Also,

BlackBerry Classic supports wireless charging.

I think this is a fairly significant feature which often gets overlooked.

More information on this feature is available from BlackBerry website: Help and Manuals / Devices / Wireless Charging / About Wireless Charging

I'd post link, however I haven't met the 10 post minimum requirement.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 01:14 PM
    Also,

BlackBerry Classic supports wireless charging.

I think this is a fairly significant feature which often gets overlooked.

More information on this feature is available from BlackBerry website: Help and Manuals / Devices / Wireless Charging / About Wireless Charging

I'd post link, however I haven't met the 10 post minimum requirement.

Posted via CB10
    Only on the carrier branded models. Att and Verizon, don't know about Canadian carrier models.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:44 PM
    Same as the Q10 it doesn't take amazing photos all the time. In the right light it's good with the new update for me it improved the focus. Or how long it took to focus. Bottom line it's an ok camera if you have time.

Posted via CB10
    This is a question I've had about Q10 vs Classic too. So from what I think you mean the Classic does take longer than Q10 to take a picture? As far focus, my Q10 drives me crazy sometimes. I have a barcode app that some of the time works great. But other times I struggle to get my Q10 to focus on the UPC well enough to read it! Good lighting doesn't help when it refuses to focus. I try moving it closer, farther etc but some days it takes forever to read QR or UPC codes. Does the Classic at least do a better job of taking close up pictures like this?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 08:28 PM
    Twelvezero8, that was a well laid out summary. Thanks! I'm still on the fence on whether Classic is enough better than my Q10 to be worth the cost.

Does the Patatek antenna make a noticeable difference? Have you seen any other things that are better or worse from the Q10?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 08:36 PM
    I found the camera to be quite abysmal on the Classic. Really disappointed in fact, after moving from a Nokia Lumia which took great pictures.

The Classic's images suffered from ghosting, slightly weird colour & it proved very hard to take an image where all the elements were in focus (and it's not like I have jittery hands or anything)!

Luckily, purchasing Camera++ from the Blackberry World store has fixed everything. It's �2 to purchase and completely worth it.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident and jhanks64 like this.
    07-05-15 03:34 PM
    Both have the same specs but the classic seams to run better than the classic IMO. The Q has a smaller keyboard and screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 07:37 PM
    So guy I did it I ordered the white blackberry classic today. man took me back the last white berry I had was like the 9700 I believe. So It should be to me on Tuesday from Amazon. I am looking forward to seeing hwo this phone works for me. question what cases are you guys using... I personally like wallet cases.
    07-05-15 09:47 PM
    So guy I did it I ordered the white blackberry classic today. man took me back the last white berry I had was like the 9700 I believe. So It should be to me on Tuesday from Amazon. I am looking forward to seeing hwo this phone works for me. question what cases are you guys using... I personally like wallet cases.
    Congrats. We'll be here, along with other threads, to help you get set up.

Personally I bought a holster-case combo on eBay. Working pretty great

Posted with my  Classic
    07-05-15 10:14 PM
    thank you I am looking forward to the phone. I just have to buy a Q10 backup now and I am good for bb10.
    07-05-15 11:35 PM
    I'm thinking of getting a Classic as an upgrade to my Z30. Hmmm...

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    07-05-15 11:44 PM
    well when I get a week or so under mine I will upload impression and mini review... you know just my two cents.
    07-06-15 01:18 AM
    Get the Q10. And get the Mugen 4400mah extended battery. The battery life will be better than the Classic.

The extended battery means no worrying about connecting and disconnecting charging cables, no worrying about charging the charger separately, and no loss in energy transfer. You treat it the same as the OEM battery.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-q10-875877/

Once the internal battery degrades in the Classic, you are screwed.

Whereas in the Q10, you can replace the battery as much as you want/need.

If you want to keep the phone for long, the removable battery is a must. The battery degradation is real. And it just does not make sense to have a phone with sealed in batteries.

