In November of last year, I put down my ancient candybar phone and got in the market for something web-enabled. My first instinct was Blackberry, but I was leery of the lack of app support - surely there had to be *something* running Android (Apple didn't, and does not as a rule, figure into my consideration) that wouldn't leave me dependent on a touchscreen.

...or not. Okay, Blackberry it was then, apps or no apps. But considering I like to hold on to technology for a good long time once I get used to it, I might as well get the very newest one out there, to squeeze the maximum amount of years from it before it was outdated.

...what's that you say? The latest QWERTY-enabled Blackberry doesn't have a trackpad? Well ****. Okay, fine, I'll skip back a generation or so.

I dithered and debated and bemoaned the impossibility of holding the phone in my hand and playing with it before committing to an Amazon purchase, but finally settled on the Bold 9790.

Please bear in mind that my standards were low, coming as I was from my faithful Samsung C207 (look it up and laugh), but I fell in love. Device navigation, web browsing, context menus, and text entry and manipulation were all easy and intuitive. (By comparison, whenever I get handed my roommate's Alcatel Fierce and told 'Here, figure out how to make it do X', I'm presently overcome by the urge to fling it across the room and scream.) And I could still see myself hanging on to it for another decade until I'm forced to upgrade to a phone embedded in my eyelashes or whatever the trend is then.

But upon announcement of the Classic, I was tempted for several reasons. Apps are the main one - I'm getting really sick of the 'click here for Android/click here for iPhone' buttons. (I like to imagine there's an invisible button beside them that reads 'for Blackberry, go screw yourself'.) And of the few I could find with BB support, many demanded OS10. What's more, I understand that 10 can sideload at least some Android apps. Yes, I've got enough on my Bold for my basic needs - a text editor, an Office analogue, facebook, google maps, a few games, and of course I can accomplish most of what I need to on the internet itself. But I've yet to find a decent radio or music streaming app, and most commercial or site-based offerings are out of the question. (My local library endeared itself to me (further) by including a BB version of its chosen e-book app, but I still long for Goodreads.)

I also find video to be laggy on occasion, though I never watch much beyond youtube, and a front-facing camera would be nice. Ditto the option to have more than one text or Office document open at once. And I frequently wish there were a 'select all' function or a way to remote-kill a buggy program without restarting the whole phone.

If this were a year ago, I'd grab the Classic without hesitation, but I've grown spoiled by the Bold's small, rounded, comfy hand-feel and my collection of charged spare batteries - and particularly considering that the Classic's specs aren't cutting-edge enough to keep the upgrade wolves at bay for many more years than the Bold would, it might not be worth the effort it would take for me to adjust to something new right now.

So...thoughts? I'm mainly curious as to how, exactly, OS10 is different. Is the 'right-click' analogue of holding down the BB key to display a context menu still operational? Are any features lacking or difficult to adjust to? What (besides wider app support) are the benefits?

Thanks!
    10-06-14 12:05 AM
    check this thread...

this person seems to be unable to digest the fact that os7 and os10 are completely different and were never meant to be exactly the same

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-back-964994/
    10-06-14 12:23 AM
    Checked that thread, thank you...synching contacts is not a feature I use, so that won't be a factor.

I frequently use keyboard shortcuts when web browsing (top/bottom/refresh/etc), but not to launch apps. Are web shortcuts still around?

Some of the issues mentioned stem from lack of toolbelt, which hopefully won't be an issue with the Classic.

The thread notes that there were a lot of these sorts of issues a few years ago when OS10 first launched - do you know of a guide or list of the differences between each OS that might have been posted at that time?
    10-06-14 01:26 AM
    There are many changes between 10 and 7. Most of them good. The browser is fantastic on 10. The shortcuts for back (p). And reload (l) are there, I assume forward is also.

Text editing is not as easy or straightforward, but I assume the classic will fix that.

The amazon app store as a ton of apps, and the whole Google play store is available with one small hack, but I don't use many apps either, mostly shortcuts to websites.

Ask some specific questions if you want, but the classic forum is already full of arguments about the transition from bold to classic, so I would say read up.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:53 AM
    The browser is fantastic on 10. The shortcuts for back (p). And reload (l) are there, I assume forward is also.
    Currently my shortcuts in use are back key for back, (r)=refresh, (t)=top, (b)=bottom, (f)=find on page, and space/caps+space to scroll down/up. I can adjust to new assigned keys, but I'd miss the functionality if it were gone altogether.

