Hey everyone,

Looking to pick up a new BlackBerry device and my two choices are the Q5 and the Classic. I can get the Q5 for $150 taxes in, or the Classic for $575-600 depending on where I buy it (again, taxes incl.).

I primarily use my phone for web surfing, texting, email, phone calls, Facebook, occasionally use the camera as well. Not really looking for apps as whats built into BB10 will do the job so its mostly communication stuff. Wondering which would be the best choice and why.

Thanks for the help.
    03-07-15 01:07 PM
    Amazon has these for $300 open-box 399 new. I would look at Amazon. Are you talking about USD? It seems so because I was also considering the Q5, but it didn't seem like it was a phone that would last 2, or more, years. I would highly recommend a Classic, otherwise a open box Q10 is likely pretty cheap. If you aren't afraid of ebay, a used Q10 can be had for less than $100 shipped.
    03-07-15 01:44 PM
    If budget is not an issue then go for Classic ofcourse. Bigger screen, better battery, awesome build quality, iconic design, the best BlackBerry keyboard till date(IMO), better camera, faster processor, latest device and ofcourse the toolbelt.
    Personally I feel it's the best BlackBerry ever.

But Q5 makes a serious value for money buy. overall decent performance and good BlackBerry 10 experience.
    Not a fan of its looks and keyboard so cannot recommend wholeheartedly,

BTW That's like choosing between a freelander 2 and a vogue ! :P

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:55 PM
    Sounds like either you can't or don't want to do a 2-yr upgrade. You can get a Classic at Verizon for $99 for an upgrade or $49 for a new line.
    03-07-15 04:14 PM
    I actually bought a Q10 over the Classic or Passport, primarily because I was coming back to the blackberry platform and wanted a cheaper version of OS10. I got the Q10 because I had a 9900 in the past and loved the layout of that keyboard. It cost 185US on Amazon for an unlocked version.

I would say the Classic over the Q5 due to screen real estate and it is an updated version of past blackberries.
    But, if you are looking at the price, then the Q5 wins and is available for 165 US unlocked on Amazon.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    03-07-15 06:07 PM
    I have been thinking about this same comparison (q5 vs Classic) lately because I have reached the limit of my patience with my double typing Q10.

I am testing out a Q5 right now for my daily use. I am also a 90% communications user (zero social media). Hard core business user but seldom any spreadsheets. After about a week I am quite okay with the Q5. I like its size and lcd screen display. And I really like not having the aggravation of the cursed double typing. I am still running 10.2.1 and my expectation is a stable 10.3.1 on the Q5 will make it very snappy.

My plan is to hopefully enjoy the Q5 for awhile and keep an eye on the Classic. The blue Classic looks great in pictures. However, there are reports of double typing on the Classic and that would be enough to put me over the edge.

The little Q5 is a great device. Don't discount it.

Posted via CB10
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    03-07-15 07:48 PM
    Since ive never owned q5, cant compare q5 with classic but I have q10 and classic and q10 is now in my brother's hands...And even him wants classic. I strongly recommend classic. You can get one in ebay or amazon at 300 for open box.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:02 PM
    Hey everyone,

Looking to pick up a new BlackBerry device and my two choices are the Q5 and the Classic. I can get the Q5 for $150 taxes in, or the Classic for $575-600 depending on where I buy it (again, taxes incl.).

I primarily use my phone for web surfing, texting, email, phone calls, Facebook, occasionally use the camera as well. Not really looking for apps as whats built into BB10 will do the job so its mostly communication stuff. Wondering which would be the best choice and why.

Thanks for the help.
    The classic trumps the Q5 everywhere.
    And that is even before adding the toolbelt into the mix and what it brings to the table to increase flexibility.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:59 PM
    I have been thinking about this same comparison (q5 vs Classic) lately because I have reached the limit of my patience with my double typing Q10.

I am testing out a Q5 right now for my daily use. I am also a 90% communications user (zero social media). Hard core business user but seldom any spreadsheets. After about a week I am quite okay with the Q5. I like its size and lcd screen display. And I really like not having the aggravation of the cursed double typing. I am still running 10.2.1 and my expectation is a stable 10.3.1 on the Q5 will make it very snappy.

My plan is to hopefully enjoy the Q5 for awhile and keep an eye on the Classic. The blue Classic looks great in pictures. However, there are reports of double typing on the Classic and that would be enough to put me over the edge.

The little Q5 is a great device. Don't discount it.

Posted via CB10
    There is a thread here somewhere, and the person fixed the double typing issue by shifting slightly, the actuator under the keyboard. Noticed an obvious alignment issue under the keyboard.
    Don't have the link. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 09:05 PM
    I would say buy a Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:37 AM
    Both phones are good for what you require a device for.

Again, based on what you said you require a phone for, the only decider is your budget.

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2267)
    03-08-15 03:41 AM
    If you have to pay that much for a classic, I would get the passport instead. I personally tried the Q5 for a few days and it felt cheap compared to my Q10 and the storage space on the 5 got full in no time and I only used it for two days. My Passport is the best smartphone I ever owned! I am still typing on it at 5am as I cant put it down even after 6 months! Actually they just moved the clocks ahead by an hour but you get the picture!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-08-15 04:10 AM
    I'm using a Q5 as my daily driver right now. It's a pretty smooth little phone that gives a great bang for the buck in my opinion. I actually use it strictly for business and BBM. I left the Blackberry platform after the Torch. So I needed a cheap introduction into the BB10 platform as a previous reply stated. Plus I was really digging the red one which is a great blend for my company's logo :-). Now that it has been tested I really want to try a passport. BTW...it was $159.00 unlocked and shipped via Amazon. Updated too!

Posted via CB10
    awindsr and Tessoro Desoto like this.
    03-22-15 06:05 PM
    Classic is better!
    03-22-15 10:20 PM
    + second that.

I was surprised how smooth it was, fast enough if you ask me. Very clean and simple design/layout. Keyboard was a bit funky at first but then I got used to clicking sound and going to Q10 keyboard was a bit unusual at first. Value wise it's an excellent phone.
    03-23-15 07:31 AM