I have a Q10 and like it a lot, however my contract is up soon and I'm wondering if the classic is really an upgrade. I don't want to spend the next 2 years with essentially the same phone, as the specs already seem dated. Is there something else that could be a successor in the pipeline? Any rumors?

Envoy� par mon Z10
    01-10-15 03:14 PM
    That depends on what you use your phone for. If it's mostly communications, the Classic is perfect. If you need a lot more you might want to go Passport.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    01-10-15 03:30 PM
    The Classic isn't really the successor of the Q10, at least it is not marketed as being one. There was word of a possible Classic 2 later this year, BlackBerry is said to release a roadmap with upcoming devices in the following months, maybe we'll get some additional insight what is really on the horizon.

As for getting the Classic: I am a day one Q10 user, switched to the Passport two and a half months ago and now switched over to the Classic. I think switching from the Q10 can be worth it, however it strongly depends on your own expectations. In terms of performance, there is no difference. The larger display is nice, I also like they decided to use a LCD screen instead of going with another SuperAMOLED display.
    The keyboard is god like, BlackBerry really nailed it here. The keys are slightly wider than the ones used on the Q, but it is enough to improve overall typing experience. The new tactile feedback is pretty impressive for such a keyboard. For me, display and keyboard alone were worth the switch.

The trackpad is a welcomed addition, especially when it comes to text editing, I also really like the cursor mode in the browser. As for navigation, I rarely use the trackpad, mostly for one-handed use. The same goes with the toolbelt. Most of the time I use it just like I used my Q10.

You need to make up your mind whether you want to live with essentially two year old hardware on a new contract phone. Do you need the trackpad, toolbelt and larger display? If not really, I'd say you should at least wait till we get some news about upcoming devices.

Posted via CB10
    matador22 and Dunmanway Emar like this.
    01-10-15 04:34 PM
    Thanks! This kind of confirmed what I was thinking, that I should wait to see what else BlackBerry has coming. I like the Q10, and the LCD over the AMOLED would be a welcome trade, but I don't think that'd justify the trade.

Envoy� par mon Z10
    01-10-15 05:18 PM
    Imo it's what the q10 should have been.. the pre2 was what the pre should have been also.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 06:13 PM
    I wouldn't say the Classic is a successor to the Q10. It's the device that should have been released before the Q10. The leadership that brought us BlackBerry 10 underestimated the demand of the toolbelt and larger screen for a keyboard device. I understand that BlackBerry wanted to step out of the "old" Bold look and feel. Many people didn't see that as old, rather, they saw it as classic (pun intended).

I think the build and style of the Q10 is what should have been planned for the Classic II. The black edges, great speakers, softer keyboard, and carbon fiber (?) back. These things are great on the Q10, and make it feel like a quality device and a step above the Bold and Classic in those respects.

As far as specs goes, I'm okay with the Classic's specs. I use my phone for calls, messaging, email, and a photograph every now and then, so the specs are good for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:04 PM
    The Classic is just a side step of Q10. The Q10 did not workout for blackberry, as far as sales go, and so you have the classic that adds the following things to Q10:

Toolbelt
    Bigger screen
    LCD Screen
    A slightly better camera ( I am not sure about this)
    An improved keyboard (no double type issue has been reported thus far with the classic)
    Put together by Foxconn

At the end of the day blackberry took a chance on the Q10 design and it did not workout. The feedback they got back on the Q10 lead to Classic. If you think about it he Classic is taking what was good about the bold/curve series and combing it the Q10 (except for the removal able battery).

If the OP is happy with the Q10, then I would wait and see what might becoming down the pipeline. Thus far it seems that the Q10 form factor ,4 row physical keyboard device with no toolbelt, is dead. The only thing that we have hint about is a classic 2 being planned, but there is no timetable on when or if it will get release. I think the release of the classic 2 will be based upon how well the Classic sells. I expect that if a Classic 2 is release it will not pop up until next year and that more than likely it will be rocking the current passport internals or either the passport 2 internals.
    01-10-15 10:28 PM
    I think Q10 is a mistake
    They should have released classic instead two years ago and RIM history would be better.

I had Q10 now have classic and definetly this is a great phone, almost PERFECT!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 10:35 PM
    I have a Q10 and like it a lot, however my contract is up soon and I'm wondering if the classic is really an upgrade. I don't want to spend the next 2 years with essentially the same phone, as the specs already seem dated. Is there something else that could be a successor in the pipeline? Any rumors?

Envoy� par mon Z10
    The Classic is not an upgrade over the Q10. However, 10.3.1 on the Q10 is a huge update! The keyboard shortcuts for launching apps, OS functions, and phone calls, makes the upcoming update what the Q should have been from the start.

When the Q first came out it felt like a pkb tacked onto a gesture based OS but 10.3.1 returns the keyboard to relevancy within the OS.

The classic, with its trackpad and belt, adds a third way of navigation. For me it's personally not needed but it's an option for those that want it.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1154 | Bell | via CB10
    01-10-15 11:01 PM
    The Classic is just a side step of Q10. The Q10 did not workout for blackberry, as far as sales go, and so you have the classic that adds the following things to Q10:

Toolbelt
    Bigger screen
    LCD Screen: But also at a lower ppi, advantage over Q10's AMOLED screen is arguable.

A slightly better camera ( I am not sure about this): Nope. Exactly identical hardware.

An improved keyboard (no double type issue has been reported thus far with the classic): Too early to tell.

Put together by Foxconn: Not a positive or a negative point.
    The only real advantage of the Classic over the Q10 are the bigger screen and battery, and the toolbelt.

Even the Classic battery, there is a small increase in battery size over the Q10, but the ability to be user replaceable is gone.

The classic is certainly not worth the $500 price right now.

If you want the Classic, I would wait until the price goes down a bit.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 02:07 AM
    I have been using my Q10 as my sole device for the past 19 months. I think that it is a well made device, and it has been a delight to use. That said, I've got to admit that the Classic is what the Q10 should have been in the first place.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 01-11-15 at 03:02 AM.
    01-11-15 02:40 AM