Text editing is not as easy or straightforward, but I assume the classic will fix that.
    Mainly because of the difficulty of selecting without the trackpad, I'm guessing? Or are there other issues?

If you plan to stick with Blackberry beyond another year, I'd migrate to OS10 as soon as reasonably possible. There's a lot in the new OS the old can't do, and it only gets better by the day.
    I'm definitely a Blackberry convert for life, so whenever I upgrade my Bold, it will be to a BB device. I'm just trying to get an idea of which legacy features the Classic will be lacking - some of the ones I see complained about, I don't even use in the first place - so I can weigh those cons against the pros of wider app support. (Or find workarounds for said features in advance.)
    10-06-14 05:42 PM
    Yes, all the same browser shortcuts are there, I just tried them all. I am on a Q10, with the same software that the clasic will have upon release.

Yes the lack of track pad is the difference in text selection.

One definite plus is that on the old BB's you could turn on application shortcuts, or universal search, but now you can have both. You get to pick your shortcuts, long press on a key to set it up, and again to use it. At the same time, you start typing from any home screen, and BB assistant starts up and provides universal search results.

She even has some advantages, over the BBos way, as in you can type email tom, and a compose window will popup ready for you to select which Tom and start sending. Those are called instant actions now, and several are available.
    10-06-14 06:55 PM
    She even has some advantages, over the BBos way, as in you can type email tom, and a compose window will popup ready for you to select which Tom and start sending. Those are called instant actions now, and several are available.
    I don't see this example as an advantage, was easier and faster on BBOS - press M then press C then type Tom.
    10-07-14 12:12 PM
    On my q right now it is the same c for compose, the letter corresponding to the account you want to send too,type contact,
    choices...
    10-08-14 11:28 AM
    I just tried them all. I am on a Q10, with the same software that the clasic will have upon release
    Just curious, the Passport launched with 10.3 and the Classic is being launched with 10.3.1 and I haven't seen any iterations beyond 10.3.0.xxxx. Where did you grab 10.3.1?
    10-08-14 12:23 PM
    EDIT: I think my link takes you to page 40, but the autoloaderts are linked in the OP.

there was a 10.3.1.632 autol0oader available in the leak forum last weekm let me look....

OS 10.3.1.632 /SW 10.3.1.396 Autoloaders for Z10STL234,Q10,Q5 and Z30 - Page 45 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

that should get you a full working 10.3.1 unless you have a z3 or stl-1 z10, then you get a crippled developer os, unless i am behind, because my first unread is on page 40.
    10-08-14 03:53 PM
    Editing documents on the Q10 is a cake walk and is quite up there with the track-pad enabled 9900 - I'd say it's pretty much on par, once you've figured things out.
    10-08-14 09:23 PM
    Jenna, i'm a 9900 user planning to upgrade to Q20 "Classic" once available. I 100% agree with MTaylor's well reasoned advice to choose carefully and for the right reasons. Also, that one of those right reasons is that BB10 is absolutely the future of BlackBerry and that BB10.3.1 will likely be as good as it gets for a while. And that's pretty good! Promising to restore a great deal of functionality you're likely accustomed to with your 9790. BB10's browser is vastly superior to our older browsers. Yes, T, B, P, N, I, O work. R gets you "reader mode", now, with refresh moved to L so...

Since no one on this thread has actually held and used a BB10.3.1 "Classic", all any of us can provide is our best conjecture as advice, at this point. My general advice to anyone considering upgrade to a new model is to get one in hand and walk it through it's paces. Your comment about the feel of your 9790 in your hand leads me to advise that you might want to anticipate the need for a little time to adjust to the dimensions of the larger device. Your comment about your 9790's spare batteries leads me to point out that the new device will probably not provide swappable battery configuration. It IS expected to be fitted with a VERY high capacity battery and probably provide a full day or two of endurance per charge. Also, there are external battery packs that can help. My device use is VERY demanding and i'm anticipating that the fixed battery will be manageable for my extreme use, if that helps ease your mind on that. That's about most of what i can think of to provide as a heads up.

Since you're already onto the trackpad, no need to mention much more other than WELCOME to the world of precision that the Q20 "Classic" promises to provide for BB10!!
    10-09-14 02:12 AM
    Yes, get the Classic... I guarantee that you will love it.

