@Slagman :
    Google is working on technologies like that. That's why they are liked. They look into the future instead of the past. Even if you find that laughable.

And btw I kind of like the tool belt. But it's not about what I like. It's about what's best for the brand. I have an opinion and you have one. And that's fine. That's why we are here for: constructively exchanging opinions. Not to hype everything blackberry does to the sky. That has never got anyone anywhere.
    Posted via CB10
    And the point, woosh, right over your head... I'm not against ADDING features (like the tool belt) I'm mocking the idea that having "old" features makes the phone worse. The tool belt is IN ADDITION to existing, modern, concepts, not in place of. Your whole perception that merely having a so-called "old" feature on the phone makes it inferior is the thing we are mocking with those comments. But I guess I flew the point too high and it went right over your head. Sorry...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-11-14 01:18 PM
    If they could make a purely gesture-based UI that was as efficient and fast as the belt-based UI, then I say go for that. I'm not being sarcastic - I'd actually like to see it.

But they haven't done it yet, and I doubt that it is even possible. When you're dealing with hundreds of emails and phone calls, lots of web browsing on mobile-unfriendly sites, and lots of text-editing, the belt is always going to win in terms of speed and efficiency. Is it uglier? Is it a step backwards? Who cares! It's better!

All of the negativity regarding the belt seems to amount to:

- they'll admit to having made a mistake
    - they'll be going backwards
    - they'll dilute the brand

These are all arguments based on appearances, rather than substance.

And I say: f*ck appearances. They should make the best, fastest, most efficient communication tool that they can, and who cares about the optics.

Is it really better to deliberately make an inferior product so they can keep the integrity of the BB10 brand? It's not like the BB10 brand even has a huge value at the moment.

Also: one of the other things that Steve Jobs said was: stop trying to compete with your competitors' products. Instead, focus on making the best product you can, delighting your own customers.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 01:51 PM
    A greater danger by BlackBerry is doing nothing to satisfy the base or to get them to upgrade to BB10. Many Legacy device users like myself upgraded to the Q10 and haven't looked back. Many upgraded and then went back to Legacy devices, some due to not having the tool belt.

They absolutely CANNOT afford to lose their base.

It would be a potentially fatal mistake to not recognize the reality that Legacy devices still outsell BB10 phones and just stand pat, wishing on a star that those users will eventually upgrade to BB10.

Look at the t-mobile sham of a deal, 94% BlackBerry users who participated in that switched from BlackBerry to iOs or Android.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-11-14 03:06 PM
    I'm still on a Bold 9930 because the Q10 doesn't have a toolbelt. My primary uses of my BB are email and messaging. I cannot stand editing or selecting text on a touch screen. It is horridly inefficient. Every time I try this on my iPad I have a fit of tourettes. I've tried it on a Z10 and I'm not fond of that either. It's a no-brainer to bring back the tool belt. bb10s aren't selling enough, many long time BB customers were alienated by switch to all gesture, and the current BB10 line up lacks the efficiency and effective of older BB7 phones.
    th.1977 and acovey like this.
    03-11-14 03:41 PM
    I'm still on a Bold 9930 because the Q10 doesn't have a toolbelt. My primary uses of my BB are email and messaging. I cannot stand editing or selecting text on a touch screen. It is horridly inefficient. Every time I try this on my iPad I have a fit of tourettes. I've tried it on a Z10 and I'm not fond of that either. It's a no-brainer to bring back the tool belt. bb10s aren't selling enough, many long time BB customers were alienated by switch to all gesture, and the current BB10 line up lacks the efficiency and effective of older BB7 phones.
    Lending credence to my points.

03-11-14 04:21 PM
    We went from "BlackBerry should listen to its users more, that's how they'll succeed" to "BlackBerry shouldn't listen to its user, that's how they'll fail" pretty quickly haha.
    CDM76, th.1977 and ekv like this.
    03-11-14 05:12 PM
    Forget you, your needs are not important... Screw all people like you, you guys need to learn to just jump on the bandwagon like everyone else. (joking)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-11-14 05:14 PM
    Damn, you're right! Let me add something: blackberry wants to be the brand for people who want to get things done, people that alway know what they want and how to get it - businessmen - so there should be no room for childish games, no room for "I can't decide"!
    If they bring back that ugly belt, it let's people believe that the guys behind BlackBerry don't know what they want.

Posted via CB10
    Blah blah same old speech an nauseum verbatim; same with security.

1. It's at its core is at 256bit AES encryption which is on par with BB10.
    - file system still hasn't been fully hacked sure you have password issues which maybe all it needs but I'm sure when apple fully solidifies the UI in a secure layer separate from where the password lies then what will BlackBerry have then to argue. (if you haven't noticed BlackBerry themselves are no longer hyping the ID as secure but their NOC and BES as an end to end solution being secure ~ wonder why?!

