Traded in my old Classic for my current S7. The S7 is a really good phone and I needed it for my previous job for many of the apps (travel, Concur, etc). I don't need any of the apps anymore; just a phone for calls, email, text, calendar, and contacts. The Q and Classic (S7 as well) do these very well. Being that I have a Q already I'm looking for some input to see if it is worth it at this point to spend $200 US on a NIB Classic or just stick with the Q. I know ultimately it is my choice, but I like to see the arguing points.

The pluses for the Classic are the screen, tool belt and wireless charging.

The pluses for the Q are swappable battery and size/weight.

Much of the rest is the same, and IMO, including the PKB.

Thanks
    05-14-17 06:39 PM
    I would just go for a used Passport instead of the Classic, since you've used one before. I have used all 3 (Q10, Passport, Classic). I suspect you'll like the speed and size of the Passport better than the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    ArbuckleWillis likes this.
    05-15-17 04:17 AM
    Traded in my old Classic for my current S7. The S7 is a really good phone and I needed it for my previous job for many of the apps (travel, Concur, etc). I don't need any of the apps anymore; just a phone for calls, email, text, calendar, and contacts. The Q and Classic (S7 as well) do these very well. Being that I have a Q already I'm looking for some input to see if it is worth it at this point to spend $200 US on a NIB Classic or just stick with the Q. I know ultimately it is my choice, but I like to see the arguing points.

The pluses for the Classic are the screen, tool belt and wireless charging.

The pluses for the Q are swappable battery and size/weight.

Much of the rest is the same, and IMO, including the PKB.

Thanks
    How did you go with this?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 07:08 AM
    So I purchased a Classic on eBay and got it for a great price, unopened - never used. I'll never say anything bad about BlackBerry, but I think I may have out grown it. Everything I loved about the Classic and wanted to use it for seems to be done the same or better by my Samsung S7.

I hear people down play Android but I have mine set up exactly how my BlackBerry was in the past. In fact, it might be better because I have been able to customize to what my needs and wants are.

For example, the presets. I used the majority of my 20 or so options on the Classic to call contacts or compose a text or email. The S7 allows for 99 presets using the dial pad or placing shortcuts on the home screen and I can compose a new email/text with a touch.

Calls. Both are clear and do what the need to in that department. However, I live in an area where my provider doesn't have the best reception while I am at my house. I work from home so this poses a bit of a problem. An edge that the S7 has over the Classic is wifi calling. I learned that I can put the S7 in airplane mode and force all calls to use wifi all the time. My calls are now crystal clear.

Another use of the Classic was email. This is still a great part of the Classic. However, I purchased an email app (Nine) for the S7 for $10 and it has been the best emailing experience I have ever had. I get a black/dark theme, notification customization, a signature line that I can make look identical to Outlook and so much more.

One of things I missed from my BlackBerry was physical answer/hang up buttons. I do have these on the S7. When the phone rings, I push the home button to answer the call and to hang up, I use the power button. Easy enough.

Finally, the keyboard. Yes I do like the physical keyboard; however, I downloaded the BlackBerry virtual keyboard to the S7 and love it. It has all the shortcuts as if it were a BlackBerry phone using a virtual keyboard.

In the end, I will send the Classic back or sell it. Not because it is a bad phone, but for the reason I mentioned earlier, I have outgrown it. Perhaps "outgrown" isn't the correct word, but I have changed and my needs changed as well. I still primarily only use my phone for the basics, but the S7 is doing these basics very well.
    05-21-17 11:14 PM
    Hmm. Great points mentioned. It is true - the Classic and BB10 represents the best of BlackBerry - but the writing is on the wall, and Android is the way to go. If anything, nostalgia is the main reason why I continue to rely on the Classic, despite having another (more recent) Android device.

I too, installed the BlackBerry virtual keyboard on my Android and love it. It is probably the best virtual keyboard out there.

One draw of the Classic: it's size, which lends it to be a lot more portable than today's phablets. Plus the fact that with a physical keyboard, I'm less prone to making errors when typing.

I would like to see a Classic 2, with Android and more modern hardware architecture, but that could just be wishful thinking.

The Keyone doesn't strike me as more aesthetically appealing than the Classic, but I guess I'm the minority in this regard.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 03:15 AM