Just finished my first week with the Classic (upgrading from Q10, which was an upgrade from 9900). I thought I'd summarize my experience for those considering an upgrade. Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy, and I've had Android and Apple - I just prefer the BB. So...

The good: keyboard size is big, screen is big - great for those age 40+ . OS 10 is still nice (though I'm not sold on the big blue focused default button on screens). The hangup + pickup physical buttons are great.

The bad: size + weight. This thing is huge and heavy, and will pull your pants off if you're not wearing a belt! When I moved from 9900 to Q10 I wasn't thrilled with the size increase - but the Classic is a size too far. Next the menu/back buttons: great idea poorly implemented (they're just a shortcut to onscreen gestures - useless). And the touchpad - ok but poorly integrated into the OS.

So if you're a Q10 user you might want to skip this "upgrade". If your a phablet android or iphone 6 user then this might be the phone for you.

I'm debating switching back to q10 just because this thing is too big to wear on my suit belt. (Feels like I hung a tablet on my pants).
    12-27-14 06:06 PM
    I'll be sure to wear a belt when I carry the Classic.

Next the menu/back buttons: great idea poorly implemented (they're just a shortcut to onscreen gestures - useless). .
    If they are shortcuts....then how are they useless? Aren't shortcuts....a GOOD thing? Like the call and hang up buttons that you just praised?

And the touchpad - ok but poorly integrated into the OS..
    How so? Doesn't it simply go to all the potential highlight able areas so you can just click them instead of touching them, just like it did with BBOS?

(Feels like I hung a tablet on my pants).
    I'm sure it's big, but I see people wearing big Androids and Iphone 6+ on their belt. It's still smaller than the Z30.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-27-14 06:16 PM
    Very helpful, thanks for that. I'm a Q10 guy when I'm not driving Windows Phone.I've been thinking I love the dedicated call/hangup buttons, but I've been a little concerned about size and weight (one of the main things I love about the Q10 is its small size. I can even stick it in what's kind of a zippo lighter pocket that's on the right side, above the main pocket, of some classic Wrangler-type jeans.

I'm sure I'll look at the Classic if AT&T ever actually carries it in stores, but upgrading to BB10 OS 3.x will probably hold me just fine for awhile.
    hcaliste likes this.
    12-27-14 06:31 PM
    Just finished my first week with the Classic (upgrading from Q10, which was an upgrade from 9900). I thought I'd summarize my experience for those considering an upgrade. Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy, and I've had Android and Apple - I just prefer the BB. So...

The good: keyboard size is big, screen is big - great for those age 40+ . OS 10 is still nice (though I'm not sold on the big blue focused default button on screens). The hangup + pickup physical buttons are great.

The bad: size + weight. This thing is huge and heavy, and will pull your pants off if you're not wearing a belt! When I moved from 9900 to Q10 I wasn't thrilled with the size increase - but the Classic is a size too far. Next the menu/back buttons: great idea poorly implemented (they're just a shortcut to onscreen gestures - useless). And the touchpad - ok but poorly integrated into the OS.

So if you're a Q10 user you might want to skip this "upgrade". If your a phablet android or iphone 6 user then this might be the phone for you.

I'm debating switching back to q10 just because this thing is too big to wear on my suit belt. (Feels like I hung a tablet on my pants).
    LOL...really....right i'm 58
    12-27-14 06:39 PM

Thanks for the review. The size and weight are perfect for me (I always wear a belt). Q10 was too tiny and the Classic feels just right.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    12-27-14 07:00 PM
    '...will pull your pants off'

Really? .....i mean, really?

Again one of those 'buhu-its-not-what-I-wanted' posts....

I so love to have a back-button and a trackpad again, and they nearly work EVERYWHERE!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 07:12 PM
    A slightly different perspective:

no way it is too big and too heavy. Perfect size-upgrade from a Q. The only pants that it is pulling down slightly are the sweat pants that I wear at home. And only because I'm too lazy to by me new ones with a non worn out waistband ;-)

Since I have the classic, I'm constantly using end call+return buttons to close apps, rather than the OS10 gestures. Less error prone, faster, I just love that. Increasingly, I'm finding myself using the return button in the browser. Very convenient. Not useless at all.

Track pad: I'm not using it for scrolling or for pressing links or buttons on a webpage. I'm too familiar with screen tapping for these purposes already. However, for text editing, it is simply heaven, compared to the Qs.

The only button I have not yet found a real purpose for (me!) is the menu button.

I also had/have both the Q10 and the Q5, which to me feel ridiculous now, after one week on the Classic.
    Superfly_FR and ViaCassian like this.
    12-27-14 07:25 PM

no way it is too big and too heavy. Perfect size-upgrade from a Q. The only pants that it is pulling down slightly are the sweat pants that I wear at home. And only because I'm too lazy to by me new ones with a non worn out waistband ;-)

Since I have the classic, I'm constantly using end call+return buttons to close apps, rather than the OS10 gestures. Less error prone, faster, I just love that. Increasingly, I'm finding myself using the return button in the browser. Very convenient. Not useless at all.

Track pad: I'm not using it for scrolling or for pressing links or buttons on a webpage. I'm too familiar with screen tapping for these purposes already. However, for text editing, it is simply heaven, compared to the Qs.

The only button I have not yet found a real purpose for (me!) is the menu button.

I also had/have both the Q10 and the Q5, which to me feel ridiculous now, after one week on the Classic.
    Yea, that menu button... the only button I don't really use.