2. The fact remains many left BlackBerry because they didn't need the in depth of the security just security that was good enough for their personal data and itinerary. They also left mostly because of BBOS' horrible menu structure which will also suffer the same issue we're beginning to see with WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. Now we'll see an even more cluttered Hub menu structure because the feed back from die hard legacy users will also expect the menus to return as they feel that track pad is efficient to get through such menus.

While touch screens continue to evolve along with keyboards being software based saving huge production and testing costs vs hardware keyboards BlackBerry will still be faced with issues in hardware buttons which affects their bottom.line and end user content leading to unsatisfied and grumbling public user base - just take a look at the top 10 frequent posted Q10 threads!!!

I love the design and feel if the Q10 as much as anyone else and will still purchase on next month but I honestly think the real revenue in the prosumer segment is the Z3, Z10 upgrade and the Z30 and it's brother at the end of this year.

Case in point: this is the 2nd BlackBerry CEO since BB10 debut to launch a smartphone that is a touch screen first under their watch vs a hardware keyboard based device.

Really what is the point of BB10's gesture based touch screen when you have the buttons and a track pad to do everything in the first place.

It really seems that BlackBerry is really unsure what direction they wish to go, or their confused which of the two they should be going.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    dejanh and SteelGreek like this.
    03-11-14 08:49 PM
    I didn't like the idea of a tool belt being re introduced but last night my Q10 touch screen stopped working. The phone works fine, I receive notifications and calls but I can read them or pick up phone calls because the touch screen randomly stopped working. Its a time lil this where having a tool belt might have been handy because I would still be able to access the phone.

On the whole I still don't like the idea of a tool belt taking up screen real estate.
    03-11-14 08:56 PM
    The problem with the tool belt is, it can make everyone on old BB switch to it. People like me with a Z10 will then be outnumbered. It makes me feel insecure. And I have no choice but to replace my Z10 with it. Tool belt makes me dangerous. I hate you BB, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
    clickitykeys and acovey like this.
    03-11-14 09:15 PM
    I didn't like the idea of a tool belt being re introduced but last night my Q10 touch screen stopped working. The phone works fine, I receive notifications and calls but I can read them or pick up phone calls because the touch screen randomly stopped working. Its a time lil this where having a tool belt might have been handy because I would still be able to access the phone.

On the whole I still don't like the idea of a tool belt taking up screen real estate.
    For the 10 zillionth time ...if the screen is SQUARE - the tool belt makes NO DIFFERENCE to the screen size. The Q20 will be smaller than the Z30.
    SteelGreek likes this.
    03-11-14 09:35 PM
    The problem with the tool belt is, it can make everyone on old BB switch to it. People like me with a Z10 will then be outnumbered. It makes me feel insecure. And I have no choice but to replace my Z10 with it. Tool belt makes me dangerous. I hate you BB, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
    Is this sarcasm? Or would you really hate if people on Legacy devices upgraded to BB10?

03-11-14 09:49 PM
    I'd like to start this thread with a quote by Steve Jobs (yes the apple guy)

It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."
    ? Steve Jobs

Why am I doing this? Because I think bringing back the tool belt bears a lot of dangers:

1. By listening to the long term blackberry customers you might make the fan base happy, but scare off a lot of potential clients. Why? Because you go back to a style people think looks dated.

2. You destroy everything you build up with BlackBerry 10. When I got my z10 I could brag about how os10 is innovative and completely gesture based - it won't be anymore with the tool belt. You will make the os feel archaic.

3. If all brands would have listened to what the clients would have liked we'd probably wouldn't have computers, phones or any other invention one person thought of. And that's exactly what I want to say:

Innovation doesn't come from a group of people. It comes from an individual/one company with a Vision. I hope blackberry has one and isn't just trying to please us BlackBerry fans from now on. I think it could be their end.

Posted via CB10

1. Potentially scaring off customers: Well, if that's true, they were also scared off by the Q10. The record amount of returns and low sales numbers tells just that.

2. Style that looks dead: Mr. Chen stressed he does not know how to make a phone look cool. That's why he hired a team to make this happen. The Q20 will have a new look and feel to it. Guaranteed.

3. Destroy what you built up in BB10: The Q20 will allow users to either use only gesture based control or a bit of both. Kind of like the Torch. Also, the device will likely have advanced technology within the belt.

