A poll should be done to see how many people actually use the encryption feature to secure their data. Especially since these devices were sold under the premise of being more secure I'm truly curious if this security feature is being utilised.
    As I said before, if you have DoD (if you're not familiar, Department of Defence) level stuff on your SD card, then go ahead an encrypt it.

Else, it's way too much trouble for the general user than it's worth the added "security".

If your phone is stolen, do you really thing the theif will want your files? Wiped device, formated SD, that's what happens.

The security is on both hardware and OS level. There are posts on the blog explaining it.

I do encrypt my device memory so stuff in transit is safe, and if a potentially malicious software gets in, it doesn't get anything important from an email, but that's that (specially since there isn't malware for BB).
    02-24-15 07:59 AM
    Got my card today and decided that I would try encryption on both device and the card. I'm liking how it works.
    You can use link and blend to view the files. You can use link to copy the files to your computer and a decrypted version is copied to the computer. That easy.
    The copies on Box are not blackberry encrypted and can be used as normal. Even if you have network sync off, the version that is eventually upload when in wifi is not encrypted.
    Yep, I'm good to go.

Posted via CB10
    ferchu likes this.
    02-24-15 01:30 PM
    Got my card today and decided that I would try encryption on both device and the card. I'm liking how it works.
    You can use link and blend to view the files. You can use link to copy the files to your computer and a decrypted version is copied to the computer. That easy.
    The copies on Box are not blackberry encrypted and can be used as normal. Even if you have network sync off, the version that is eventually upload when in wifi is not encrypted.
    Yep, I'm good to go.
    Do keep a habit of making backups of your SD then. And I don't mean Link backups. Use either Link or Blend to copy the SD's most valuables to the PC weekly so if something goes south, you don't lose data.
    02-24-15 07:08 PM
    A poll should be done to see how many people actually use the encryption feature to secure their data. Especially since these devices were sold under the premise of being more secure I'm truly curious if this security feature is being utilised.

Posted via CB10
    Encryption of the media card isn't actually an important security feature since it is possible to physically protect your media card by preventing people from stealing your phone.

I think nowadays, the most important security feature is preventing people from viewing your data remotely

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 07:21 PM
    I been wondering, Does Media Card encryption make data un-viewable like would all the data on the SD become un-readable if use with a SD card reader on a PC or Phone? if removed from the blackberry device??
    What exactly does encryption for media card do??
    02-24-15 07:47 PM
    I been wondering, Does Media Card encryption make data un-viewable like would all the data on the SD become un-readable if use with a SD card reader on a PC or Phone? if removed from the blackberry device??
    What exactly does encryption for media card do??
    Yup... it's unreadable cause the encryption key is in the phone. Or else there would be no point encrypting your memory card if you can just read it by inserting it into a laptop!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:54 PM
    Use either Link or Blend to copy the SD's most valuables to the PC weekly so if something goes south, you don't lose data.
    Yep, that's the plan. That plus Box.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:11 PM
    Encryption of the media card isn't actually an important security feature since it is possible to physically protect your media card by preventing people from stealing your phone.
    I guess that's one way of looking at it.
    Though I do not have DoD level stuff, I still have documents I would rather keep private in the unfortunate, unlikely event my phone falls into the wrong hands. Doing this takes little effort, so why not utilise it?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:37 PM
    I guess that's one way of looking at it.
    Though I do not have DoD level stuff, I still have documents I would rather keep private in the unfortunate, unlikely event my phone falls into the wrong hands. Doing this takes little effort, so why not utilise it?

Posted via CB10
    Sure! Just make sure you have a backup of those documents. Beside, it's invisible to the user

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:37 PM
    Yup... it's unreadable cause the encryption key is in the phone. Or else there would be no point encrypting your memory card if you can just read it by inserting it into a laptop!

