Ok BB10 is not quite dead yet... but the end is coming and it's probably not far off.

BB10 has been moved to a palliative care hospice. (No new SDKs / APIs / developer tools.)

There is a Do Not Resuscitate order on file. (No more significant internal development / most of the developers laid off.)

The nurses are keeping it comfortable and checking in on it now and then. (We're fully committed! Two security updates coming!)

BB10's friends and loved ones continue to see it every day and put on a brave face.
    10-21-16 10:24 AM
    Ok BB10 is not quite dead yet... but the end is coming and it's probably not far off.

BB10 has been moved to a palliative care hospice. (No new SDKs / APIs / developer tools.)

There is a Do Not Resuscitate order on file. (No more significant internal development / most of the developers laid off.)

The nurses are keeping it comfortable and checking in on it now and then. (We're fully committed! Two security updates coming!)

BB10's friends and loved ones continue to see it every day and put on a brave face.
    And for some reason random people feel the need to walk in and tell BB10's friends and loved ones there's no point in supporting it - that they should abandon it and move on.

Pretty classy.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    johnsliderbb and bigjman like this.
    10-21-16 10:37 AM
    Yes, the lag in the text messages is a bummer indeed. And while the trackpad is smaller on the Classic, it'll definitely relieve the headache you're getting trying to move the cursor around with the Q10. It's partially why my Q10 is now my kitchen timer and I use the Classic full-time...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    For me, on BB10 there is lag everywhere! At least when compared to BBOS
    The HUB lags, the search (anywhere, HUB, Contacts, Universal Search, phone app, Calendar, Media Apps).
    And I have seen this on every BB10 device I have used (Z10,Z3, Q5, Z30, Classic)
    Even the speed dials are slower than BBOS.
    But there is nothing I can do about it because I know BlackBerry is never going to improve upon it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-21-16 10:46 AM
    And for some reason random people feel the need to walk in and tell BB10's friends and loved ones there's no point in supporting it - that they should abandon it and move on.

Pretty classy.

Not exactly. No one is talking to the friends.

In a company with fixed resources, shareholders are asking the administration to pull the plug on the 98 year old on life support to instead divert the funds to help children in need.
    10-21-16 10:52 AM
    Not exactly. No one is talking to the friends.

In a company with fixed resources, shareholders are asking the administration to pull the plug on the 98 year old on life support to instead divert the funds to help children in need.
    Yes, exactly. I see people in the CB forums daily who mock BB10 users and fans, compare BB10 phones to feature phones, and basically dance on BB10's imaginary grave.

It's a phone. Dead or not, what is the point of bashing a platform and the people who use it?

Couver81 likes this.
    10-21-16 11:04 AM
    Again I think it all depends on your usage. There are still lots of people who use a phone with basic needs like texting and email.

This will still work just fine. Personally I'm fine with BB10 as is. It suits my needs just fine and I can use a tablet or my backup phone for any apps and things that I need.

I prefer to keep my work and personal information separate anyways.
    10-21-16 11:08 AM
    Yes, exactly. I see people in the CB forums daily who mock BB10 users and fans, compare BB10 phones to feature phones, and basically dance on BB10's imaginary grave.

It's a phone. Dead or not, what is the point of bashing a platform and the people who use it?

I'm not bashing BB10 or its users (I am one, after all). But I am not going to lie to myself or others about it either. The OS is dead. The user base is tiny. I would not be surprised if there were more Windows 95 users hanging on. There are certainly more XP users.

I'll believe updates are coming when I see them. At this point, BB10 is a cost center for BlackBerry, it's never going to contribute to revenue again. I am skeptical 10.3.3 is coming at all.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by keyboardweeb; 10-21-16 at 11:42 AM.
    10-21-16 11:32 AM
    For me, on BB10 there is lag everywhere! At least when compared to BBOS
    The HUB lags, the search (anywhere, HUB, Contacts, Universal Search, phone app, Calendar, Media Apps).
    And I have seen this on every BB10 device I have used (Z10,Z3, Q5, Z30, Classic)
    Even the speed dials are slower than BBOS.
    But there is nothing I can do about it because I know BlackBerry is never going to improve upon it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Those other areas didn't lag in the beginning of BB10. It wasn't until they added BB Assistant that those things became laggy...

10-21-16 01:07 PM
    Those other areas didn't lag in the beginning of BB10. It wasn't until they added BB Assistant that those things became laggy...

