A week ago I posted my one month review of my BlackBerry Classic, I stated in the review that my particular device was 100% perfect with no quality control issues at all. I would like to now admit that whilst at the time everything was solid, I have indeed experienced some issues which have sadly detracted somewhat from the 'perfect phone'.

I upgraded to the Classic from my Bold 9900 and did so after playing with the demonstration Q-10 a year ago and determining that I needed the toolbelt.

It has come to my attention that there are indeed some quality issues with the BlackBerry Classic, however I would still stand by my statement that overall the device is a significant upgrade from the Bold 9900 and none of the problems I'm experiencing impact the overall functionality of the phone.

There are two issues:

- Double Typing
    When typing long documents or messages very occasionally the device registers an extra input of the letters o, i, e. I do not believe this is a hardware issue as the problem cannot be replicated by repeated pressing of one of the affected keys followed by a space bar input. Generally speaking when this occurs, the phone's auto correct feature kicks in and replaces the miss spelt word. On the rare occasion this doesn't happen then of course I need to go back and fix this error.

I understand that the Q-10 suffered from double-typing to the point where the device became for some people completely unusable. I can appreciate then how some users would see this as a problem which would completely ruin any potential prospective purchase of the BlackBerry Classic.

All I can say is that the problem of double typing is so rare that in the beginning I assumed I was just pressing on the letter twice, I am very accurate and fast on the BlackBerry keyboard but I would say one in every 200 words I either press the wrong key or miss a letter entirely. The issue of double typing comes secondary again to this human error and therefore does not really affect the way in which the device functions overall - yes the problem does exist however it is so rare that it hasn't happened once in this message, nor the three emails I sent before. I know this is of little comfort to those Q-10 users however honestly it's a non-issue.

The second issue which I wanted to point out is the keyboard is indeed looser than that of the Bold 9900. I put this down to the fact that the keyboard is longer and therefore the space bar bigger. At no point does a press of the space bar not 'register' even if pressed on the extreme left or right side - but it is notably less stable than all the other keys without being 'wobbly'.

Both of these issues were only brought to my attention from reading threads on Crackberry and I doubt very much that if I wasn't spoiled with the super high quality of the keyboard on the Bold 9900 and this was my first phone - I wouldn't be mentioning these things at all.

I certainly don't deem any of these problems as they are to be 'faults' as they do not impact on the functionality of the device 99.9% of the time.

I just thought I'd share.

I previously rated this device 10/10 but it has fallen to a 9.5/10.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    awindsr likes this.
    04-05-15 07:23 AM
    If the double typing happens for certain letters and it isn't completely random, then I would assume it actually is a hardware issue. Unfortunately it seems with physical keyboards there's always that chance to get one that does this. 9900, Q10, and Classic all have this possibility. Do a warranty exchange while it's still under warranty. If you get one without the issue at all, sometimes it'll never happen. It's not something that they all develop, it's kind of a roll of the dice, you either get one that never gets it, or one that does and it'll get worse. Kind of like the "silicone lottery" when buying processors, not everything is the same even if it's supposed to be the same...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-05-15 09:58 AM
    A week ago I posted my one month review of my BlackBerry Classic, I stated in the review that my particular device was 100% perfect with no quality control issues at all. I would like to now admit that whilst at the time everything was solid, I have indeed experienced some issues which have sadly detracted somewhat from the 'perfect phone'.

I upgraded to the Classic from my Bold 9900 and did so after playing with the demonstration Q-10 a year ago and determining that I needed the toolbelt.

It has come to my attention that there are indeed some quality issues with the BlackBerry Classic, however I would still stand by my statement that overall the device is a significant upgrade from the Bold 9900 and none of the problems I'm experiencing impact the overall functionality of the phone.

There are two issues:

- Double Typing
    When typing long documents or messages very occasionally the device registers an extra input of the letters o, i, e. I do not believe this is a hardware issue as the problem cannot be replicated by repeated pressing of one of the affected keys followed by a space bar input. Generally speaking when this occurs, the phone's auto correct feature kicks in and replaces the miss spelt word. On the rare occasion this doesn't happen then of course I need to go back and fix this error.

I understand that the Q-10 suffered from double-typing to the point where the device became for some people completely unusable. I can appreciate then how some users would see this as a problem which would completely ruin any potential prospective purchase of the BlackBerry Classic.

All I can say is that the problem of double typing is so rare that in the beginning I assumed I was just pressing on the letter twice, I am very accurate and fast on the BlackBerry keyboard but I would say one in every 200 words I either press the wrong key or miss a letter entirely. The issue of double typing comes secondary again to this human error and therefore does not really affect the way in which the device functions overall - yes the problem does exist however it is so rare that it hasn't happened once in this message, nor the three emails I sent before. I know this is of little comfort to those Q-10 users however honestly it's a non-issue.

The second issue which I wanted to point out is the keyboard is indeed looser than that of the Bold 9900. I put this down to the fact that the keyboard is longer and therefore the space bar bigger. At no point does a press of the space bar not 'register' even if pressed on the extreme left or right side - but it is notably less stable than all the other keys without being 'wobbly'.

Both of these issues were only brought to my attention from reading threads on Crackberry and I doubt very much that if I wasn't spoiled with the super high quality of the keyboard on the Bold 9900 and this was my first phone - I wouldn't be mentioning these things at all.

I certainly don't deem any of these problems as they are to be 'faults' as they do not impact on the functionality of the device 99.9% of the time.

I just thought I'd share.

I previously rated this device 10/10 but it has fallen to a 9.5/10.

Thank you for the honest post. Yes it sounds like a software issue to me. The fact it's hard to replicate the double-typing indicates the software 'hiccups' at certain points and causes the double typing.

I haven't experienced double-typing on my Passport or Q10 at all. I am planning on eventually getting a Classic and your post encouraged me to buy one with confidence.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:30 AM
    Thanks for the post, mine double types since the latest update.. it is very random no specific key, also noticed it drops a lot of calls since latest update.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:37 AM
    After another day spent typing long emails I haven't experienced another example of my device double typing. Additionally, the loose space bar which I complained about before really only seems to be noticeable when I focus more on the keyboard than what I am typing. I haven't experienced any dropped calls or any other issues which affect the performance of the phone.

Again I really cannot fault the new classic, the build quality is superb and after running in the keyboard I feel as confident on the classic as I did on the Bold 9900.

I would urge anyone who experiences double typing issues to restart the phone or give it a day or so - all in all it seems to affect one in every 1000 words typed on a 'bad' day - I just didn't want to make a review stating I'd never experienced it when I have on a couple of occasions.

Let me put it this way, if my Bold 9900 was still in perfect working condition but I knew the Classic had been released, I would still upgrade without a second thought. This device is brilliant and anyone considering purchasing it should do so with full confidence!

Happy typing!!!

04-06-15 10:20 AM
    It seems that the double typing issue is a debounce software issue. Probably when the phone becomes too overused without restart the debounce function on the keyboard doesn't always react as it should. Me I have yet to experience a double typing but I am enjoying the classic to its full potential and extremely pleased with it. Blend is also a nice addition to the package. I like seeing on my computer screen messages and who is calling without having to check the phone. Now wouldn't it be nice to answer calls from the computer!!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:14 AM
    My device works and that's all that matters to me. Perhaps you should go with a Z10

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    04-06-15 03:37 PM
    Good post, the Classic is a wonderful phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 04:54 PM
    Yes I agree with the OP on the double typing issue, especially with keys o, i, and e. This is the exact same problem that I have (which I also don't think is a hardware issue)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-07-15 02:37 AM