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm.. This is weird.. I encrypted the Device & SD Card it also show both encryption is turn on.
    Now the problem is when I take out the SD card and use it with a card reader on a laptop it views the file fine and am able to transfer files just drag and drop without a problem. Is this normal?
    02-25-15 03:25 AM
    Hmmm.. This is weird.. I encrypted the Device & SD Card it also show both encryption is turn on.
    Now the problem is when I take out the SD card and use it with a card reader on a laptop it views the file fine and am able to transfer files just drag and drop without a problem. Is this normal?
    No at all !
    02-25-15 06:49 AM
    You will be able to view the file with exlorer or finder, but can you open the file?
    When I tested it the first time, I was a little surprised that I could see the file names and type in explorer and even copy them, but then I realise that is all you can do as they are not readable.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 06:59 AM
    Yep, that's the plan. That plus Box.

Posted via CB10
    Box only does images an videos.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:01 AM
    Box only does images an videos.
    Yes, you are correct. Only photos and videos automatically, but I manually copy important documents to Box which also allows me to access from other devices.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-25-15 07:18 AM
    Leaning on the paranoid side of things, I encrypted both the phone and the SD card. It's a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, used to about 40GB. It took about 36 hours to encrypt, during which I had to charge the phone every 12 hours.

When encryption was completed, I noticed that Android apps, such as Spotify where significantly slower and the battery continued to discharge at a quicker pace than before.

I have opted for a mix: phone encrypted, SD card plain. I'll store non-DoD stuff on the SD card, such as Spotify cache and such, and the classified personal budget, confidential expenses report and top secret selfies on the phone.

I started decryption nearly 24 hours ago, it's about 65% done. Hope I'll regain some battery life this way.
    02-25-15 11:16 AM
    When encryption was completed, I noticed that Android apps, such as Spotify where significantly slower and the battery continued to discharge at a quicker pace than before.
    After you finished the encryption, did you do a restart?
    I haven't seen an additional battery drain on my device.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 11:47 AM
    After you finished the encryption, did you do a restart?
    I haven't seen an additional battery drain on my device.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I did. Again, it was mostly with Android apps.
    02-25-15 12:04 PM
    Yes, I did. Again, it was mostly with Android apps.
    Ok.
    I don't run much android apps and when I do, I don't leave them active/idle in the background much. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 12:41 PM
    Ok, I see what happen now. I guess what I assume SD Encryption meant was it encrypt the whole media card as nothing would be view-able.
    but I am able to view pictures and transfer pictures out of SD card with a card reader but I am unable to open Documents & Open Documents transfer from the encrypted SD card.
    so basically it only encrypted documents.
    02-25-15 01:38 PM
    Ok, I see what happen now. I guess what I assume SD Encryption meant was it encrypt the whole media card as nothing would be view-able.
    but I am able to view pictures and transfer pictures out of SD card with a card reader but I am unable to open Documents & Open Documents transfer from the encrypted SD card.
    so basically it only encrypted documents.
    No, it should be everything. I tested documents and photos. Nothing would open.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 02:32 PM
    Leaning on the paranoid side of things, I encrypted both the phone and the SD card. It's a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, used to about 40GB. It took about 36 hours to encrypt, during which I had to charge the phone every 12 hours.
    If you decide to try encrypting it againg, I wonder if it would be shorter to remove all the files, encrypt the empty SD then load back the files. I guessing the files being encrypted while being written might should be shorter since I don't see any delays when I'm adding individual files.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 03:07 PM
    I keep customer files and manuals on my SD card so I keep it encrypted. Just like any important data, I have multiple copies of everything on the card in different locations, such as a RAID configured server in my office. I also have my laptop drives encrypted, again making backups of all important documents.

You will always take a performance hit of some kind with encryption, but on any modern device it's all but negligible and with Link and SMB capabilities built into BlackBerry 10 there's no good excuse to not to backup your data.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-25-15 05:01 PM
    No, it should be everything. I tested documents and photos. Nothing would open.

Posted via CB10
    I have un-encrypted and encrypted everything again. Seems like previous photos were not encrypted and view-able but everything taking with camera afterwards gets encrypted and non-viewable.
    02-25-15 09:50 PM
    Strange, it's supposed to encrypt everything on the card. Try removing them and re-adding them.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 10:11 PM
    Everything still the same.. everything after encryption is unreadable but anything before is view-able.
    02-26-15 06:20 PM
69 123