I'm thinking about encrypting the data on my phone especially my media card, but I have one question. If my phone dies, how do I access the encrypted data on the card?
    Is there a way to back it up without the encryption?
    Do a lot of you use encryption?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 06:46 PM
    If your phone dies (battery), you charge it up.
    If your phone does (everything else), you lose the data and format the SD card.
    If you use an autoloader, you lose the data and format the SD card.

Clear enough? Encrypt device memory but unless you have DoD level stuff in the SD, leave it alone.
    Fastmarc likes this.
    02-22-15 07:19 PM
    I see what you mean.
    So I guess no one is really utilising this feature then.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:41 PM
    Depends on your use case. All my SD cards are encrypted. While the risk of loss is there, there are mitigating factors like performing a full backup through Link. That backup will include the encryption key for the SD media on a full restore. For your backup to be safe, you must also encrypt it through link. It's a layered approach.

As an example, if you are enjoying playing with the phone, installing leaked OS, etc., then you likely don't need the encryption feature.
    02-22-15 09:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I clearly need to read up More on this.
    If the SD in encrypted, can you selectively decrypt an individual file or files in the event I want to copy a file via Link/Blend onto my computer?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:49 PM
    If the SD in encrypted, can you selectively decrypt an individual file or files in the event I want to copy a file via Link/Blend onto my computer?

Posted via CB10
    I believe the files are encrypted only when off line. Meaning why the OS is running, all files are available like a USB drive would be. They would only appear encrypted if you pulled the SD and put it in your computer.

I might be wrong though.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:56 PM
    I believe the files are encrypted only when off line. Meaning why the OS is running, all files are available like a USB drive would be. They would only appear encrypted if you pulled the SD and put it in your computer.

I might be wrong though.

Posted via CB10
    No... they're decrypted on the go... or else it would take forever to decrypt the entire card and encrypt each time you open your phone. So they are always encrypted.

OP, the best way to u understand how the encrypted media card works is to think that, once encrypted, it's part of the phones internal storage. So if your phone breaks, data is gone.

Posted via CB10
    Fastmarc likes this.
    02-22-15 10:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    This type of functionality, on a file-by-file basis where *you* control the encryption, and the key, and could even transfer a file between two devices in an encrypted format so long as a key were available on the other side, can be achieved by Power Tools.

Encryption of the filesystem is hashed into the naming and storage schema at a very low level, it is invisible to you in normal use. Only if you were to remove a file from the system would you find it unusable.
    Fastmarc likes this.
    02-22-15 10:47 PM
    Thanks the replies all.

OP, the best way to u understand how the encrypted media card works is to think that, once encrypted, it's part of the phones internal storage. So if your phone breaks, data is gone.
    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Essentially once a card goes into the phone I do kinda consider it now a part of the phone as I never remove it, so I guess in this sense I could use the encryption. My only issue is if I had a photo taken by the phone or a doc created on the phone and wanted to share it on my computer, etc.

Posted via CB10
    lemanissier likes this.
    02-23-15 07:15 AM
    Thanks the replies all.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Essentially once a card goes into the phone I do kinda consider it now a part of the phone as I never remove it, so I guess in this sense I could use the encryption. My only issue is if I had a photo taken by the phone or a doc created on the phone and wanted to share it on my computer, etc.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't mind cloud storage, save your files in the cloud. Pictures and videos automatically sync with many services (onedrive, dropbox...).

Documents can also be save and accessed from the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    Fastmarc likes this.
    02-23-15 07:19 AM
    When you first ask the device to encrypt any bit of it, it will do all that bit. If it's internal memory, then 8/16/32B (depending if you have a Z3/Q5, Q/Z10/Z30/Classic or Passport) will be encrypted - and the larger the most time consuming. After that, any new file is encrypted on the go, which is rather a fast process. Just to make it clear. a 64GB SD would take (I imagine) about half a day to finish.

If you don't mind cloud storage, save your files in the cloud. Pictures and videos automatically sync with many services (onedrive, dropbox...).