As for the bigger size of the Classic, it is not an advantage nor a disadvantage. You have to try it for yourself what size you prefer. But it is fairly reasonable to assume that we are never going to get another flagship phone from any manufacturer that is as small as the Q10, in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-06-15 01:22 AM
    thanks for the reply. Yeah I am going with the classic and Q10 as a backup and I think I am good. The bb10 OS is so underrated by mainstream wish more so called journalist and reviewers talked about it. With those two phones I think I will be good on strength of what is bb10. the os is that good and modern that no matter the specs I feel like I always have a modern workhorse in my hands. I also came to realize I am not a big multimedia person. The allure of the big screen and specs of the passport got to me but in the end was not enough to keep me attached to the phone. I love it and think its a great phone but will do better with a classic and Q10 backup.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    07-06-15 02:19 AM
    I use a Classic and a Q10 for my daily drivers. I want separate phones for my personal and office-issued line.

The experience on the Classic is far superior to the Q10. Screen real estate, battery, keyboard, sound, just to name a few. Plus the build of the Classic just exudes an air "I want to get things done." As with the adage: Make time with a BlackBerry. Kill time with others.

I also have a Passport. It is superior to the Classic in terms of hardware. But I still find myself going back to the Classic.

Both the Classic and the Q10 are friendly on the jeans pockets, which I tend to wear most often.

But I will try the Passport again when the leather booktype case I ordered arrives.

Rants of a BlackBerry junkie.

 rockin' a Classic and a Q10 combo 
    07-06-15 07:30 AM
    @skstrials: I used to believe that too. And would staunchly choose only smartphones with easily removable batteries. When I purchased the Classic, that was my acknowledgement that I have never replaced a battery in any smartphone I've owned.

The longest I've owned a single smartphone was two years, and the battery in that was still pretty good at the end of that time. The Classic's fixed battery is negated somewhat if you can close down all the 'run in background' options of your installed apps. When you do this the battery life greatly improves, reducing the number of recharge cycles over, say, a two year period.

As an example, my phone came off charge at 11:40am on Saturday, and finally ran out of battery at nearly 11:40am today (the following Monday). No smartphone has given me that much battery life off a single charge before (admittedly I wasn't using it manically during this time), but for a second-hand phone purchased in May, I'm confident in that sort of battery life.

@Omel: I find even the Classic just slightly too big for a jeans pocket. I've ordered the holster now. I got out my old Nokia feature phone from 2007 the other day, and that feels like nothing is in your pocket. Remember when it didn't feel like you were carrying a fat box of electronics in your pocket?
    Last edited by One Brain Cell; 07-06-15 at 03:44 PM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-06-15 12:19 PM
    @skstrials: I used to believe that too. And would staunchly only choose only smartphones with easily removable batteries. When I purchased the Classic, that was my self-acknowledgement that I have never replaced a battery in removable battery in any smartphone I've owned.

The longest I've owned a single smartphone was two years, and the battery in that was still pretty good at the end of that time. The Classic's fixed battery is negated somewhat if you can close down all the 'run in background' options of your installed apps. When you do this the battery life greatly improves, reducing the number of recharge cycles over, say, a two year period.

As an example, my phone came off charge at 11:40am on Saturday, and finally ran out of battery at nearly 11:40am today (the following Monday). No smartphone has given me that much battery life off a single charge before (admittedly I wasn't using it manically during this time), but for a second-hand phone purchased in May, I'm confident in that sort of battery life.
    If you want to get a new phone every 2 years, then by all means, the fixed battery could work out for you. And if you could drop $500-$700 every two years on a new phone, then good for you!

But there are also people like me who want to use a phone for 3+ years, and also have them ready as a backup after. If I like a phone, I do not want to be forced to upgrade, or pay excessive amount of money just to change the battery.

Think about how many people still use the 9900, they would not be able to do that if they could not replace their old batteries. And the "how to replace the battery" threads are starting to pop up in the Z30 and the Q5 forum, soon you will also see them in the Classic and the Passport forum too.

The fixed battery phones go well together with phone providers wanting to lock you into a 2 year contract since the phones physically cannot last more than that.

BlackBerry phones do not age as quickly as other phones. Their softwares are kept fast; and their hardwares are built well. But none of those matter if the battery does not work.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-06-15 02:35 PM
    @skstrials: That’s a fair point well made. I minimise cost by trading in my previous phone against the cost of a new one, or against the cost of an expensive second-hand phone (Classic). I can only do this because I’ve a few shops close by that offer decent trade-in value. However, without this option I would never have purchased a Classic at all.