I agree with everything you have said above minus the scrolling. I use the trackpad for everything. I rarely use the touch screen now. I only use the touch screen for this cb10 app. They have no button for next page, or no button for pulling the page down to go to a certain page. They fix that, I won't use my touchscreen at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 07:55 PM
    That fact that the BACK button will actual minimize then close a window doesn't seem right. (I wish it would just go back to previous screen / app)

Menu....I'm not sure how to fix that. Seems like MENU and BACK were added because they had space on the tool belt. Which gives me a great idea for the Q30 ! Watch for my concept
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-27-14 08:57 PM
    That fact that the BACK button will actual minimize then close a window doesn't seem right. (I wish it would just go back to previous screen / app)

Menu....I'm not sure how to fix that. Seems like MENU and BACK were added because they had space on the tool belt. Which gives me a great idea for the Q30 ! Watch for my concept
    I believe that Back button does go to previous screen within an app if there is one to go to. If not, the previous is then considered to be the minimize state, and then one more press closes it completely. As opposed to the End button that will send the app directly to minimize state before executing any back moves within the app itself. This is exactly how BBOS did it....except that BBOS could go back to the previous app. No, you have to touch the previous app once you go to a minimized state.

Menu and back weren't add because of space, they were part of the original belt to begin with.
    Mr4aces and geekaren like this.
    12-27-14 09:04 PM
    Yea, that menu button... the only button I don't really use.

I agree with everything you have said above minus the scrolling. I use the trackpad for everything. I rarely use the touch screen now. I only use the touch screen for this cb10 app. They have no button for next page, or no button for pulling the page down to go to a certain page. They fix that, I won't use my touchscreen at all.

Posted via CB10
    use the menu button... work just fine to bring the side window where you can find the previous or next page when there is more than 1 page
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-27-14 10:38 PM

see post above
    12-27-14 10:39 PM
    use the menu button... work just fine to bring the side window where you can find the previous or next page when there is more than 1 page
    No effin' way!!!

I thought I knew everything... God it feels good to feel human again!

Thanks pal!

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-27-14 10:52 PM
    ... The bad: size + weight. This thing is huge and heavy, and will pull your pants off if you're not wearing a belt! When I moved from 9900 to Q10 I wasn't thrilled with the size increase - but the Classic is a size too far. ...
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments. They show how important individual likes and dislikes are when it comes to phones. But for someone who uses a phone for long business days, my Bold 9900 had to have that "heavy" Seidio Super Extended-Life Battery. It caused the Bold to weigh in at about 6.4 oz while the Classic weighs about 6.3 oz (on my scale). So there was nothing too heavy about the Classic to me.

The Classic's larger size at the same weight as my 9900 (with the bigger battery) would never be a reason for me not to get the Classic. In fact, when I saw the specs for the Classic's battery I wondered if it was also too small for long days.

Your good post showed the benefits of giving our own uses and likes so potential buyers can find current Classic owners who seem to have the same needs and preferences -- so potential buyers can get some idea of what might work well for them. And even then we all make compromises about wants and preferences when selecting a phone.

For me the Classic's designers seem to have made the compromises necessary to meet more of my needs and personal preferences than any other phone.
    geekaren and Alain_A like this.
    12-27-14 11:18 PM
    No effin' way!!!

I thought I knew everything... God it feels good to feel human again!

Thanks pal!

Posted via CB10
    welcome....Lol
    12-27-14 11:20 PM
    see post above
    I knew about this function of the menu button. But I prefer screen tapping in this case. Therefore, for me it has no use - yet.
    But this is the beauty of the Classic-you can operate it in full BBOS mode, or OS10, or a combination.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Alain_A like this.
    12-28-14 06:01 AM
    It DOES bring you back to the previous screen. Only if the previous screen was the home screen, you will land on the home screen, and a subsequent push of the return key will close the app.
    My favourite method that I outlined to close an app was to quickly push the end call and then the return button.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 06:05 AM
    I believe that Back button does go to previous screen within an app if there is one to go to. If not, the previous is then considered to be the minimize state, and then one more press closes it completely. As opposed to the End button that will send the app directly to minimize state before executing any back moves within the app itself. This is exactly how BBOS did it....except that BBOS could go back to the previous app. No, you have to touch the previous app once you go to a minimized state.

Menu and back weren't add because of space, they were part of the original belt to begin with.
    This is exactly my experience also.
    12-28-14 08:49 AM
    I knew about this function of the menu button. But I prefer screen tapping in this case. Therefore, for me it has no use - yet.
    But this is the beauty of the Classic-you can operate it in full BBOS mode, or OS10, or a combination.

Posted via CB10
    that is right both ways
    12-28-14 10:53 AM
    CNET lists twelve most important mobile devices of 2014, one of which is the BlackBerry Classic and Passport:

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-12-...2014-pictures/

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-28-14 11:04 AM
    It seems to me only the End button should close an app. Single tap to minimize app, single tap again to close app.

I'd think the Back button should function as it does with the exception of closing an app. I see many inadvertent app closings and frustrated users.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 05:41 PM
    +1 .... I've accidentally closed apps I didn't want to. Maybe just keep cycling back to focus on prior running apps...
    12-28-14 05:46 PM
    After an app is minimized, does a single-press of the Back button actually close the app? In my opinion, a better design would have been a long-press of the Back button. That makes a lot more sense to me.
    12-28-14 05:50 PM
    one can use the end call button minimise the app.... when you are done with it press the back button to close it...works really well that way
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-28-14 at 06:18 PM.
    emkay47 likes this.
    12-28-14 06:05 PM
    After an app is minimized, does a single-press of the Back button actually close the app? In my opinion, a better design would have been a long-press of the Back button. That makes a lot more sense to me.
    Yup -

I agree on the above. I sometimes click the backbutton expecting it to go back one step, but sometimes it leaves the app :/

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 06:14 PM
30 12