True, the HUB among other things was a lot better in 10.2.1
    Atleast the HUB had zero lag.
    Even then I found BB10 extremely animation heavy which made it slow on comparison to BBOS.
    I have been using a curve 9220 for the last 3 odd months and I love the speed of the phone. Everything is instantaneous
    The phone app, the speed dials, the universal search, search in msgs or contacts. Everything

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-21-16 01:28 PM
    True, the HUB among other things was a lot better in 10.2.1
    Atleast the HUB had zero lag.
    Even then I found BB10 extremely animation heavy which made it slow on comparison to BBOS.
    I have been using a curve 9220 for the last 3 odd months and I love the speed of the phone. Everything is instantaneous
    The phone app, the speed dials, the universal search, search in msgs or contacts. Everything

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Actually, I noticed the opposite about the hub. I found the hub performed worse before the update, but universal search, shortcuts, speed dials and those things got slower after the update.

Not sure about the hub searches though, but the time between opening a long conversation and being able to type.

But BBOS was faster than BB10 in that both before and after the update...

10-21-16 01:37 PM

This is fairly standard when a company shifts direction. It happened fairly frequently with the move from BBOS to BB10 as well. I'm not saying it is right or that I agree with it. Just that having been around at that time as well it doesn't surprise me. It's disappointing though because some people don't realize that not everyone can just drop everything and move to a new phone/platform that easily. For better or worse BlackBerry is still selling BB10 phones and still claiming BB10 has some level of support. It's not out of line for BB10 owners to still be around Crackberry in light of that. They are still customer despite what many here and even BlackBerry think.

The sad thing is that the people who jumped ship to Android are in a similar boat anyway since the Android BB phones have sold even worse than BB10. It's likely they'll see a drop in support down the line too. Yet here we all are fighting among ourselves.
    10-21-16 01:40 PM
    Actually, I noticed the opposite about the hub. I found the hub performed worse before the update, but universal search, shortcuts, speed dials and those things got slower after the update.

Not sure about the hub searches though, but the time between opening a long conversation and being able to type.

But BBOS was faster than BB10 in that both before and after the update...

I have found the HUB slower post 10.3.1 on all the phones I have used. So say I open a BBM msg and after that I open an email or a WhatsApp chat, there will be a minimum 2 second lag, which wasn't there on 10.2.1. Mails (reply part) are slow as hell on 10.3.1 and beyond.
    Speed dials were already slower on 10.2.1 even (compared to BBOS) but the funny thing is a subsequent speed dial in a short time span is very fast (as in, you make a call from speed dial right now, if you use the speed dial again within a couple of minutes, it will be really fast)
    In general I have found BB10 slower in everything compared to BBOS whether it be opening apps, or making calls or ending calls, everything. Don't know how the developers never noticed this.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-21-16 01:57 PM
    Tap and hold the date header in the list of messages. In the menu that slides out from the right of the screen you will see a "Mark Prior Read" option.

I was going to say that. I just found that out myself after reading this post

Posted from my BlackBerry Classic
    10-21-16 02:36 PM

Obviously BB10 does not suit your needs.

It suits mine better than any other and does EVERYTHING well for me, phone, txt, email, pictures, streaming videos, music, talk shows, downloading of anything and everything no apps needed, well, except some from BB World, browsing. And a darned good word program, although I must confess to having grief figuring out the spreadsheet features correctly.

And furthermore, it's relaxing, dependable, efficient at multitasking, and doesn't spy on me much.

And it's Super Hot-Looking, most especially the Silver Passport.

Have a good time with your better choice, whatever that might be.
    10-22-16 10:29 PM
    Why are we talking about an OS that is not being developed any further anyway?
    Because people like you and me like reading and writing responses to this kind of topic.

Posted through my BlackBerry
    11-10-16 02:59 AM
    I wonder if a third party does license the os if we'd get a fully featured blackberry or would it be a stripped down "communications tool" like you see being sold at the grocery stores? I'm one of those rare people that uses very few apps other than the stock apps. I'd be cool with that.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 10:57 AM
    I feel like they'd want to put their own branding a bit on it so unfortunately they'd likely come with a few of their own tweaks I'd think.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 12:51 PM
    This all seems true. Thanks for your thoughts. ..jf..
    11-20-16 02:42 PM
68 123