From a Z30
    10-09-14 09:19 PM
    OS7 is slowwwwwww

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:00 AM
    In November of last year, I put down my ancient candybar phone and got in the market for something web-enabled. My first instinct was Blackberry, but I was leery of the lack of app support - surely there had to be *something* running Android (Apple didn't, and does not as a rule, figure into my consideration) that wouldn't leave me dependent on a touchscreen.

...or not. Okay, Blackberry it was then, apps or no apps. But considering I like to hold on to technology for a good long time once I get used to it, I might as well get the very newest one out there, to squeeze the maximum amount of years from it before it was outdated.

...what's that you say? The latest QWERTY-enabled Blackberry doesn't have a trackpad? Well ****. Okay, fine, I'll skip back a generation or so.

I dithered and debated and bemoaned the impossibility of holding the phone in my hand and playing with it before committing to an Amazon purchase, but finally settled on the Bold 9790.

Please bear in mind that my standards were low, coming as I was from my faithful Samsung C207 (look it up and laugh), but I fell in love. Device navigation, web browsing, context menus, and text entry and manipulation were all easy and intuitive. (By comparison, whenever I get handed my roommate's Alcatel Fierce and told 'Here, figure out how to make it do X', I'm presently overcome by the urge to fling it across the room and scream.) And I could still see myself hanging on to it for another decade until I'm forced to upgrade to a phone embedded in my eyelashes or whatever the trend is then.

But upon announcement of the Classic, I was tempted for several reasons. Apps are the main one - I'm getting really sick of the 'click here for Android/click here for iPhone' buttons. (I like to imagine there's an invisible button beside them that reads 'for Blackberry, go screw yourself'.) And of the few I could find with BB support, many demanded OS10. What's more, I understand that 10 can sideload at least some Android apps. Yes, I've got enough on my Bold for my basic needs - a text editor, an Office analogue, facebook, google maps, a few games, and of course I can accomplish most of what I need to on the internet itself. But I've yet to find a decent radio or music streaming app, and most commercial or site-based offerings are out of the question. (My local library endeared itself to me (further) by including a BB version of its chosen e-book app, but I still long for Goodreads.)

I also find video to be laggy on occasion, though I never watch much beyond youtube, and a front-facing camera would be nice. Ditto the option to have more than one text or Office document open at once. And I frequently wish there were a 'select all' function or a way to remote-kill a buggy program without restarting the whole phone.

If this were a year ago, I'd grab the Classic without hesitation, but I've grown spoiled by the Bold's small, rounded, comfy hand-feel and my collection of charged spare batteries - and particularly considering that the Classic's specs aren't cutting-edge enough to keep the upgrade wolves at bay for many more years than the Bold would, it might not be worth the effort it would take for me to adjust to something new right now.

So...thoughts? I'm mainly curious as to how, exactly, OS10 is different. Is the 'right-click' analogue of holding down the BB key to display a context menu still operational? Are any features lacking or difficult to adjust to? What (besides wider app support) are the benefits?

Thanks!
    Hi I think that the classic will be a significant upgrade From your 9790. Although the classic isn't bleeding edge specs it offer a huge upgrade for u coming from the bold especially considering the move to bb10. U would be going from a single core cpu to a dual core, and from. 768mb ram to 2 gb. Just like computers that are obsolete 6 months later technically they will always perform the same as the day u bought them aside from them breaking of course. The only thing that make them obsolete is that there's something faster out there.Bb10's browser is fantastic compared to os7's browser the hub is another feature I really like.

I recently upgraded to bb10 From a bold 9900. I was going to wait for the classic but my bold broke a little too soon so I grabbed a z 10 cheep for now while I wait and in very happy with it. Bb10 is better than I expected. I don't think u will be disappointed with the classic unless I are the kind that needs the latest and greatest. Considering the history u have shared I think imo the classic is a perfect fit for u.

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-10-14 03:56 AM
    OS7 is slowwwwwww

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's my only reason to upgrade phones. It may only be a 3 second wait but it's 3 seconds for many things around the phone, not just 1 particular function I'm doing. Slightly larger screen will be appreciated too.
    10-10-14 07:36 AM
    When you get BlackBerry 10, you won't understand how you ever lived without it.
    Your computers might start collecting dust

Posted via CB10
    anon6040766 likes this.
    10-10-14 07:52 AM