This Q20 is for Enterprise customers. This does not mean other BlackBerry models will follow suit. After enough people get used to BB10, Mr. Chen will have the option of excluding the belt on the follow up enterprise device.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    03-11-14 10:30 PM
    1. Potentially scaring off customers: Well, if that's true, they were also scared off by the Q10. The record amount of returns and low sales numbers tells just that.

2. Style that looks dead: Mr. Chen stressed he does not know how to make a phone look cool. That's why he hired a team to make this happen. The Q20 will have a new look and feel to it. Guaranteed.

3. Destroy what you built up in BB10: The Q20 will allow users to either use only gesture based control or a bit of both. Kind of like the Torch. Also, the device will likely have advanced technology within the belt.

This Q20 is for Enterprise customers. This does not mean other BlackBerry models will follow suit. After enough people get used to BB10, Mr. Chen will have the option of excluding the belt on the follow up enterprise device.

Posted via CB10
    So once all those stupid BBOS hillbillies have done their learnin on a phone with a belt and suspenders by golly they will be just swiping every which way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-12-14 12:46 AM
    So once all those stupid BBOS hillbillies have done their learnin on a phone with a belt and suspenders by golly they will be just swiping every which way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Yes'em Sir.....You's gots it now!
    Seriously, I don't get it either, but that's what BlackBerry is up against.
    Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 12:57 AM
    I don't think it's guaranteed, we'll have to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by Joe Clean; 03-12-14 at 08:26 AM.
    03-12-14 06:22 AM
    lol

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    03-12-14 06:29 AM
    I don't think it's guaranteed, we'll have to see how it turns out.
    Did I mention I have a gambling problem

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:41 AM
    Here's a little thought. This niche that BBRY is supposedly going after are high end, business executives that have never spent a day on Crackberry. They don't know what sideload means and they don't have a lot of time to learn new OS's...since they are on their phone from the time they get up in the morning until they go to sleep at night....non stop.

So this might be the perfect phone for BBRY's new "niche" market. Haters can put that in their pipe and smoke it.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    03-12-14 10:02 AM
    I'd like to start this thread with a quote by Steve Jobs (yes the apple guy)

It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."
    ? Steve Jobs

Posted via CB10
    Re: Tool belt (trackpad with call and hang buttons)
    We saw it, we used it, we liked it.
    xBURK likes this.
    03-12-14 01:10 PM
    Ask anyone who has picked up a bb10 then walked away what they didn't like about it and they will say couldn't operate it, to hard, that's the gestures and Hub driving away customers. The belt is what's selling BBs. As for ugly that's just your opinion. Not being in favor of something doesn't make it ugly. What are you a 10 year old girl? The BB10 os was so unfinished on release they left out lots of things, are they all bad .the Q10 would have sold more with a belt, by the way keyboards are even more old fashioned but BlackBerry is still making them dis bite some people putting them down and calling them ugly and old.

Posted via CB10
    Johberry likes this.
    03-13-14 05:32 PM
    LOL @ the people who think the gesture navigation is so great that everyone should be forced to use it even though it slows them down.
    03-13-14 06:51 PM
    Tool Belt = Training Wheels for using BB10.

RyanGermann likes this.
    03-13-14 07:08 PM
    Ask anyone who has picked up a bb10 then walked away what they didn't like about it and they will say couldn't operate it, to hard, that's the gestures and Hub driving away customers. The belt is what's selling BBs. As for ugly that's just your opinion. Not being in favor of something doesn't make it ugly. What are you a 10 year old girl? The BB10 os was so unfinished on release they left out lots of things, are they all bad .the Q10 would have sold more with a belt, by the way keyboards are even more old fashioned but BlackBerry is still making them dis bite some people putting them down and calling them ugly and old.

Posted via CB10
    When mankind switched from riding horses to driving cars people found it to be very complicated because they were used to the horses. The German Kaiser even predicted the car is just a fashion thing that will dissappear soon again.

What I'm saying is, that we can't stick to old routines forever in order to move on. There's many Q10 owners out there that say they're at least as productive as they were on their legacy device. What are you an 80 year old senior?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 03:16 AM
    When mankind switched from riding horses to driving cars people found it to be very complicated because they were used to the horses. The German Kaiser even predicted the car is just a fashion thing that will dissappear soon again.

What I'm saying is, that we can't stick to old routines forever in order to move on. There's many Q10 owners out there that say they're at least as productive as they were on their legacy device. What are you an 80 year old senior?

Posted via CB10
    Q10 owner here. In fact, I own two Q10's. Love this phone, but the analogy is flawed.

Cars speed you up more than 100x the speed of riding on a horse.

Text selection/highlighting, answering/denying/hanging up phone calls are simply easier and faster to do with a trackpad and function keys.

Johberry likes this.
    03-14-14 06:36 AM
139 1234 ...