help.
    That's the point. Those same people are the ones not posting on this forum when they lose their phones (i.e. lost, stolen, dropped in the river, otherwise destroyed). It's not the encryption. It's the stupidity of not having at least one backup anywhere of what they believe and claim are their most precious files in the world stored only on their losable mobile phones! Yes, there were users a while back on legacy os who had no clue how to properly back up their encrypted files (they used the drag and drop usb method and not desktop software) but backing up and syncing with Blackberry 10 is easier than it used to be. Even so, true that it's not *****-proof. True that an inept fool won't be able to handle it ... nor will he think to have a backup of his unencrypted sd card files.
    jope28 and diegonei like this.
    04-23-15 10:25 AM
69 123