Posted via CB10
    But what if they are encrypted? Would the cloud have an useless file or a readable one?
    02-23-15 08:39 AM

Thanks for this suggestion. I think this might be my solution. I have switched on storage to my box account, so all photos & videos will now be stored there as well. I am assuming that with encryption turned on the ones sent to Box will not be encrypted. If this is the case, problem solved.
    I'm not so worried about the documents as all the docs will be received via email, so I'll have copies securely elsewhere and it's unlikely I will be creating documents on the device.
    Hmm, I should check to see if I can save copies of documents to Box as well.

Edit: I don't see a way to automatically save docs to Box, so maybe this is not possible. I wonder if ii save a doc straight to Box, if it would bypass encryption?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:15 AM
    But what if they are encrypted? Would the cloud have an useless file or a readable one?
    That's something I need to find out. Can't test it as yet as I'm using a temp SD and I would prefer not to encrypt it. I may go get my permanent SD today and if that's the case I'll test this.
    Also curious to know if it does save it unencrypted to box and I switch off network syncing and I take a photo, when it eventually syncs would it sync an unencrypted version?
    Questions, questions, questions...

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:56 AM
    If having both phone and card encrypted, you know if can use Sachesi/bblink to upgrade or sideload a bar, directly or need to decrypt all first ????
    Thanks
    02-23-15 10:26 AM
    If having both phone and card encrypted, you know if can use Sachesi/bblink to upgrade or sideload a bar, directly or need to decrypt all first ????
    Thanks
    That has nothing to do with it. It's the user files that get encrypted.
    ferchu likes this.
    02-23-15 11:52 AM
    That has nothing to do with it. It's the user files that get encrypted.
    Ok.
    then ... would be a yes?
    i can don't decrypt for use with Sachesi?
    Sorry if ask so much.
    Thanks a lot.
    02-23-15 12:15 PM
    Ok.
    then ... would be a yes?
    i can don't decrypt for use with Sachesi?
    Sorry if ask so much.
    Thanks a lot.
    No need to.
    ferchu likes this.
    02-23-15 12:17 PM
    When you first ask the device to encrypt any bit of it, it will do all that bit. If it's internal memory, then 8/16/32B (depending if you have a Z3/Q5, Q/Z10/Z30/Classic or Passport) will be encrypted - and the larger the most time consuming. After that, any new file is encrypted on the go, which is rather a fast process. Just to make it clear. a 64GB SD would take (I imagine) about half a day to finish.

No, your BlackBerry won't be sending an encrypted file to your cloud service. However, your cloud service should encrypt it right after receiving it before storing it.

The encryption is triggered when you save something on your memory card and it's decrypted as soon as you pull a file out. It works exactly like a small vault. You can only read it from outside if you have a key. To transfer to you cloud services, the file has to be removed from the vault first

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-23-15 12:18 PM
    Does Link work the same way as Desktop Manager, in that if you have encrypted data and no longer have the original encrypting device, you can transfer your files to your computer via DM and said files will decrypt in the process?
    02-23-15 02:16 PM
    I have both device and my 64 gb SD card encrypted. Weekly, I unencrypt my card and copy it to my PC. This is necessary regardless of encryption as BBLINK doesn't backup your card.

Posted via my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-23-15 02:27 PM
    Does Link work the same way as Desktop Manager, in that if you have encrypted data and no longer have the original encrypting device, you can transfer your files to your computer via DM and said files will decrypt in the process?
    Yes and no. The data MUST be decrypted using the same device that encrypted it.
    02-23-15 02:51 PM
    Yes and no. The data MUST be decrypted using the same device that encrypted it.
    I guess his point is, he does not have to do it manually. Link will talk to the device "file xxcvbd is being copied to the PC" and the device will send a decrypted version.
    02-23-15 09:47 PM
    I guess his point is, he does not have to do it manually. Link will talk to the device "file xxcvbd is being copied to the PC" and the device will send a decrypted version.
    Someone stated earlier that they decrypt then backup their data, but based on this decryption wouldn't be necessary. Is this correct?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 10:42 PM
    No need as far as I remember, yeah.

And I do use encrypion from time to time.
    02-23-15 10:59 PM
    A poll should be done to see how many people actually use the encryption feature to secure their data. Especially since these devices were sold under the premise of being more secure I'm truly curious if this security feature is being utilised.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 07:04 AM
69 123