So yes, I agree with you. I would prefer an easily replaceable battery and expandable memory. Since finding these shops I’ve jumped on the bandwagon of trading in my phone when the time is optimal. I bought the Classic first and foremost with the knowledge that I would trade it in if it was no good, take the hit on the money lost & try Android for the first time. It hasn’t come to that, but it is in my head to move the Classic on at some point in the next year or two. Ideally for the Classic 2 (fingers crossed, because I enjoy the classic and Blackberry OS).

[Edit] But yeah, definitely not $500-700. I trade in, plus sell off other old tech and whatnot. The original price of this phone was prohibitive, I can't imagine spending even more on, say, an iPhone with a decent amount of internal storage!

[Edit 2] I've also seen a battery teardown on a Classic and its horrible. Sealed in tight with glue, with lots of little clips, screws and extra bits to remove before you can even get to it! (I watched this before making the purchase).
    skstrials likes this.
    07-06-15 03:53 PM
    Battery life is tremendous for the Classic; however, it is not removable, so you can't bring a spare battery with you. Not that I have even come close to running out of battery life, but it was just more of peace of mind to be able to carry around a spare battery just in case.

With the Classic, I can use some apps that would not work on the Q10: Xfinity TV Remote, Playstation, ESPN Fantasy Football. It's just a better phone. Love having the trackpad for when editing text.

If money is that much of an issue, you'll be fine with the Q. But otherwise go with the Classic.

Posted with my  Classic
    Non-removable batteries used to concern me greatly, to the point where it was a major factor in my choice of a new device. Now, however, with the advent of external battery packs that are pocked-sized and offer double the power of a second battery, removable batteries are moot.
    07-06-15 07:13 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:39 PM
    Non-removable batteries used to concern me greatly, to the point where it was a major factor in my choice of a new device. Now, however, with the advent of external battery packs that are pocked-sized and offer double the power of a second battery, removable batteries are moot.
    Removable battery phones can still be charged with external chargers with the option of installing bigger batteries with a bigger back cover.

Since you are installing a bigger battery "inside" the phone, you can maximize the size of the battery even with a same physical size.

Furthermore, there is no loss of electricity in charging, no worrying about connecting and disconnecting cables, and no charging the charger separately.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 08:07 PM
    Removable battery phones can still be charged with external chargers with the option of installing bigger batteries with a bigger back cover.

Since you are installing a bigger battery "inside" the phone, you can maximize the size of the battery even with a same physical size.

Furthermore, there is no loss of electricity in charging, no worrying about connecting and disconnecting cables, and no charging the charger separately.

Posted via CB10
    Even those maximum sized batteries that don't add some kludge of a humpback battery cover can't match the power of an external battery that's the size of a roll of LiveSavers. And you still have to charge the spare battery at some point, so that's no different than charging the external battery. It's cleaner to swap a new battery in for a discharged one rather than keep the external pack connected to your device while it recharges the internal battery, but I consider it a trade-off: multiple charges from the external battery before it needs to be recharged itself, vs. one charge from the swappable/removable spare battery.
    07-07-15 09:04 AM
    Plus swapping out an internal battery would require the phone to reboot which takes time when you sometimes can't afford it.
    I don't need to use any, but if I did even with a phone with a removable battery, it would be one of those lipstick battery packs.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 10:46 AM
    @Rambo47 I use one of those too; an Anker 16,000mah. The charging cord it comes with is long enough for the Anker to sit in my pocket whilst I hold the phone up to my ear. Doesn't look too weird either.
    07-07-15 12:16 PM
    I do find the Q to be snappier than the Classic in general, maybe it's just me.

However you have to remember that the screen on the Q will generally be partially covered by your thumb, whereas with the Classic it needn't be.

I do adore the Q, but the benefit of the toolbar and better, LCD display beat it.

Passport is just too wide and slow for me to type on.
    07-07-15 03:46 PM
    I use a Classic. I wanted a backup device so I purchased a like new Q10 for less than $100. I just finished setting it up and installing the latest OS updates. I love the small size, but I really did miss the toolbelt for navigation.

Still, the Q10 will work just fine should the need arise for me to use it as a daily driver. The keyboard on the Q10 was actually easier for me to type on due to the keys requiring less force to press.

Both great phones (I owned a Q10 when they first launched) but I just prefer the toolbelt as I do a lot of typing and word processing on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-07-15 10:03 PM
111 ... 2345